What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

I guess Jalen is still a little bitter about the Fab Five thing. I do not blame him for taking the opportunity to stick it up the NCAA's backside sideways. I guess he won't be on the NCAA Christmas Card list this year. Go Jalen.
It is bull**** that someone can't make money off his own likeness or signature. Regulate it, but don't ban it. The current system is un-American crap.

It is bull**** that someone can't make money off his own likeness or signature. Regulate it, but don't ban it. The current system is un-American crap.
I agree. The NCAA was once legitimate. But as soon as college sports began racking in the dinero, it became corrupt. The whole student-athlete thing is pretty much bastardized. Big time CFB, and to a lesser extent MBB, have become such money makers, they are NFL and NBA lite. The mission for those sports is to make money, and be farm teams. What stinks is that many players never get to the payday level. The NCAA is happy to have the perks of the big TV contracts, the fat salaries of the NCAA administrators, well paid AD's and coaching staffs are on the gravy train too. Who gets the shaft? The student-athlete. They really ought to call them athletes who take a few classes.

I have an acquaintance who was offered a FB schollie at a very prestigious academic institution. G5, not even P5. He was flat out told you are not going to study for the major you want, we are going to put you in the athlete's major. If you don't like it, we will offer your schollie to the next guy on the list. He is studying at another university as a regular student.

The point is, the education many student-athletes get is not geared to their later success, it is geared to eligibility, and subservient to the money making aspect of the relationship.

Last edited:
All pro sports leagues need to follow the MLB model. Establish a farm system, draft kids out of high school, let them choose if they wish to go to the farm system or college. Include in the farm system contracts a educational stipend to be used if they don't make it to the big leagues, like a deferred compensation. Major college football will still exist, most likely some smaller programs will be hurt as the farm system sucks in all the non-qualifiers and the top blue chippers, although there may be some blue chippers who still go the college route for the experience and education. As that happens, major colleges will start picking up players that otherwise would have gone down to the G5 level. I don't think your small DII schools would be affected, but your big time juco's would be. No need to go to juco if the only reason you were there was because you can't read so good, and really don't want to play skool anyway. I think basketball would actually improve as the competitive level starts to even out kids start choosing schools for academic reasons instead of who can get them to the league the fastest. Amateurism would still be preserved, as the schools could legitimately say that they paid option is available outside of the collegiate system.

I don't see any downside. The NFL will cry, but they should bear the cost of developing their product.

I hear you, but my first thought is that it would give an immediate larger advantage to schools with boosters and fans most willing to pay for signatures. the rich would get immediately richer. e.g. "I'm going to Notre Dame because I know their fans will buy 100 autographs a week (or whatever the limit in this hypothetical regulated future is) at full price".

I hear you, but my first thought is that it would give an immediate larger advantage to schools with boosters and fans most willing to pay for signatures. the rich would get immediately richer. e.g. "I'm going to Notre Dame because I know their fans will buy 100 autographs a week (or whatever the limit in this hypothetical regulated future is) at full price".
Yep. But, honestly, do we really worry that the elite programs are going to gain recruiting advantages? They already get the guys they want and mostly compete with each other. We'll never have a completely level playing field in college football. May as well be honest about it. Recruits are making "business decisions" now, they just have to pretend that they aren't.

Yep. But, honestly, do we really worry that the elite programs are going to gain recruiting advantages? They already get the guys they want and mostly compete with each other. We'll never have a completely level playing field in college football. May as well be honest about it. Recruits are making "business decisions" now, they just have to pretend that they aren't.
Basically, the college student-athlete model is already dead. The NCAA is doing what every organization facing a major business landscape change does. They are trying to perpetuate the old model by putting lipstick on the pig, while they milk the last drop of revenue.

Change is coming. CFB as we knew it is likely to disappear into NFL lite for the majors, a greatly scaled back product for the non-majors.

Basically, the college student-athlete model is already dead. The NCAA is doing what every organization facing a major business landscape change does. They are trying to perpetuate the old model by putting lipstick on the pig, while they milk the last drop of revenue.

Change is coming. CFB as we knew it is likely to disappear into NFL lite for the majors, a greatly scaled back product for the non-majors.
Yep. Power Conferences will be like MLB before the salary cap. G5 will become AAA baseball.

Yes. I do want this. Bring everything into the light. And major players already sell their autographs. If a booster wants to pay the starting QB or stud Point Guard 100k a year for appearance fees at his car dealership, who cares? Make it while you can. Heck, players might stick around for a few more years because they don't want to take a pay cut going pro.

