What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

From the looks of the number of schools involved it's a good question how many would be left if they forfeited wins and made them ineligible for post-season. We might almost get to the point of any P5 program with a .500+ record getting into the tourney and a bunch of mid-majors who would otherwise be in the NIT. The CBI would fill up with any D1 teams left around .500.

FBI investigation - not NCAA. NCAA won't do ****. If anything, they'll change the rules so they can avoid this scenario happening.

I saw at least three current players - Miles Bridges, Wendell Carter, and Bennie Boatwright - named. Do their coaches continue to play them?

From the looks of the number of schools involved it's a good question how many would be left if they forfeited wins and made them ineligible for post-season. We might almost get to the point of any P5 program with a .500+ record getting into the tourney and a bunch of mid-majors who would otherwise be in the NIT. The CBI would fill up with any D1 teams left around .500.

The easy solution here would be to end the one-and-done nonsense. As far as possible repercussions for these schools-Not sure how a guy like Andy Enfield survives this. Between Tony Bland's indictment and the news of the bribes/loans to Metu and Boatwright, there's no way in hell he did not know this was going on. With an example like Malcolm Brogdon's mother (who according to these documents had a meeting with Christian Dawkins) we need to know more before we pass judgement.

The easy solution here would be to end the one-and-done nonsense. As far as possible repercussions for these schools-Not sure how a guy like Andy Enfield survives this. Between Tony Bland's indictment and the news of the bribes/loans to Metu and Boatwright, there's no way in hell he did not know this was going on. With an example like Malcolm Brogdon's mother (who according to these documents had a meeting with Christian Dawkins) we need to know more before we pass judgement.
One-and-done is probably the smallest issue in all this. Way overblown. This has been a problem forever, even when the NBA only drafted players who were 4 years removed from high school and colleges didn't allow freshmen to suit up for varsity.

FBI investigation - not NCAA. NCAA won't do ****. If anything, they'll change the rules so they can avoid this scenario happening.

Unfortunately you are correct. NCAA won't do anything against the "big name" schools and risk their money stream.

At some point between the Penn State and Baylor scandals, Miami with blow and hired girls, Michigan State, Nebraska, etc. etc. and now with the FBI and soon the IRS getting into this I think we are going to see federal oversight of college athletics.

One-and-done is probably the smallest issue in all this. Way overblown. This has been a problem forever, even when the NBA only drafted players who were 4 years removed from high school and colleges didn't allow freshmen to suit up for varsity.

I don't disagree, but I think it took a brushfire and turned it into a full blown disaster.

Only a link with one agency's involvement. This is going to end up being pretty much everyone.

This.

Let's hypothetically say that only the top 100 guys being recruited are getting paid. Now the top 5-10 are going pro instead of going to college. Do you really think everyone's going to now magically stop at #90 and not pay him? Roughly the same number of kids are getting paid. Roughly the same number of schools are corrupt.

Penn State, Michigan State, North Carolina on the list. No shock that these three schools have already shown themselves to place winning above any moral action or responsibility. Now just wondering when Baylor gets added to the list.

This.

Let's hypothetically say that only the top 100 guys being recruited are getting paid. Now the top 5-10 are going pro instead of going to college. Do you really think everyone's going to now magically stop at #90 and not pay him? Roughly the same number of kids are getting paid. Roughly the same number of schools are corrupt.
End the one and done and really punish these schools and especially the coaches to keep them from doing it again so it becomes less and less of an issue. There are too many opportunities for these kids to make money playing outside the NCAA right now, especially since the NBA has their own developmental leagues. The NCAA knows pay for play is sort of a pipe dream because the number of sports/athletes and even when they tried to address it with a stipend everyone still cried poor. It will never end and the NCAA needs to understand what college sports really is and outside of maybe 5% of the schools/players, it is an amateur association.

End the one and done and really punish these schools and especially the coaches to keep them from doing it again so it becomes less and less of an issue. There are too many opportunities for these kids to make money playing outside the NCAA right now, especially since the NBA has their own developmental leagues. The NCAA knows pay for play is sort of a pipe dream because the number of sports/athletes and even when they tried to address it with a stipend everyone still cried poor. It will never end and the NCAA needs to understand what college sports really is and outside of maybe 5% of the schools/players, it is an amateur association.

You do realize this FBI scandal ends with stipends for all athletes, don't you? The NCAA likes making money a lot more than it likes keeping it's integrity, and making it so the national champs are on the same level as a MWC team is going to cost them a lot of money.

