What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

the continuing changing face of NU FB

Dude how clueless are you? Pull your head out of the sand. Shatel is IMO a good writer, fairly down the middle for an NU dominated state.

SP a good hire?..... you are about one of the last 5% to think so. How is that fund raising going? Is the new complex and stadium addition even with in $50 Million of being paid for? you better look up your facts before you answer, donations and the big donors are far less from where they were before the FS firing. SP continues to be a pompous ass at every opportunity. I have no bone to pick with BC, he was only guilty of looking for a job when he fell from the sky and in the end SP is accountable for his public gaffs no different than people I hire should they piss off our customers THE BUCK STOPS WITH ME to correct their actions and behaviors and if I cant I must admit to being wrong and take appropriate actions and lead them out the door. SP has built a little fortress around the Ath Dept and only lets out what info HE deems as righteous.

Holy ****! What does it say about me that I go to give Waylon some rep for this little gem, only to be met by...YMSSR? I feel the need to put on a CU shirt....

Holy ****! What does it say about me that I go to give Waylon some rep for this little gem, only to be met by...YMSSR? I feel the need to put on a CU shirt....

his take that an ad is where the buck stops is spot on. that is almost repworthy...

it saga continues....... the split is now far more public, this week there was a "official" FB alumni golf tourney put on by Steve Pedersen and an "alternative" golf tourney that raised funds for a local charity and somehow was also tied to Doak Ostergard mentioned earlier in this post. The alternative event doubled the attendance and had the names of husker lore supporting it, the official event was almost a bust. the golf outing was held in Lincoln but the festivities for the alternative event were held in Omaha Wed, Thurs, Fri with several charity events rolled into a big freaking party at several Omaha nightclubs complete with an Omaha radio station broadcasting live as all the former greats got a little lit and became lose tongued about their feelings. Tommie Frazier has had no contact from or with SP thats TOMMIE FREAKING FRAZIER, the ultimate legend for NU sports, many other players got on the open mic and voiced their..... and I am not exaggerating here...... disgust for what is going on in the AD. all the players are stating they don't even feel welcome to come around anymore, not many are blaming Cally mostly focused on SP. this is the 10 year aniv of the 97 NC and nobody from that team has been contacted about anything with regards to a get together or halftime honoring or anything.

I am also copying an article about the same..... it is sad to see the split getting wider.

this rift is finally being acknowledged by the TV media although they portray it as new news
http://www.ketv.com/bigredzone/11862337/detail.html

NU Athletics: History focus of alternate golf event
BY LEE BARFKNECHT
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Tongue-biting was popular Friday at a gathering of about 150 former Nebraska football players.

Questions about whether this alternate golf tournament - opposite a Lettermen's Club event sponsored by the athletic department - was a statement of protest about the current administration or football coaches generally went unanswered.

Trev Alberts, the 1993 Butkus Award winner, politely declined to comment.

Same for Tommie Frazier, the 1995 Heisman Trophy runner-up, who said: "I don't follow it much anymore."

Former walk-on offensive lineman Matt Vrzal, who helped organize the event at Lincoln's HiMark Golf Course, also kept quiet, other than to say he's hopeful that an organization of former football players can be created.

Then along came Broderick Thomas.

The two-time All-American and a finalist for the 1988 Butkus and Lombardi Awards hasn't changed his outspoken ways.

Thomas said he has lost sleep over Nebraska's 19-15 record against Division I opponents the past three years under coach Bill Callahan, and is uncomfortable with how the school has "turned away from the tradition" built by Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne and Frank Solich.

"Coach Devaney is kicking his casket, like 'What's going on?'" Thomas said. "At some point, everybody is going to be held accountable.

"It shouldn't take as long as it is today. This is the University of Nebraska. This is not Wisconsin."

Thomas, who played in the NFL and now runs a sports and entertainment agency in Houston, said the former Huskers he talks with are worried about Nebraska's place in the college football power structure.

"Some alumni, you can't even print what they want to say," he said.

So why haven't more former players spoken out?

