What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This just in: Colorado and Oklahoma are not the same school

to put it bluntly, how the **** makes you so sure that this will not happen? as i asked sacky, did you call Bob about it?

Didn't have to call Bob, since he issued a statement to the media on the subject

Stoopsie said:
"We expect to have Josh on our roster this fall and look forward to a long and successful career for him both academically and on the football field," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said in a statement.

Sounds like Bob really plans to throw the book at him. At the very least, I think we can throw out the idea that he is going to miss a season, a la Geer, Sipili and Katoa...

to put it bluntly, how the **** makes you so sure that this will not happen? as i asked sacky, did you call Bob about it?

If he was going to be suspended for the year, don't you think Bob would have done it already?

Sipili didn't play last year. Katoa and Geer won't play this year. What year of play will the Sooner recruit miss after he "accepted responsibility and full accountability"?? So, I guess the answer is no, we can't say the same for the CU players who ran afoul of the law recently. We can say much MORE for how they have been punished.

I really don't understand why you and your wife are having such a hard time with this concept... :huh:

Hey its ok, I understand Junc, everything that happens to CU and their players is an injustice to not only the person, but the school, according to most here on this board. To all other schools and players it is also regarded here they, the players and schools had it coming and the penalties are not near severe enough.

Has this kid for OU played a single down for the Sooners? People here want his scholarship revoked for his actions, so he never plays a down for OU unless he walks on. Maybe the same could be said about Siplli, Geer and Katoa. Why not revoke their, Sipilli, Geer and Katoa's scholarships? Wouldn't that be an equal comparision? Eye for and eye, tooth for a tooth.

Last edited:

Well, I think I just said that he should be given a second chance and then jumped on the accountability bandwagon. I'm going to go ahead and stand by that.

If Stoops were going to suspend/or punish this player in some way, he might have missed his opportunity to do it publicly where it could set an example while promoting the credibility of his program. I'm not saying he's not going to...but if he didn't do it before he issued the above statement, he runs the risk of the CU chat boards going bonkers on that topic.

I still don't feel compelled to wear my hair-shirt of hypocracy whatsoever.

So what's the kid's punishment? We know what happened to Katoa. We know what happened to Sipili. We know what happened in Utah with Kaufusi.

What we don't know is what's going to happen to the Oklahoma kid. Maybe we're jumping the gun, but all indications are that there isn't going to be any repurcussions whatsoever. If that be the case, then I think it's reasonable to say that OU is operating under a different set of standards than both CU and Utah. The only reason I bring Utah into the mix is because the situation between Kaufusi and this other kid look to be nearly identical.

It's all about perception. There's no arguing the point that the perception here is that OU just wants the kid on the field, regardless of what his actions may have been to make them think otherwise. If OU wants to change that perception, then they need to take tougher actions when stuff like this takes place. The fact that he's not even at OU is irrelevant. He brought a gun to school. That's against the law. OU has a decision to make. Do they want to keep the offer or not? Utah had the same decision. They decided to pull the offer. Maybe OU will force a redshirt on him. Maybe they'll make him take some sensitivity training or something. I don't know. But until somebody comes out and says what they are going to do, the assumption is that they won't do anything at all.

Hey its ok, I understand Junc, everything that happens to CU and their players is an injustice to not only the person, but the school, according to most here on this board. To all other schoools and players it is also regarded here they, the players and schools had it coming and the penalties are not near severe enough.

Has this kid for OU played a single down for the Sooners? People here want his scholarshoip revoked for his actions, so he never plays a down for OU unless he walks on. Maybe the same could be said about Siplli, Geer and Katoa. Why not revoke their, Sipilli, Geer and Katoa's scholarships? Wouldn't that be an equal comparrion? Eye for and eye, tooth for a tooth.

Again, I don't see a lot of posts calling for his scholarship. I think that Montana hit the nail on the head when he insinuated that Coach Stoops could have pulled a major PR coup AND sent a solid message to his team if he said the following:

"Mr. Jaboe's actions are inconsistant with the behavior that we expect of Sooners. While we realize that he has not yet enrolled in our institution, he will not play his first year, in order that in order that he might focus on the high values we hold as a team. He will practice with the team, and we look forward to his contribution in the years to come."

I would have applauded the statement, and the Sooners wouldn't have really sacrificed much of anything. Perhaps they didn't do anything wrong, but maybe they could have done it better?

