What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

the continuing changing face of NU FB

Excellent! Blackskirt just neg repped me! I guess it's fair since I neg repped him yesterday for not answering the simple question put to him.

His neg rep comment sounded a little hot under the collar: "I did answer it you dumb****! I don't live on the computer 24 hours a day! BS". I guess he doesn't like being called a pussy. Touch a nerve did we BS?

it's like i said before, he was on-line when i made the hourglass post....which was 45 minutes after (at minimum) he had the chance to answer the question put to him.

it's like i said before, he was on-line when i made the hourglass post....which was 45 minutes after (at minimum) he had the chance to answer the question put to him.

he did answer... there was no answer.......

****ing douchebags! (sacky 3:45)

Just to clarify, it does take a while after you close out of your internet browser before you actually disappear from the "who is online" section. Not 45 minutes, however, but for future berating of posters, they may have actually left the site even though the site doesn't register them as offline yet.

What if he was the **** head that was solely responsible for Lucky passing out and ending up in the ICU??!!! Again, makes ya wonder that right after they released Lucky from the hospital he was ****canned!

Thats Just ignorant. Go kill yourself now. Tieing a loyal hard working guy to Marlon's situation is pathetic. You need to go get sterilized so you can never have kids or at least get shot in a hunting "accident". Marlon nor this longtime employee deserve the comment you made.

Thats Just ignorant. Go kill yourself now. Tieing a loyal hard working guy to Marlon's situation is pathetic. You need to go get sterilized so you can never have kids or at least get shot in a hunting "accident". Marlon nor this longtime employee deserve the comment you made.

that was a what if.... not an assumption. No one is speaking so we as fans are ONLY left to conjure up possibilities. I thought the same thing. IT IS possible that the two could be related.... people have lied to protect themselves or a football program. It does happen!

Cally and Pedey have shown us many times what douchebags they are and that is why the Fusker program will never be where it was 10 years ago.

As an NU fan I understand your opinion as a Buff fan. there is a nice amount of talent in the coaching ranks with NU bloodline "earning their stripes" as we debate this. Turner Gill, Marvin Sanders, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Jerry Gdowski, Tom Rathman are just some former players earning paychecks as coaches. There are several more former coaches doing the same. If SP and BC are asked to leave, there is this guy names Osborne who would likely be asked to lead a search to fill both positions and may offer his services as interim AD for a time. I think a Turner Gill (HC, OC)/Scott Frost (DC) combo would be a strong nucleus.

Believe me IF change happens it will be a major infusion of former NU talent.

I am hopeful that this current regime will make this work but my gut says it is 50-50 right now. the next 2 years are the make or break years IMO.

Wow this firing is brewing up more controversy than I thought.
Got this from another board. it is an open email to SP.

Mr. Pederson,

My name is Ben Kingston. I played football at UNL from 1995 thru 1999, many of the years you were also an employee of the university. I can honestly say that those 5 years were the best but hardest times of my life; I learned more about the type of person I was and, more importantly, the person who I wanted to become than at any other time in my life. A large part of that experience was due to the relationships that I formed with the coaches, the staff and the my teammates. As I'm sure you have heard, the character and tradition of Nebraska's program is what has separated (emphasis added) us from other institutions. This didn't happen by happenstance; it happened because its tradition was a reflection of the people of the state of Nebraska. The character of Nebraska's program, up until recently, has transcended each era and though it did change with the times, it didn't let the times change it. Nebraska's signature tradition was there when my uncle played in the early-70's. It was instilled in me by the Peter brothers, Grant, the Makovickas, et al. when I was a freshman. In 1999, when my fellow graduating seniors and I walked off the field in Tempe, AZ., for the final time donning scarlet and cream, we knew that we had done our very best to make sure that the program was being handed off to the freshman in at least the same shape as when we received it.

In the Nebraska "family," the coaches were the fathers, the upper classmen the big brother, and so on. Accordingly, the bar regarding character and attitude was set by the coaches and would only go as high or low as that which was exemplified by them. With Osborne and Solich, the bar was set very high. Players came from all walks of life, some with baggage, some without. Regardless, those who stuck it out became family and helped transcend the character of the program in the next generation of players. And because of such, most if not all of us left the the program with a tear in our eye because we knew we were truly loved as part of that family and that the Nebraska we knew would always be there with open arms when its family members returned. Sadly, in its present state, I'm now unsure whether or not this is still true. Which brings me to the point of this letter: The recent dismissal of Doak Ostergard.

