What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC is hiring Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma as its new HC

6-7 wins is doable, but requires a pretty significant commitment. From the P12 this season, the teams who meet this criterion all have better coaching (and recruiting obviously) than Colorado. The only partial head scratcher is Wazzu. But, from their preparation and game day execution, it seems like they’re actually pretty well coached.
O, WSU, OSU are all easier to get Athletes into.

I don't follow realignment because - for whatever reason - it doesn't interest me. Will the SEC be playing more conference games after Texas and OU join?

I agree that Alabama and two of the following: LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and Texas A&M will be tough every year and the others will not be. Mississippi State and (historically) Arkansas have been gimmes. Mizzou has been down for a while. Yes, it's a tough football division, I'm not denying that. But I'm not seeing the big scary scenario you are.

I remember when Mizzou and Texas A&M left the Big 12 and doom and gloom was predicted. Both teams did really well their first season there.
True. I think its over with a guy with the reputation Riley has making the kind of move he did today for right now-because I think the Wrighster tweet is accurate. He knew he had to get out while the getting was good, and this was his best opportunity to continue to win like he has in Norman.

I’d add that the we did the 180 within a week or so as we first went for Sark, who’d have fit with the MT mould. So it wasn’t even a continuous process over a few months or so but we essentially pivoted overnight.
Yeah I bet Sark is wishing he'd have come here after the ****show of a debut season he had in Austin.

This is a huge offseason, obviously. Dorrell canning Chev now is a good sign. No reason for him to be here even through the early signing period. Interesting scoop on 247 today in that regard as well. Getting to bowls regularly comes down to finishing games like the loss to Arizona two years ago. For as bad as this team was, it still won three games in the Pac 12.

Regular bowl apperances shouldn't be that hard here-and it doesn't come to down drastically improving recruiting. It comes down to finishing games like the loss to Arizona in 2019, and placing more importance on the Utah game. Not asking Dorrell to do what Mac did 30 years ago with the Nubs-but we're not going to accomplish even that if we're going 2-8 against Utah every decade.

Last edited:
Ultimately I think that @manhattanbuff and me think that the CFP has irrevocably changed the landscape and that the change will get worse for CU with NIL and an expanded play-off if you’re looking at the gap between us and the top 10-20 programs.

We might well gain ground on some ACC or B12 teams but as I have repeatedly stated I don’t think that’ll matter much as we’re heading for a point where it’ll be entirely and solely about those 10-15 or so programs who will absolutely dwarf everyone else and essentially operate a closed shop which might end with a super league type thing.

I also don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that we both follow European football closely where the exact same thing has happened and there are a lot of similarities as both are largely unregulated and following capitalist principles ONLY.
we have everything we need to move up and be a perennial top 15 team that can knock on the door sometimes. except the will.

fix that at the university level and you will see a difference. imagine for a minute if tucker stayed and then you have riley coming in, chip at ucla, and cristobal at oregon and someone big coming in to uw. we are, i believe, a million miles from relevance, and still i see a path. i know. i am probably wrong. again.

we have everything we need to move up and be a perennial top 15 team that can knock on the door sometimes. except the will.

fix that at the university level and you will see a difference. imagine for a minute if tucker stayed and then you have riley coming in, chip at ucla, and cristobal at oregon and someone big coming in to uw. we are, i believe, a million miles from relevance, and still i see a path. i know. i am probably wrong. again.

I think that point has passed due to the gap in revenues between us and the B1G/SEC. And I think the only way we can overcome that gap is by finding our Phil Knight as I think that gap will be bigger once all three conferences have negotiated their new media contracts.

I also don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that we both follow European football closely where the exact same thing has happened and there are a lot of similarities as both are largely unregulated and following capitalist principles ONLY.
I think the analogy is surprisingly close.

College Football Playoff = Champion's League

The P5 conferences = the big country leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc).

Mainz can always theoretically win the Bundesliga and get into the Champion's league, just like Rutgers could theoretically win the B1G and get into the CFP.

