What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA to seek Permission to speak to Boyle Tomorrow

If I had a bunch of money, I would rather live in LA than Lawrence or Gainesville. BUT - I don't think these guys care that much and UCLA is a risk. It's still a primo job, but it's much better for a Smart or a Stevens. I would be surprised if they get a guy from a major program. But you never know what makes people tick. I think Few would be a good fit. This season should demonstrate to him that he has some serious limitations at Gonzaga.
Between them/Georgetown, you have by far the two most overhyped programs year in/out. Gonzaga hasn't made it out of the Sweet 16 during the Few era. I get his loyalty, but at some point, doesn't he want to challenge himself?

Disagree on Louisville "ceiling" but I totally agree with your Bama comparison.

I do think Kentucky/UK are programs on their footing given they are the main attractions in their states. You have so much competition in LA, people just don't live/die with UCLA basketball like they do at those schools.

I'm simply implying Louisville takes a backseat to Kentucky (and a few of the other top bluebloods). That's not to say Louisville isn't a very solid program that has success most can only dream of (clearly their success under Crum and Pitino has shown that). My point is simply that Louisville isn't Kentucky, and never will be. Location hurts them, more than anything else. That's just a comparison they'll never escape. Pitino's own experience at Louisville pretty clearly shows that. Success has not come as easily for Pitino in Louisville as it did in Lexington. It's always going to be harder to get a national championship at Louisville than it is at Kentucky. The fact Pitino is in position this year is testament to the fact he's an incredible coach, but this has been quite a process for him.

Last edited:
I'm simply implying Louisville takes a backseat to Kentucky (and a few of the other top bluebloods). That's not to say Louisville isn't a very solid program that has success most can only dream of (clearly their success under Crum and Pitino has shown that). My point is simply that Louisville isn't Kentucky, and never will be. Location hurts them, more than anything else. That's just a comparison they'll never escape. Pitino's own experience at Louisville pretty clearly shows that. Success has not come as easily. It's always going to be harder to get a national championship at Louisville than it is at Kentucky.
I don't think location is such a problem, I agree they'll always play second fiddle to Kentucky. I'm not so convinced if everything was the same but they were located in Nebraska (pick a place with a non-pro team), things would be significantly better, if at all. I think there location is both a blessing and a curse. If they win this week, that's four times in the Elite Eight since 2008, that's really difficult to do.

I don't think location is such a problem, I agree they'll always play second fiddle to Kentucky. I'm not so convinced if everything was the same but they were located in Nebraska (pick a place with a non-pro team), things would be significantly better, if at all. I think there location is both a blessing and a curse. If they win this week, that's four times in the Elite Eight since 2008, that's really difficult to do.

The location isn't a problem in the sense it hurts recruiting or anything. They certainly get their share. I'm implying the location is unfortunate based on being a mere hour's drive down I-64 from a program they play second fiddle to. Even the city of Louisville itself is crawling with support for Kentucky (and to a much lesser extent, Indiana). Just seems the "ideal" is to be the one big program in the area/state and not under the shadow of Kentucky.

Of course, there's North Carolina and Duke 8 miles from each other. Yet being in the same conference, Duke being private, along with the enormous success they now both enjoy (it's easy to forget that while Duke historically had some good teams, it was Krzyzewski that established the true blueblood elite status for them), it's just a different dynamic these days than Kentucky/Louisville. In a sense, you could argue both North Carolina and Duke thrive from that rivalry. It's a crucial part of their identity and the success of one program doesn't seem to overshadow the other (although there's no mistaking that the Heels clearly enjoy the massive advantage in fan support within the state). Kentucky/Louisville is a fun rivalry, but that
"equal footing" dynamic just isn't there in people's minds. At least not yet. There is the irony that these days it's Louisville who plays in the stronger conference(s) for basketball.

Last edited:
I still say Pitino....gets away from the female issue he created in Louisville and gets another Top 5 program to return to prominence

I still say Pitino....gets away from the female issue he created in Louisville and gets another Top 5 program to return to prominence
The female issue is a non-issue. He weathered that storm pretty well. Obviously, if he hadn't been a good coach in the first place, he probably doesn't. But there is a valuable lesson there, get everything out all at once. More politicians should take note. In many cases, the cover-up is worse than the crime.

I don't think Pitino has an issue at all, except maybe with his wife. He cheated and refused to pay extortion money to hush it up. I actually gained respect for him out of that whole mess.

Not saying it happens but Pitino would such a perfectly awesome fit in Westwood.

Take Pastner off the list. Just reported he agreed to stay at Memphis. On phone so too lazy to link.

Take Pastner off the list. Just reported he agreed to stay at Memphis. On phone so too lazy to link.

It's funny. The folks in Memphis still aren't sold on him but he's getting interest from bigger jobs. Pastner is showing his recruiting chops, but in a lot of other areas he's seen as still learning on the job.

It's funny. The folks in Memphis still aren't sold on him but he's getting interest from bigger jobs. Pastner is showing his recruiting chops, but in a lot of other areas he's seen as still learning on the job.

This years Memphis team is full of crazy athletes. That Stephens guy is the most impressive leaper I've ever seen. I don't know how many of them are actually good at basketball though. I can't judge their progress either, I only saw them in the CUSA championship and the tournament.

Boning women who aren't your wife on a restaurant table is more common and acceptable in LA than in Louisville, so there's that for Pitino to consider.

Boning women who aren't your wife on a restaurant table is more common and acceptable in LA than in Louisville, so there's that for Pitino to consider.

The difference is that in Louisville, if a coach is taking the basketball team to Final Fours most fans would think it's acceptable if the coach boned that fan's own wife on a restaurant table. :lol:

Doesn't UCLA barely even charter? They flew Southwest to Tucson.

Shaka is working on a contract extension at VCU

The difference is that in Louisville, if a coach is taking the basketball team to Final Fours most fans would think it's acceptable if the coach boned that fan's own wife on a restaurant table. :lol:
Cheat on your wife is fine as long as you aren't violating any laws or have a conflict interest (see Bobby Petrino)... just win enough games!

Back