What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two pull away in Buffs’ QB battle

I don't doubt Cody will set some QB records if he ends up being the starter again this year. That does not mean he is an elite QB.

I don't care what the bet is.

If the competition is even at the end of spring, Hansen should be the guy. He has much less experience. Cody is in year 4 at CU, plus he redshirted 5 years at Boise State. Hansen is in year 2 and clearly MUCH more physically gifted.

Our core talent nucleus is in the underclassmen. If Hansen can compete with Cody, he's my guy.

You're right. That's all on Cody. :rolleyes:

Winning is the only stat that I care about.

Then you must be frustrated with his win/loss record. Maybe a strong running game and solid OL play will enhance cody's numbers and play. But his arm isn't going to become elway like and he isn't going to grow anymore.

He's a warrior much like moschetti, klatt etc.. but he has to be able to make plays that aren't there too.

He'll be the starter vs csu and we will hear the experience factor by coaches. Just win is right, but we can't have 13-29- 163 yds 1- 3 int's each game.

I hope the running game and OL make a big difference and cody shines, I also hope hansen steps his game up. We need a qb who can make plays and not turn it over, whoever that may be is fine with me. Just win.

I don't doubt Cody will set some QB records if he ends up being the starter again this year. That does not mean he is an elite QB.

I don't care what the bet is.

30 td's- 10 int's.....:lol: I bet scott goes for 2000 and 35 td's with our OL .....

Okay.

The fight song glasses are nice. I have a couple. We can certainly bet one of those, but the question is this: do you want the glass or the delicious beer to go in the glass?:smile2:
damn. rough choice. I chose something along this line because it would be simple. However, I am more than happy to fill your glass at the Dark Horse or at some other establishment of your choice (or vice versa :wink2:) so we can discuss how the Buffs are gonna do in the Big XII Championship game, etc.

damn. rough choice. I chose something along this line because it would be simple. However, I am more than happy to fill your glass at the Dark Horse or at some other establishment of your choice (or vice versa :wink2:) so we can discuss how the Buffs are gonna do in the Big XII Championship game, etc.

Let's plan on doing something like that. BTW, this is one bet I would not mind losing.

Let's plan on doing something like that. BTW, this is one bet I would not mind losing.
bet is made, input into calendar. # is 25TD's or 30? If it's 30 I want 2-1 odds;)

Edit: and I hope this bet never happens cause Hansen wins the job and proves you all right. Or that Clark Evans takes it and makes that Chuck Norris thread oddly prescient!

Last edited:
bet is made, input into calendar. # is 25TD's or 30? If it's 30 I want 2-1 odds;)

Edit: and I hope this bet never happens cause Hansen wins the job and proves you all right. Or that Clark Evans takes it and makes that Chuck Norris thread oddly prescient!

We can do 25/10 for you. A kind Allbuffs soul suggested a sig or avatar bet as well. I think that would be fun too. Winner gets to choose a sig or avatar for the loser for one month?

If any of our qb's go for 25/10, I would be a happy camper. That and a solid running game will get us some w's.

We can do 25/10 for you. A kind Allbuffs soul suggested a sig or avatar bet as well. I think that would be fun too. Winner gets to choose a sig or avatar for the loser for one month?
I truly doubt the allbuffs soul that suggested such a thing is "kind" considering the usual suspects and the fact that it was in a PM.

Sig/Avatar is fine. cheaper too!

Put me in the camp that if Cody starts then we are in trouble.

Leadership has to come from more than one player...I also know that if a guy cannot get his job done then his leadership position is comprised.

Cody is not a Big 12 starting level QB. I agree that he may be a solid backup but not a starter - his limitations are just too much.

Last year at the end of the season KU was down by 4 with a 1:50 minute left...a FG does not cut it..Reesing led a TD drive for a victory over a tough Missouri team. Cody is in the same position against NU and gets an INT - game over. That is the difference.

Leadership has to come from more than one player...I also know that if a guy cannot get his job done then his leadership position is comprised.

Cody is not a Big 12 starting level QB. I agree that he may be a solid backup but not a starter - his limitations are just too much.

Last year at the end of the season KU was down by 4 with a 1:50 minute left...a FG does not cut it..Reesing led a TD drive for a victory over a tough Missouri team. Cody is in the same position against NU and gets an INT - game over. That is the difference.
Wait a minute. You're blaming the kNU loss on Cody's shoulders?

I haven't once said Cody was faultless, but you can keep on badgering me about it if it makes you feel better Boulder Buff. I don't know what you were watching last season, but I saw an offense that couldn't provide 2 seconds of protection for a sophomore QB. We all know what Cody had to work with at WR as well.

I haven't once said Cody was faultless, but you can keep on badgering me about it if it makes you feel better Boulder Buff. I don't know what you were watching last season, but I saw an offense that couldn't provide 2 seconds of protection for a sophomore QB. We all know what Cody had to work with at WR as well.

