What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Hires Chris Petersen

I don't think Kiffin was such a WTF hire when he was hired. He turned into one. Embree was praised in many corners. Petersen isn't a slam dunk, but I think it was solid.

I don't agree coaching hires are crapshoots. A good AD can find a good coach.

When they were initially hired as head coaches, I'm not sure there was much of a difference in resumes for these two pools of coaches:

Pool 1
Chip Kelly
Jimbo Fisher
Bob Stoops
Kevin Sumlin
Pat Fitzgerald
Charlie Strong

Pool 2:
Ron Zook
Mike Dubose
Randy Shannon
Frank Solich
Bob Davie
John Blake

The upper tier programs have better odds because they have the resources to poach proven coaches in the prime of their careers AND they always have talented players on their rosters. Even Alabama with nearly unlimited resources struck out on several coaches following the Gene Stallings era (who got old, but was a good coach).

Let's compare two coaches. Both of these coaches were at the same school, even on the same staff once upon a time. Both were ultimately head coaches at the school.

Coach A -
1st year - 8-4
2nd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
3rd year - 13-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 11-1 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 9-4 (1 loss in conference play)

Coach B
1st year - 13-0 (undefeated in conference play)
2nd year - 10-3 (1 loss in conference play)
3rd year - 12-1 (undefeated in conference play)
4th year - 14-0 (undefeated in conference play)
5th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
6th year - 12-1 (1 loss in conference play)
7th year - 12-2 (1 loss in conference play)
8th year - 8-4

Coach A had 3 years undefeated in conference play. Coach B had 3 years undefeated in conference play.

One of these coaches is Dan Hawkins.

Never said undefeated in conference Play. I said undefeated for the whole season - that is a big difference.

Never said undefeated in conference Play. I said undefeated for the whole season - that is a big difference.

My apologies. Your comment was, "I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition..."

I interpreted that to mean that you were referring to conference play.

Regardless - I think Peterson has just as much potential for success, and also just as much potential for failure, as Hawkins. It's a big step up to go from Boise State, where he really had very few true rivals, to the Pac-12, where he will play teams with equal talent/coaching on a weekly basis.

When they were initially hired as head coaches, I'm not sure there was much of a difference in resumes for these two pools of coaches:

Pool 1
Chip Kelly
Jimbo Fisher
Bob Stoops
Kevin Sumlin
Pat Fitzgerald
Charlie Strong

Pool 2:
Ron Zook
Mike Dubose
Randy Shannon
Frank Solich
Bob Davie
John Blake

The upper tier programs have better odds because they have the resources to poach proven coaches in the prime of their careers AND they always have talented players on their rosters. Even Alabama with nearly unlimited resources struck out on several coaches following the Gene Stallings era (who got old, but was a good coach).

I think Solich is a solid coach, his sin was he was not Tom Osborne. You can add OU as a program that went through a couple of coaches after Switzer even though they have a great AD.

My apologies. Your comment was, "I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition..."

I interpreted that to mean that you were referring to conference play.

Regardless - I think Peterson has just as much potential for success, and also just as much potential for failure, as Hawkins. It's a big step up to go from Boise State, where he really had very few true rivals, to the Pac-12, where he will play teams with equal talent/coaching on a weekly basis.

I think you are correct about that. I want to see if he is able to get the same level of execution at UW as he did at BSU. That is one of Saban's strengths is getting his team ready almost every week which is why it is so difficult to go undefeated.

I think most viewed Kiffin as a placeholder while sanctions hit them. No one was really scared of his gateway coaching.

He had a nice pedigree and probably Pete Carolls blessing. USC was a machine then. Like other machines that came before it hiring the assistants away from a winner often works. The coaching trees of jimmy Johnson, woody Hayes Bo schembechler, bill parcels all produced other coaches with varying degrees of success. Even some of McCartneys guys went on to do good things. Kiffin, given his shot twice, didnt work out.

I don't think Kiffin was such a WTF hire when he was hired. He turned into one. Embree was praised in many corners. Petersen isn't a slam dunk, but I think it was solid.

I don't agree coaching hires are crapshoots. A good AD can find a good coach.

