What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What Happened to Us?

EB is gonna be a great HC somewhere someday. He is a great coach, motivator and recruiter. I just hope it's us that gets him.

And what do you base that statement on? Perhaps the recruiting thing can be proven, but the others? How does being a RB coach qualify you as a great coach? What has he done to turn a team around, or develop a gameplan, or show he has the ability to be a good playcaller, or manage all aspects of a program? Where is it?

And what do you base that statement on? Perhaps the recruiting thing can be proven, but the others? How does being a RB coach qualify you as a great coach? What has he done to turn a team around, or develop a gameplan, or show he has the ability to be a good playcaller, or manage all aspects of a program? Where is it?

Those things are called having a great staff. EB's leadership is enough to lead the team. He has done a lot in the college and NFL. He is a guy that focuses on fundementals. The main reason CU turned the season around in 1990 was because of EB's "coaching". He doesn't do what he did and we go into conference play 1-1-3

CU was 3-8 in 2000. the next year (EB's first year on the staff) we had a 10-3 record and a 9-4 record in 2002. EB had a great impact on those teams in terms of motivation. Once he left the program fell apart.

Whats this "potential" I keep hearing about, because by AB definition it would seem anybody that played or coached at CU prior to 1994 has "potential". Some of the dumbfux on here crowing about EB's potential wouldnt know anything about football that they didnt hear somewhere else. The great thing about our choices is that we dont have to worry about some other program snapping them up before we hire them. We are the only team looking at them for HC.

You mean like Houston Nutt?

CU was 3-8 in 2000. the next year (EB's first year on the staff) we had a 10-3 record and a 9-4 record in 2002. EB had a great impact on those teams in terms of motivation. Once he left the program fell apart.

yep, the year after he left, we don't even go to a bowl. EB means something.

Those things are called having a great staff. EB's leadership is enough to lead the team. He has done a lot in the college and NFL. He is a guy that focuses on fundementals. The main reason CU turned the season around in 1990 was because of EB's "coaching". He doesn't do what he did and we go into conference play 1-1-3

I'll agree that EB possesses good leadership skills, but HC is about a lot more than being a leader. There are things required that he hasnt demonstrated he can accomplish, yet. Hiring EB is the same as putting all your money on one color in roulette. It may pay off, but its a huge gamble.

I'll agree that EB possesses good leadership skills, but HC is about a lot more than being a leader. There are things required that he hasnt demonstrated he can accomplish, yet. Hiring EB is the same as putting all your money on one color in roulette. It may pay off, but its a huge gamble.

Which color, just out of curiosity, Mac?

that's fine you don't want to believe that and I respect that. I just think its impossible to not acknowledge that EB played a huge part in getting Barnett's program turned around. The record speaks for itself.

You're right it is a huge gamble. Just about anybody we bring in is a huge gamble, you just never know. However. Bieniemy has been on 2 college staffs and 1 NFL staff. Do you think he knows what a HC does by just being around a HC?

In the great words of Wesley Snipes: "Always bet on Black"

Last edited:
Joel Klatt sabatoged the process. He picked the next coach and tied the admins hands. Never Forget!

In the great words of Wesley Snipes: "Always bet on Black"

Headed for a little time in the pokey by the way.

When I started this thread it was with the intent of sharing that information. Well done everyone!

For Christ's sake, Kansas chose a somewhat proven D1 HC. Have we sunk below Kansas' football level? Their fanbase would probably think so, but I think a survey of college football fans outside of Kansas would disagree.

It's not like Turner Gill was/is Urban Meyer. He was a successful coach in the Mid-American Conference at Buffalo - and his team ****ed the dog this year. Even still- he came into a Kansas team that was rated as a top-30ish recruiting class from Rivals (how'd that work out?); and we're currently riding a 2011 class that I believe is somewhere around 77th with our measly 5 commits. Last in the Big 12 this year. To your point, the guy coming into this job would still be expected to jack up that recruiting class in the next few months into the top 20 - based on CU's legacy -and would be expected to put together a winning season in a new conference with an entirely new staff and a hyperactive fanbase that unfortunately consists of quite a few fair-weather fans with limited attention spans & a propensity for boorish behavior. Oh, and scandals ranging from hookers to nepotism. Sounds great, right?

With some other the other high profile jobs hovering out there [Michigan,#27 top recruiting class; Miami, #43, possibly LSU (#6), Georgia (#15)] the idea that we're among the most attractive programs in 2010 is just not a reality.

Hell, I'd like a super high profile coach too. But bringing back either one of these guys isn't a bad thing, given where we are today (i.e. 2010).

Just heard on 87.7 that it's a verbal offer to Embree with EB as OC. I can live with that.

I know I've posted this elsewhere. I'm firmly convinced that CU has baggage at the top that can not be ignored.

I hope all of you lived, experienced, and enjoyed the 89-94 period as I did because I have no confidence at this time that that I will ever see that again.

The rampant speculation is pretty dumb as well but its not without merit given the history. Who knows. Maybe we will be placed with whatever hire whenever its announced. Unfortunately the recruiting clock started ticking on Sunday.

I know I've posted this elsewhere. I'm firmly convinced that CU has baggage at the top that can not be ignored.

I hope all of you lived, experienced, and enjoyed the 89-94 period as I did because I have no confidence at this time that that I will ever see that again.

The rampant speculation is pretty dumb as well but its not without merit given the history. Who knows. Maybe we will be placed with whatever hire whenever its announced. Unfortunately the recruiting clock started ticking on Sunday.

might as well drop down to D2 if the top dogs feel this way

And back to the thread title..."What happened to us?"

Well, I'd say in the hour and a half since Wally posted this thread, we've turned into a bunch of little girls running around screaming
" OMG! OMG!"

EDIT: or maybe running around texting that.

And back to the thread title..."What happened to us?"

Well, I'd say in the hour and a half since Wally posted this thread, we've turned into a bunch of little girls running around screaming
" OMG! OMG!"

EDIT: or maybe running around texting that.

To be fair, it's been far, far longer than an hour-and-a-half for DBT.

With all due respect to the original poster, isn't this just sour grapes because you don't feel like you got what you wanted? Any coaching hire is high risk - I think we learned that the last time around. Rich Rod was a proven coach at WVU but not a fit at UM. Bob Stoops was not a proven head coach but has been great at OU. No matter who is hired there will be a faction who has concerns. A lot of people were energized by the Dan Hawkins hire but without winning that energy dissipates.

I was never a big fan of keeping it in the family but I do feel that both Embree and especially EB are credible candidates. You have to have a good fit and I think EB (or JE) would be a better fit than Miles, Leach or Bellotti. And it seemed that a lot of fans were opposed to Calhoun (I did not understand that). I am trying to get my arms around what you are disappointed in - they talked to Calhoun, Bellotti and Miles. The first two did not want to pursue the job and the 3rd one was way too expensive....

Back