What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two pull away in Buffs’ QB battle

Honest question, and I just don't know enough to answer myself.
But after so few practices, is the reason Ballenger is being left out of this conversation based on the couple of comments from Helfrich to a reporter?
Is this because he hasn't pulled away and shown enough during practice so far?

I feel like we aren't being fair to him to exclude him so quickly --- so explain to me if there's something more I should understand.

I would assume people are leaving Ballenger out of the discussion because they don't believe he has a legitimate shot at being the starter.

If you do, go for it...but I haven't seen anything personally to convince me that he has what it takes

and FWIW...I think Cody will be the guy, but will be rooting for Hansen to prove me wrong

Honest question, and I just don't know enough to answer myself.
But after so few practices, is the reason Ballenger is being left out of this conversation based on the couple of comments from Helfrich to a reporter?
Is this because he hasn't pulled away and shown enough during practice so far?

I feel like we aren't being fair to him to exclude him so quickly --- so explain to me if there's something more I should understand.
It's still early. But every practice I've been to he hasn't done much. At least when compared to the other QB's. I think the most disappointing thing is he's been in the program for 3 years and he hasn't really asserted himself as someone to look out for.

But like I said, it's still only the first week of practice. Hopefully he steps up in the first scrimmage.

and FWIW...I think Cody will be the guy, but will be rooting for Hansen to prove me wrong

I hope Hansen steps up. Trust me, I know Hansen is the more athletic kid to have on the field. He adds another dimension to the offense. But he needs to show he has a handle on the playbook.

But this talk about how we are doomed if Cody is the starter is absurd. He should have a lot more weapons around him. And hopefully a quality running game. And if he's still over throwing receivers and throwing straight at defensive linemen, then I'll be among the people calling for Hansen to come in.

I hope Hansen steps up. Trust me, I know Hansen is the more athletic kid to have on the field. He adds another dimension to the offense. But he needs to show he has a handle on the playbook.

But this talk about how we are doomed if Cody is the starter is absurd. He should have a lot more weapons around him. And hopefully a quality running game. And if he's still over throwing receivers and throwing straight at defensive linemen, then I'll be among the people calling for Hansen to come in.

I'm with you 100% here....Cody did some terrific things as a R-shirt Frosh when he simply had a little better protection....now think what he can do if he gets that same type of protection but throw in some much better weapons running & catching the ball

Cody is a very solid and very very smart player...he might not be able to take us to the promised land of a national championship, but he certainly can win some games and lots of them....I've never seen him as a liability whatsoever

Funny thing about this is there wasn't anybody pissing and moaning about this when Cody was beating Texas Tech and OU. He has shown the ability to lead this team. I think last season was Cody trying to carry the team on his back. He tried to make too much happen. Do I have to remind people here that Cody was only a Sophomore last season?

He has also led us to epic #10 and #12 rankings in Big 12 scoring offense the last two years.

I would assume people are leaving Ballenger out of the discussion because they don't believe he has a legitimate shot at being the starter.

If you do, go for it...but I haven't seen anything personally to convince me that he has what it takes

I haven't seen anything to prove or disprove, haven't been up to a practice yet, and there wasn't much Ballenger to see last year, so I don't have a personal opinion. I was just hoping that the 3-way qb battle would be exciting and hard to predict for longer than four practices.

You're right, Cody has nothing to do with it.:cool:

11-13 record does not exactly inspire confidence either.

You're right. It's all on Cody. 100%. :rolleyes:

So you think throwing in Hansen is the answer to all of our problems? He didn't exactly light the field on fire last season either. Last I remember none of the coaches trusted him to throw the ball at all in the last two games.

11-13 isn't that bad considering what we've been putting on the field.

Will all three QBs get some playing time at Saturday's scrimmage?
I'm planning on being there - weather or not - and would like to see Ballenger for myself --- I'd imagine they'd all share time, at least some time.

am I likely right?

I'm planning on being there - weather or not - and would like to see Ballenger for myself --- I'd imagine they'd all share time, at least some time.

am I likely right?

