What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

I did not read all 47 pages of this thread... However, why is there such a reactionary call for heads? Of course CU fans want to see victories!!! Is it realistic to beat top 10 teams? Very few programs do and this program is still climbing. If Lindsay doesn't bobble the ball that got picked or the punt does not get blocked, momentum stays with CU and the outcome could have been completely different. The comments though, zero tolerance for losing to anyone is insane. This program lost 8 defensive starters, a very good DB coach, the D.C., a four year starter at QB and most of those players/coaches were leaders. This offense will take some time to evolve. I would like to see it happen before game 1, but that is not realistic. A couple of subtle changes and this game has a different outcome. This program is still on the rise, even if they do not replicate last years achievements.

My 2 cents

1. We seemed more physical than last years team.

2. Washington wore us down as we have little depth on either line whereas half or more of UWs 2nd stringers could start right now at CU.

3. The D played well and the O moved the ball well on the ground.

4. Our passing game is a hot mess. 3INTs, no separation, dropped passes, missed wide open WRs.

5. Special teams are good IMO but not great. B-. The interference was dumb and the block was being outmanned (Mac said they didn't do what they should've to protect the punter). That Aussie kicker rules :). Kelley is playing well and we didn't give up a big return by Pettis.

6. I felt this team lacked focus or desire in the first 3 games, but they brought it and I feel our starting 22 are as good as anyone in the PAC. Depth is the problem.

7. Mac is doing fine. It's notoriously difficult to get P5 DL...they tend to go to the elite schools. OL and DL will improve once we replace the coaches.

Not much changed my mind about this team except I think we are more physical than I initially thought. I still think 8-4 is doable.

Biggest disappointment is the team seemed to give up after the pick 6. Yes, it was a big momentum swing but it was in the 3rd QTR, still time to come back. UW never passed the ball in the 4th quarter but scored 2 TDs and the Buffs were letting Gaston get over 10 yards before they touched him, the Buffs were not very physical in the 4th quarter. I do not think the Buffs are on the same level as UW but they are going to be in trouble in they do not fight back when faced with adversity. They have not really been on the road yet and there will be bad times on the road.

The Buffs have played 3 opponents they had more talent than and 1 that was more talented. We will find out more about this team when they play teams they are evenly matched with.

I'm somewhat encouraged. I think we will have learned a lot from this game and wil be better for it. The Washington game had some similarities to Michigan last year. I think we used that game to sort of propeller us to be better. Hopefully the Washington game will have the same effect.

I'm somewhat encouraged. I think we will have learned a lot from this game and wil be better for it. The Washington game had some similarities to Michigan last year. I think we used that game to sort of propeller us to be better. Hopefully the Washington game will have the same effect.

I think that comparison is a stretch. Michigan was in a tougher environment and injuries played a big role in Michigan pulling away.

It also ignores the larger context of last year's team demolishing two weaker opponents going into that game.

Unit vs unit

CU OL vs UDub DL - UDub
CU RB vs UDub LB - Even
CU WR vs UDub DB - CU

UDub OL vs CU DL - UDub
UDub RB vs CU LB - Even
UDub WR vs CU DB - Even

CU QB vs UDub QB - UDub

CU ST vs UDub ST - UDub

MM vs Pete - Pete

CU - home field, revenge
UDub - CFP push

This should be framed as homer post of the year

I was really impressed with the playcalling by Washington on offense. They had a four quarter game plan and they executed it very well. They did a lot of stretch runs and really just pushed a lot of runs to the outside. This really caused our d-line to wear down due to having to extend the edge to the sideline and also provide backside pursuit. When you have our d-line running 20 yards to stop a 3 yard gain, it get pretty effective and allowed their o-line to get a huge push in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure what BL saw in the defense but it looks like they did quite a bit of cover 1 (until the pick 6 where they changed cover 2) and we never exploit that with any deeper routes to the center of the field, we just continually kept working the sideline routes.

Also **** that weather. We haven't had rain for 2 months and we have to tailgate and watch that game in that?

So much butthurt in this thread. We lost to a better team. That happens a lot. It'll probably happen again when we play USC. Possibly again this week against UCLA. I didn't expect to go through the season undefeated. I was discouraged by Montez' play. He made some boneheaded mistakes that directly impacted the game. Well, that happens. Let's see how the team responds. I still like our chances at an 8 or 9-win season. Nothing happened against UW to change that. If Montez learns from his mistakes, we will have a decent year. If he doesn't, we might see Noyer before the year is done.