I said a few days ago no major head coaches would fall over this scandal, except maybe Miller. Now it looks like even he might wiggle off the hook. Can't imagine ESPN publishing such a damning report if they didn't have rock solid evidence, tho ... the libel lawsuit will be enormous:

https://deadspin.com/is-there-a-goo...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

There won't be a lawsuit. Gary Parish and Matt Norlander had a great discussion about it today - no coach wants to be on the stand under oath. They'll make lots of noise about suing, but nothing will be done.

I said a few days ago no major head coaches would fall over this scandal, except maybe Miller. Now it looks like even he might wiggle off the hook. Can't imagine ESPN publishing such a damning report if they didn't have rock solid evidence, tho ... the libel lawsuit will be enormous:

https://deadspin.com/is-there-a-goo...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I heard an interview on one of their radio stations with one of their beat guys..........Greg Hansen or something? Anyway, his take was Miller is still is in trouble, and not coming back. Ayton, however, is not according to him-he was cleared as quickly as he was because he's not the recruit in question. Hansen said he talked to Book Richardson after this broke, and Richardson told him they were trying to bribe Brian Bowen...........not Ayton. Thats where ESPN went wrong. The link for this is below. Worth a listen for sure-10 min long.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1443387/daily-star-greg-hansen-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-brian-bowen/

I heard an interview on one of their radio stations with one of their beat guys..........Greg Hansen or something? Anyway, his take was Miller is still is in trouble, and not coming back. Ayton, however, is not according to him-he was cleared as quickly as he was because he's not the recruit in question. Hansen said he talked to Book Richardson after this broke, and Richardson told him they were trying to bribe Brian Bowen...........not Ayton. Thats where ESPN went wrong. The link for this is below. Worth a listen for sure-10 min long.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1443387/daily-star-greg-hansen-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-brian-bowen/
I'm sure that South Carolina ended up with Bowen only because of Frank Martin's personality.

Thats a logical attempt to solve this problem-I'm a little sketchy about paying players..........if you play these guys, then the athletes in Olympic sports (which don't make money for schools) will probably want it too. What do you do then? I'd be concerned about schools dropping some of their Olympic programs if we go down that route.

Thats a logical attempt to solve this problem-I'm a little sketchy about paying players..........if you play these guys, then the athletes in Olympic sports (which don't make money for schools) will probably want it too. What do you do then? I'd be concerned about schools dropping some of their Olympic programs if we go down that route.
I do believe in solid stipends for all merit scholarships. We already do that.

For revenue sports, maybe a percentage goes to the athletes and they get a check even if that’s held until after graduation. Stuff like a % of media $ and licensing $.

Then everyone being able to sign an autograph or be in a tv ad or whatever.

I do believe in solid stipends for all merit scholarships. We already do that.

For revenue sports, maybe a percentage goes to the athletes and they get a check even if that’s held until after graduation. Stuff like a % of media $ and licensing $.

Then everyone being able to sign an autograph or be in a tv ad or whatever.

Cheating is rampant in college sports but I think allowing payment for autographs, tv, etc. opens up whole new venues for that. It takes almost no time for HS to start being promised a certain amount of paid opportunities and certain boosters making sure it happens.

I really don't think college athletes need to be paid and I see the cost resulting in reduced opportunities.

I do think that schools should be able to provide in addition to what they offer more money in the form of a basic stipend letting athletes have at least a little walking around money.

In the revenue sports I would get rid of the one and done and go to a system closer to baseball with the options of going to a minor league system or being committed to at least a couple years at the college level.

Yes. I do want this. Bring everything into the light. And major players already sell their autographs. If a booster wants to pay the starting QB or stud Point Guard 100k a year for appearance fees at his car dealership, who cares? Make it while you can. Heck, players might stick around for a few more years because they don't want to take a pay cut going pro.

I think everyone wants major changes in college sports, but I can't get behind what you're implying, potentially meaning. I want anything associated with higher education to be primarily about higher education. Education needs to get revamped in this country - how it gets done is highly political and complicated, but I think most can agree that America's education system needs to get better. I think part of the problem though is how little we stress it. I don't want college athletes making business decisions for their colleges, making a mockery of their "education". I also don't want them slaving for their schools' athletic departments, while making nearly no money, or some money under the table, only to be spit out with injuries back to where they came from with no health insurance. The NFL and NBA need to step up. I doubt they will, because right now, they're getting free labor. A good part of me wants to say **** the NCAA, shut it down, burn it down, and force the NFL and NBA to invest in their prospects. If they want to go to school, then...well that's where the other part of me realizes that it gets tricky...bc then do we get rid of athletic scholarships? Bc a "new and improved" NCAA will eventually fall to the same struggles. College sports has been a huge moral dilemma for me for years now....sometimes I hate myself for feeding the beast.

