What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

96449e69b24c95c99b30ee5ee84c4fe69063fc165e12985f444ac9be90e2d4b3_:original

- VS -

03-Nikki_Received-002.jpg

F. You're comparing apples to oranges - dance team to cheerleaders (although I think a few on the dance team deserve more credit.
CRnplPMVAAQupuB.jpg
I recognize some of the girls in the first photo as cheerleaders from past seasons. They have several cheer squads.

Purple fat kids clothing sizes are worse.

True story - my high school colors were purple and white. We had a team manager for the football team who was overweight, and unfortunately, not very attractive. Every game day she wore this even more unfortunate purple sweater/sweatshirt thing. The end result was that the combo of her being overweight, wearing the sad purple shirt, and her unfortunate facial features created a scarily accurate facsimile of the McDonald's character Grimace.

5117380-grimace.jpg

The moral of the story is, purple makes you look stupid and, in the wrong circumstances, like a character in a plot to make children addicted to fast food.

So with the uptick in possibility of rain. Does a soggy field help or hurt the Mighty Buffs?

True story - my high school colors were purple and white. We had a team manager for the football team who was overweight, and unfortunately, not very attractive. Every game day she wore this even more unfortunate purple sweater/sweatshirt thing. The end result was that the combo of her being overweight, wearing the sad purple shirt, and her unfortunate facial features created a scarily accurate facsimile of the McDonald's character Grimace.

5117380-grimace.jpg

The moral of the story is, purple makes you look stupid and, in the wrong circumstances, like a character in a plot to make children addicted to fast food.
Now we know why you drew this picture as a child:
cAP2H87OxT-6.png

UW's defense is built to stop the power run game. UW's offense has not been a power running team this year.
Interesting. Looking at their O-Line and RB I would have assumed they would run all over whoever they wanted to. Either way I think their run game can chew up our DL.

Interesting. Looking at their O-Line and RB I would have assumed they would run all over whoever they wanted to. Either way I think their run game can chew up our DL.
Klatt was on yesterday talking about the game and said that Washington's OL hasn't been great so far this year, and that UW just isn't the team that everybody thinks they are right now. He had a similar reserve about CU's offense, and obviously still think the Huskies are most likely winning, but said he wouldn't be shocked at all if it's a one score game late in the 4th and CU is able to pull it out.

Klatt was on yesterday talking about the game and said that Washington's OL hasn't been great so far this year, and that UW just isn't the team that everybody thinks they are right now. He had a similar reserve about CU's offense, and obviously still think the Huskies are most likely winning, but said he wouldn't be shocked at all if it's a one score game late in the 4th and CU is able to pull it out.

I would love to be wrong. Just have a feeling that if weather dictates that both teams go 1 dimensional, that it favors the huskies much more than it does the buffs.

After looking at both defense's near top 10 stop rates, I am starting to think we could see another defensive struggle like last year's game. First team to crack and turn the ball over loses. (sooo, just like last year's game)
https://theathletic.com/106372/2017/09/20/stop-rate-minnesota-football-pj-fleck/
ankTeamStop ratePts/Drive
1Michigan State95.7%0.13
2Vanderbilt94.4%0.36
3Penn State91.9%0.38
4 (tie)Auburn89.2%0.65
4 (tie)Minnesota89.2%0.65
6Colorado88.1%0.64
7Wake Forest87.8%0.66
8Mississippi State87.2%0.67
9Michigan84.6%0.77
10Rutgers83.8%0.81
11Duke83.7%1.02
12 (tie)Clemson83.3%0.83
12 (tie)Washington83.3%0.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rutgers' DL was able to get a surprising amount of penetration vs. UW's OL, but that was the first game of the year.

After looking at both defense's near top 10 stop rates, I am starting to think we could see another defensive struggle like last year's game. First team to crack and turn the ball over loses. (sooo, just like last year's game)
https://theathletic.com/106372/2017/09/20/stop-rate-minnesota-football-pj-fleck/
ankTeamStop ratePts/Drive
1Michigan State95.7%0.13
2Vanderbilt94.4%0.36
3Penn State91.9%0.38
4 (tie)Auburn89.2%0.65
4 (tie)Minnesota89.2%0.65
6Colorado88.1%0.64
7Wake Forest87.8%0.66
8Mississippi State87.2%0.67
9Michigan84.6%0.77
10Rutgers83.8%0.81
11Duke83.7%1.02
12 (tie)Clemson83.3%0.83
12 (tie)Washington83.3%0.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CU ranks 112th in finishing drives, while UW's defense ranks 13th (per JR's article in the weekly game thread). Also in that preview, they mentioned that UW's defense has been pretty bend but don't break so far. That trend can't continue for CU to have a chance. If they can move the ball on UW, they need to finish.

CU ranks 112th in finishing drives, while UW's defense ranks 13th (per JR's article in the weekly game thread). Also in that preview, they mentioned that UW's defense has been pretty bend but don't break so far. That trend can't continue for CU to have a chance. If they can move the ball on UW, they need to finish.
We were 42 in finishing drives last year. I'm hoping this is just a small sample size problem.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-colorado-advanced-statistical-profile

We were 42 in finishing drives last year. I'm hoping this is just a small sample size problem.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-colorado-advanced-statistical-profile
I bet a huge reason for being 42nd last year was the usage a Sefo running the ball. Honestly, for as much as people despised it, it was arguably the most consistently successful play they had, and it was almost never stopped around the goal line or 1st down marker. They need to start using Montez as a running threat.

To keep it simple, all starts up front on both sides. CU is gonna have to stick with the run even if it's limited. Otherwise it could get ugly.

I bet a huge reason for being 42nd last year was the usage a Sefo running the ball. Honestly, for as much as people despised it, it was arguably the most consistently successful play they had, and it was almost never stopped around the goal line or 1st down marker. They need to start using Montez as a running threat.
They did. Believe it didn't work well against CSU. He's just not good at short yardage like Sefo was. Montez likes to hit, but he doesn't have a good head for sneaking through traffic and runs too tall.

They did. Believe it didn't work well against CSU. He's just not good at short yardage like Sefo was. Montez likes to hit, but he doesn't have a good head for sneaking through traffic and runs too tall.
Montez had 12 rushing attempts against CSU and 5 of those were sacks. Unfortunately, the box score or play-by-play doesn't specifically say if the other 7 runs were scrambles, read options, power runs, etc. but I'm confident in my memory of the game that they did not do much in the way of emphasizing him in the run game.

FYI - He had 5 rushing attempts against TSU and 2 were sacks. They didn't really start emphasizing him in the run game until 2nd half against UNC.

Back