What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

Trying to look to the NCAA like they still have some semblance of institutional control over the MBB program?

Sense this is all about trying minimize the penalties they are going to face down the road when the NCAA has to eventually act on what comes out of the FBI investigation. "Hey, we suspended the assistant coach we are throwing under the bus for all this, be easy on us."

I will be amazed if more schools don't hold kids out tonight. Just do it quietly. Why risk it? Even if you're 99% sure the kids are innocent, if there's even the tiniest doubt hold them out. If you lose, the committee will overlook it because they were shorthanded. If you win and it turns out there's some guilt, you're having to forfeit those wins later in the year.

Okie Light is smart on this.

I will be amazed if more schools don't hold kids out tonight. Just do it quietly. Why risk it? Even if you're 99% sure the kids are innocent, if there's even the tiniest doubt hold them out. If you lose, the committee will overlook it because they were shorthanded. If you win and it turns out there's some guilt, you're having to forfeit those wins later in the year.

Okie Light is smart on this.
They all know which players they bought. The decision process comes down to whether there’s a paper trail and if someone who may know about it has been interviewed by the FBI.

If I’m the FBI, I see which players were held out and I concentrate my efforts on those players.

If I’m the FBI, I see which players were held out and I concentrate my efforts on those players.

I think the FBI already has a pretty solid list of players who were involved, and those players know they were involved.

Wouldn't surprise me if the FBI has let them know they are on the list and now is giving guys a little time to twist in the wind before they start offering "let's make a deal" options.

When they bring the IRS into the discussion and start talking about Grandma losing that house they bought with the money they got these guys are going to flip like a catfish tossed on the bank.

In a shocking turn of events, Rick Pitino believes he is the victim and Louisville and Papa John were just looking for an excuse to fire him (because the Karen Sypher ordeal and the strippers weren't sufficient). There are some peak Pitino quotes in this one. Apparanty there is a big ESPN story coming out on Sunday about Louisville.

When Pitino walked out 35 minutes later, the Hall of Fame coach carried the conviction he was no longer wanted. Ninety days before the FBI made its first arrest in the bribery scandal that has engulfed college basketball, Pitino read the room as executioners awaiting an excuse.

Pitino recalls former university athletic director Tom Jurich telling him neither board chairman David Grissom nor vice chairman “Papa John” Schnatter wanted him there. He remembers Schnatter, participating via video conference, claiming the NCAA had charged Pitino’s basketball program with 17 Level 1 violations and mocking him for being present at the meeting.

“I went to my staff the next day,” he said. “I told them, ‘Don’t even think about jaywalking. These people don’t want me here. ... If there’s anything in question, you call compliance.’ I beat that into them.”

Pitino continues to say U of L surrendered too tamely to the NCAA and that it should have fought as aggressively as did the University of North Carolina in avoiding sanctions for an academic fraud case. He continues to assert his personal innocence of U of L’s infractions.

“I’ll stick by this statement and put my hand on the Bible,” he said, “I’ve never paid a player a nickel.”

Big surprise. Frank Martin is one the biggest cheaters out there. How else was he able to get Bill Walker and Michael Beasley to come to Manhattan, KS back in the day?

I used to think the exact same thing with same emotion. However, after SC's tournament run, I was talking to a friend who argued with me about Martin. I looked into it more, and sure, there's some shady **** around the guy. He most likely cheats/has cheated. The ****ing system is broken, and faulty. Frank Martin should not be viewed as the epitome of what's wrong. The guy really cares about his players, but seems shortsighted on what to do. I'm still not a Martin supporter, but I definitely don't demonize him as much as I used to.

I used to think the exact same thing with same emotion. However, after SC's tournament run, I was talking to a friend who argued with me about Martin. I looked into it more, and sure, there's some shady **** around the guy. He most likely cheats/has cheated. The ****ing system is broken, and faulty. Frank Martin should not be viewed as the epitome of what's wrong. The guy really cares about his players, but seems shortsighted on what to do. I'm still not a Martin supporter, but I definitely don't demonize him as much as I used to.
Martin got banned from coaching in Florida when he was in the HS ranks because he's such a cheater.