Meanwhile, in the real world, it ain't happening.

And it's getting less likely to happen every year due to many of the factors you're identifying.

Absent a billionaire team owner/school donor sinking an absurd amount of money, the dynamic isn't gong to change without some other sea change (like a draft or salary cap).

I think the analogy is surprisingly close.

College Football Playoff = Champion's League

The P5 conferences = the big country leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc).

Mainz can always theoretically win the Bundesliga and get into the Champion's league, just like Rutgers could theoretically win the B1G and get into the CFP.

Meanwhile, in the real world, it ain't happening. And it's getting less likely to happen every year due to many of the factors you're identifying.

Absent a billionaire team owner/school donor sinking an absurd amount of money, the dynamic isn't gong to change absent some other sea change (like a draft).

And the Champions League (and the exposure and money associated with it and the fact that all players want to play in it) has led us to a point where you have around 12 “super clubs” who are essentially untouchable in their own leagues (or were pre Covid but then European football is an economic basket case where everything and then some immediately gets spent on salaries and transfers and the clubs gain very little).

And you may now guess why I keep warning people about the negative effect an expanded playoff will have in my opinion. It’s because I’ve seen how a similar concept can compound an already existing problem before.

There’s a lot of things we could be doing that don’t cost a dime, just require a commitment to winning. Stuff like academic advising & admissions leniency. Expanded academic major tracks that would allow an easier pathway for some student athletes (physical Ed, for example). Really, just stuff that a lot of schools have but we have somehow deemed to be beneath us. We don’t need a billionaire donor to do that kind of stuff. Just a chancellor who gives a damn.

OU also needs to recruit CA well. When they do, they're elite. It's why a lot of OU folks would have liked the Pac-12.

Not sure I totally agree with that. Their bread-n-butter has always been recruiting in Texas. They didn't mingle much with the left coast until after the Holiday Bowl about a decade or more ago.

With Riley it was a national thing. He signed Rattler (AZ) and Williams (DC), both #1 rated hs qb's. They expanded the horizon which included cali.

Their 2022 class has some studs from cali, and in some perverse way I wanna agree with the tin foil hat wearing personalities claiming conspiracy theories now that Riley is headed to u$c.

This happened so suddenly it makes me wonder how long Riley ('s agent) has been talking to u$c.

Not sure I totally agree with that. Their bread-n-butter has always been recruiting in Texas. They didn't mingle much with the left coast until after the Holiday Bowl about a decade or more ago.

With Riley it was a national thing. He signed Rattler (AZ) and Williams (DC), both #1 rated hs qb's. They expanded the horizon which included cali.

Their 2022 class has some studs from cali, and in some perverse way I wanna agree with the tin foil hat wearing personalities claiming conspiracy theories now that Riley is headed to u$c.

This happened so suddenly it makes me wonder how long Riley ('s agent) has been talking to u$c.
Probably been in talks at least since the moment they canned Helton.

There’s a lot of things we could be doing that don’t cost a dime, just require a commitment to winning. Stuff like academic advising & admissions leniency. Expanded academic major tracks that would allow an easier pathway for some student athletes (physical Ed, for example). Really, just stuff that a lot of schools have but we have somehow deemed to be beneath us. We don’t need a billionaire donor to do that kind of stuff. Just a chancellor who gives a damn.
When I went we were top 20 nationally public school. Not so much anymore. By all means lets water down the quality of a CU education further in the name of 6 wins. What should happen is ALL schools admission standards should actually apply (GPA, SAT, etc.). Versus this BS where anyone with a dick that can do something footballish can get into an SEC school. The haves and the have nots are here because of this.

All 12 schools will get roughly the same money. The ones with easy admittance will be ahead of the ones that have standards (CU)
Stop it. You can win and have standards. You do know one of the best academic schools in the country has a football team that has played for the B1G title twice in the last four years right? Explain to me why we can't do that here when Northwestern can-here's the answer:

Two things with that-One, CU thinks its Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, or (insert name of Ivy League school here) academically. It isn't. Stop trying to pretend like it is. Its a really good academic school-but its not at that level. Two, tweets like this one lead me to believe the people in charge up there still have no ****ing idea that winning on the football field can be good for the university.