If you review my posts in the buffzone.com archive (I'm walto_clown over there) you'll see that I am consistant with my expectations of both CU and OU.

and in the same breath I can mention Dizon being gone and CU being inexperienced at LB so Hawk is letting Sipilli back on the team, right?

Yeah, totally similar situations:huh:

Like Junction said, I'm not sure why you and Blaise are having such a hard time differentiating between the CU situations (Law punishes them, School punishes them, Coach punishes them) and this.

There is also no glass house, hypocrisy, etc going on here. This is more similar to the Josh Williams situation at ****braska. Both schools let players that were convicted of crimes, both involving guns, enroll at their universities. For better or worse this does not reflect positively on the school or the football program. Why that's so hard for you and the misses to grasp I don't know.

Last edited:
Again, I don't see a lot of posts calling for his scholarship. I think that Montana hit the nail on the head when he insinuated that Coach Stoops could have pulled a major PR coup AND sent a solid message to his team if he said the following:

"Mr. Jaboe's actions are inconsistant with the behavior that we expect of Sooners. While we realize that he has not yet enrolled in our institution, he will not play his first year, in order that in order that he might focus on the high values we hold as a team. He will practice with the team, and we look forward to his contribution in the years to come."

I would have applauded the statement, and the Sooners wouldn't have really sacrificed much of anything. Perhaps they didn't do anything wrong, but maybe they could have done it better?

If you review my posts in the buffzone.com archive (I'm walto_clown over there) you'll see that I am consistant with my expectations of both CU and OU.
Hey walto, SnowBuff here;)

Yeah, totally similar situations:huh:

Like Junction said, I'm not sure why you and Blaise are having such a hard time differentiating between the CU situations (Law punishes them, School punishes them, Coach punishes them) and this.

There is also no glass house, hypocrisy, etc going on here. This is more similar to the Josh Williams situation at ****braska. Both schools let players that were convicted of crimes, both involving guns, enroll at their universities. For better or worse this does not reflect positively on the school or the university. Why that's so hard for you and the misses to grasp I don't know.

you right totally different situations, one gets caught carrying an unliscensed concealed weapon on his high school campus. the other in a fit of drunken anger he puts a kid in the hospital that requires facial surgery to repair facial tissue and bone damage. sorry my bad.

Telling half the story....

So you have yet to deal with the real meat of this issue: Should your recruit face any sort of accountability or not?

agreed much as I am here. Some are soon to forget here that in a situation quite similiar to Sipilli's at CU, that Stoops and his staff did kick Dusty Dvoracek off the team for his drunken altercation that put his best friend and roommate in the hospital in intensive care. And it might be point out that it was not Stoops and his staff that let Mr. Dvoracek back on the team, it was the team itself and only if ever member of the team voted for him to return. One "nay" vote would have nixed Dvoracek from, returning to the team. Plus I wonder if Mr. Sipilli has to continue anger and alcohol councilling during his suspension like Dvoracek, and then continue this councilling during his remaining time at CU as part of the agreement between coaching staff, school and player.

I would expect the least from Hawkins and CU to require the same of Geer and Katoa too.

I honestly don't see what's so hard about answering a simple question, but apparently it takes at least three pages.:smile2:

you right totally different situations, one gets caught carrying an unliscensed concealed weapon on his high school campus. the other in a fit of drunken anger he puts a kid in the hospital that requires facial surgery to repair facial tissue and bone damage. sorry my bad.

Honestly, fights happen. Carrying a unlicensed concealed firearm to highschool is a much bigger deal in my eyes. I wouldn't want to go to a high school where kids were walking around with guns...

Telling half the story....

So you have yet to deal with the real meat of this issue: Should your recruit face any sort of accountability or not?

I think he has with the judicial system, 2 years probabtion and 80 hours of community service. Should he face accountability from the school, yes. What?, I dont know. Redshirt him a year, have him miss a few games once he is an active player the next year? That would be fine with me as I really think he would have redshirted anyway with the receivers OU has on its squad right now.

What everyone, as Sacky pointed out, is saying because Stoops hasn't done anything so far, then he isnt going to do anything at all. So I like how everyone knows what is going on with Bob and this kid. But like what LtColFS said, OU was going to revoke his scholly if the charges had remained a felony.

