What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB 2019 Pre-Season Info Thread

9th is about right in terms of expectations for a conference finish this season. In women's basketball, the Pac 12 has some elite teams that the Buffs just don't have the talent to contend with on a regular basis. This means that getting to the WNIT would be a reasonable expectation. They were close to making the WNIT last season Alexis Robinson being healthy and improvement from last season's freshmen as well as contributions from this season's they should be better in terms of wins and losses.

Coach Payne talked a bit about installing a new offense this year. She said that they looked at what they had and what they don't, then did the research to find an offense that would fit not having experienced post players but having a lot of versatile perimeter players with length. Sounds like they're going to go fast, spread the court, shoot a lot of 3s and get to the hoop mostly off drives instead of feeding the post. Sounds similar to what MBB went to, actually, where the bigs are expected to be able to pass and shoot from the 3 point line or even take an opposing big off the dribble from out there.

Last edited:
I actually think that 9th is a bit low for this team. Obviously they are going to struggle to guard the paint. No getting around that. Teams that can control the pace of play against them and have bigs will win. But controlling the pace won't be easy against the Buffs, so lets look at the positives on this team:

They have two incoming freshman that WILL be absolute studs out of the gate (Swartz and Finau).
They have two sophs that were solid last year and I expect growth from (Jank and Hollinshed)
They have two seniors that are amazing Buffs (Leonard and Robinson).

That is six players, including two bigs, that I am very confident this team will be able to lean on. I also expect that Caylao-Do (Jr) will start to come into her own (she has been up and down) and that Aubrey Knight (Soph) will be steady. With these two the team is 8 deep and that is the first time since JR got her that she will be able to have 8 players who can legitimately compete and not be a liability when they step on the court. There is zero depth at the big spot though. Jank and Hollingshed have some height, but neither have the body to match up in the post. So CU will have to trap and rotate on D and run a lot on offense...and hope there isn't any foul trouble (or hope Volcy can give some depth minutes without hurting them).

So far, I have seen a lot of positive comments about Tuitele (Frosh) from camp. She may be able to contribute some this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if CU is 8-10 in conference. I know that sounds like a lot, but I do feel this team is much deeper than last years team and that is only a difference of 3 wins in conference.

Having seen a couple of their practices and having watched the team play in Italy, my choice for most impactful freshman out of the gate is Tuitele. Although not as tall as you'd like to see, she is a powerfully built front court player which Hollingshed is not. Jank has the heart and the desire but lacks some in the strength. And Kai Volcy is still learning how to play there. The new offense that the coaches have implemented plays to the strengths of a team that is heavy with guard and wing talent but having a strong front court player will still be a big asset IMO. The other three freshmen (Finau, Swartz, and Clarke) will be in the deep guard/wing talent pool.

Emma Clarke is rated as the #3 of 30 Australian women for 2018-19

https://pickandroll.com.au/ncaa-women-2018-19-top-5-freshmen/

Originally a verbal commitment to UC Santa Barbara, Clarke reneged following a coaching change at the Gauchos, and landed herself at a far more high-profile program in one of the nation’s toughest conferences in the form of Pac-12 school Colorado.
Length in the back court seems to be a trait throughout the Colorado roster, with Clarke one of a number of guards to stand at 5’10 or taller alongside pocket rockets Kennedy Leonard and Peyton Carter who stand 5’8. This should allow the freshman to shift to the three-spot at times, with Colorado coach JR Payne already outlining Clarke’s versatility as one of the positive attributes that the Western Australian brings to the team.
Although Clarke skipped this year’s Under 20 National Championships in which Western Australia finished sixth, that proved not to be a barrier to national team selection. She was called up to the FIBA Asia Under 18s tournament in October alongside a number of other 2018 freshmen, including Miela Goodchild and Samantha Simons.
Clarke has also been impressive in Western Australia’s SBL this season, finishing second for scoring and third in rebounding for her Perry Lakes side that went out in the first round of the playoffs in her final season before commencing her college career.

I actually think that 9th is a bit low for this team.
I based my statement on what I've observed the last two seasons plus as well as the strength of the Pac 12 which since the time CU and Utah have joined has improved in quality and depth making the climb into the top tier really challenging.

Going back to the last few years of Lappe's time here as well as the first two seasons of JR & Co there's been consistency in terms of poor defending and rebounding a well a silly turnovers. Until they improve in these areas it's gonna be hard for them to win more than 6 or so conference games.

Of course there could and probably should be improvement in all these areas this season. It's the third season JR's been here and hopefully the new culture she brought is going to take effect. In the press conference she stated that they are working on toughness all the time and the team is better now that it was last season. Let's hope that's the case. Otherwise, they're going to have to hit a lot of treys to keep up with the opposition in Pac 12 play.

It's good to read that the offense has been changed to fit the skills of the current group. This is especially true for Jank and Hollingshed who each have skills to make a difference. I expect both to start this season.

Of course Kennedy and Robinson will start. So that leaves one starting spot and lots of solid candidates.

I think 4 of the 5 freshmen will get some serious playing time this season. And perhaps one could earn a starting spot at some point.