Bizarre indeed, care to explain?

No clue. I've just always loved Martin - even when he was an asshole in purple. I think it's his DGAF attitude (and the fact we owned his bitch ass our last year in the BXII) that worked. He's cheating, but he's not holier than thou like Pitino (either one really...). Same reason that Miller doesn't bother me whereas Enfield does.

No clue. I've just always loved Martin - even when he was an asshole in purple. I think it's his DGAF attitude (and the fact we owned his bitch ass our last year in the BXII) that worked. He's cheating, but he's not holier than thou like Pitino (either one really...). Same reason that Miller doesn't bother me whereas Enfield does.
It's a lot easier to like cheating assholes when you crush them.

Martin may very well be a cheater ... but I've always liked the way he shot down the argument of his hot shot point guard who said that his KjSU team in 2011 was better than the Buffs ... after CU had beaten them 3 times in one season.

Martin got banned from coaching in Florida when he was in the HS ranks because he's such a cheater.

Sure, and I probably should have written that Martin probably STILL cheats and has in the past (it's not a "maybe" that he has cheated). He's open about paying his players. He grew up in poor parts of Miami, coached HS for 15 years in those same tough neighborhoods, and he paid his players bc they didn't have anything. Was it purely altruistic - probably not. But based on what you can find (his reasoning why he did it, players talking about him), it doesn't seem like it was all for recruiting purposes either. I do not demonize Frank Martin - he's a cheater, sure. However, he strikes me as more as a hard-nosed, tough SOB that doesn't see the point in unnecessary rules. Did he break the rules - yes. Is he worthy of the indignation that people throw at him - after reading more about his days as a HS coach, I personally don't think so. Perhaps I'm wrong, but encourage more reading than seeing it as black and white.

Yeah, it's all personal preference and not sure pure logic holds, but after taking a second look at Martin, he doesn't bother me. Now, I've always hated Cal, for supposedly the same reasons (no regard for rules or willing to bend rules for personal gain). However, I find Cal to be self-promoting and full of himself; whereas Martin seems like he just wants to get something done and will punch you in your face (or the rules in his way) in order to do it. They both skirt the law, but I hate Cal more - not 100% justifiable.

Sure, and I probably should have written that Martin probably STILL cheats and has in the past (it's not a "maybe" that he has cheated). He's open about paying his players. He grew up in poor parts of Miami, coached HS for 15 years in those same tough neighborhoods, and he paid his players bc they didn't have anything. Was it purely altruistic - probably not. But based on what you can find (his reasoning why he did it, players talking about him), it doesn't seem like it was all for recruiting purposes either. I do not demonize Frank Martin - he's a cheater, sure. However, he strikes me as more as a hard-nosed, tough SOB that doesn't see the point in unnecessary rules. Did he break the rules - yes. Is he worthy of the indignation that people throw at him - after reading more about his days as a HS coach, I personally don't think so. Perhaps I'm wrong, but encourage more reading than seeing it as black and white.
You're basically saying that you are able to rationalize how dirty amateur basketball is and excuse people for cheating as long as it appears that their heart is somewhat in the right place.

Too many basketball fans and media folks are in this same camp. It's what perpetuates the system we have. Pretty much everyone plays along or at least shrugs and looks the other way, so things never change.

You're basically saying that you are able to rationalize how dirty amateur basketball is and excuse people for cheating as long as it appears that their heart is somewhat in the right place.

Too many basketball fans and media folks are in this same camp. It's what perpetuates the system we have. Pretty much everyone plays along or at least shrugs and looks the other way, so things never change.
it's our nature as Americans. this permeates across scenarios

Sure but how much are coaches getting paid nowadays? How much does CBS pay for the television rights to the NCAA Tourney? To speak nothing of regular season and conference tourney rights? The $'s and numbers involved help create the system we have more than any rationalization we may come up with.