During my time at Nebraska, I spent more time that I would have liked in the care of Doak. I first got to know him when he had me doing rehabilitation for a deep thigh bruise by running laps in the pool, along side Brook Berringer. Over the course of the next 4 years, during the ups and downs, he was a man in whom I developed unquestionable trust in his abilities as our head athletic trainer, and who became and still is a good friend. Whether your were first team or scout team, Doak and his staff did all that they could to see that you received only the best treatment while, at the same time, making sure that he lightened up the situation brought on by the inevitable pressures on a player.

When I blew out my knee during spring ball before my sophomore year, Doak was the one who made me chuckle in the training room only minutes after I was carted off the field and thought the world had come to an end. When I didn't have the heart to call my father to tell him about my injury because I didn't want to hear the sadness in his voice, Doak took it upon himself to make that call and put my father at ease. I often saw him stick up for players when a coach thought a player's injury to be less severe than it appeared. Much like a physician, he was an advocate for his players and was objective in his assessment; not to be swayed by the pressures of the program.

The reason I tell you this is because I know that your current players see Doak in the same light. And you have done them a great disservice by your actions, the etiology of which I am almost certain is personal, be it yours or Callahan's.

What is even more interesting is that I know that Coaches Osborne and Solich would echo the above. Two very meticulous coaches who were a part of at least 3 national championship teams also placed their trust in Doak Ostergard. No questions asked. This was evidenced by the fact that he was promoted to head athletic trainer when Jack Nicolite left to become a PA following the '95 championship season. Further, based on my experiences as a player, I also knew that the fine team of orthopedic surgeons believed in Doak and considered him one of the best at what he did. Don't you think that they, along with Dr. Albers, may be in a better position to evaluate Doak's proficiency in fulfilling his duties? Or have they and their opinions just fallen on deaf ears? Or, was his dismissal because of something completely unrelated to his job performance. I believe that in time, the facts will come out to support the latter.

Now, as an attorney, I see a lot of BS. Living out her in L.A., I'm knee deep. And well, in regard to the issue at hand, if I had to teach one of my young associates to spot a BS statement while taking the deposition of say, an athletic director or football coach, exhibit number one would be:

"Doak, you are not going to be kept on because we are taking athletic medicine in another direction. Thank you. Good bye."

Are you kidding me? What does that mean?

I would have loved for a journalist to have asked you or Bill that question at the beginning of the 2006 season.

Journalist: "So, Bill...in what direction do you see the Department of Athletic Medicine going in 2006?"

Bill: "Uh....medicine, what? Can you repeat the question?"

I now have a headache.

First, Steve, Bill, or whoever, if you can't give the man his dignity by being truthful, at least wake up 30 minutes earlier in the morning, throw on a fresh pot of coffee to get that caffeine-high creativity, and come up with something that at least makes sense instead of just regurgitating what you heard said on ESPN the previous night by the San Diego Charger's General Manager as to his reasoning for the firing of Marty Schottenheimer.

New rule for 2007: You are no longer allowed to used the word "direction" when it relates to the field of employment.

I digress.

I can honestly say, based on my conversations with the former players, coaches, etc., that we now feel that the "Nebraska" we knew, the character that made this family great, has been lost...at least for now. This sentiment has been driven home most recently by your firing of Doak Ostergard. There was the Nebraska of Devaney, Osborne and Solich. And now there is the Nebraska of today. Please do not doubt the sincerity or accuracy of this statement. This "paradise lost" was not because of you choosing to "adapt to the times," "upgrade our facilities," or the like. It was lost because you, and now I realize Coach Callahan, do not know, or do not care about upholding and continuing Nebraska's tradition of character, integrity, attitude, sacrifice and family. One where egotism and megalomania are absent or, at the very least, take a back seat to what is in the best interest of the program and out of respect for the pillars of tradition on which the program was built. Unfortunately, starting at the top, it now seems that the tradition that was handed down over generations, even eras, was left behind when you decided that the program was going to be a reflection you and Bill, rather than what the program already was conceptually. When you and Callahan saw Nebraska as a blank canvass to paint any picture you deemed fit, a masterpiece was destroyed.

Steve, of course I am aware that being in an administrative position calls upon you to make difficult decisions. And no matter how you decide, you are always going to make some people unhappy. However, there are decisions which are just plain wrong, where the method of execution is even more wrong, and where the aforementioned axiom won't provide you any real-world justification. Case-in-point: Doak Ostergard.

I write this letter because Doak is a friend, a person I and countless other players believe in and, on what facts I have collected (more than you may think), believe he was treated very unfairly. No, unconscionably. Also, a lot of what I said has been collecting for some time, beginning in December 2003, and given last week's events, I felt that I needed to state was is contained herein.

I have bcc'ed a number of my fellow Nebraskans, including former players and friends. I hope that further comment by them will only further impress upon you and Mr. Callahan the fault of your actions.