:wtf:

Show me the articles at the time panning the hire and fan reactions from this site and others don't count.

#1 Bleacher Report - Grade C- (lowest of all the 2011 hires they reviewed)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...011-grading-all-the-new-coaching-hires/page/4

Colorado (Jon Embree, Redskins tight end coach): DCash-strapped CU, rejected by the likes of Mike Bellotti, decided to reconnect with its past by bringing in former star and assistant Embree, overlooking the fact he's never been even a college offensive coordinator. Nor has his new offensive coordinator, former Buffs star Eric Bienemy. Another CU great, new defensive line coach Kanavis McGhee, most recently coached at Gannon (Pa.) University. Good luck with that.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...hing-football-grades/index.html#ixzz2nBuwzJZJ

#3 Grade D+ (tied for lowest of all 2011 hires reviewed)
http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/94478-Washington-Hires-Chris-Petersen/page13

#4 Yahoo Sports (Rivals) Grade C (2nd lowest grade of all 2011 hires reviewed)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...rading-the-long-in-coming-co?urn=ncaaf-323618

I could link at least 20 more articles if you want. Simply no one thought Embree was a good hire. In reality, most on this site were kind and had a nervous, but wait & see approach.

#1 Bleacher Report - Grade C- (lowest of all the 2011 hires they reviewed)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...011-grading-all-the-new-coaching-hires/page/4

#3 Grade D+ (tied for lowest of all 2011 hires reviewed)
http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/94478-Washington-Hires-Chris-Petersen/page13

#4 Yahoo Sports (Rivals) Grade C (2nd lowest grade of all 2011 hires reviewed)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...rading-the-long-in-coming-co?urn=ncaaf-323618

I could link at least 20 more articles if you want. Simply no one thought Embree was a good hire. In reality, most on this site were kind and had a nervous, but wait & see approach.
Only Yahoo is really relevant here, but they still gave it a C even if it was "inflation."

Have to agree with Cree here, I wanted Embo to do well, but deep down inside I had my reservations about a career position coach. Too bad it did not work out, but I don't recall any publication saying it was a good hire.

Only Yahoo is really relevant here, but they still gave it a C even if it was "inflation."

Do a google search, "grading the 2011 coaching hires". I'm too lazy to link 50 articles. Water under the bridge at this point though.

By the way, MacIntyre got pretty much universal A's and B's. The talking heads loved his hiring by CU.

Do a google search, "grading the 2011 coaching hires". I'm too lazy to link 50 articles. Water under the bridge at this point though.

By the way, MacIntyre got pretty much universal A's and B's. The talking heads loved his hiring by CU.
And if he doesn't work out, I'm sure we'll hear the whole "deep down, I knew it wouldn't work but I want it too" mantra.

Hilarious that the guy calling it a safe hire was the guy who single-handedly put together that awesome campaign to get the AD to fire him! Sanity returned.

Hawk, Embree, and HCMM all got praised by the fanbase when they were hired and criticized (in the first two cases) when they were fired. Like I said, if HCMM doesn't end up working out and the jury is very much out on him at 4-8, I'm sure we'll hear how he was a "bad choice." Always easy to look back on these things.

Hawk, Embree, and HCMM all got praised by the fanbase when they were hired and criticized (in the first two cases) when they were fired. Like I said, if HCMM doesn't end up working out and the jury is very much out on him at 4-8, I'm sure we'll hear how he was a "bad choice." Always easy to look back on these things.
I never praised the Embree hire. It sucked

What were the positives at the end of the Hawkins era that would have justified keeping him?

What were the positives at the end of the Embree era that would have justified keeping him?

There were almost none in both cases. We had no choice but to move on.

Wether MacIntyre is the right choice is hard to say. Only time will tell. I certainly feel better about him at the end of season 1 than I did about Embree's season 1.

What were the positives at the end of the Hawkins era that would have justified keeping him?

What were the positives at the end of the Embree era that would have justified keeping him?

There were almost none in both cases. We had no choice but to move on.

Wether MacIntyre is the right choice is hard to say. Only time will tell. I certainly feel better about him at the end of season 1 than I did about Embree's season 1.
Who doesn't?

Back