What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington State @ CU 11/19 @ 1:30 PM on Fox Official PREGAME Thread

I'm in the middle of coug land. Please win this game, these people are annoying and if it wasn't for the husky and duck fans, it would be even worse.

These final 3 games are against some of the few Pac teams we actually lead the overall series against. Doesn't mean **** for how these games play out of course, but still interesting. We now lead Arizona 14-5, we lead Wazzu 5-4, and we lead Utah 31-28-3. We lead no one else, if I'm not mistaken. Next to fall will be Oregon State (we trail 4-5).

Oh, and it's official, we're being discussed in the playoff race http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-football-playoff-chase-upset-filled-week-11
Obviously, let's just focus on winning our division and then the P12CG and see what happens. To even be in this discussion in November is remarkable.

My take as WSU guy on this board (been a while fella's, sup?). WSU is mainly more dangerous this year for two reasons,

1. They finally run the ball a bit. Williams, Wicks, and Morrow are all good back, with Williams being the more likely to make a dynamic play, and Wicks being the bulldozer. Morrow excels at catch and run. The way to beat WSU has been to get pressure with 3 and drop 8. The run threat has hurt teams that have done that this year.

2. We actually play D on the Palouse now! While statistically we are a middling D, that is up from being the worst in the conference. We turn teams over now, and Grinch (one of the better DC names IMHO) has them playing fast. We can be had, but for the most part they keep big plays in front of them and do a good job stripping the ball.

Feel free to ask questions, and I will attempt to answer. For the most part Coug fans are good folks that have felt the same pain the Buffs have....we can relate better than most. Great to see CU on the up tick. Looking forward to this game!

I know everyone wants us to play conservative - but I don't think so. Try and gas the WSU defense at altitude, and trust that your top Pac-12 defense can hold out early so that the Buffs can build a lead.

My take as WSU guy on this board (been a while fella's, sup?). WSU is mainly more dangerous this year for two reasons,

1. They finally run the ball a bit. Williams, Wicks, and Morrow are all good back, with Williams being the more likely to make a dynamic play, and Wicks being the bulldozer. Morrow excels at catch and run. The way to beat WSU has been to get pressure with 3 and drop 8. The run threat has hurt teams that have done that this year.

2. We actually play D on the Palouse now! While statistically we are a middling D, that is up from being the worst in the conference. We turn teams over now, and Grinch (one of the better DC names IMHO) has them playing fast. We can be had, but for the most part they keep big plays in front of them and do a good job stripping the ball.

Feel free to ask questions, and I will attempt to answer. For the most part Coug fans are good folks that have felt the same pain the Buffs have....we can relate better than most. Great to see CU on the up tick. Looking forward to this game!

You got stanford with their safety pretty injured. What is the best secondary that you have faced?

You got stanford with their safety pretty injured. What is the best secondary that you have faced?

Not sure actually. OSU was probably the higher rated, but like Cal teams have not really had to pass against them, so that is misleading. Honestly good/ great secondaries are not what messes WSU up. I think CU will be the best D we will have faced. Great coverage linebackers and safeties probably help against our O more than anything else. Unless you have a dominant front 4 that can get pressure and drop everyone else, but this year that has been tough to do. Again though, we have not faced a great D. I think your guys will match up well against us. Marks is probably the hardest cover on the team with Martin coming on as well. For the most part Falk throws to everyone, and no player is a true focus on O. That is likely the biggest issue on D for teams is that bringing guys to Marks leaves someone else open. For my money there are only 4-5 quality D teams in the Pac12. CU, Utah, SC, UW. WSU may get there, most others have at least one glaring weakness.

Not sure actually. OSU was probably the higher rated, but like Cal teams have not really had to pass against them, so that is misleading. Honestly good/ great secondaries are not what messes WSU up. I think CU will be the best D we will have faced. Great coverage linebackers and safeties probably help against our O more than anything else. Unless you have a dominant front 4 that can get pressure and drop everyone else, but this year that has been tough to do. Again though, we have not faced a great D. I think your guys will match up well against us. Marks is probably the hardest cover on the team with Martin coming on as well. For the most part Falk throws to everyone, and no player is a true focus on O. That is likely the biggest issue on D for teams is that bringing guys to Marks leaves someone else open. For my money there are only 4-5 quality D teams in the Pac12. CU, Utah, SC, UW. WSU may get there, most others have at least one glaring weakness.
We struggle getting pressure with 4. Which is why I'm scurred. Best secondary in the conference probably.

UCLA has a good defense

We have to get pressure. Have to. Make that Qb run, and they are toast. We have to get pressure.

I think it's going to be a mistake to try to shorten the game, too - yeah, WSU is accustomed to playing fast, too, but Pullman is 3,000 feet lower than Boulder and we're used to playing fast, too.

Go with game situations, obviously, but imo, we need to see if we can wear these guys out. A 56-52 win is still a win.

Definitely need Tupou to eat up two of their lineman to help our already strong defense get a mismatch in our favor.

I think it's going to be a mistake to try to shorten the game, too - yeah, WSU is accustomed to playing fast, too, but Pullman is 3,000 feet lower than Boulder and we're used to playing fast, too.

Go with game situations, obviously, but imo, we need to see if we can wear these guys out. A 56-52 win is still a win.
Playing fast on offense (for CU) doesn't mean chucking the ball all over the place. We can run an up tempo offense with some no huddle, but still commit to the run. We should be mixing it up, even though we're used to the altitude, we need to give our D some spells during the game and some long, methodical drives help with that.

Got to make them one dimensional on offense and force turnovers.

Got to be able to run the ball when we're on offense to control the game.

As @Duff Man said in an earlier post, the big thing in this one could very well be which team performs in the red zone.

Wazzu is waiting for news this week on a potential return of their suspended best DT

I wonder where Coach Mac's contract extension is with this breakthrough season. Anyone got the scoop if that's gonna happen? Mac's contract is good through the end of the 2018 season, and chances are that struggling P5 teams or even NFL teams are trying to interview him now.

Back