What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

You guys know Malzahn was a high school coach until a couple of years ago? He just a job at Arky to guarentee that his players signed with them including Mitch Mustain. Anybody can do a good job coaching with a Cam Newton at QB.

He turned Auburn's offense around last year, before Cam Newton was behind center..

Would you want him from last years results? or when he was at Tulsa?

He made Chris freaking Todd look like a competent SEC quarterback. Am I convinced he would be a great head coach? No. Do I attribute all of Auburn's success to Cam Newton? Absolutely not.

But hey, why would I expect a Bama fan to ever have an objective opinion of anything Auburn related?

Would you want him from last years results? or when he was at Tulsa?

He did quite well last year:

Under Malzahn, Auburn made significant improvements over the previous season's offensive production; the Tigers finished the season ranked 16th in total offense (2nd in the SEC against all opponents) with just under 432 yards per gamehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-14 and 17th in scoring with over 33 points per gamehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-15 after being tied for 110th in the nation in scoring the previous seasonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-16. Although he still made significant improvements in his first year, against SEC competition Auburn managed 377.1 total yards a game which placed them 4th in the SEC (behind Alabama, Arkansas, and Ole Miss). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-17His first season broke the Auburn single season total offense record previously set by the undefeated 2004 team. Head coach Gene Chizik had stressed prior to the season that he intended to focus on the run game which showed great improvement as well; the rushing offense finished the season ranked 13th in the nation with 212 yards per gamehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-18 after being ranked 69th prior to the new coaching staff's arrival. Passing numbers also improved under the new offensive scheme, with the passing efficiency ranking ending up 22nd nationallyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#cite_note-20 after being ranked 106th in 2008

He made Chris freaking Todd look like a competent SEC quarterback. Am I convinced he would be a great head coach? No. Do I attribute all of Auburn's success to Cam Newton? Absolutely not.

But hey, why would I expect a Bama fan to ever have an objective opinion of anything Auburn related?

Check out my quotes on our OC also.

Check out my quotes on our OC also.

So basically Malzahn and McElwain get no credit whatsoever for their offenses being pretty damn good? I don't really care why Malzahn was hired at Arky, he produced big time while there. He also produced at Tulsa and then at Auburn. Last I recall during Tuberville's last year the offense was dreadful, absolutely Colorado level. He seems to have turned that around quite nicely, including last year.

I see your point about the lack of experience, but to make him out like he's the Mark Helfrich of the southeast, that's just laughable.

So basically Malzahn and McElwain get no credit whatsoever for their offenses being pretty damn good? I don't really care why Malzahn was hired at Arky, he produced big time while there. He also produced at Tulsa and then at Auburn. Last I recall during Tuberville's last year the offense was dreadful, absolutely Colorado level. He seems to have turned that around quite nicely, including last year.

I see your point about the lack of experience, but to make him out like he's the Mark Helfrich of the southeast, that's just laughable.

Does Arkansas's offense then remind you of Auburn's today? Hell no. Everybody down here knows he never coached there under Nutt.

Does Arkansas's offense then remind you of Auburn's today? Hell no. Everybody down here knows he never coached there under Nutt.

Does Mitch Mustain look like Cam Newton? Hell no. Is it possible he alters his offenses according to the personnel he has on the field?

Charlie, if you were looking for a replacement for Hawkins from the SEC, who would be on your wish list?

The bad thing is I think you followed the right formula last time but it didn't work out and everybody wants to go the OC route. I think CU is too good a school to be teaching a coach how to be a head coach [hiring OCs and DCs who have never been a HC and for the most part are a success because of their players].

Mullen at MSU is going to be a great coach.

:wow: How is Mullen not exactly what you are talking about? Could we not attribute most of his success to Timothy?

I think you're confused where Colorado is. We can't go steal the Dolphins head coach. We can't even steal a head coach in waiting from Texas. Hell I doubt we could steal any of the non BCS top guys like Patterson, Peterson, or Willingham. We have to go the OC/DC route or get a guy that is without employment for whatever reason like: Mike Leach (No), Mac (Maybe), Bellotti (Yes) etc.

:wow: How is Mullen not exactly what you are talking about? Could we not attribute most of his success to Timothy?