You guys keep this up and we'll all get banned from the Spring Game. Mum's the word from on high...:smile2:

I don't care who the starting qb is come September.

I just want one of them to step up, grab this opportunity by its gonads, and start putting tick marks in the W column.

Did not put the NU loss on Cody's shoulders but he did throw 3 picks 2 of which resulted in 10 points for the Huskers in a game that CU lost by 9. I am pointing out that other QBs in the Big 12 come up big in crunch time. Everyone likes to say that CU got beat by a miraculous kick. But there was still time on the clock and CU just needed a FG to win. The INT was as big in my mind as the kick.

Did not put the NU loss on Cody's shoulders but he did throw 3 picks 2 of which resulted in 10 points for the Huskers in a game that CU lost by 9. I am pointing out that other QBs in the Big 12 come up big in crunch time. Everyone likes to say that CU got beat by a miraculous kick. But there was still time on the clock and CU just needed a FG to win. The INT was as big in my mind as the kick.
Dude. The kick beat CU. That kind of kick would beat most teams. It totally deflated our team. Most fans knew we were done after that FG.

I don't care who the starting qb is come September.

I just want one of them to step up, grab this opportunity by its gonads, and start putting tick marks in the W column.

I kind of agree with this, though I hope Hansen steps up because of his physical skills. The real key to a successful season is the rest of the offense stepping up. Without the OL, WRs, and RBs making a difference, the QBs will be running for their lives again.

I kind of agree with this, though I hope Hansen steps up because of his physical skills. The real key to a successful season is the rest of the offense stepping up. Without the OL, WRs, and RBs making a difference, the QBs will be running for their lives again.

At least Hansen could do that... :huh:

Then he sealed the deal with a INT. :huh:

I know of a few games cody sealed the deal with a pick. I want to see how cody or hansen does with a solid OL and running game. We do need a qb who can make plays that aren't there and hit the deep ball.

Can you feel it? There is hope but a sense of urgency in 2009, time to $hit or get off the pot. I'm getting pumped, I want to come on this board and have people asking me how my crow taste and I want to be able to shut up fans from kansas,missouri and most of all..well you know who, I'll take the woody hayes on that team....

I know of a few games cody sealed the deal with a pick. I want to see how cody or hansen does with a solid OL and running game. We do need a qb who can make plays that aren't there and hit the deep ball.
All I am trying to point out here is both QB's have major flaws. Cody's arm and mobility are problems for him. The thing that scares me most about Tyler is the staff's complete lack of faith in him throwing the ball. Nobody can deny that they didn't want him to throw the ball in the couple last remaining games of the season. Every time he came in vs. kNU, everyone knew he was going to run. And that's exactly what happened.

All I am trying to point out here is both QB's have major flaws. Cody's arm and mobility are problems for him. The thing that scares me most about Tyler is the staff's complete lack of faith in him throwing the ball. Nobody can deny that they didn't want him to throw the ball in the couple last remaining games of the season. Every time he came in vs. kNU, everyone knew he was going to run. And that's exactly what happened.

He has the arm, maybe helfrich can earn his money and develop him and improve his passing. He looked fine earlier in the year throwing it,but I guess trying to get the best and maximize the talent of hansen is too much for helfrich to handle. :rolleyes:

He has the arm, maybe helfrich can earn his money and develop him and improve his passing. He looked fine earlier in the year throwing it,but I guess trying to get the best and maximize the talent of hansen is too much for helfrich to handle. :rolleyes:

That;s my point exactly. I think Helfrich is a mediocre coach. Cabral can take an average running back and turn him into an All AMerican Butkus finalist (shoud've have won it) Linebacker. What can Helfrich do? Jack $hit, he cant take a mediocre QB and turn him into anything beyond what his abilities are when he shows up a CU. IF a QB isnt good when he becomes a BUFF, he isnt going to get much better from Hel****'s great tutelage. He's not a QB coach, and he's a medioce O. Coord as it is. CU needs a genuine QB coach for these to play beyond their abilities.

"10 and NO" Man!!! (I believe our running game will win more games than the passing game, if I had to pick one over the other).

With regards to the 300 passing yds/game, I am personally of the opinion that if our QB's are throwing for 300 yds per game, there is a significant issue with the offense.

I think it is pretty clear that with the current personnel on this team, we are not going to have an elite passing attack (the type that wins you 10+ games). I have much more hope that our offense can click if we line up a big, strong, talented OL and hand the ball off to a few of our talented backs and get DS and RS 20 carries each a game.

The staff wants to utter mentions of 10 wins? Then they need to play to our strengths. I've mentioned this before but teams that win that many games always have one area of their team that is spectacular, be it the passing game, a dominant defense, or the combination of a great ball-control running game with a rock solid defense.

I do not think that our Buffs are going to have a stellar defense. I think it will be good enough to put us in the position to win games - as it did for the majority of last year - but it is not going to be suffocating. There are too many questions up front and, again, too much youth; Corners will be a strength, LB's should be above average (losing Katoa hurts more than most are willing to admit, the guy projected to be a stud).

