What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC is hiring Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma as its new HC

We don’t have boosters who are willing to write eight or nine figure checks. If we did, Mel Tucker would still be the coach and Rick George would be gone.

All of the stuff you are talking about from the past was from before schools made $50 million a year from Football broadcasting alone. It was from a time from before our competitors had multiple billionaire donors willing to single-handedly write a check to give coaches a pay raise and renovate facilities even though they were just renovated ten years prior.

The P12’s TV deal will be fine for a season or two and then will be dwarfed by the SEC’s new deal that’ll include OU and UT. We are playing catch up in a race that requires an amount of money we don’t have.

And the expanded playoff will amplify those problems and the financial inequalities.

We picked the worst possible time for our slump. A time when the money in the sport exploded and we got left behind.

Nah, I'm talking "bowl game is never in doubt" fine.
6-7 wins is doable, but requires a pretty significant commitment. From the P12 this season, the teams who meet this criterion all have better coaching (and recruiting obviously) than Colorado. The only partial head scratcher is Wazzu. But, from their preparation and game day execution, it seems like they’re actually pretty well coached.

Fine = win 4-6 games a year. Not fine = 8+ wins a year.
We're getting 4-6 now.

2016: 10-4
2017: 5-7
2018: 5-7
2019: 5-7
2020: 4-2
2021: 4-8

Start bringing in classes ranked in the 20s & 30s every year - not a high bar for CU - and we're back quickly to being a 6-8 wins in an average year program.

OPEN TO ALL SCHOOLS!!
Katy Perry Reaction GIF

We're getting 4-6 now.

2016: 10-4
2017: 5-7
2018: 5-7
2019: 5-7
2020: 4-2
2021: 4-8

Start bringing in classes ranked in the 20s & 30s every year - not a high bar for CU - and we're back quickly to being a 6-8 wins in an average year program.
It’s cute that you neglected to post the previous 6-10 years. Colorado’s only recent success came from anomaly, not from sustained commitment to success. One season we had a senior laden team with a few NFL level players who had been bad before that. Last season, we were more prepared against COVID. We aren’t a six win team now. This team lucked into two of its wins(1 from scheduling, 1 from ineptitude by the other team). Colorado can get to 20s and 30s recruiting with a commitment to recruiting and a lot more money. You seem to forget that we have neither.

Forget about those players. CU is barely trying for any Cali top 100 players over the last several years.
Yep. If we win our share of recruiting battles for the mid & high 3* recruits in CA & TX who are currently going to non- blue blood Pac & B12 schools, we're a winning program (probably back in the Top 25).

It’s cute that you neglected to post the previous 6-10 years. Colorado’s only recent success came from anomaly, not from sustained commitment to success. One season we had a senior laden team with a few NFL level players who had been bad before that. Last season, we were more prepared against COVID. We aren’t a six win team now. This team lucked into two of its wins(1 from scheduling, 1 from ineptitude by the other team). Colorado can get to 20s and 30s recruiting with a commitment to recruiting and a lot more money. You seem to forget that we have neither.

Although fixing the commitment to recruiting problem is relatively easy as that really ”just” involves changing your mindset and doesn’t require a financial commitment in the first few steps.

I posted the last 6 because it's what we currently are. We're not the scandal self-inflicted-death-penalty program of 2003-2008. Were not the dumpster fire of 2009-2014. We are a 4-6 win program.

Hawkins, Embree, MacIntyre and Tucker all achieved classes with the recruiting ranks I'm talking about.

New media deal coming soon. Also, things tend to change quickly when boosters get down to their last nerve.

Don't forget that CU's been through this before. Scandal, financial woes leading to cutting sports, Fairbanks fiasco. Then came the late 80s. This is a top 25 all-time program for a reason. It's one of the highest growth states in the nation. It will bounce back bigly
Absolute truth.

I know this is a big if but if/when we get an administration that supports success in football (not just lip service) there are boosters who will step up when they believe their checks will result in real winning.

We aren't going to be in the ultra high stratosphere but this program has gone in and out of being a top 10 program multiple times.

Don't forget the hole we were in with Fairbanks, most here aren't old enough to remember losing to Drake two years in a row. It took a will to get out of that hole, and an administration headed by a guy like Gordon Gee.

I posted the last 6 because it's what we currently are. We're not the scandal self-inflicted-death-penalty program of 2003-2008. Were not the dumpster fire of 2009-2014. We are a 4-6 win program.

Hawkins, Embree, MacIntyre and Tucker all achieved classes with the recruiting ranks I'm talking about.
What you continue to ignore:

College Football today is vastly different than it was when CU was once relevant.

Colorado is a max four win team (and have to get lucky for those four wins). We are not sufficiently committed to recruiting 21st century players and we don’t have the deep pocketed donor money other programs have to participate in the arms race. These issues compound over time as other schools spend while we fall further behind.