I suppose I should be glad that we are all pissed off after losing to the #7 ranked team in the country in a game we could have won had we not killed ourselves. Passionate fans are important. They're sometimes a real pain in the ass, too.

To Sackman's point, we are closer in talent to the #7 team in the country than the number #107 team. Still think we can be a top 25 team this year.

giphy2.gif

Pretty much summarizes the game and this thread.

I was really impressed with the playcalling by Washington on offense. They had a four quarter game plan and they executed it very well. They did a lot of stretch runs and really just pushed a lot of runs to the outside. This really caused our d-line to wear down due to having to extend the edge to the sideline and also provide backside pursuit. When you have our d-line running 20 yards to stop a 3 yard gain, it get pretty effective and allowed their o-line to get a huge push in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure what BL saw in the defense but it looks like they did quite a bit of cover 1 (until the pick 6 where they changed cover 2) and we never exploit that with any deeper routes to the center of the field, we just continually kept working the sideline routes.

Also **** that weather. We haven't had rain for 2 months and we have to tailgate and watch that game in that?
this ^^ our play calling does not help themselves. I thought we were going to start using the altitude and fast paced O / what happened to that? I thought we would be the team tiring the D out sideline to sideline, then start attacking the middle?

I was discouraged by Montez' play. .... we might see Noyer before the year is done.
21/27, 171 yards, 6.33ypa and you think Noyer may be starting by year's end? Wow. I know, I know, 3 INT's. INT #1 was all on Lindsay, Montez hit him in the hands and he ended up tipping it right to the DB. INT #2 was not a bad decision. 1:00 left and the play, I think was broken. Montez thought he could make something happen. It did no harm to CU, it was as good as a punt. CU was on a 8 play 37 yard drive, so I guess you could say he ruined a scoring opportunity, but CU was still at least 10 yards outside of FG range. INT #3 was all on Montez. Bad mistake caused by a great defensive call and execution. He will learn from that.

The point is, Montez has the physical tools to be great. Doesn't mean he will be, but he has an arm we haven't seen behind center since, well, Stewart. Koy, Moschetti, and others were very good QB's, but Montez has a cannon. Noyer looked very good, but he doesn't have the tools Montez has.

I cannot imagine benching a guy who completed 77% of his passes. We finally have a qb who has the arm to be a game changer and people want to change? Unreal. I suffered watching the last several QB's lob the ball around (except Liufau, he had a live arm, but had field recognition issues and accuracy was frequently off) now I am practically giddy about a QB who can wing it.

Noyer won't be starting unless Montez gets hurt.

21/27, 171 yards, 6.33ypa and you think Noyer may be starting by year's end? Wow. I know, I know, 3 INT's. INT #1 was all on Lindsay, Montez hit him in the hands and he ended up tipping it right to the DB. INT #2 was not a bad decision. 1:00 left and the play, I think was broken. Montez thought he could make something happen. It did no harm to CU, it was as good as a punt. CU was on a 8 play 37 yard drive, so I guess you could say he ruined a scoring opportunity, but CU was still at least 10 yards outside of FG range. INT #3 was all on Montez. Bad mistake caused by a great defensive call and execution. He will learn from that.

The point is, Montez has the physical tools to be great. Doesn't mean he will be, but he has an arm we haven't seen behind center since, well, Stewart. Koy, Moschetti, and others were very good QB's, but Montez has a cannon. Noyer looked very good, but he doesn't have the tools Montez has.

I cannot imagine benching a guy who completed 77% of his passes. We finally have a qb who has the arm to be a game changer and people want to change? Unreal. I suffered watching the last several QB's lob the ball around (except Liufau, he had a live arm, but had field recognition issues and accuracy was frequently off) now I am practically giddy about a QB who can wing it.

Montez made some idiotic plays, too. Sliding a full yard before the first down marker?

I'm not advocating a change. I'm saying if Montez doesn't get his sh!t together, we might see a change. I agree he has all the physical tools and that's something we haven't had here for a long time. I'm encouraged by what he can do. I'm discouraged by what he actually has done so far this year. Sandlot football works for a play here or there, but it's no way to run an offense.

Montez made some idiotic plays, too. Sliding a full yard before the first down marker?