Last edited:
He was pretty great with coaching searches at CU. No doubt about it.
Well, the obvious difference is that usc is committed to winning and has the resources to back it up. CU has none of those going for it.

Stop it. You can win and have standards. You do know one of the best academic schools in the country has a football team that has played for the B1G title twice in the last four years right? Explain to me why we can't do that here when Northwestern can-here's the answer:

Two things with that-One, CU thinks its Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, or (insert name of Ivy League school here) academically. It isn't. Stop trying to pretend like it is. Its a really good academic school-but its not at that level. Two, tweets like this one lead me to believe the people in charge up there still have no ****ing idea that winning on the football field can be good for the university.

**** this guy!
Exhibit A of why CU Football is where it is.

**** this guy!
Exhibit A of why CU Football is where it is.
If you think CU Football is where it is because of a single professor on campus (or even a group of professors) then you're kidding yourself. I have a few friends who teach at Oregon who can't stand the attention the football team gets and it doesn't seem to implode their program. I'd even be willing to bet that there's a professor or two at Alabama who resent the football team.

If you think CU Football is where it is because of a single professor on campus (or even a group of professors) then you're kidding yourself. I have a few friends who teach at Oregon who can't stand the attention the football team gets and it doesn't seem to implode their program. I'd even be willing to bet that there's a professor or two at Alabama who resent the football team.
I posted that originally because I believe that line of thinking to be the view of the CU administration/majority of the BOR (even if people like Rennison are smart enough to not randomly start talking about curing cancer).

I posted that originally because I believe that line of thinking to be the view of the CU administration/majority of the BOR (even if people like Rennison are smart enough to not randomly start talking about curing cancer).
I don't disagree with your point about the BOR and administration. I do disagree that this tweet is anything meaningful (exhibit A)

I don't disagree with your point about the BOR and administration. I do disagree that this tweet is anything meaningful (exhibit A)
Its not anything meaningful. Having said that, I'm too lazy (and too high) to find and repost Kroll's nonsense about curing cancer-so I thought I'd use that instead because it says the same thing. Sorry!

This.

It's not a or a group of professors.

It's the people above them, starting with the Chancellor and going up to the BoR.

When I went we were top 20 nationally public school. Not so much anymore. By all means lets water down the quality of a CU education further in the name of 6 wins. What should happen is ALL schools admission standards should actually apply (GPA, SAT, etc.). Versus this BS where anyone with a dick that can do something footballish can get into an SEC school. The haves and the have nots are here because of this.
That’s a bull**** excuse. Michigan, Georgia, UCLA, Wisconsin and any other number of solid public universities have found a way to support athletics while maintaining academic integrity. Really, if you think about it, that’s yet another complete fail for DiStefano. He’s allowed not only the decline of the athletic department at CU, but he’s allowed the academic reputation to suffer as well.

That's "2020 Pac 12 coach of the year, Karl Dorrell" Thank you very much.

Also- for the record, I think both @Buffnik and @manhattanbuff are sort of right about this- the sport has been stratified for a few years now and it is only going to get worse. There are ~5-10 programs who can realistically compete year after year for a spot in the playoff (and maybe one fewer depending on who OU hires). Then there's another tier of teams that are top 25 teams and can compete for a spot once every 5-10 years or so. CU could be in that tier if they fix their **** (which I think both are saying). Then there's another tier, where CU currently resides, where it takes a miracle season to be a top 15 team.

I agree with Nik that they'll fix it and get into that second tier, but I also agree with Manhattan that they're never going to be in that top tier again (which was the case from like 1990-1994). What remains to be seen IMO is whether the tiers become as rigid as that top tier, and if there's another tier that emerges to further lock things in place.

Back