What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the Big 12 Means To Hoops

2022-23 Net Ranks

1. Houston
9. Kansas
10. Arizona
17. Baylor
19. Kansas State
24. West Virginia
25. Iowa State
27. TCU
42. Oklahoma State
61. Arizona State
62. Texas Tech
63. Cincinnati
66. UCF
76. Colorado
80. Utah
84. BYU

That's a fvckton of Quad 1 games. In the conference tournament when they're all Neutral games, 13 teams would have been Quad 1 and 3 would have been Quad 2. It's not a stretch at all to say that CU can expect to play 20+ Quad 1 games per year.

@Goose's acid reflux just kicked up a few notches.

Another thing, with adding the 4 corner schools Vegas could be in play to host the conference tourney from time to time.

@Goose's acid reflux just kicked up a few notches.

Another thing, with adding the 4 corner schools Vegas could be in play to host the conference tourney from time to time.
One thing I wasn't able to appreciate in 2003, 2004, and 2006 was the metric ton of political capital Texas had to spend to move the conference tournament from KC to Dallas.

KU and ISU are not letting that happen again.

One thing I wasn't able to appreciate in 2003, 2004, and 2006 was the metric ton of political capital Texas had to spend to move the conference tournament from KC to Dallas.

KU and ISU are not letting that happen again.

We'll see. UofA may have some sway. Not to mention I would think Vegas is more attractive than Dallas for members not from the Great Plains. But since I'm usually wrong. I actually like Kansas City, just doesn't have to be there every year.

We'll see. UofA may have some sway. Not to mention I would think Vegas is more attractive than Dallas for members not from the Great Plains. But since I'm usually wrong. I actually like Kansas City, just doesn't have to be there every year.
Dallas and Denver are the easiest flights for fans.

Why not Denver? We're kind of in the middle.

Dallas and Denver are the easiest flights for fans.

Why not Denver? We're kind of in the middle.

But the altitude! /Old-Big-8 Whiners

Rumblin is probably right, it'd just be nice to see the location rotate every year.

I wrote an email to both President Saliman and Rick George following the announcement that we were moving to the Big12. In my email to RG, I specifically mentioned my concern about support for the BB programs and that I hope that the AD can use the new funds and exposure to boost booth programs. I would recommend all those that have some level of concern to do the same. May not make a difference but it doesn't hurt to be a squeaky wheel.

Last edited:
I wrote an email to both President Saliman and Rick George following the announcement that we were moving to the Big12. In my email to RG, I specifically mentioned my concern about support for the BB programs and that I hope that the AD can use the new funds and exposure to boost booth programs. I would recommend all those that have some level of concern to do the same. May not make a difference but it doesn't hurt to be a squeaky wheel.
Pretty sure he actually printed your email so that he could wipe his ass with it.

TL;DR: We're ****ed.

Longer version - we're REALLY ****ed. We have no recruiting hotbed to pull from. If we're going to go with one geographically, it'd be either Cali or Texas. In the P12, it was Cali which made sense because we have conference games and the footprint and all of that stupid BS. That's out the door with this move. So we're looking at Texas. We are, without a doubt, the least desirable hoops job in the new Big 12. We are in, arguably, the best hoops conference in the nation. And unfortunately, for some reason, the B12 doesn't get the respect that B1G hoops does, so going 7-11 in conference won't get you a tourney invite in the B12 like it will in the B1G. So we now have no recruiting niche nor do we look like a bubble team most years. So we're back to hoping that we catch lightning in a bottle, go on a hot run and can somehow manifest that into some sustained success. All on what will probably be the cheapest basketball budget in the entire conference.

I'm also very concerned about what this means for Tad. Tad has had breadcrumbs that he will retire too early instead of too late. How does he feel about this move? Does he want to completely change his recruiting strategy and everything else associated with this move? Or does he say "I have a multimillion dollar home in Boulder, my kids are out of the house, it's time to start living life and stop caring what 17 year olds and 35 year olds think"?

What does this mean for women's hoops? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not real smart there, but JR is finally getting this train going. Is the move going to help her? Hurt? I don't remember her necessarily hitting SoCal hard, so maybe she's ok recruiting wise. But talent level of the conference - how does that effect us?

And for the record, before any of the typical dumbasses pop in (and you know who you are) - if this move is the right one for football and Deion, it's the right move for the athletic department as a whole. Football is what makes the money - especially here. But there's going to be some collateral damage here. And it's going to hit hoops hard.

Enjoy this season. It should be a fun one - possibly even S16. But it may be our last chance for a bit until Deion gets things rolling and the AD starts printing stupid money off of football and they can finally come back to fix what they broke with basketball.
Tad gets it. Said his job has become a lot tougher.....but grinned in a "You bet your ass I'm excited about this" kind of way."

I'd kill to referee in this new Big 12. Holy ****.