I'm not advocating a change. I'm saying if Montez doesn't get his sh!t together, we might see a change. I agree he has all the physical tools and that's something we haven't had here for a long time. I'm encouraged by what he can do. I'm discouraged by what he actually has done so far this year. Sandlot football works for a play here or there, but it's no way to run an offense.
I'll give you that. The slide was pretty bad. He has a lot to work on. Field awareness and refining the knack for when to go off script, and when not to.

Part of the reason CU is able to run the ball is that DC's cannot just load up on the run like they could in the days of Cody. Montez has the arm to burn you deep. I love that.

My coach talk to Montez,

"Stop talking **** and start thinking about the next play. Know exactly where you have to get to. Think through your progression. The only thing that is going to keep you from being a top 25 QB is the muscle between your ears. Calm down and use it!" Repeat twice a day every day.

Last edited:
I'm assuming Montez thought he had the 1st down pretty easily, as it was 3rd and 2(?). Even if that was the case, it's still on him for lacking field awareness, but I definitely don't think it he purposely slid early out of self-preservation or anything. Just part of the growing pains, that maybe we all underestimated, that come with an inexperienced QB.

Last edited:

Montez has talent but he is not a guy who can put the offense on his back and make things happen (yet). He tends to get more mistake prone when he tries to do more.

And when he was a sophomore, Sefo completely botched the sequence at the end of the 1st half against UCLA, in a game that the Bruins were desperately trying to give us. I think he learned from that experience and he went on to be a great leader for the offense in subsequent seasons. I'm hopeful that Montez will do the same. It's not a coincidence that our best year in a decade came with a Senior QB, who was physically limited, but was able to be successful in other ways (audibles, etc) based on his experience. We'll see if Montez can learn from these mistakes or not, but I'm encouraged at the prospect of that experience coupled with his unique athletic ability.

Montez is not our problem on offense.
Couldn't agree more for a number of reasons, first and foremost his skill sets are not Sefo's and we're still calling the same plays as if Sefo is the QB. 2nd the coaches have jacked his head up so much "stay in the pocket" what pocket? 5 sacks that had he not been jacked with so much he probably would've avoided 2-3. It's the coach's job to build around him they recruited him and knew what they were getting from the beginning and they've had 2 yrs to do it in. If the ship doesn't get righted soon I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers. You don't chew a kid's ass on national television like MM did when he got back to the sideline after throwing the ball away, just stupid plus the receiver quit on the play.

Last edited:
Montez has talent but he is not a guy who can put the offense on his back and make things happen (yet). He tends to get more mistake prone when he tries to do more.
I believe he can be a guy who can put the team on his back. I believe he can be an NFL QB. I think his deficiencies right now are mental. Hence my speech. He has all the tools. The next step is leadership and focus, which are next level stuff. I don't see this as an insult. It's a compliment that I'm not focused on athletic or technique shortcomings.

man, rewatched a little of this one. Lots of unforced errors in the early parts of this game. Loved our game plan early. Missing wide open receivers, going down too soon, 5th year seniors getting blown up on passing plays, ugh. What has happened to Kough? That special teams play was a coaching error. They got through on the first punt, then went home on it the 2d time.

Man, we stopped ourselves every time but once in the first half.

Couldn't agree more for a number of reasons, first and foremost his skill sets are not Sefo's and we're still calling the same plays as if Sefo is the QB. 2nd the coaches have jacked his head up so much "stay in the pocket" what pocket? 5 sacks that had he not been jacked with so much he probably would've avoided 2-3. It's the coach's job to build around him they recruited him and knew what they were getting from the beginning and they've had 2 yrs to do it in. If the ship doesn't get righted soon I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers. You don't chew a kid's ass on national television like MM did when he got back to the sideline after throwing the ball away, just stupid plus the receiver quit on the play.

:rolleyes:

man, rewatched a little of this one. Lots of unforced errors in the early parts of this game. Loved our game plan early. Missing wide open receivers, going down too soon, 5th year seniors getting blown up on passing plays, ugh. What has happened to Kough? That special teams play was a coaching error. They got through on the first punt, then went home on it the 2d time.

Man, we stopped ourselves every time but once in the first half.
Sometimes stuff like that happens in football games. It even happens in the NFL. The trick is to learn from it and play your ass off the next game. If they dwell on it, UW beats us twice.

We use to say the same things about Detmer, his mental make up made him unpredictable at times and that was his edge and we lived and died by it. Difference being Koy wasn't as physically gifted as Montez is yet there is a similar mentality that being make something out of nothing. Sandlot football did win a Heisman a few years ago as we all know but there has to be an element of know when to say when.

Back