They will all get plenty of snaps and playing time, and I would guess they all get shots running the 1st team offense, as the race is still wide open with many more practices and scrimmages to go before a starter is picked.

Ballenger just needs to gain some confidence in himself & his reads and he could be good....but that's been the same knock on him for 2 years now

am I likely right?
Yes. But I'm not sure how they will distribute the time. I expect to see Cody and Tyler both running with the first team. At least for the first scrimmage. I think we might see Ballenger getting most of his reps with the backups.

Not 100% on this though. This is the first scrimmage of the spring. So I don't think they will really have first teamers and second stringers.

I think everybody has made some valid points so im not gonna add to it. All I have to say is this. Right now, this is CHawk's job. If Hansen wants it, he has to beat him out completely and same goes for Ballenger. If they are even going into the fall, I think you have to, at the very least, start the season with Hawk as the starter. Alot of reasons for that have already been stated in posts above, experience is the key to me. I think the biggest key for any of our qb's is a solid running game, it is a must. Amazing how much easier everything else becomes, including pass blocking, when you can just line and bust peoples ass in the mouth. Hell, that is the CU I grew up watching anyway and I wanna see it again.

One thing we can all agree on here is we need a clear cut starter going into Fall Camp. If we bread Spring Ball deadlocked between Hansen and Hawkins, things could get messy for Danny boy.

You're right. It's all on Cody. 100%. :rolleyes:

So you think throwing in Hansen is the answer to all of our problems? He didn't exactly light the field on fire last season either. Last I remember none of the coaches trusted him to throw the ball at all in the last two games.

11-13 isn't that bad considering what we've been putting on the field.

So you agree that the truth lies somewhere in between? Cody deserves some blame for our offensive, glad we got that figured out.

I don't think throwing Hansen is the answer to all our problems. I also don't think it is that crazy of an outcome as you and others seem to make it. The fact we're even having this conversation tells you the coaches think Cody has some work to do.

I think everybody has made some valid points so im not gonna add to it. All I have to say is this. Right now, this is CHawk's job. If Hansen wants it, he has to beat him out completely and same goes for Ballenger. If they are even going into the fall, I think you have to, at the very least, start the season with Hawk as the starter. Alot of reasons for that have already been stated in posts above, experience is the key to me. I think the biggest key for any of our qb's is a solid running game, it is a must. Amazing how much easier everything else becomes, including pass blocking, when you can just line and bust peoples ass in the mouth. Hell, that is the CU I grew up watching anyway and I wanna see it again.

I feel like the experience argument becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at some point.

I could see that but I still think it's Cody's job until somebody proves otherwise. Only stat that matters are W's. If Cody is starting week 1, its because he gives CU the best chance to win. If not and it's Hansen or Ballenger, same applies.

I cant agree anymore than with what Valdez has said in this thread. I am not a Cody sympathizer but he is our best option ESPECIALLY with our new offense. I would have liked Tyler in the offense we had last year, but Cody is our best option now. He is not an all american but he is a leader, a battler, experienced, and capable so I'll take it. After our surprise 9 or 10 win season we will be able to recruit a true great college quarterback capable of getting us an MNC, but i'll be just fine with Cody this year.

I cant agree anymore than with what Valdez has said in this thread. I am not a Cody sympathizer but he is our best option ESPECIALLY with our new offense. I would have liked Tyler in the offense we had last year, but Cody is our best option now. He is not an all american but he is a leader, a battler, experienced, and capable so I'll take it. After our surprise 9 or 10 win season we will be able to recruit a true great college quarterback capable of getting us an MNC, but i'll be just fine with Cody this year.

If Cody has a healthy line, healthy running backs with some experience, and Jfly, Simmons and Simas to throw to---- i think he will suddenly look like a much better QB. I doubt that there will be a big reason to put Hansen in-- the games we lose will be to obvious better teams.

On the other hand, we are avoiding the elephant in the room in this discussion. All three QBs, regardless of who is named the starter now, will quiver in submission to Clark Evans when he arrives this fall. Three years from now announcers will refer to Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway as 'A poor man's Clark Evans'.:smile2:

One thing too, is the fact that Hansen and Hawkins are pushing each other in practice. That will only make each QB that much better.....GO BUFFS!!!!!!!

