What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

TN VOLS fans coming to UCLA/Colorado game

Haven't booked that yet...willing to drive to get to golf
Fossil Trace is nice as suggested....but it’s a little gimmicky for my taste. If you’re open to driving, Bear Dance is about an hour drive south of Denver and is excellent. Green Valley Ranch is also veey good, it’s near DIA. The Omni (near where you’re staying Friday) is a very good course as well.

Fossil Trace is nice as suggested....but it’s a little gimmicky for my taste. If you’re open to driving, Bear Dance is about an hour drive south of Denver and is excellent. Green Valley Ranch is also veey good, it’s near DIA. The Omni (near where you’re staying Friday) is a very good course as well.

Gimmicky? How so?

Omni is a good one too. That’s usually where they do the local celebrity (elway etc) tournaments if I remember correctly.

Gimmicky? How so?

Omni is a good one too. That’s usually where they do the local celebrity (elway etc) tournaments if I remember correctly.
I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday about the Ridge. Similar issues. You have a few holes with extremely awkward natural terrain features that you don't typically see on a premiere golf course.

Both are well maintained, do their best to control time of play (although the Ridge struggles on Fridays and weekends), and are worth a visit, but both are also a bit different than a standard premium track.

Agree with you on Fossil Trace. Omni, Arrowhead, Deer Creek and even Fox Hollow are better foothill options IMO. Disagree on Green Valley Ranch. Best courses near the airport are Buffalo Run and Murphy Creek.

@UTVols if you have loads of time and money, you might consider Red Sky Ranch, Breckenridge Golf Club or Raven at Three Peaks for the true mountain experience.

I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday about the Ridge. Similar issues. You have a few holes with extremely awkward natural terrain features that you don't typically see on a premiere golf course.

Both are well maintained, do their best to control time of play (although the Ridge struggles on Fridays and weekends), and are worth a visit, but both are also a bit different than a standard premium track.

I could see that. First time I went I said out loud, “why the **** is there a rock in the middle of the course??” Haha! It’s a crazy course and it’s very difficult at times. It changes elevation so quickly at points and some of the greens are downright brutal. It’s a course you have to master for sure...first time I went I got 1 par and felt accomplished, I got my ass kicked.

Gimmicky? How so?

Jim Engh has a reputation for incorporating interesting elements into his golf courses, and he does that in spades at FR (the limestone cliffs and the old structures that remain in place like the chimney in the fairway of #1), and I enjoy all that. Most of his courses look much harder from the tee than they actually are, as they play more forgiving than they appear....which is good for my game :)! I actually really enjoy his courses, Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction is fantastic. Specifically at FR though, there are a few holes that play more like a golden tee course. The two holes that have the greens in the HUGE bowls that funnel everything to the green, the handful of greens that have MASSIVE shelves, #10 is a little funky in its layout, as are a few other holes (#12). Don’t get me wrong, I like the course a lot, and really enjoy it.....it’s just a little untraditional to make It more interesting. It’s cool, but gimmicky. I was probably a little strong in saying that it too gimmicky for my taste. But if I was coming to town to play golf here, I think I would prefer playing a few other courses first.

Jim Engh has a reputation for incorporating interesting elements into his golf courses, and he does that in spades at FR (the limestone cliffs and the old structures that remain in place like the chimney in the fairway of #1), and I enjoy all that. Most of his courses look much harder from the tee than they actually are, as they play more forgiving than they appear....which is good for my game :)! I actually really enjoy his courses, Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction is fantastic. Specifically at FR though, there are a few holes that play more like a golden tee course. The two holes that have the greens in the HUGE bowls that funnel everything to the green, the handful of greens that have MASSIVE shelves, #10 is a little funky in its layout, as are a few other holes (#12). Don’t get me wrong, I like the course a lot, and really enjoy it.....it’s just a little untraditional to make It more interesting. It’s cool, but gimmicky. I was probably a little strong in saying that it too gimmicky for my taste. But if I was coming to town to play golf here, I think I would prefer playing a few other courses first.

Can’t disagree with anything you said! I got killed the 1st time I went but the subsequent times I was much better now that I kind of know how it plays.