Although fixing the commitment to recruiting problem is relatively easy as that really ”just” involves changing your mindset and doesn’t require a financial commitment in the first few steps.
Disagree wholeheartedly. As we found out with Tucker, recruiting requires spending the money on recruiting infrastructure and poneying up for assistants who are willing to recruit all of the time. We got lucky because that we got a glimpse. That Tucker has multiplied his salary in only a few seasons demonstrates just how expensive it is to put together a team who’s able to do that job well.

What you continue to ignore:

College Football today is vastly different than it was when CU was once relevant.

Colorado is a max four win team (and have to get lucky for those four wins). We are not sufficiently committed to recruiting 21st century players and we don’t have the deep pocketed donor money other programs have to participate in the arms race. These issues compound over time as other schools spend while we fall further behind.
If you think this year is the program's ceiling, then there's no use talking. Irreconcilable difference of opinion.

Disagree wholeheartedly. As we found out with Tucker, recruiting requires spending the money on recruiting infrastructure and poneying up for assistants who are willing to recruit all of the time. We got lucky because that we got a glimpse. That Tucker has multiplied his salary in only a few seasons demonstrates just how expensive it is to put together a team who’s able to do that job well.

Hence my comment about in the first few steps. i agree when you mean sustaining it at that level, but for the beginning I believe it’d be a step in the right direction if we clearly prioritised recruiting ability with all our personnel decisions. I primarily mean the mindset change and prioritising it with your assistant hires seeing that Dorrell is here for a little while longer.

Take out the 1989-1996 run and we are not close to an all-time top 25 team, I'd surmise.
And certainly not to a 17 year old, and not even a 35 year old. We have been bad for 20 years.

Enter the era of NIL, payment to players, and we are rapidly becoming a have not, contrary to Nik's optimism.

Hence my comment about in the first few steps. i agree when you mean sustaining it at that level, but for the beginning I believe it’d be a step in the right direction if we clearly prioritised recruiting ability with all our personnel decisions. I primarily mean the mindset change and prioritising it with your assistant hires seeing that Dorrell is here for a little while longer.
I think @bigjim posted the tweet today about Harbaugh hiring a bunch of young ACs this year and reaping the benefits.

I think that's the right take: being an effective AC is a young guy's game.

If you want the old experienced hand, you hire them in QC positions.

ACs are about running drills in practice (high energy mandatory), relating to players, and spending a **** ton of time on the road recruiting.

Coordinators are the bridge between the two, but with the rapid evolution of the game, unless you have a coordinator with unusual plasticity in their football philosophy, younger helps.

It's a young man's game.

Hiring old security blanket guys is fine - in QC positions.

Take out the 1989-1996 run and we are not close to an all-time top 25 team, I'd surmise.
And certainly not to a 17 year old, and not even a 35 year old. We have been bad for 20 years.

Enter the era of NIL, payment to players, and we are rapidly becoming a have not, contrary to Nik's optimism.
Disagree with the first paragraph. That run was above our long term average, but not that far above. CU won its conference at least once every decade, and was ranked, even in the top 10, with enough regularity that that 10 year stretch wasn't that far above the historical norm.

Put it this way: going into that stretch we were top 25 all time. That stretch put us around top 15 all time.

The real anomoly is the last 20 years of sucktitude, which has drug us back down.

Your second parapraph though is exactly right. I agree that we're at an inflection point in college football.

Right up there with the establishment of a true pro league in the 40s, and the break up of the TV monopoly/ivy league bailing out on "big time" football in the early 80s.

Unlike those inflections, it looks like CU is making the wrong moves at the wrong time.

I think @bigjim posted the tweet today about Harbaugh hiring a bunch of young ACs this year and reaping the benefits.

I think that's the right take: being an effective AC is a young guy's game.

If you want the old experienced hand, you hire them in QC positions.

ACs are about running drills in practice (high energy mandatory), relating to players, and spending a **** ton of time on the road recruiting.

Coordinators are the bridge between the two, but with the rapid evolution of the game, unless you have a coordinator with unusual plasticity in their football philosophy, younger helps.

It's a young man's game.

Hiring old security blanket guys is fine - in QC positions.

Yep. What I mean is to stack your staff with recruiters and when you hire coaches emphasise recruiting ability and try to get the best recruiter you can get with your budget. Build it up it that way.

Keeping those guys and sustaining it can be very pricey but for now the primary thing we need is a mindset change as that’s what it has to start with and a mindset change and different focus costs nothing.

USC pulled this off because Riley hasn't been happy about the move to the SEC, and he's a smart enough guy to know he's going to be able to win a lot more in LA than he can in Norman after OU joins the league.

This isn't that hard.

Last edited:
Back