What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB '18 GA Wing Cameron Swartz (Signed to COLORADO)

I know she attends a private school and plays in one of the smaller school classifications. She will be defended and I hope she knows it.

She will find herself defended WAY tighter in PAC12 games than what she is seeing in that video. But she looks quick getting off her 3 point shot with a good catch and shoot move. Huggins was a great 3 point shooter but she needed more time to get her feet set for the shot than PAC 12 defenders would give her. Cam looks like she may be able to beat a defender who isn't on her on the catch.

I think I saw 1-2 wide open threes in that video so she seems to have a quick release. She's also 5-11 so that will help. Obviously HS to college is a big jump but she seems to have all the tools. Props to the staff for finding her and getting her to go out of state.

Oh yeah. Thinking we are going to like watching Cam play. Just have to temper my expectations. The transition from small school HS to PAC-12 could be huge.

Don't most college coaches mostly evaluate from AAU ball not high school ball?
Absolutely. Both her teammates and the competition would be much better in AAU ball than in high school. So certainly all the college coaches recruiting her would have seen her play many times with the club team. Additionally, I believe she was in Colorado Springs several times with USA basketball so she certainly would have been playing with and against top level talent in her age group.

It is impossible to judge her real level of talent and get a sense of what she will do her freshman season based on her high school highlights.

While watching the WBB at Utah, I was telling myself we needed more guards for next season and then I see this thread...seems like a big time get!

Absolutely. Both her teammates and the competition would be much better in AAU ball than in high school. So certainly all the college coaches recruiting her would have seen her play many times with the club team. Additionally, I believe she was in Colorado Springs several times with USA basketball so she certainly would have been playing with and against top level talent in her age group.

It is impossible to judge her real level of talent and get a sense of what she will do her freshman season based on her high school highlights.

It is impossible to judge but we know by this thread that we beat out her home state schools (Georgia and Georgia Tech), Michigan and Virginia Tech. That's just the ones we know about. If we are beating out numerous big schools for a player then that's a good sign that all of them liked what she did vs AAU teams. Also, I have confidence in this staff can develop all of these young players.

The one thing that I do think she'll need to get to work on as soon as she hits campus in June is upper body strength. She's gonna take a lot of contact in college going to the basket.

I do think she'll have a shot at early and frequent playing time.

When I think about next season and perimeter players, it looks to me like Swartz will have to beat out one of the following -
Quinessa Caylao-Do, Alexis Robinson or Kennedy Leonard. Both Quinessa and Alexis seem to have come back from their respective injuries and were key contributors. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

When I think about next season and perimeter players, it looks to me like Swartz will have to beat out one of the following -
Quinessa Caylao-Do, Alexis Robinson or Kennedy Leonard. Both Quinessa and Alexis seem to have come back from their respective injuries and were key contributors. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

There is going to be a 3 way battle to start at the 3 between Knight, Swartz and Caylao-Do. Whoever is the best offensive player of those three needs to start because offense is what we are in desperate need of. I don't see how Jank, Leonard and Robinson don't start. Hollingshed will most likely start at the 5 unless we get lucky on a graduate transfer or juco post. JMHO

I don't think Leonard's starting spot is up for grabs next season unless there is an injury.

I don't think anyone has a shot of taking Kennedy's place in the starting lineup. I certainly didn't mean to imply it in my previous post.

From a outside perspective Cayloa-Do is the must vulnerable. But one thing to keep in mind is that while the team may need offense they also need to improve massively on defense as well. So putting in a freshmen may give some improved scoring, but if the defense doesn't really get better does it matter?

Swartz may turn out to be a very good scorer, but the question is whether or not she can be a solid defender.

I don't think anyone has a shot of taking Kennedy's place in the starting lineup. I certainly didn't mean to imply it in my previous post.

From a outside perspective Cayloa-Do is the must vulnerable. But one thing to keep in mind is that while the team may need offense they also need to improve massively on defense as well. So putting in a freshmen may give some improved scoring, but if the defense doesn't really get better does it matter?

Swartz may turn out to be a very good scorer, but the question is whether or not she can be a solid defender.

Defense is just coaching and effort since she seems to have the size and quickness. Her disadvantage is having to learn the defense and offense. This staff seemed to have taught those to this year's Freshmen so I hope both Freshmen grasp the defensive and offensive systems next season. We are going to need Knight, Cayla-Do and Swartz to contribute next year.

Cam had a big day yesterday!

Very impressive.

This also got me wondering- for any long-term Buff basketball and/ or track fans/ historians- has there ever been a men's or women's basketball player who was also on the track and field team?

Very impressive.

This also got me wondering- for any long-term Buff basketball and/ or track fans/ historians- has there ever been a men's or women's basketball player who was also on the track and field team?
I don't there has been in my lifetime in Boulder. My guess is that she won't be trying it at CU. In part this is because she'd have to make a very quick transition from basketball to track and would miss the indoor track season.

I don't there has been in my lifetime in Boulder. My guess is that she won't be trying it at CU. In part this is because she'd have to make a very quick transition from basketball to track and would miss the indoor track season.

Thanks.

That was my guess, but the reference to her jumping got me curious.

I know there has been T&F / volleyball combo ... high jumper & middle blocker Kelsey English. But those seasons don't overlap as much as BB and T&F.

Back