The point being, I think if we are throwing the ball 35 or 40 times a game, we have a problem. I'd like to see the pass attempts limited to the low to mid 20s; that is the situation in which a QB like Cody can shine. No way we win 10 games if either one of our QB's is throwing the ball all day long... it simply is not going to happen. Our WR's aren't there and our QB's aren't there.

Point being... we really need our young backs to perform this year or we will run into some serious problems, IMO.

A few things after reading this thread.

1. A QB's success, any QB's success is entirely dependant on the other players around him. If the O-line is not keeping the D off of him he has no chance to set up, read the D, step into, and make his pass following through. Last year with the O-line resembling a MASH unit we had no consistency and the QB's started each snap in panic mode, "get rid of the ball before I get killed" mode. This season with a deeper, more experienced O-line we should see a different look on O regardless of who the QB is. This same O-line will also make the running game more consistently effective further helping the QB's. If the recievers can step up and make some big catches that for the most part they did not make last year, the few chances they had to complete a pattern, the O should be very much improved.

2. Height of the QB can make a difference for an offense but not all the difference. First off a lot of posters here have made a big deal out of the idea that Miller is 6'8", Solder 6'7", Givens 6'6" etc. This would be significant if O-linemen played standing straight up but they don't. Pass blocking effectively involves raising slightly on your toes but playing in a position that involves bent knees and a bend at the waist leaning slightly forward to absorb the forward momentum of the defender. Because of this the lineman is going to be a few inches below his standing height. The D linemen are going to be leaning forward as well so the effective height that a QB has to see over is not that high. That said the further away from the QB the line can maintain their position the easier it is for the QB to see and the wider the lanes between defenders to see and pass through. Also a consideration is how effectively an OL can keep the DL from getting hands up into the passing lanes.
There have been a number of very effective QBs who are not much taller than Cody. Drew Brees is only about an inch to an inch and a half taller and does pretty well. On the other hand the majority of NFL QBs are 6'3" to 6'6" so there is clearly and advantage.

3. Hawk loves his kid but is also highly competitive and not dumb. He is going to play the QB that he thinks is going to give him the best chance to win. Despite his shortcomings (pun intended) Cody is not a bad option. He is not Sam Bradford, he is not Tim Tebow, but he is a decent Big XII quality QB. If Hansen steps up in the mental parts of the game he is clearly more gifted than Cody. As a Buffs fan I would love to see this happen because Hansen gives us more of a deep ball threat and his mobility adds significant problems for a D. He showed significant moxie stepping in as a true freshman behind a badly broken line. If he can develop an understanding of enough of the O to be effective I don't question that Hawk will truly consider handing him the reins.

4. Ballinger is a big, mobile, athletic player. He also seems to be reasonably intelligent as a FB player. Unfortunately we have all seen that talent doesn't always translate to production on the field. I would like to have him around as added depth at QB but realistically unless he made some real steps forward he was not going to see the field short a major disaster, in that case I would rather have his scholly and use on of the Fr. as a disaster QB. I wish him the best in his future whether it is as a QB at a smaller school or in BB. Realistically, this kind of thing happens. Players see that their future is not where they wanted to go. If he wants to blame it on Cody being Hawk's son or anything else it happens. Future recruits are going to see that Cody is now a JR. No matter what happens he only has one year after this one so that will not be an issue. If Hansen ends up as the starter, Cody is no longer a factor for recruits.

5. It is amazing that coachs tend to be geniuses when they have healthy talent and idiots when they lack it. Helfrich will be looked at very different if we are averaging close to 5 yards a carry in the running game and completing passes on third down because the QBs are not running for their lives. With a healthy DS knocking LBs on their butts and D-coordinators afraid of Speedy turning hand-offs into TDs there will be room and opportunity for the passing game to succeed.

I am not saying that this year we should be U$C or need extra digits on the scoreboard but I am expecting a major step forward this year. Hopefully this takes some of the pressure off of the D as well. We are going bowling, I don't know where but barring a bus wreck on the way to the stadium we will win a number more games than last year.

Here's my take on Cody.
The offense looks to Cody as the leader. What he lacks in top level D-1 physical attributes, he makes up for in being the emotional leader of the team.

With Cody on the bench, I do not know who the offensive leader would be. Will the team rally around Hansen the same way they do Cody? Is there an other starter anywhere on the offensive side of the ball who can bring hearts and minds together the same way Cody does?

"Know the playbook" might just be a euphanism for being able to rally the team with superior leadership skills.

I don't know if Cody can be the captain from the sidelines. You really need the captain on the field.

I think Cody has had more than his share of chances to prove himself, not only as a leader/captain, but as a winning Div. 1 QB.

He's not lacking in leadership skills/abiliities but he may be lacking in player skills and believe me, no matter how much his fellow players may respect him, they want a winner in that position on the field.

If Hansen is a better QB, gving them a better chance at winning football games, then they will want Hansen.

Back