What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Oxford, Mississippi...

The NCAA and Ole Miss are set for a showdown next month. Firing Freeze did little in placating the NCAA.

I think USC's punishments for the Reggie Bush Scandal are the baseline here.
USC's penalties stopped just short of the death penalty IIRC. Severe scholarship reductions and something like a three year bowl ban. I know USC weasels out of the toughest restrictions. But the penalties seemed really harsh to me at the time.

USC's penalties stopped just short of the death penalty IIRC. Severe scholarship reductions and something like a three year bowl ban. I know USC weasels out of the toughest restrictions. But the penalties seemed really harsh to me at the time.
USC showed that even the harshest penalties are a mere setback, so it is probably worth the risk if you are one of the "Big Boyz."

Ole Miss is not one of the big boys.

This

The ability to recover from sanctions is much different for USC than it would be for Ole Miss. USC happens to be the dream school of a huge number of recruits in close proximity to it, in one of the richest recruiting grounds in the nation.

I remember Cowherd actually arguing that the scholarship reductions helped USC lol. Pretty funny segment.

I remember Cowherd actually arguing that the scholarship reductions helped USC lol. Pretty funny segment.
It might have helped them in recruiting, but it hurt them on the field. There were quite a few losses where they blew some pretty big leads and their D looked visibly gassed.

It might have helped them in recruiting, but it hurt them on the field. There were quite a few losses where they blew some pretty big leads and their D looked visibly gassed.
Yeah I just don't really see how it helped them in recruiting either, you can never have enough 4-5*'s so why would limiting the total to get a couple more 5*'s help them?

Yeah I just don't really see how it helped them in recruiting either, you can never have enough 4-5*'s so why would limiting the total to get a couple more 5*'s help them?
I think the argument went something like: "there are fewer spots at USC, so if you get an offer, you better take it".

If I remember Cowheard was trying to say that with the scholarship reduction, an offer from USC was now more valuable due to the fact that it was in limited supply, and those who receive one know they are truly special. I don't think it ended up working in the way he described.

Also, not sure how true he thought the statement was, or if he was just trying to generate ratings/discussion during the slow part of the summer.

******Sackman beat me to it**************

It wouldn't, pure and simple. Ole Miss a big time program is hilarious. Please. Why because they had 2 Mannings there? Made a movie about Oher?

The NCAA and Ole Miss are set for a showdown next month. Firing Freeze did little in placating the NCAA.

I think USC's punishments for the Reggie Bush Scandal are the baseline here.
Wow.

Got to wonder if the hammer's gonna drop on North Carolina, too.

Wow.

Got to wonder if the hammer's gonna drop on North Carolina, too.
I'm expecting a hammer on football and any non - revenue sports that had athletes enrolled in the fake classes, and a slap on the wrist for the money machine basketball program.

I'm expecting a hammer on football and any non - revenue sports that had athletes enrolled in the fake classes, and a slap on the wrist for the money machine basketball program.
Yep. Just about any other school would sacrifice anything to save football. UNC will take it on the chin in order to avoid vacating their national title, final four and avoid sanctions against its hoops program.

I'm sure the sanctions will be tough on the women's basketball program while the men's program will pretty much skate.... :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm sure the sanctions will be tough on the women's basketball program while the men's program will pretty much skate.... :confused: :rolleyes:
UNC women's fencing will probably get the death penalty while MBB and FB skate. May have to offer up field hockey and rowing, too, because these are some very serious violations. :whistle:

One interesting thing to me about Bobo is that he has still kept his recruiting pipeline intact with kids from Georgia. Not massively high profile kids, but solid ones. Also, as to CSU in general, I'm kind of surprised that the new stadium actually got built. My MW team of choice has always been Wyoming so I get to root against the Rams pretty seriously twice a season. I don't think that 6 or 7 win seasons get Bobo any SEC offers. IMO a big part of Jim Mc's mojo for his job at FL was his resume time at Alabama in addition to the one big season in FoCo....

Bobo seems like a good offensive mind but I think his coaching connections are reduced when trying to bring people from the south to the mountain west conference, like hiring Marty English to be his defensive coordinator at a top tier MWC school. Also think his recruiting is a little overrated by CsU fans, he always has kids poached or they don't make it to campus. All of that said those problems could be solved quickly by getting back in the sec. I always thought he was a good fit for the Mizzou job a couple years back.

One interesting thing to me about Bobo is that he has still kept his recruiting pipeline intact with kids from Georgia. Not massively high profile kids, but solid ones. Also, as to CSU in general, I'm kind of surprised that the new stadium actually got built. My MW team of choice has always been Wyoming so I get to root against the Rams pretty seriously twice a season. I don't think that 6 or 7 win seasons get Bobo any SEC offers. IMO a big part of Jim Mc's mojo for his job at FL was his resume time at Alabama in addition to the one big season in FoCo....

If Bobo puts together 3-4 bowl seasons and wins the MWC he will be back in the SEC. There is enough turnover of coaches and his background plus those records would get him a job.

The difference between him and Sparkles is the level of job. Florida is a top third job in the SEC. His Bama background is what got him that job. Bobo will get a lower third or maybe a middle third SEC job but won't be considered for a top third.

That last statement is BOLD.

That last statement is BOLD.

If I'd have been considering Jim Mc for a high SEC job (which FL kinda is), his time/success at Alabama would have been at least equal to his time at CSU. That's all I meant.
I don't think he'd have gotten the FL job offer without the visibility/success with Saban. The CSU stuff was just the frosting on the cake. Most SEC ADs probably cant find FoCo in a day, even with a Rand McNally road atlas.

Back