Agree with you on Fossil Trace. Omni, Arrowhead, Deer Creek and even Fox Hollow are better foothill options IMO. Disagree on Green Valley Ranch. Best courses near the airport are Buffalo Run and Murphy Creek.

@UTVols if you have loads of time and money, you might consider Red Sky Ranch, Breckenridge Golf Club or Raven at Three Peaks for the true mountain experience.
All good courses too. My only disagreement is on Buffalo Run. Cool design, but I feel like every time I play there, the course is in terrible condition. I would also throw Riverdale Dunes in as a preference for courses near DIA. That’s a nice course

Top options for golf on our end are:
Broadmoor
Sanctuary
Club at Ravenna
Bear Creek

If you can get on at the Sanctuary, absolutely yes 100%. I don't know how you're going to get on though. I've only played it once in a charity thing.

Broadmoor
Sanctuary
Club at Ravenna
Bear Creek
Yeah. The Sanctuary is pretty much at the top of everybody’s list. Unless you are a close personal friend of Dave Linnegar, you might find it difficult to get a tee time there.

All good courses too. My only disagreement is on Buffalo Run. Cool design, but I feel like every time I play there, the course is in terrible condition. I would also throw Riverdale Dunes in as a preference for courses near DIA. That’s a nice course
Personal factoid, I was on the crew that built the Dunes. Got to have lunch with Pete Dye a couple of times.

If you can get on at the Sanctuary, absolutely yes 100%. I don't know how you're going to get on though. I've only played it once in a charity thing.

Yeah. The Sanctuary is pretty much at the top of everybody’s list. Unless you are a close personal friend of Dave Linnegar, you might find it difficult to get a tee time there.
Pretty sure you have to be there with a charity event to play. My buddy got married there and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even an option to play a round, even though they had already dropped around $50k+

Worked at Sanctuary in the summer during college. I'm sorry to say but unless DL is close personal friend, you are a upper level REMAX employee, already have that locked up from a charity event auction, or are PFM or some other very notable Tenn. alum you won't be playing there.

Worked at Sanctuary in the summer during college. I'm sorry to say but unless DL is close personal friend, you are a upper level REMAX employee, already have that locked up from a charity event auction, or are PFM or some other very notable Tenn. alum you won't be playing there.
How about if you are DBT?

What if you know OJ Simpson?

if you have loads of time and money, you might consider Red Sky Ranch, Breckenridge Golf Club or Raven at Three Peaks for the true mountain experience.

About to go get my ass kicked by Red Sky Ranch again next week. If you are even a foot into that rough, you'll never find that ball.

Just got a great deal at Sanctuary on GolfNow. Foursome for $130.
I was about to laugh at every Colorado resident, including myself, but I can't replicate your results. Are you sure you grabbed the right Sanctuary?

upload_2018-8-28_8-27-4.png
Capture.JPG

There’s no way he has the right Sanctuary. Assuming, for a moment, that you could set up a tee time online there, there’s no way in God’s Green Earth that a foursome would cost $130.00

Maybe $130 for nine holes... for one person.

I think the course in Estes Park is fun as long as you don't mind the Elk gallery.

cfiles49711.jpg

elk-in-the-sand-trap.jpg

Broadmoor
Sanctuary
Club at Ravenna
Bear Creek
Echoing what others have said. Sanctuary only allows you to play via charity events, unless you're connected. I've played it, it was in incredible shape, in a beautiful location with amazing amenities, but it honestly wasn't my favorite course. Target golf for sure, and some crazy elevated tee boxes.

Bear Creek is a private men's only course, so you'll need to know a member to get on. I've played that one as well, and it is an amazing track if you can figure out how to get a tee time. Fox Hollow is literally right across the street and is a good course as well, and usually in excellent condition.

Broadmoor is amazing as well, but it is a bit of a haul to the south end of Colorado Springs.

I haven't played Ravenna, but I hear it is a fun, beautiful, and tough course. If you can't get on there, per the other's suggestions, Arrowhead is just south of Ravenna, and has some amazing views.

Back