The more I think about the issue, the more I am convinced that college athletes shouldn't be paid anymore than they do already with their scholarship and small stipend (If they live off campus). They also shouldn't be allowed to make money off of autographs or memorabilia. That being said, the NBA should get rid of its one and done rule. Then the NBA could use the G league as a developmental league. If a high school athlete wants to get paid and to make money off his likeness, then go to the G league. If not, then go to college. One thing I can promise though, I still won't watch one single G league game....nor will I care about the kids that went there, until they get to the NBA level. The same is true for me today with baseball. I don't watch any minor league games but will watch some college. On the other hand, I definitely will still watch and cheer for my Buffs. If I feel this way, I am guessing many others do and this points to something very few people argue. That it isn't the players bringing the revenues to the Universities....Thus, I suspect those that go to the G league, will end up making far less than people are thinking they will.

Football is a different beast for the moment as a developmental league needs to be put into place. But I still don't think the college players should be paid.

Cheating is rampant in college sports but I think allowing payment for autographs, tv, etc. opens up whole new venues for that. It takes almost no time for HS to start being promised a certain amount of paid opportunities and certain boosters making sure it happens.

I really don't think college athletes need to be paid and I see the cost resulting in reduced opportunities.

I do think that schools should be able to provide in addition to what they offer more money in the form of a basic stipend letting athletes have at least a little walking around money.

In the revenue sports I would get rid of the one and done and go to a system closer to baseball with the options of going to a minor league system or being committed to at least a couple years at the college level.
I missed the memo where a college education is free. These athletes and those who support paying them dismiss a free education’s value. I wonder if they’d give me a refund for my three kids? Paying athletes is a bad idea which will just open the floodgates of corruption. Cheating will become nearly impossible to police.

I think everyone wants major changes in college sports, but I can't get behind what you're implying, potentially meaning. I want anything associated with higher education to be primarily about higher education. Education needs to get revamped in this country - how it gets done is highly political and complicated, but I think most can agree that America's education system needs to get better. I think part of the problem though is how little we stress it. I don't want college athletes making business decisions for their colleges, making a mockery of their "education". I also don't want them slaving for their schools' athletic departments, while making nearly no money, or some money under the table, only to be spit out with injuries back to where they came from with no health insurance. The NFL and NBA need to step up. I doubt they will, because right now, they're getting free labor. A good part of me wants to say **** the NCAA, shut it down, burn it down, and force the NFL and NBA to invest in their prospects. If they want to go to school, then...well that's where the other part of me realizes that it gets tricky...bc then do we get rid of athletic scholarships? Bc a "new and improved" NCAA will eventually fall to the same struggles. College sports has been a huge moral dilemma for me for years now....sometimes I hate myself for feeding the beast.

1) Almost nothing associated with higher education is primarily about higher education. My wife is a prof at CU and higher education is more about attracting students and retaining them at nearly any cost. Seats must be filled with students receiving federal student loans in order to keep the thing going. How else could the school afford my wife's outrageous benefits?

2) You don't want college athletes making business decisions? Every student, athlete or not, should be making a business decision. If they did, they wouldn't go six figures in debt earning a soft degree where they have no hopes of ever digging out of the hole they created.

3) The NFL and NBA don't need to do anything. They have their own business to run, why should they be concerned with helping their competition? And they aren't getting free labor, they pay the kids when they go pro.

4) There is no dilemma for the NCAA when it comes to college sports. They made the decision decades ago to make bank. The only dilemma is whether or not fans that hang on to the antiquated thought that major college athletes aren't already professionals will start to understand the truth.

I missed the memo where a college education is free. These athletes and those who support paying them dismiss a free education’s value. I wonder if they’d give me a refund for my three kids? Paying athletes is a bad idea which will just open the floodgates of corruption. Cheating will become nearly impossible to police.

I agree. And the schools that have integrity are providing the athletes with a paid education even if they don't turn out to be star players. Certainly there are schools that abuse that relationship but it isn't hard for kids to find out if the school they are considering takes their education seriously.

I do think that since they aren't allowed to have outside jobs or income a reasonable stipend to allow them to get a pizza or buy some socks. I'm not talking about a large amount but a few dollars are reasonable.

Sean Miller has called a press conference for 1230

tenor.gif

Back