What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Rams

Central Michigan, UTEP, ULaLa, Wyoming, Middle Tennessee, Utah State, Bowling Green, etc...

Sounds about right.

Marshall comes to mind.

CSU's right in between Wyoming and Air Force on the football prestige spectrum.

CSU and CU certainly are on different levels. You won't get any argument from me on that point. But as I have also pointed out many times before, the days of CU being the most important game on the schedule have been over now for some time. This year alone, finding a way to get a win against TCU, BYU, or Utah is far more important than an RMS win because of what it would mean for the program going forward. To infer that somehow CSU's season begins and ends with the RMS is ridiculous. CU fans should just drop this argument.

Also I don't think you will hear any CSU fan say last season was a success. Last year was an absolute disaster. Period.

If you say so, just remember CU is in one of it's worst times EVER and you guys are still just 2-5 in the last 7. I think the game means a lot to you guys.

If CU isn't the only game on the schedule for most CSU fans why is it that leading up to the CU game is the only time that I see the CSU gear out on most of these people. Why is it the only "home" game that CSU fans tend to show up for? When was the last time that CSU drew close to a sell-out for BYU or TCU, even in the little stadium at lower ticket prices.

No question that the small core of CSU fanatics may look at things with a little broader view but the huge majority of Rams fans only care about one game. Win it and they are insufferable for a year running their mouths about how great their team is and how CU sucks, lose and they pretend like they don't care or that they never went there.

I would imagine that it is the same in some other states where you get a big brother/ little brother relationship. KSU/KU in basketball, OU/OSU or Iowa/ISU in football although in the last two at least the teams are in comparable level conferences.

The problem for CU is that we need a coaching staff that understands that CSU is going to come into the game with maximum effort every time. They need to prepare the Buffs for that level of effort rather than letting CSU gain hope and eventually losing some games. Come out ready and play the game and the scores should be such that eventually CSU and their fans lose interest in the game and we don't have to put up with this stuff every year.

If you say so, just remember CU is in one of it's worst times EVER and you guys are still just 2-5 in the last 7. I think the game means a lot to you guys.

It is an important game - absolutely. The game is just not the end-all to CSU's season as Mtn Buff was claiming it to be. Regardless of the outcome there are big games on CSU's schedule outside of the RMS that have bigger implicatons for the program. A win over TCU at home in October would have national implications. That to me is the definition of a "big-time" game and opportunity for CSU.

If CU isn't the only game on the schedule for most CSU fans why is it that leading up to the CU game is the only time that I see the CSU gear out on most of these people. Why is it the only "home" game that CSU fans tend to show up for? When was the last time that CSU drew close to a sell-out for BYU or TCU, even in the little stadium at lower ticket prices.

No question that the small core of CSU fanatics may look at things with a little broader view but the huge majority of Rams fans only care about one game. Win it and they are insufferable for a year running their mouths about how great their team is and how CU sucks, lose and they pretend like they don't care or that they never went there.

I would imagine that it is the same in some other states where you get a big brother/ little brother relationship. KSU/KU in basketball, OU/OSU or Iowa/ISU in football although in the last two at least the teams are in comparable level conferences.

The problem for CU is that we need a coaching staff that understands that CSU is going to come into the game with maximum effort every time. They need to prepare the Buffs for that level of effort rather than letting CSU gain hope and eventually losing some games. Come out ready and play the game and the scores should be such that eventually CSU and their fans lose interest in the game and we don't have to put up with this stuff every year.

Utah was a sell-out last season. I imagine both BYU and especially TCU will sell-out this season.

Who left the gate to the sheep pen open? I go and actually do some work, come back and there are 14 freakin' pages of sheep bleating posts?

I don't care about CSU anymore than I do about any other OOC game with a non-BCS conference also ran. It doesn't mean squat, I wish we'd schedule somebody interesting to play. I wish we'd pull the chain and flush the coaching bowl. Actually, I am more interested in the Hawaii game.

