What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Hires Chris Petersen

I'm surprised so many people seem to think that Peterson will fail at UW and that Boise will also come back to earth. Either he can coach or he can't. If he can UW should do fine - maybe not perpetual 10 win seasons, but he'll win a lot of games. When Hawk turned out to be a failure, many people here blamed the fact that Peterson was really the brains behind the operation. I think he's a very good hire for UW.
I don't think Boise is going to be irrelevant but I don't think they'll necessarily be a double digit game winner per year like you mentioned.

I'm not sure if Petersen was the real brains there, but they didn't lose a step with him. I do find it funny all the revisionist talk about how Bohn should've hired him. How many mid-major coordinators get hired to be BCS head coaches?

Seen it mentioned on other boards, but the upgrades in coaches at PAC-12 schools in the last few years is ridiculous.

Has to be the best conference of coaches in the nation, doesn't it?

I can see him wanting to go back...Bruce Feldman thinks Koetter would be considered if he was interested in returning
Joking aside, I can't see Hawkins going back to Boise. The CFL experiment I think hurt him here. In general, I don't think coaches should go back to their old places. Sometimes it works well like Mike Riley, but much of the time you get a situation like Dennis Erickson, where they are on the next train out of town once a better opportunity opens.

I'm surprised so many people seem to think that Peterson will fail at UW and that Boise will also come back to earth. Either he can coach or he can't. If he can UW should do fine - maybe not perpetual 10 win seasons, but he'll win a lot of games. When Hawk turned out to be a failure, many people here blamed the fact that Peterson was really the brains behind the operation. I think he's a very good hire for UW.

IMHO, the real brains behind the Boise State rise was AD Gene Bleymaier, who was fired in 2011 after NCAA hit BSU with the lack of institutional control charge. The program has been slipping ever since he left. The same thing happened to CU when AD Bill Marolt left.

Maybe not as much as you, but I don't think it's USC. The administration certainly isn't going to have USC-like expectations. I don't think it's a coincidence he turned down overtures from USC, but want UW. Every fanbase is somewhat fickle and expects coaches to deliver. Not too long ago, winning 7-8 per year at Colorado and the Big 12 North wasn't good enough for Colorado, I think we'd be happy to go to a bowl now. Once we're there, we would expect more however.
I lived in Seattle for a while under DJ's run. They can be as demanding as anybody in the P12 IMO.

I lived in Seattle for a while under DJ's run. They can be as demanding as anybody in the P12 IMO.

Yeah, just reading their scout board over the last couple of years, those glory years aren't too long ago in their minds and most feel they deserve to be back at that level soon.

You are confusing the order of events.

I don't think there is all that much difference from conf to conf, top to bottom, when you average it out over a rolling three of four year period. Teams within the conferences rise and fall with the years, but the net is probably pretty stable over a rolling three or four years.

I don't think there is all that much difference from conf to conf, top to bottom, when you average it out over a rolling three of four year period. Teams within the conferences rise and fall with the years, but the net is probably pretty stable over a rolling three or four years.

There is a difference. Stark differences usually.

Honestly couldn't tell you.

Based on this year's returns, it would have to be Dykes, but that's a bit unfair.
I reall y think we should start calling him the "Alternative Head Coach", calling him Dykes is too confusing.

So who is the worst coach in the Pac12?

I'm thinking it may turn out to be Helfrich. He'll win a lot if games due to having unlimited funds and lots of talent, but he seems like a guy who is going to do less with more over time.

I'm thinking it may turn out to be Helfrich. He'll win a lot if games due to having unlimited funds and lots of talent, but he seems like a guy who is going to do less with more over time.

That line of thinking is faulty. Any team with resources is a failure unless they go undefeated and win a national championship? Plus, lots of teams have higher recruiting rankings. Oregon has loads of cash, but they have to pull from all over the country. Not that easy to do vs. other schools pulling from the back yard.

Back