If we get a solid running game going and have even mediocre pass protection (neither of which we had at all last year), then whichever QB is back there will look a LOT better.

I sincerely hope not. Do I need to remind you what happened in his last pass attempt? Batted in the air, intercepted and returned for a touchdown. :ahhhhh:

I love his competitiveness, drive, and football savvy. As I've said before, he makes the prototypical backup quarterback. The guy who can come in and run the offense in a pinch when the starter goes down. BUT, we need our starter to have more weapons in his arsenal. He needs to have better feet, a stronger arm, and taller. Hansen has all Spring, all fall camp, and the first three games of the year to get "comfortable" running the offense. We'll be in much better shape, long term, if he's able to do that.

Agreed! You make a excellant point. Do you or anyone else have a statistic that shows how many passes Cody threw last year that were batted down? I recall one of the home games where I think I counted 5 or 6? As a possible starter, Hansons height and mobility would reduce that number dramatically.

Breaking this competition down to two is a good thing. Both Cody and Tyler get more attention and reps.
Cody will be the starter in the fall. Where is the advantage to starting Hansen? Is he significantly an upgrade?
If Hansen wins the starting job does that effect next years qb recruiting in a negative way?

Agreed! You make a excellant point. Do you or anyone else have a statistic that shows how many passes Cody threw last year that were batted down? I recall one of the home games where I think I counted 5 or 6? As a possible starter, Hansons height and mobility would reduce that number dramatically.
as long as he stops throwing 4 picks for every TD... even with a few AWFUL performances last year Cody was 17 TD's 10 INTs...

If we get a solid running game going and have even mediocre pass protection (neither of which we had at all last year), then whichever QB is back there will look a LOT better.

yup... which is why I have argued taht 17 TD's and 10 INT's could easily jump to 30/10 with a fair amt of yards thrown in...

One thing too, is the fact that Hansen and Hawkins are pushing each other in practice. That will only make each QB that much better.....GO BUFFS!!!!!!!
Yes. I love it. I don't mind that it is down to two either...
Breaking this competition down to two is a good thing. Both Cody and Tyler get more attention and reps.
Cody will be the starter in the fall. Where is the advantage to starting Hansen? Is he significantly an upgrade?
If Hansen wins the starting job does that effect next years qb recruiting in a negative way?
Not really unless he goes off the chart.
yup.
If Cody has a healthy line, healthy running backs with some experience, and Jfly, Simmons and Simas to throw to---- i think he will suddenly look like a much better QB. I doubt that there will be a big reason to put Hansen in-- the games we lose will be to obvious better teams.

On the other hand, we are avoiding the elephant in the room in this discussion. All three QBs, regardless of who is named the starter now, will quiver in submission to Clark Evans when he arrives this fall. Three years from now announcers will refer to Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway as 'A poor man's Clark Evans'.:smile2:
:rofl: :thumbsup:

I'm not some big Cody fan telling anyone he's going to lead us to a MNC. But at the moment he's the best option we have at QB. Hansen isn't really showing too much at practice. I do agree that Hansen is a lot more athletic than CH. But Cody give us the better chance at winning.

He's going to start unless Hansen starts to show he can grasp the playbook and make the throws. But he needs to start stepping up soon. Hansen needs to win this challenge in the Spring and take some momentum to Fall Camp. If this goes into the fall, I think Cody will be the starter.
If Cody starts we are looking at a 500 season, 6 wins at the most.

Absolutely.
well, if Cody wins the QB battle (not a sure thing... yet) I am pretty damn sure Cody will reach close to those #s... However, breaking every single passing TD record in CU's book may be going a bit out of whack.
I will humbly lower my #'s to 25/10/300oyds. What do you want to bet? (note: I am always happy to bet on my buffs... and yes I do know that 25 TD's is still record breaking;)
Game?
Oh ya, wtf are we gonna bet?

Back