What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

Could actually work out with donations going to actual Athletic Departments instead of going to certain churches and other charities that serve as fronts for paying players, agents, etc. I have no illusions that CU doesn't at least play that game to some extent. Hell, I'm sure that is what some of the coaching staff compensation actually gets funneled into anyway. In some ways we'd be just cutting out the middlemen and making it a lot more efficient.
Like any black market, you figure out a way to bring it into the light as long as it's not too horrible of a trade. Usually, that's better for everyone.

You're basically saying that you are able to rationalize how dirty amateur basketball is and excuse people for cheating as long as it appears that their heart is somewhat in the right place.

Too many basketball fans and media folks are in this same camp. It's what perpetuates the system we have. Pretty much everyone plays along or at least shrugs and looks the other way, so things never change.

I think what perpetuates the system we have has a lot more to do with men's greed and money, and trying to maintain the status quo of free labor. And no, I was not trying to say that Martin should not be punished, or even trying say he's not wrong. However, the general rhetoric that he's this despicable coach bc he was banned from FL HS coaching is not truly fair.

I'm 100% in favor of paying a significant stipend to varsity athletes along with, in revenue sports, money to be held in trust for each year a player is under scholarship that is payable upon expiration of eligibility.
Not going to argue here, but I disagree.

Rhetorical question but if it’s so evident that these guys cheat why or how does the NCAA not do anything? And yes, my question is meant as a shot at the NCAA.

I disagree with Nik too. I think the players should be paid whatever the market will give them. Capitalism FTMFW.
I don't understand why you and others are so quick to write off amateurism and the educational aspect of choosing a college to play basketball. I think you guys get so deep into the weeds that you lose sight of what college sports is supposed to strive to be and get away from that as a goal, instead focusing on these players as being in the workforce as they're leaving high school. College is to prepare them to enter the workforce while maximizing their value in that workforce they will enter.

Players are absolutely free to make a free market decision to forego that college opportunity and earn a paycheck. There should not be a one-year-removed-from-high-school rule in the NBA. The elites should be able to go. Everyone else can go to college to get an education and improve their games to potentially get an NBA opportunity later on (or International pro league). Or guys can choose to take a low-paying basketball job right out of high school if they don't want to go to college, just like any other human being in this country who can go get a job in his/her field straight out of high school -- and make basically minimum wage while having to work your way up.

Sorry. I don't want to turn college basketball into minor league franchises. Count me out as a fan if this ever comes to pass. Giving merit scholarship students a stipend to live on is one thing. Acknowledging the significant revenues generated by football and men's basketball by giving them a piece of that upon graduation is one thing. Bidding wars for players is a completely differently animal.

Last edited:
I was so annoyed during one of the CU broadcasts last week. They put Tad's response on the screen and one of the announcers was talking about it. The other announcer's comment was that he wouldn't read what Tad said because he has a wife and a child watching the broadcast and there was some colorful language in Tad's response.

He said "hell".

Now, maybe the announcer is such a milk drinker puritan that he personally finds "hell" to be an inappropriate obscenity. But by saying what he did on the air, he gave the impression to the 99.9% of listeners who aren't living in the Victorian era that Tad dropped a bunch of F-bombs or something.

Last edited:
I was so annoyed during one of the CU broadcasts last week. They put Tad's response on the screen and one of the announcers was talking about it. The other announcer's comment was that he wouldn't read what Tad said because he has a wife and a child watching the broadcast and there was some colorful language in Tad's response.

He said "hell".

Now, maybe the announcer is such a milk drinker puritan that he personally finds "hell" to be an inappropriate obscenity. But by saying what he did on the air, he gave the impression to the 99.9% of listeners who aren't living in the Victorian era that Tad dropped a bunch of F-bombs or something.
bloody hell

Nope. Good use of hyperbole though. Kids are already getting paid, let's just bring out the sunlight.
I saw some comments by Mike Montgomery. He was very measured. The strong impression I got was that while he wishes it was different and there are some bad operators who take it way over the line, it's been like that since before he was even getting started in the biz and it is like he and others are being very careful about casting stones because the entire profession & industry has dirt on it.

This looks like it's tied to the raid the FBI did on NBA agent Andy Miller's office.

I don't have the time or inclination to look up the colleges for the players he represented, but some (probably incomplete) client lists can be found here:
https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Andy-Miller/14
http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/Andy-Miller-8/

His website claims he was "involved with" 26 first round draft picks.

Any non-blue blood school that had a player use him as an agent when they left school has to be very worried right now.

FTA:
It will take some time until the FBI investigation wraps up, but really if you’re a college basketball fan you’re going to care more about what the NCAA says and does.

Yeah ... probably nothing. If we haven't already realized that the NCAA is essentially a toady of major programs after the North Carolina academic fiasco, we never will.

FTA:

Yeah ... probably nothing. If we haven't already realized that the NCAA is essentially a toady of major programs after the North Carolina academic fiasco, we never will.

But Georgia Southern will get the death penalty for giving some kids Snickers Bars on unofficial visits.

This is needed. But just so everyone knows, there are going to be a whole lot more people who were lucky enough to not be caught than there are going to be people punished. Just like how now when you see a photo of a baseball player from the 80s with a lot of muscles and assume he was using some PEDs, you'll be assuming the same thing about anyone from CBB who was ever a Top 20 recruit or ever coached one in AAU or ever signed one to a college program.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

This is needed. But just so everyone knows, there are going to be a whole lot more people who were lucky enough to not be caught than there are going to be people punished. Just like how now when you see a photo of a baseball player from the 80s with a lot of muscles and assume he was using some PEDs, you'll be assuming the same thing about anyone from CBB who was ever a Top 20 recruit or ever coached one in AAU or ever signed one to a college program.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

Lottery picks sanctioned? Does the NBA have a policy about punishing players who broke NCAA rules?

Lottery picks sanctioned? Does the NBA have a policy about punishing players who broke NCAA rules?
I think that refers to tourney teams getting their appearances voided due to those players. NBA doesn't care.

Later in the article it said there around 50 teams that could get hit and that it's so bad the NCAA might need to change the rules if it wants to continue having basketball.

I know it won’t actually mean much but I’m praying they vacate the U$C game this year because I’m petty and **** Andy Enfield and that end of game time-out.

Edit: Pretty sure I misunderstood the part about vacating tourney appearances but still, **** Andy Enfield.

The sport needs to find honesty. I sort of don't care which honesty it finds, just be honest about what it is. I get so sick of seeing guys like Coach K, Calipari, etc being held up as these great leaders of men & bastions of virtue when I think we all know what has been going on behind the scenes. Can't say that I blame them as they have both been wildly successful & gotten very rich off of the system. It's time to call a spade a spade though.

The sport needs to find honesty. I sort of don't care which honesty it finds, just be honest about what it is. I get so sick of seeing guys like Coach K, Calipari, etc being held up as these great leaders of men & bastions of virtue when I think we all know what has been going on behind the scenes. Can't say that I blame them as they have both been wildly successful & gotten very rich off of the system. It's time to call a spade a spade though.
Calipari's violations and alleged transgressions have been well publicised, but i'm not part of the "we all" who knows whats going on behind the scenes at Duke. Could you please clarify? Is there reason, other than their success, to believe they've been doing it the wrong way?

Back