What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Coaching Search?

That is a very reversible decision, Howland bitched left and right about it but unlike Boyle (who values chartering and has indicated that he'd rather charter than have the money in his pocket) he chose the extra pay. You lay in the bed you've made, the next coach could very easily change course on chartering.

Very true. Boyle would love to have both, but he has demonstrated a different set of priorities than Howland. Tad puts the program first, understanding that the success that comes from that will take naturally take care of his personal wants. Very entrepreneurial and shows a tremendous level of self-confidence in that he's banking on his success if he has the tools rather than guarding against his failure and getting his now.

Also, this thing about charters and other program resources is why it's so hard to get Mark Few to leave Gonzaga. They charter everything. Their recruiting budget is as big as Few wants it to be. Their scheduling is not limited by travel costs, so he has total freedom. He also earns compensation that makes him want for nothing while creating generational wealth. He's got the complete support of the university, populace and the media. It would take one hell of a situation for him to give that up since he's not driven by the ego gratification of being able to strut around in the "big tent" of a blueblood program. We need to create a similar situation for Tad if we want him to coach our Buffs for the next however many years he wants to coach before retiring.

FWIW, the UCLA Scout site is reporting that it looks like they are close to signing a new coach that they have been in discussions with all week when they realized it was fairly certain Stevens wasn't going to take the job. What's interesting is that all their other reported top choices (Pitino, Donovan, Self...even Greg Marshall and Buzz Williams) are all still coaching. Can't imagine whoever is getting the gig would take it with his team still playing for the Natty. So maybe Gottfried or an NBA guy like Mike Brown or Van Gundy? Unless the Shaka is staying stuff is a smokescreen? Or Few maybe...they seemed to go out of their way to keep his name from be associated with the search.

That is a very reversible decision, Howland bitched left and right about it but unlike Boyle (who values chartering and has indicated that he'd rather charter than have the money in his pocket) he chose the extra pay. You lay in the bed you've made, the next coach could very easily change course on chartering.

That's all true. But UCLA's general commitment to spend the big bucks to win just does not seem to be there like it is with the true current bluebloods, even with the renovated Pauley.

If he's not good enough for Columbia, I doubt UCLA would think he's good enough for them. He's just using his name recognition to promote himself. I hope no one is taking this too seriously.

Besides, he didn't work hard on defense. A lot of times he didn't even run down the court. And he never really tried, except during the playoffs...

Besides, he didn't work hard on defense. A lot of times he didn't even run down the court. And he never really tried, except during the playoffs...

"The hell I don't! LISTEN KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes." :lol:

Do the Buffs (and other schools) normally charter planes?

Big 12 schools have chartered planes for years--for both men's and women's basketball. Players don't lose as much class time that way. Before fans are done drinking after the game, the team is in the air and on their way home.

Good to hear, since this was the only job that had even a remote chance with Tad. Solid hire.

Alford has never made it past the round of 32 in 6 seasons. Lolololololololololololol

I'm hearing lots of talk from Guerrero and ESPN how Alford is going to bring this up tempo style to UCLA. It's simply not the case.

Howland's UCLA teams avg tempo in his 10 yrs was 66.13. Alford's NM teams avg tempo in his 6 yrs was 66.25. Alford has never had a top 100 team in tempo at New Mexico.

Ouch...Alford's $1 million buyout from the extension doesn't kick in until Monday. If he signs this weekend UCLA only has to pay $150k.

Might be bad for our chances with Perkins. New Mexico has been going after Perkins pretty hard, wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA offer him now.

Alford's success will be completely dependent on his ability to repair UCLA's relationships with the big AAU coaches in So Cal. They had started directing talent away from UCLA and also influenced a ton of the transfers the Bruins have suffered.

Dan Wetzel just tweeted that he has a source indicating USC is targeting Andy Enfield. Not the direction I thought they would go, but would be entertaining if they could bring that style LA. Would definitely help put butts in seats.

Back