I will always bleed Husker-red. I will always support the players and Nebraska. But Steve, rest assured, the players, past and present, are the true keepers of this program, not you and those under your pen. We now eagerly wait for our Cincinnatus to return.

Very truly yours,

Ben Kingston
Fullback, Class of '99

that was a what if.... not an assumption. No one is speaking so we as fans are ONLY left to conjure up possibilities. I thought the same thing. IT IS possible that the two could be related.... people have lied to protect themselves or a football program. It does happen!

EXACTLY! There are cover ups in sports all the time! Nor did I say that he had anything to do with Lucky being hospitalized. I questioned the timing of the firing.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXACTLY! There are cover ups in sports all the time! Nor did I say that he had anything to do with Lucky being hospitalized. I questioned the timing of the firing.

IMO this is a bad firing and I don't feel any less of a fan for saying so.

We now eagerly wait for our Cincinnatus to return.

Very truly yours,

Ben Kingston
Fullback, Class of '99

This guy actually knows who Cincinnatus was? Amazing for a fusker. Are you sure he really went there? Did he get a graduate degree somewhere?

Wow this firing is brewing up more controversy than I thought.
Got this from another board. it is an open email to SP.

Truly sad to see happen. I think we are just coming out of our similar experience, Mac and Crowder are back involved and the former players are starting to get back involved again. It is truly dark and sad when the foundation of your program start pulling away.

Hopefully the president and regents see what is happening and have the balls to take action. I'm torn as a Buff fan, on one hand I reserve hatred for one team only :rip:nu:rip:, but it is hard to watch any proud program suffer the stripping of it's heritage and history.

Truly sad to see happen. I think we are just coming out of our similar experience, Mac and Crowder are back involved and the former players are starting to get back involved again. It is truly dark and sad when the foundation of your program start pulling away.

Hopefully the president and regents see what is happening and have the balls to take action. I'm torn as a Buff fan, on one hand I reserve hatred for one team only :rip:nu:rip:, but it is hard to watch any proud program suffer the stripping of it's heritage and history.

Not sad to see it happen to the fuskers. :smile2:

Excellent! Blackskirt just neg repped me! I guess it's fair since I neg repped him yesterday for not answering the simple question put to him.

His neg rep comment sounded a little hot under the collar: "I did answer it you dumb****! I don't live on the computer 24 hours a day! BS". I guess he doesn't like being called a pussy. Touch a nerve did we BS?

yep. that's his schtick.

and he is a huge pussy :nod:

sounds like doak was well respected. i don't think he had players on the juice. way to go cally and pedey! :thumbsup: pissing people off again.

sounds like doak was well respected. i don't think he had players on the juice. way to go cally and pedey! :thumbsup: pissing people off again.
:nod:

It has taken on a life of its own now. Tom Shatel has an op ed on it (not avail online yet) and one local radio show dedicated the entire first hour to it concluding with an interview with Doak himself. He was classy, liked all the coaches during his tenure, all were different, all had pluses and minuses. Liked Cally, very driven, did not think he had the authority to actually fire him as he was not Doaks supervisor, did not perform his reviews etc. would have loved to transfer to another NU sport, would have stayed indefinitely. Was simply told NU FB was going a different direction, nothing else...... still puzzles me as to why he then handed in a resignation (not the smartest move if he feels he was treated unfairly) but was a class act about evrything asked of him. said he is amazed how this issue has grown with the media and fan base, felt humbled by it.

:nod:

It has taken on a life of its own now. Tom Shatel has an op ed on it (not avail online yet) and one local radio show dedicated the entire first hour to it concluding with an interview with Doak himself. He was classy, liked all the coaches during his tenure, all were different, all had pluses and minuses. Liked Cally, very driven, did not think he had the authority to actually fire him as he was not Doaks supervisor, did not perform his reviews etc. would have loved to transfer to another NU sport, would have stayed indefinitely. Was simply told NU FB was going a different direction, nothing else...... still puzzles me as to why he then handed in a resignation (not the smartest move if he feels he was treated unfairly) but was a class act about evrything asked of him. said he is amazed how this issue has grown with the media and fan base, felt humbled by it.

tom may be a complete idiot at times, but he has his enteratining moments. it would be interesting reading what he said about it.

did he (doak) have any insight on the proposed flesh eating virus / desert storm agent?

i believe that if doak was as respected as it seems, he will land on his feet. best of luck to him. i hope the skers take in a snazzle toofed idiot next. :wink2: blackshirts may be a likely candidate... :smile2:

tom may be a complete idiot at times, but he has his enteratining moments. it would be interesting reading what he said about it.

did he (doak) have any insight on the proposed flesh eating virus / desert storm agent?