Sure but how much are coaches getting paid nowadays? How much does CBS pay for the television rights to the NCAA Tourney? To speak nothing of regular season and conference tourney rights? The $'s and numbers involved help create the system we have more than any rationalization we may come up with.
I'm 100% in favor of paying a significant stipend to varsity athletes along with, in revenue sports, money to be held in trust for each year a player is under scholarship that is payable upon expiration of eligibility.

I'm 100% in favor of paying a significant stipend to varsity athletes along with, in revenue sports, money to be held in trust for each year a player is under scholarship that is payable upon expiration of eligibility.
As long as it's regulated..... The problem comes back around when Pitino is paying his guys $1M signing bonuses and CU has $100k for the whole team.
It helps the kids, but doesn't fix the cheating problem.

As long as it's regulated..... The problem comes back around when Pitino is paying his guys $1M signing bonuses and CU has $100k for the whole team.
It helps the kids, but doesn't fix the cheating problem.
Sure. Put regulations on it. Same for everyone. Good academic standing or whatever. But share the wealth with the players instead of just having a constant escalation of coach salaries.

Sure. Put regulations on it. Same for everyone. Good academic standing or whatever. But share the wealth with the players instead of just having a constant escalation of coach salaries.
This would exacerbate the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. They’d have to come up with a sliding scale of which conferences can pay what amounts. They wouldn’t be able to base it all on what G5 teams can pay, so the gap between P5 and G5 will get bigger.
Paying players makes sense to a degree, but schools like CSU that are hemorrhaging cash from their athletic departments won’t be able to pay as much as schools like Alabama or Ohio State that are printing money. CU falls squarely between those two extremes.

This would exacerbate the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. They’d have to come up with a sliding scale of which conferences can pay what amounts. They wouldn’t be able to base it all on what G5 teams can pay, so the gap between P5 and G5 will get bigger.
Paying players makes sense to a degree, but schools like CSU that are hemorrhaging cash from their athletic departments won’t be able to pay as much as schools like Alabama or Ohio State that are printing money. CU falls squarely between those two extremes.
CU has about 200 scholarship athletes, right? Let's say each gets a $10k a year stipend for being on a merit scholarship as an athlete. That's $2MM bucks. Then, figure that football and MBB are the 2 revenue sports where you'd have an amount put into escrow for each player and there are 100 of them. If we called it $25k per year, that's another $2.5MM. Any P5 school can afford a $5MM budget toward compensation of its athletes. Heck, if this was the pros we'd be talking about 50%-60% of the media revenue going to the athletes. Considering that the full cost of a scholarship currently is (using round numbers) $100k per athlete for the AD, that's $20MM of the AD budget. So we'd end up with around $25MM per year going toward the players and everything above that going to coaches, administrators and facilities. There's at least $30MM-$50MM above that at a place like CU. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
CU has about 200 scholarship athletes, right? Let's say each gets a $10k a year stipend for being on a merit scholarship as an athlete. That's $2MM bucks. Then, figure that football and MBB are the 2 revenue sports where you'd have an amount put into escrow for each player and there 100 of them. If we called it $25k per year, that's another $2.5MM. Any P5 school can afford a $5MM budget toward compensation of its athletes. Heck, if this was the pros we'd be talking about 50%-60% of the media revenue going to the athletes. Considering that the full cost of a scholarship currently is (using round numbers) $100k per athlete for the AD, that's $20MM of the AD budget. So we'd end up with around $25MM per year going toward the players and everything above that going to coaches, administrators and facilities. There's at least $30MM-$50MM above that at a place like CU. Seems fair to me.
yup. And while that would devastate the coach salary pool nationwide, I'm ok with that.

yup. And while that would devastate the coach salary pool nationwide, I'm ok with that.
Could actually work out with donations going to actual Athletic Departments instead of going to certain churches and other charities that serve as fronts for paying players, agents, etc. I have no illusions that CU doesn't at least play that game to some extent. Hell, I'm sure that is what some of the coaching staff compensation actually gets funneled into anyway. In some ways we'd be just cutting out the middlemen and making it a lot more efficient.

Back