You do realize this FBI scandal ends with stipends for all athletes, don't you? The NCAA likes making money a lot more than it likes keeping it's integrity, and making it so the national champs are on the same level as a MWC team is going to cost them a lot of money.
The stipend plan, especially if we also have a revenue share with players getting a piece that's held in escrow until after graduation, is going to shrink D1 basketball. Many of the smaller schools won't be able to afford to offer that just as they can't afford to have D1 football programs. Some simply don't make enough money from media and home attendance to justify those costs. They'll be better off dropping down to D2. Especially because the Power Six conference schools will react to losing money by scheduling differently to make more money. That means scheduling each other instead of paying for body bag games in order to please their media overlords, drive home attendance numbers and get bigger paydays when playing road games.

It's time for high school players to start looking at the G League as a destination. Also Spencer Dinwiddle's success with the Nets will only increase the interest of NBA teams in having their own G-League teams. If you paid a G League player a $50k salary, the total salary of the G League team wouldn't even exceed $1M.

The stipend plan, especially if we also have a revenue share with players getting a piece that's held in escrow until after graduation, is going to shrink D1 basketball. Many of the smaller schools won't be able to afford to offer that just as they can't afford to have D1 football programs. Some simply don't make enough money from media and home attendance to justify those costs. They'll be better off dropping down to D2. Especially because the Power Six conference schools will react to losing money by scheduling differently to make more money. That means scheduling each other instead of paying for body bag games in order to please their media overlords, drive home attendance numbers and get bigger paydays when playing road games.

That may be. But I don't think it'll stop it from happening. I also think the Olympic method (amateurs, but allowed to do endorsements) could be a way for the NCAA to weasel out of it.

It's time for high school players to start looking at the G League as a destination. Also Spencer Dinwiddle's success with the Nets will only increase the interest of NBA teams in having their own G-League teams. If you paid a G League player a $50k salary, the total salary of the G League team wouldn't even exceed $1M.

G-League has a lot it needs to work out before it becomes a viable option, but I do think we're headed that route. NBA teams are smart, they'll insist upon it.

That may be. But I don't think it'll stop it from happening. I also think the Olympic method (amateurs, but allowed to do endorsements) could be a way for the NCAA to weasel out of it.
At least allow them to sell autographs through a licensed dealer. Can't have Booster McWarbucks paying $100k to a kid to sign a cocktail napkin, but I don't see any reason why a college athlete shouldn't be able to get paid to sign some stuff with a properly vetted sports memorabilia dealer. I also agree with you on sponsorships that Nike should be able to pay for an athlete to go to camps, training facilities and even to take unofficial visits to a college without it impacting that player's eligibility to become an NCAA student athlete.

All athletes already get a stipend.

Stipends won't affect street agents. They will still pay kids, their families, or their "advisors" in an attempt to create a relationship they can later leverage into money--either from corrupt college coaches or from eventual professional contracts. I don't see an answer here as long as the motivation to profit from a kid's talent exists, except maybe to allow professionalism at any age, which is what happens in world soccer.

I can't believe I'm saying this but LaVar Ball has a relatively similar idea that actually isn't terrible, on the surface.
LaVar Ball is claiming he will begin a basketball league for college-aged players who do not want to go to college. He’s saying he’s going to pay them anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 a month (based on skill) and allow them to focus on preparing for their pro careers.

I don't see an answer here as long as the motivation to profit from a kid's talent exists, except maybe to allow professionalism at any age, which is what happens in world soccer.

This would be my personal preference, but I'm in the minority.

Stipends won't affect street agents. They will still pay kids, their families, or their "advisors" in an attempt to create a relationship they can later leverage into money--either from corrupt college coaches or from eventual professional contracts. I don't see an answer here as long as the motivation to profit from a kid's talent exists, except maybe to allow professionalism at any age, which is what happens in world soccer.

I think its probably time to do away with the club/AAU world in this sport. Thats where it seems like most of the corruption in this sport begins IMO-giving a guys like Christian Dawkins (who was a youth tournament director and what ESPN called an "AAU figure") and Andy Miller a chance to network with both players and their families as well as coaches.......and arrange these illegal payments. See the following link:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1253430-college-athletic-recruiting-how-young-is-too-young

I agree with getting rid of AAU teams too. Seven on seven football possibly is going down that route that AAU basketball paved.

seanmiller1.jpg

Back