November 6th is really close. Hope to be at the Northern Colorado game to get a sense of this season's team.

Looks like the Buffs had a closed door scrimmage the other day. Any work on who they played or how it went?

Don't know who they played but it looked like Hollingshed was in street clothes for the scrimmage.

So I am officially revising my expectations of the WBB team down ward. I am early on the news so I won't name, names, or list the procedures, but basic information was shared at the WBB open house. One of the freshman that we expected to have a big impact on this team had surgery that impacted her heart (was called heart surgery at the open house). She was walking around, which is a great sign, but she was VERY stiff. I am sure there will be more details on this situation in the days to come. But I wish her nothing but the best.

While no heart surgery is minor, it could have been something like an ablation to correct a rapid heart rate. After one of those you are good to go almost right away. So I wouldn’t necessarily assume this will affect her playing.

So I am officially revising my expectations of the WBB team down ward. I am early on the news so I won't name, names, or list the procedures, but basic information was shared at the WBB open house. One of the freshman that we expected to have a big impact on this team had surgery that impacted her heart (was called heart surgery at the open house). She was walking around, which is a great sign, but she was VERY stiff. I am sure there will be more details on this situation in the days to come. But I wish her nothing but the best.
Was strange to see her limping and then find out it was heart surgery. She seemed to be in good spirits but was certainly walking gingerly. Hope she recovers quickly.
What a great time last night! The team seems to be close and looking forward to getting the season underway. Certainly some character in that group, and they have a lot of spirit.

I don't understand all the secrecy in these last few posts. This issue was mentioned at the WBB 1-on-1 open house last night in front of over a hundred people. If the player and/or team wanted to keep this hushed up, that would not have happened. The player involved is Cameron Swartz. Her interview partner identified the condition as tachycardia, which fits with DBT's observation.
I did have a private discussion with Cam which I will not disclose here but I see no reason why the information that was conveyed to everyone in the room by Cam and her interview partner cannot be shared with this group.

I don't understand all the secrecy in these last few posts. This issue was mentioned at the WBB 1-on-1 open house last night in front of over a hundred people. If the player and/or team wanted to keep this hushed up, that would not have happened. The player involved is Cameron Swartz. Her interview partner identified the condition as tachycardia, which fits with DBT's observation.
I did have a private discussion with Cam which I will not disclose here but I see no reason why the information that was conveyed to everyone in the room by Cam and her interview partner cannot be shared with this group.

That's 100% fair, but in this day and age I'm perfectly fine with people erring on the side of caution when it comes to something like this.

Do share, what are your new expectations based on what you’ve learned

Emma Clark is currently playing for the Australian U18 FBA Women's team

Clark Set For International Stage

https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/26/womens-basketball-clarke-set-for-international-stage.aspx

BOULDER--When the University of Colorado women's basketball team hits the court for Monday's exhibition at the CU Events Center one face will be noticeably absent.

Freshman guard Emma Clarke will have an excused absence leading up to CU's home opener on Nov. 6, as she travels to Bangalore, India, to play in the U18 FIBA Women's Asian Championships. Clarke will be one of three Division I players representing Australia in the tournament set for Oct. 28-Nov. 3.

For Clarke, this journey started back when she was nine years old, growing up in Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. She developed a love and passion for the game of basketball and a growing desire to represent Australia on the grandest stage—the Olympics.

"I have been exposed to international players pretty much since I started playing," Clarke explained about her early affiliation with basketball. "I would see them practicing in my gym or casually around the city. I would read about them in the newspaper or online. I have just wanted to do what they do. That is when I started taking basketball really seriously because I want to go to the Olympics."

Clarke's foray into international basketball came last season at the U17 FIBA Oceania Championships. She helped lead Australia to the gold medal, averaging 18.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game.

"Last season was my first international tournament," Clarke reminisced. "We went to Guam for the first stage of our qualifier and won. That was a really good experience."

Clarke describes her skill-set as being more of a physical game, something she attributes to her time spent playing Australian football.

"People say basketball is a non-contact sport," Clarke slyly stated. "I do not believe that. It is a contact sport for sure.

"I used to play Australian football when I was younger. I did not discover basketball until later. In primary school, I loved playing that sport. We used to have school tournaments and I really enjoyed it. I really like the physicality of it. I am a very physical player."

The 6-1 Clarke plays small forward for Australia but will be slotted as a guard for Colorado. She has been with the team since the summer and has been re-tooling her skills to become a more rounded player.

"Since I have been here I have been developing my ball handling skills. Long-term I know I probably will not play the four or five. I know I will be more on the wing. I have really been refining my ball handling and working on attacking the basket. I have been working hard on perfecting my skills and making sure my footwork is right, my shot technique is perfect and I can get a quick release. This fall has really been about perfecting my skills."

Australia is in Group A of Division A in the preliminary rounds and will play Indonesia, Chinese Taipei and South Korea. Winners of group play will advance to the semifinal round. China, Japan, New Zealand, and Malaysia make up Group B.

The top four teams will qualify for the 2019 FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup in Thailand.

Back