What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We're about to find out how good Mac is

If you were the AD today, would you extend MacIntyre, and if so for how long? Back in Feb. 2014, the CU regents extended Mac one year (through the end of the 2018 season) after Mac went 4-8 in his first season.

The linked Camera article states: "MacIntyre's contract includes a paragraph about him meeting with the athletic director at the end of every calendar year to discuss extending his contract." With CU's hot start, I'm sure other schools and even NFL teams are trying to recruit Mac now, so it seems the AD should meet with Mac sooner than later.

People I know at San Jose State have suggested that Mac's dream is to be an SEC head coach, given his roots in SEC country. The last coach who left CU for a "promotion" was Rick Neuheisel, who left for Washington after the 1998 season. Right now Vanderbilt is headed towards a third straight losing season under Derek Mason, and if Mason gets fired, I'm sure Vandy will want to interview Mac, a former Vanderbilt player whose father also coached at Vanderbilt.

If you were the AD today, would you extend MacIntyre, and if so for how long? Back in Feb. 2014, the CU regents extended Mac one year (through the end of the 2018 season) after Mac went 4-8 in his first season.

The linked Camera article states: "MacIntyre's contract includes a paragraph about him meeting with the athletic director at the end of every calendar year to discuss extending his contract." With CU's hot start, I'm sure other schools and even NFL teams are trying to recruit Mac now, so it seems the AD should meet with Mac sooner than later.

People I know at San Jose State have suggested that Mac's dream is to be an SEC head coach, given his roots in SEC country. The last coach who left CU for a "promotion" was Rick Neuheisel, who left for Washington after the 1998 season. Right now Vanderbilt is headed towards a third straight losing season under Derek Mason, and if Mason gets fired, I'm sure Vandy will want to interview Mac, a former Vanderbilt player whose father also coached at Vanderbilt.
No way does Mac leave for Vanderbilt. I understand the emotional attachment, but it would be a major step down.

Vanderbilt also fired his father, and Mac left with him.

No doubt a SEC or ACC program would be a dream job type scenario for MM imo. He's happy here and it would take the right place to get him to leave. A nice problem to have indeed

Just make sure $ isn't the issue. Offer him what he deserves and then some. If he still wants to leave, nothing you can do.

I think bringing up Mac's record against ranked teams is really irrelevant. Both CU and SJSU were programs he turned around with taking diamond in the rough kids and turning them into consistent, confident football players. Even now, Colorado isn't even close to having the talent, depth and star power UCLA, USC, Stanford and some other schools in the PAC have. If anything it proves how fantastic he's been as a coach, taking less and turning it into something great.

Michigan and USC are good examples of Colorado losing because of talent and depth. Mac's staffs out coached both losses but they couldn't overcome the depth against Michigan and talent issues against USC. USC had no business winning that game but we just couldn't overcome their defense.
and a back-up Qb- albeit he is a really good back-up

what impresses me the most about HCMM is his ability to correct mistakes. If special teams has some blunders? the next week, they look improved. If the run game struggles? the next week it is improved, etc...

Not sure why an SEC job would be any better than CU...with Boulder, awesome facilities, great tradition and a P5 conference.

The only reason I see him leaving is for the NFL or if he likes building a program more than sustaining one. I don't see him leaving.

I don't see JMFL leaving either...his wife calls the shots it seems and he's said something like he'd stay in a place if it's a beautiful area (something like that).

And this is Chiv's dream job...he stays.

I see BL and Tumpkin as the 2 likely candidates leaving this year.

Not sure why an SEC job would be any better than CU...with Boulder, awesome facilities, great tradition and a P5 conference.

The only reason I see him leaving is for the NFL or if he likes building a program more than sustaining one. I don't see him leaving.

I don't see JMFL leaving either...his wife calls the shots it seems and he's said something like he'd stay in a place if it's a beautiful area (something like that).

Agreed. I think people are selling this program short. It is easy to do so based on the last 10 years, but historically Colorado has been a destination job. With the renewed commitment and a great AD, I think this is a pretty solid situation.

Is this a serious statement?

Is this a serious statement?
Yup. I'm not sure what an SEC program has over CU. More $ perhaps but Mac doesn't seem like a guy all about $. CU has a ton going for it.

Maybe SEC is a coach's dream job...Bielema left a solid program for a **** location like Fayetteville. I really don't know why it's soooo much better than any solid program in a P5 conference.

Doesn't the MacIntyre family (aside from his own nuclear family in Boulder) all live in Nashville?

Not sure why an SEC job would be any better than CU...with Boulder, awesome facilities, great tradition and a P5 conference......

I said this before, but I will say it again. This is only true so far as he isn't giving up $$ opportunities. They better give him a nice raise, or he's gone

Last edited:
Depends on the SEC job, right? Are UK, Vandy, Arky, Mizzou, South Carolina and Miss State better jobs than CU? If the money is the same, I don't see why CU isn't a better job going forward than almost half the SEC...

It does. But I think it is putting blinders on to ignore MM's southern roots. It may not take the "great" ACC or SEC job to lure him away.

Yup. I'm not sure what an SEC program has over CU. More $ perhaps but Mac doesn't seem like a guy all about $. CU has a ton going for it.