It is an important game - absolutely. The game is just not the end-all to CSU's season as Mtn Buff was claiming it to be. Regardless of the outcome there are big games on CSU's schedule outside of the RMS that have bigger implicatons for the program. A win over TCU at home in October would have national implications. That to me is the definition of a "big-time" game and opportunity for CSU.

you understand that, State understands that, the delirious basterds at ramnation understand that, but the problem is that most of your other fans (the casual ones, not the message board ones) don't understand that. you guys average like mid 20's for attendance. That is so weak. Thats why CU people always say that that is your super-bowl, until you guys show evidence to the contrary.

EDIT: Just actually found a list. In 2008 we averaged 49476 and you guys average 21009. That even worse then I thought. Someone explain to me again why this game is good for football in colorado.

Last edited:
One of my old squadron buddies swung by for some drinks the other night. He's an Auburn grad and as avid a college football fan as anyone I know. We talk flying and football, so it's always good when he's around.

Anyway, he mentioned that he's pretty luke warm to the Alabama game. Sure he hates them, but there's other SEC games he gets more fired up for. Incredible! I'd never heard such a thing. He said that Auburn/Bama (calling Charlie on this one) is very much an in-state thing. And that he, and other out-of-staters he knows, didn't really have the cultural (or lack thereof) background to appreciate it on the same level.

I had to admit that I felt the same about CSU. Just don't care. I'm an out-of-state guy who went to CU. I hate nebraska, and loved (and hated, more often than not) that rivalry, but CSU doesn't really get me going more than say, Wyoming or some other OOC against a non-BCS. I'm not saying that to be ****ty, but just as an observation that this really seems to be an in-state thing.

Having said that, after watching the CSU fans stomp mid-field last season, I am developing a little more passion for the game.

you understand that, State understands that, the delirious basterds at ramnation understand that, but the problem is that most of your other fans (the casual ones, not the message board ones) don't understand that. you guys average like mid 20's for attendance. That is so weak. Thats why CU people always say that that is your super-bowl, until you guys show evidence to the contrary.

EDIT: Just actually found a list. In 2008 we averaged 49476 and you guys average 21009. That even worse then I thought. Someone explain to me again why this game is good for football in colorado.

Its not. I dont even care to talk about the lammies and they are next on the schedule. Beating them means nothing. Losing to them, however ......

One of my old squadron buddies swung by for some drinks the other night. He's an Auburn grad and as avid a college football fan as anyone I know. We talk flying and football, so it's always good when he's around.

Anyway, he mentioned that he's pretty luke warm to the Alabama game. Sure he hates them, but there's other SEC games he gets more fired up for. Incredible! I'd never heard such a thing. He said that Auburn/Bama (calling Charlie on this one) is very much an in-state thing. And that he, and other out-of-staters he knows, didn't really have the cultural (or lack thereof) background to appreciate it on the same level.

I had to admit that I felt the same about CSU. Just don't care. I'm an out-of-state guy who went to CU. I hate nebraska, and loved (and hated, more often than not) that rivalry, but CSU doesn't really get me going more than say, Wyoming or some other OOC against a non-BCS. I'm not saying that to be ****ty, but just as an observation that this really seems to be an in-state thing.

Having said that, after watching the CSU fans stomp mid-field last season, I am developing a little more passion for the game.

I'm an in-stater and I don't care about the rivalry. I think the main reason for that is the fact we didn't play the rams when I started watching the buffs and we didn't play them for many years after i started watching them.

The attendance crticism is warranted. No question. Things got very stale under Sonny in the mid-2000's and it is taking some time to come back around. The program just needs to start winning again. Do that - and I think the 30,000+ crowds that made their way to Hughes on most Saturdays will return.

I'm sure Utah travels well, but it won't be anything close to what it was like with the fuskers.

The attendance crticism is warranted. No question. Things got very stale under Sonny in the mid-2000's and it is taking some time to come back around. The program just needs to start winning again. Do that - and I think the 30,000+ crowds that made their way to Hughes on most Saturdays will return.

Refresh my memory, when did CSU ever average 30k or much more. I know that even during the Sonny years attendance was not that great. I remember some years at an average of 28k or 29k but never much more.

Refresh my memory, when did CSU ever average 30k or much more. I know that even during the Sonny years attendance was not that great. I remember some years at an average of 28k or 29k but never much more.

I think*(dont quote me) that in 1998-1999ish we did. I know for a few years we avg like 108% of capacity of hughes.

Back