"We believe in our tradition," Thomas said, "and that our tradition will override any crisis we have at the University of Nebraska.

"I've told our alumni, 'Don't worry. The good Lord will shake this tree, and the leaves that don't belong will fall to the ground.'"

Former Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne spent about 15 minutes Friday discussing the tradition of Husker football.

In the audience were former coaches Barney Cotton, Marvin Sanders, George Darlington, Ron Brown, Jack Pierce and John Melton, and players such as 1972 Heisman winner Johnny Rodgers, Michael Booker, Tracey Wistrom, Joel Makovicka, Jon Hesse, Henry Waechter and Mitch Krenk.

Before speaking, Osborne handed out a sheet of facts concerning 42 seasons of NU football from 1962 through 2003 - the Devaney-Osborne-Solich era.
"You can't be a teacher without a handout," joked Osborne, who now teaches classes at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business Administration.

The sheet showed Nebraska with the nation's best overall winning percentage in that period - .822 with Ohio State next at .753 - and an average record of 9.9 wins and 2.1 losses a season."Over time, you create a culture," said Osborne, citing work ethic, loyalty, continuity, honesty and physical football as the trademarks of Husker football."That's why most of you are here today, and I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you and appreciate what you've done and appreciate what Nebraska football means to me and so many people around the state."

The "tricky" thing from Friday, Osborne said, was how the alternate event may be perceived.

"Because we are here today, some people will try to make this into something it really isn't," he said. "Whatever we do here should be positive and proactive and an attempt to continue this tradition as best we can."

Osborne said he attended the alternate event to show support for football trainer Doak Ostergard, who was dismissed in February without public explanation after 18 years at the school.

Originally, Osborne wasn't invited to the athletic department event. He said Friday that he later received an invitation letter from Athletic Director Steve Pederson and Callahan.

Even if former players disagree with the direction of Nebraska football, Osborne said, communication remains vital.

"I'm not in favor of breaking communication or leading a revolt." he said. "But simply saying this is important - to the state and to a lot of former players."

In keeping with that theme, all those at the alternate event were offered plain black T-shirts with two words printed in white lettering: "The Program."

• NOTES: Neither Cotton nor Sanders is currently in coaching. Both lost their jobs in November during coaching changes at Iowa State and North Carolina, respectively. . . . Among some of the later arrivals at the alternate event were Mike Minter, Mike Rucker, Jay Foreman, Steve Taylor and Lawrence Pete. . . . About 75 people were at the athletic department golf event. The participation list included Will Shields, Neil Smith, Van Brownson, Barry Alvarez, Milt Tenopir, Derrie Nelson and Jay Moore.

Last edited:
Have to say Waylon if Peterson's doing this ****, he needs to be run out of town on a rail. To not honor the past is pathetic ands in Huskers care that is even more so. **** its the only game in the State and is beyond disrepectful to the past.

Have to say Waylon if Peterson's doing this ****, he needs to be run out of town on a rail. To not honor the past is pathetic ands in Huskers care that is even more so. **** its the only game in the State and is beyond disrepectful to the past.

its interesting as his arrival at nu was quite different. he was talking up tradition, history, and everything evil red.

its interesting as his arrival at nu was quite different. he was talking up tradition, history, and everything evil red.

The part that absolutely floors me is the willingness of many fans to follow blindly, drinking kool-aide and focusing solely on the future..... to just win. Not to get on a soapbox here but to me NU always was more than just winning, it was the pursuit of something excellent and winning was a bi-product of that.... I know, I know TO sold his soul, bla bla, hidden gun, LP... whatever...... take a tour of any of the popular husker message boards, hell I have been run from one for basically saying what I just did in the first two sentences. I do not hold Cally accountable for this situation, as I have said before he was only guilty of looking for a job, SP needs to be guiding him with respect to the public persona of things at NU, the throatslash, effin hillbillies at the end of the day it is SP that needs to manage BC and be a bridge to the tremendous past NU is very lucky to have. This staff was given a daunting task to turn NU into a modern O and for my money BC has done a very good job. The more time goes by the more I dislike the public face of NU, SP is not who he said he was and IMO is not Representative of how most Nebraskans think, feel or just simply are.