Maybe SEC is a coach's dream job...Bielema left a solid program for a **** location like Fayetteville. I really don't know why it's soooo much better than any solid program in a P5 conference.

Are you implying there are hardly any SEC jobs on par or better than CU?

One factor I was thinking would play in CU's favor was job security. But I'm not sure it does. This season would almost certainly buy him 2 more years at CU. He'd have that, probably more, regardless of where he went. In fact, he would probably absorb a clunker at 4-8 or worse more easily at a new place than at CU. Thinking about it, I actually think he gains job security if he leaves - as crazy as that sounds. If he is offered that security with more money in a location his family prefers, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if he moves on to the next rebuild challenge.

This has been an incredible season and Mac and his staff have done an amazing job - I'm not ashamed to say they have proven me wrong about them.

But we are about to find out how good Mac really is. We're playing meaningful games in late November and have the potential to finish the conference season against veteran coaches Leach, Wittingham, and Peterson standing between us and our goal. Those coaches are a combined 332-147 in their careers. Mac is new to this type of challenge - are we up to the task? I can't wait to find out.

The goal was to become bowl eligible and then get invited to a bowl. Which it appears is assured, so box checked. Anything after that is pure gravy and I will not move the goal posts so to speak at this point. Bottom line, Im not going to be disappointed if we dont make that "extra" game or if we lose it.

That said you make an outstanding point about Mac and his abilities as a coach if we do indeed beat all three of those guys. We were never even expecting to play the 3rd one you mention.

On a side note, its great that a lot of his guys are part of it or contributed to it. Makes it harder to say "well, he won with Embrees guys". He built a lot of this so I dont think its much of a fluke anymore.

Last edited:
It does. But I think it is putting blinders on to ignore MM's southern roots. It may not take the "great" ACC or SEC job to lure him away.
Oh for sure. I just don't buy the narrative that all SEC jobs >>>>>>> CU job just because SEC. I think that's all Buffan was implying (at least I hope so). MM's southern roots may come into play at some point when deciding if he wants to take another job, but I would hope they aren't that big of a deal to have him take over a lower tier job like Vandy, UK, Mizzou, or MSU. USC and Arky would be lateral moves, IMO, and any of the others would be clear upgrades.

The one thing that comes with almost all SEC jobs, that doesn't really come with CU, is expectation to recruit and win BIG immediately. RG may be changing those expectations at CU but they will never be as high as the upper half of the SEC, IMO.

First Bielema to Fayetteville and the Anderson to Corvallis. Pretty clear they both left because of Alvarez.

One factor I was thinking would play in CU's favor was job security. But I'm not sure it does. This season would almost certainly buy him 2 more years at CU. He'd have that, probably more, regardless of where he went. In fact, he would probably absorb a clunker at 4-8 or worse more easily at a new place than at CU. Thinking about it, I actually think he gains job security if he leaves - as crazy as that sounds. If he is offered that security with more money in a location his family prefers, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if he moves on to the next rebuild challenge.
If it were me (and it isn't) I would want to see all my hard work through to the final result.

I think Coach Mac will be here for awhile. His son is a redshirt soph; his sister just moved to CO for grad school; his family has moved around so much and might likely want to put down roots somewhere nice; the team and recruiting are doing well; the facilities are awesome; etc. He will be in a position to ask for more $$, but y'know, why would he leave in the near future?

I think Coach Mac will be here for awhile. His son is a redshirt soph; his sister just moved to CO for grad school; his family has moved around so much and might likely want to put down roots somewhere nice; the team and recruiting are doing well; the facilities are awesome; etc. He will be in a position to ask for more $$, but y'know, why would he leave in the near future?
That and, you know, actually win for a while. I think the pressure of this rebuilding got pretty hard on him.

That and, you know, actually win for a while. I think the pressure of this rebuilding got pretty hard on him.
That's the continuation as to what I mentioned.

You just spent all this effort and (clearly) unquestionable emotional investment? Why not enjoy the fruits of your labors and switch gears to focusing on sustained success rather than go through all that again?

I just feel like if we don't cheap out on him, he will take the money - for the purposes of:
1) Seeing his vision all the way through
2) Keeping his entire family rooted (for once)
3) Being there at the same school as his son (unlike his dad was able to do)

If he adds 5 years to his contract and retires at 60-ish with 15 million in his pocket and having done exceedingly well professionally without having jacked his family around at the end. That's saying something - a lot of something.

I think the best thing thing we have going for us when it comes to MM staying is Jay.

He might be able to rationalize it as a business decision, but he has noted that this is the most time he's spent with Jay in a long time, due of the demands of coaching. I think that might play a role.

Are there SEC jobs that might be nearly impossible to turn down...sure there are. However, the SEC is a pressure cooker as I'm sure Mac is aware given his time at Ole Miss. You have to be willing to get in the mud when it comes to recruiting and Nick Saban has personally gotten something like 10 coaches or more fired for their inability to compete with, let alone beat Bama. Given Saban hasn't given any indication he's looking to hang it up anytime soon, an SEC East job at a good school like Tennessee, Florida, or Georgia would be the way to go but I don't think any of those are likely to open up this year. If getting closer to the South actually is a priority to him, something in the ACC at a good to great program might actually be a bigger threat this year, especially if North Carolina or FSU opens up because Fedora or Jimbo move to LSU.

Back