Honestly, fights happen. Carrying a unlicensed concealed firearm to highschool is a much bigger deal in my eyes. I wouldn't want to go to a high school where kids were walking around with guns...

I did, I was the kid with the gun in the back windshield of my truck. :cool:

and how many people in one thread, about allowing weapons being carried by CU students on the campus, admitted to having guns in their dorm rooms at CU while they were students.

not to mention the kids with a crossbow that were hunting racoons a few weeks back at CU. Are they still in school? or did the university kick them out? how many people mocked this on this board?

So the quote about him being on the field in the fall is bunk?

does standing on the sidelines as a redshirt count as "being on the field" or do you literally take this as playing? who knows? I don't. lets see what this fall brings. right now its all speculation about this kid and his playing time.

I did, I was the kid with the gun in the back windshield of my truck. :cool:

and how many people in one thread, about allowing weapons being carried by CU students on the campus, admitted to having guns in their dorm rooms at CU while they were students.

not to mention the kids with a crossbow that were hunting racoons a few weeks back at CU. Are they still in school? or did the university kick them out? how many people mocked this on this board?

You don't see any difference between high school kids and college kids? Because I certainly do.

You don't see any difference between high school kids and college kids? Because I certainly do.

I wouldn't want a displayed gun in a parking lot either... But to equate a gun in the back of your pickup truck with a concealed weapon is a bit of stretch.

This is OU we are talking about. Trying to compare what happens at OU and what happens at CU is a failed proposition from the outset.

Hey its ok, I understand Junc, everything that happens to CU and their players is an injustice to not only the person, but the school, according to most here on this board. .

Nobody ****ing said any ****ing injustice happened to these CU players. I am more than fine with Katoa missing this season, and no real complaint with Sipili or Geer. The question is, why won't OU take the same action, and why do you and LB feel the need to keep distorting what CU fans say here in order to defend OU? :huh:

What everyone, as Sacky pointed out, is saying because Stoops hasn't done anything so far, then he isnt going to do anything at all. So I like how everyone knows what is going on with Bob and this kid. But like what LtColFS said, OU was going to revoke his scholly if the charges had remained a felony.

What Stoops has done is say that HE WILL BE ON THE ROSTER NEXT YEAR. Doesn't sound like a Katoa, Sipili, Geer-esque suspension is forthcoming to me. I guess the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor is no spot on the team vs. not even being suspended... :huh:

well then Sacky, it you want to hold OU to such high standards, such as Utah, then may I ask the question why are Sipilli, Geer, Katoa still members and of the CU football team? Also, the case with the OU recruit happened in March and he has already accepted responsibility and full accountability by pleading guilty in the later part of May. Can you say the same with CU players that have ran afoul of the law in the past 3-4 months?

You're kidding right? He should be suspended for a year,just like katoa or anyone else. I'm not saying he should be kicked off the team but some action should have been taken.OU did nothing and it stinks.

and in the same breath I can mention Dizon being gone and CU being inexperienced at LB so Hawk is letting Sipilli back on the team, right?

After sitting out an entire year for a fight, you are right. Now Sipili is getting a second chance. Lynn Katoa (I'm sure you OU boys know who he is - Stoops wanted him bad) will have to sit out a year for a fight as well.

But at OU, unless your actions directly threaten the football team (Bomar), you don't get punished.

Well said. Nobody's saying he should be tossed off the team, but he should be punished, that much is clear.

There's nothing on this link that suggests to me that the program can't bench a kid for off-field behavior, regardless of where or when.

http://www.national-letter.org/

I think (maybe?) Dorn is a high school coach who's put kids in D1 programs. I wonder if he's seen a college coach punish a student for a violation that occurred prior to enrollment?

Yes I am a High School coach, and yes I have seen one of my player punished before he ever attended school. It was a minor in position ticket. Barrnett punished the kid by giving a scholarship to another player instead of him. He played one more year as a walk on, he was a starting special teams player and ended up quiting when his parents could no longer pay tuition.

Yes I am a High School coach, and yes I have seen one of my player punished before he ever attended school. It was a minor in position ticket. Barrnett punished the kid by giving a scholarship to another player instead of him. He played one more year as a walk on, he was a starting special teams player and ended up quiting when his parents could no longer pay tuition.

Must have been one hell of a position!!

Back