With all that being said, NU stands at the brink of becoming a national power again and for me and a growing number of NU fans it is just not as fun as it was in the 90's and there is a disconnect..... if this is the way NU has to handle their business to get "back" it is strictly comes down to how much they have to spend to buy it..... not earn it from doing things the Nebraska way. I dont mean to be preaching from an Ivory Tower here.... just venting, NU had their fair share of problems back then as well (on and off the field) it was just a lot more fun watching that program build back then.

The part that absolutely floors me is the willingness of many fans to follow blindly, drinking kool-aide and focusing solely on the future..... to just win. Not to get on a soapbox here but to me NU always was more than just winning, it was the pursuit of something excellent and winning was a bi-product of that.... I know, I know TO sold his soul, bla bla, hidden gun, LP... whatever...... take a tour of any of the popular husker message boards, hell I have been run from one for basically saying what I just did in the first two sentences. I do not hold Cally accountable for this situation, as I have said before he was only guilty of looking for a job, SP needs to be guiding him with respect to the public persona of things at NU, the throatslash, effin hillbillies at the end of the day it is SP that needs to manage BC and be a bridge to the tremendous past NU is very lucky to have. This staff was given a daunting task to turn NU into a modern O and for my money BC has done a very good job. The more time goes by the more I dislike the public face of NU, SP is not who he said he was and IMO is not Representative of how most Nebraskans think, feel or just simply are.

With all that being said, NU stands at the brink of becoming a national power again and for me and a growing number of NU fans it is just not as fun as it was in the 90's and there is a disconnect..... if this is the way NU has to handle their business to get "back" it is strictly comes down to how much they have to spend to buy it..... not earn it from doing things the Nebraska way. I dont mean to be preaching from an Ivory Tower here.... just venting, NU had their fair share of problems back then as well (on and off the field) it was just a lot more fun watching that program build back then.

1. most of what you said was actually good.
2. the part about being on the brink of being a national power is kinda funny. try winning a conference championship before predicting that the skers are back, mmmmmkay? :wink2: in other words, "woah horsie!"

I remember going to Lincoln for the CU NU game in 04. At halftime I heard the whole freakin stadium erupt in boos. I asked the fusker next to me what or who they were booing. The guy pointed to the big screen. I guess the AD had walked out for a halftime ceremony. I went down to get a drink and talked to some older fans(probably boosters) and they said that they weren't happy with how everything was going down since pederson took over. So this has been brewing for a while now. Pederson had better hope throat slash wins the big 12 this year or they will be calling for his head.

And one more thing. It still doesnt look right seeing NU passing the ball so much.

1. most of what you said was actually good.
2. the part about being on the brink of being a national power is kinda funny. try winning a conference championship before predicting that the skers are back, mmmmmkay? :wink2: in other words, "woah horsie!"
I see your point, (#2) I might be going off half-cocked but the talent on this team is the best it has been since 97 IMO is what I really mean, they should be able to compete, should return to the top 20 if not top 15, to me that is a return to some sort of national power, maybe not by winning CCG or NC but to believe they can beat any team they face if they play to their ability, it has been some time since I could say or feel that.... at the end of the day will that translate into wins?.... no, Cally still has a chance to get in his own way :thumbsup: but I like what I see. and thanks (#1).

I see your point, (#2) I might be going off half-cocked but the talent on this team is the best it has been since 97 IMO is what I really mean, they should be able to compete, should return to the top 20 if not top 15, to me that is a return to some sort of national power, maybe not by winning CCG or NC but to believe they can beat any team they face if they play to their ability, it has been some time since I could say or feel that.... at the end of the day will that translate into wins?.... no, Cally still has a chance to get in his own way :thumbsup: but I like what I see. and thanks (#1).

yep! :thumbsup:

:sucks:

Hey uh, I don't mean to be a dick, but why the **** is it when I enter the CU FOOTBALL FORUM the first two threads are about the fuskers? :wtf: Shouldn't this thread be in the Pub? :pissed:

Back