Big 12 currently has 18 conference games. With 16 teams, that means 15 of those games would be single robin while three would be double robin. If we go to 18 teams like Gonzaga and UConn as basketball only members, that would be just one double robin. That is what excites me about super conferences despite concerns about what it does to the student athletes (just pay them more!).

Texas Hoops has always been an interesting one for me. They get treated like a fringe blue blood, but I'm not sure why? Sure, a bunch of tournament wins in the 90s and early aughts, but one modern final four and no national championships. Hell, other campuses in their system have a natty, and they don't.

Their 21st Century profile is more or less Oregon. I mean, who the hell cares about Texas basketball?

I read this thread and wonder, what are some of the fans' expectations for MBB. I always chuckle when some fans claim we are now a basketball school. CU has been more competitive in MBB in the past decade but they are aways from calling themselves a BB School. I don't fully understand the concern with going to the Big 12. This is Div 1 basketball and you have to compete whatever conference you play. CU's challenge is and always has been recruiting. We are not located in a BB hotbed so we have to out recruit other schools. Nor our we a blue blood program that players grow up wanting to play for.

I think CU is on the right track but we have to consistently make the NCAA tourney - like at an +50% rate to become a primary destination school for top recruits. Last few recruiting classes have been encouraging but it has to translate to a better than average performance on the Court. The Big 12 make help as I think the conference is going to promote basketball better.

When I look at CU basketball I don't see a lot of built-in advantages. If I'm a top basketball recruit the only reason I want to come to Colorado is to play for Tad and his staff and that's because Tad spent years to build up a reputation of putting kids in the league, winning more games than the recruiting rankings would predict, establishing connections with NBA scouts, and cementing himself as a fixture in USA basketball. First let's hope that Tad stays for another decade. In the likely event that Tad decides retirement sounds nice let's hope Tad has thought through his succession plan.

When I look at CU basketball I don't see a lot of built-in advantages. If I'm a top basketball recruit the only reason I want to come to Colorado is to play for Tad and his staff and that's because Tad spent years to build up a reputation of putting kids in the league, winning more games than the recruiting rankings would predict, establishing connections with NBA scouts, and cementing himself as a fixture in USA basketball. First let's hope that Tad stays for another decade. In the likely event that Tad decides retirement sounds nice let's hope Tad has thought through his succession plan.

Gonzaga has about as many built in advantages, probably less. I'm not expecting CU to be on the Zags level, I just don't buy the excuse anymore. If the school committed to buildiing a program that's consistently ranked and making the Dance most years it could absolutely happen, and I guarantee we'd have some of the better attendance numbers in country as well.

Gonzaga has about as many built in advantages, probably less. I'm not expecting CU to be on the Zags level, I just don't buy the excuse anymore. If the school committed to buildiing a program that's consistently ranked and making the Dance most years it could absolutely happen, and I guarantee we'd have some of the better attendance numbers in country as well.
The bold is exactly why I'm nervous.

The bold is exactly why I'm nervous.

high quality remake GIF

What @Goose said. Gonzaga has coach Few who is even more of a unicorn than Tad. Also, Gonzaga and Big East schools are not really comparable because they don't have football programs. Even though that means less money overall for the athletic programs, those schools pour all their attention and resources into basketball.

Gonzaga, beyond Few, was all hands on deck with boosters and university leadership to use the MBB program to save the university from closure. Resources like a private jet for scouting & recruiting. It's a different deal.

Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, Phoenix/Vegas could be a nice rotation.
Kansas City does a great job hosting. They have been doing it for years, and it's by far the best of the conference tournaments in terms of buzz and attendance. The whole city makes the Big 12 the event. I don't think it will be like that anyplace else. The Big 12 tried outside Kansas City before, Tulsa, but it wasn't the same. Vegas has other stuff going on, but it is a destination place so it would work from time to time. Plus, it would placate the new additions, particularly Arizona.

Kansas City does a great job hosting. They have been doing it for years, and it's by far the best of the conference tournaments in terms of buzz and attendance. The whole city makes the Big 12 the event. I don't think it will be like that anyplace else. The Big 12 tried outside Kansas City before, Tulsa, but it wasn't the same. Vegas has other stuff going on, but it is a destination place so it would work from time to time. Plus, it would placate the new additions, particularly Arizona.
Sorry, but KC won't hold a candle to Vegas. The options outside of basketball in KC are hot garbage, and not centrally located with the arena.

Will make an "absolute must attend every year" to a "maybe in years where we are favored to make it past round 2"

Sorry, but KC won't hold a candle to Vegas. The options outside of basketball in KC are hot garbage, and not centrally located with the arena.

Will make an "absolute must attend every year" to a "maybe in years where we are favored to make it past round 2"
I agree with this. Under the new team structure the Big 12 absolutely HAS TO rotate the conference tournament. KU can't get home games every fricken year. Denver, KC, Orlando, Dallas, and Phoenix would be a nice rotation.

Back