I think you're confused where Colorado is. We can't go steal the Dolphins head coach. We can't even steal a head coach in waiting from Texas. Hell I doubt we could steal any of the non BCS top guys like Patterson, Peterson, or Willingham. We have to go the OC/DC route or get a guy that is without employment for whatever reason like: Mike Leach (No), Mac (Maybe), Bellotti (Yes) etc.

That Bill McCartney guy really sucked. I can't believe CU went after a guy with no HC experience, he was just a lowly OC.

That Bill McCartney guy really sucked. I can't believe CU went after a guy with no HC experience, he was just a lowly OC.

Agreed. Head coaches at Boise State are where it's at. Ask Colorado, Arizona State, or Arkansas.

Just for fun lets look at the current AP top 10

1Oregon (49)8-01487 Chip Kelly, no HC experience that I know of. Hell no BCS level experience other than Oregon OC for like 2 years either.
2Boise State (7)7-01403 Chris Peterson. OC under the great Hawk. No HC experience that I know of.
3Auburn (2)9-01396 Gene Chizik. Terrible work as the HC of Iowa State. But hey, some HC experience.
4TCU (2)9-01350 Gary Patterson. No HC experience before TCU, mostly position coaching positions.
5Alabama7-11228 Nick Saban. Plenty of HC experience, taken from an NFL team, probably not an option for Colorado to go this route. Maybe Rex Ryan wants to come coach here?
6Utah8-01147 Kyle Whittingham. Position coach and DC for a few years. No HC experience.
7Wisconsin7-11113 Bret Bielema. Not any HC experience as well as not much DC experience. 5 years as LB coach at Iowa, 2 years of Co-DC at KSU, 2 years as DC at Wisconsin.
8Ohio State8-11010 Jim Tressel. Lots of HC experience at Youngstown State. Even Ohio State couldn't locate someone with a little more going for them than being the HC at Youngstown State for 14 years?
9Nebraska7-1974 Bo Pelini. No HC experience. Solid amount of position coach experience and a few years as a DC.
10Stanford7-1950 Jim Harbaugh. Hilarious lack of experience. He was the head coach at UCSD for 3 years, so he had that going for him.

I'm liking the SEC arguments. They have great coaches and assistants imo, but they still piss and moan about how they suck. If they get 3 TD's, they bitch about how they didn't get 4. If the offense gets four hundred yards, they bitch about not being able to get 500.

SEC fans are something, boy.

10Stanford7-1950 Jim Harbaugh. Hilarious lack of experience. He was the head coach at UCSD for 3 years, so he had that going for him.

Harbaugh was head coach at USD, the University of San Diego. Medium sized catholic school with no scholarships in FCS. I also think that Harbaugh is the best coach in the country. Had to be picky here on you, USD is my alma mater.

I keep having these wonderful dreams about Harbaugh patrolling the sidelines in Boulder.

Harbaugh was head coach at USD, the University of San Diego. Medium sized catholic school with no scholarships in FCS. I also think that Harbaugh is the best coach in the country. Had to be picky here on you, USD is my alma mater.

I keep having these wonderful dreams about Harbaugh patrolling the sidelines in Boulder.

Ah you're right, I saw the San Diego so I just thought it was UCSD. I honestly didn't even know there was just a University of San Diego.

I'm not sure Harbaugh is the best coach in the country, but he is certainly pretty damn good. His lack of experience wasn't a dig at him, it's just funny that Bama Charlie places such an emphasis on it, and yet look at that list. There's pretty much no certain formula that we can look at and get a winning coach. Some of the coaches on there put in the work and finally got a HC gig. Some, like Harbaugh, put in a little work, got a break, and have done amazing at the schools they're at. All I know is, the NFL route is not the ticket.

tell you what... if i can get someone to substantiate it ill post it here... fair enough

OT... you've been nothing but a giant douche lately... i don't know why... and quite frankly i don't give a **** anymore... but if you got a problem with me tell me privately otherwise... get ****ed

Last edited:
OT... you've been nothing but a giant douche lately... i don't know why... and quite frankly i don't give a **** anymore... but if you got a problem with me tell me privately otherwise... get ****ed
You asked me to place Les Miles on the list. I asked why. So that makes me a jerk? :lol: Okay.

Does Mitch Mustain look like Cam Newton? Hell no. Is it possible he alters his offenses according to the personnel he has on the field?

Mustain was there one year and never played much. He is at SC right now. They had McFadden, Jones, and Hillis and they ran the wildcat a lot.

Back