i believe that if doak was as respected as it seems, he will land on his feet. best of luck to him. i hope the skers take in a snazzle toofed idiot next. :wink2: blackshirts may be a likely candidate... :smile2:

I think you have a crush on me!:smile2:

Tom is a complete idiot! Hell CU fans no more about the Huskers then that moron does! I wonder if OSU fans went this ape **** when Woody Hayes got fired??? :wow: Traidition is a buzz word that I think at times is an excuse for fear of change. Or denial that things need to change but why? We don't need to do anything "It's tradition". Look at Penn St for instance....Joe Pa has been there since man stood upright and just how many NC's has he won? Again are PSU fans that scared to rock the boat in fear of pissing off the "ye ole faithfull" who know's. Obviously the NU President and boosters seem to think Pedey is a good hire. In reality, boosters are what makes or breaks a program anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom is a complete idiot! Hell CU fans no more about the Huskers then that moron does! I wonder if OSU fans when this ape **** when Woody Hayes got fired??? :wow: Traidition is a buzz word that I think at times is an excuse for fear of change. Or denial that things need to change but why? We don't need to do anything "It's tradition". Look at Penn St for instance....Joe Pa has been there since man stood upright and just how many NC's has he won? Again are PSU fans that scared to rock the boat in fear of pissing off the "ye ole faithfull" who know's. Obviously the NU President and boosters seem to think Pedey is a good hire. In reality, boosters are what makes or breaks a program anyways.

Is that you Sandra Vagina? :lol:

I can't believe a fan base for any other division I school would be this bent out of shape over a trainer getting asked to leave. That's what happens when they pull the pro bowlers tour off the air. Nothing to do but worry about nothing.

A trainer getting let go is not a big deal.

I can't believe a fan base for any other division I school would be this bent out of shape over a trainer getting asked to leave. That's what happens when they pull the pro bowlers tour off the air. Nothing to do but worry about nothing.

A trainer getting let go is not a big deal.

i'm actually glad they are bent, shows there is some life left in them other than Cally invented the foraward pass Pravda. (misspell by design).

i'm actually glad they are bent, shows there is some life left in them other than Cally invented the foraward pass Pravda. (misspell by design).

To me it shows they are scared. They are scared because they know any little slip and they could have a 2 and 10 season just like we did. The fuskers are learning that it's tough on a level playing field.

Tom is a complete idiot! Hell CU fans no more about the Huskers then that moron does! I wonder if OSU fans went this ape **** when Woody Hayes got fired??? :wow: Traidition is a buzz word that I think at times is an excuse for fear of change. Or denial that things need to change but why? We don't need to do anything "It's tradition". Look at Penn St for instance....Joe Pa has been there since man stood upright and just how many NC's has he won? Again are PSU fans that scared to rock the boat in fear of pissing off the "ye ole faithfull" who know's. Obviously the NU President and boosters seem to think Pedey is a good hire. In reality, boosters are what makes or breaks a program anyways.

Dude how clueless are you? Pull your head out of the sand. Shatel is IMO a good writer, fairly down the middle for an NU dominated state.

SP a good hire?..... you are about one of the last 5% to think so. How is that fund raising going? Is the new complex and stadium addition even with in $50 Million of being paid for? you better look up your facts before you answer, donations and the big donors are far less from where they were before the FS firing. SP continues to be a pompous ass at every opportunity. I have no bone to pick with BC, he was only guilty of looking for a job when he fell from the sky and in the end SP is accountable for his public gaffs no different than people I hire should they piss off our customers THE BUCK STOPS WITH ME to correct their actions and behaviors and if I cant I must admit to being wrong and take appropriate actions and lead them out the door. SP has built a little fortress around the Ath Dept and only lets out what info HE deems as righteous.

Dude how clueless are you? Pull your head out of the sand. Shatel is IMO a good writer, fairly down the middle for an NU dominated state.

SP a good hire?..... you are about one of the last 5% to think so. How is that fund raising going? Is the new complex and stadium addition even with in $50 Million of being paid for? you better look up your facts before you answer, donations and the big donors are far less from where they were before the FS firing. SP continues to be a pompous ass at every opportunity. I have no bone to pick with BC, he was only guilty of looking for a job when he fell from the sky and in the end SP is accountable for his public gaffs no different than people I hire should they piss off our customers THE BUCK STOPS WITH ME to correct their actions and behaviors and if I cant I must admit to being wrong and take appropriate actions and lead them out the door. SP has built a little fortress around the Ath Dept and only lets out what info HE deems as righteous.

must. resist. agreeing. with. fusker.

must. resist.

must...

aiyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

speaking of more changes at NU - apparently two OL maybe done for next year, one with surgery to achilles and another just quitting the team. As a guy on netbuffs said, good luck to the players, but **** the huskers.

Back