What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

Remember that a lot of the times, muddy and/or slick conditions actually favor the passing game, because WRs know where they're going to cut and DBs don't.

The question is getting the ball out on time and accurately.

Generally wet fields neutralize speed rushers getting after the passer, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually came down to Browning and Montez being able to throw accurately in the rain. If one of them can and the other can't, that's a decided advantage to that team.

Last edited:
Montez had 12 rushing attempts against CSU and 5 of those were sacks. Unfortunately, the box score or play-by-play doesn't specifically say if the other 7 runs were scrambles, read options, power runs, etc. but I'm confident in my memory of the game that they did not do much in the way of emphasizing him in the run game.

FYI - He had 5 rushing attempts against TSU and 2 were sacks. They didn't really start emphasizing him in the run game until 2nd half against UNC.
Nice stats. Not that relevant to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Montez is not a good short yardage runner based on what I've seen from him this year. He's decent in the open field, but doesn't have a feel for short yardage situations and has not been good at those when given the opportunity. Sefo was the opposite.

Nice stats. Not that relevant to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Montez is not a good short yardage runner based on what I've seen from him this year. He's decent in the open field, but doesn't have a feel for short yardage situations and has not been good at those when given the opportunity. Sefo was the opposite.
Pretty relevant actually. The stats don't really support your statement that they tried emphasizing Montez in the run game during the CSU game, but your condescension is appreciated, per usual.

I believe it was the first drive against UNC, on third down, Montez scrambled (did a really good job), then had a clear path to a first down. He tried to then move to the sideline and ended up being short a yard or two. If he would have kept going forward on the same path, he would have gotten a first down, from what I remember watching. Obviously, different down on the field, but from the tv it seemed he had the first down if he would of tucked and kept running forward.

I'm taking the middle ground. We haven't seen Montez used in short yardage the way Sefo was last year. I believe the short yardage plays we've seen have featured Phil and Beau for the most part, although I seem to recall Adkins once, too. Maybe we will see Frazier now as a blocker now, too.

Having said that, I'm fairly confident in saying Montez would not be as efficient as Sefo in the run game. He does run much taller than Sefo did, and he seems to go down much more easily than Sefo when he is hit (not that that's always a bad thing). Sefo used to bull guys over in short yardage, I don't see Montez doing that.

Pretty relevant actually. The stats don't really support your statement that they tried emphasizing Montez in the run game during the CSU game, but your condescension is appreciated, per usual.
I'm a stat lover, but your stats don't address my point that he's not as good at sefo at this based on when he's been given the opportunity. Feel free to watch the games, coach

Probably hurts.

UW is built for the power run game. CU is not.
I love the pass game when the field is slick. WRs know where they are going. DBs do not. As long as you've got a QB with big hands who can spin it in the weather, it's a huge advantage.

I love the pass game when the field is slick. WRs know where they are going. DBs do not. As long as you've got a QB with big hands who can spin it in the weather, it's a huge advantage.

As long as their is not much wind, then this is advantage Montez right?

I'm a stat lover, but your stats don't address my point that he's not as good at sefo at this based on when he's been given the opportunity. Feel free to watch the games, coach

I'd have to agree with your assessment. Sure, small sample size but sefo had better control of the offense and was more successful running the ball.

Sounds like Montez needs to learn to run behind his pads with some body lean. At his size, he should pick up yards that way.​

Does anybody know how early you can get up to the rooftop deck? The weather forecast may make that the ideal place to pregame at least for a bit.

Montez just needs to learn how to dive. He can pick up those crucial few extra yards and protect himself. I cringe when I watch what he currently does a lot of the time, which is start to slow himself down almost to a stop in anticipation of contact while standing almost completely upright and just wait to get destroyed by the tackler.

He's going to get seriously hurt doing that against PAC 12 defenses

I bet a huge reason for being 42nd last year was the usage a Sefo running the ball. Honestly, for as much as people despised it, it was arguably the most consistently successful play they had, and it was almost never stopped around the goal line or 1st down marker. They need to start using Montez as a running threat.
I'm wondering if this is the "secret" that we've been hiding until this week.

Montez just needs to learn how to dive. He can pick up those crucial few extra yards and protect himself. I cringe when I watch what he currently does a lot of the time, which is start to slow himself down almost to a stop in anticipation of contact while standing almost completely upright and just wait to get destroyed by the tackler.

He's going to get seriously hurt doing that against PAC 12 defenses
Not to split hairs, but "dive" or "slide"?

I have to believe they are going to start more designed runs for Montez. There is no reason to risk him getting hurt against the cupcake schedule we had. I don't think it will be as much as Sefo because we have more weapons this year and they don't want to get Montez hurt (Mac had stressed how much they are working on getting him to slide)

I also think running Montez will actually help his passing game. I believe it was the Oregon game last year Montez said after the game how getting him running loosened him up and got him into the flow of the game.

I know you're being sarcastic here, but yes, they haven't shown much propensity to use him, outside of the 2nd half against UNC. That's part of what I expect to see tomorrow night
I was actually only half being sarcastic. I don’t know where I stand on the “we’ve been holding back the playbook in prep for this game” camp, but I did State in some other thread what you said above - when wanted to run, it was awesome and we haven’t done much of that this year, ergo, I wasn’t sure if they were trying to avoid having to use it.
But that there Ian some sort of Area 51 conspiracy theory on hiding our “awesome” plays seems a little far fetched.

New game thoughts and predictions after ruminating on this game all week:
1) This will be a defensive struggle in the first half until mistakes or bad bounces break it open for one team or another;
2) UW got lucky in a big way last year. yes, I said it. Sefo going down hurt was real bad, and then him going back in at 25% effectiveness and ending the game with two more heart then head picks was even worse. Also, there was one of the flukiest touchdown "tosses" i've ever seen in that game.
3) Folsom Magic.
4) Peterson is still a witch.
I'm excited, even if I will be a very wet version of excited come saturday evening.

(lobbed that one)

Back