What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the Big 12 Means To Hoops

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
TL;DR: We're ****ed.

Longer version - we're REALLY ****ed. We have no recruiting hotbed to pull from. If we're going to go with one geographically, it'd be either Cali or Texas. In the P12, it was Cali which made sense because we have conference games and the footprint and all of that stupid BS. That's out the door with this move. So we're looking at Texas. We are, without a doubt, the least desirable hoops job in the new Big 12. We are in, arguably, the best hoops conference in the nation. And unfortunately, for some reason, the B12 doesn't get the respect that B1G hoops does, so going 7-11 in conference won't get you a tourney invite in the B12 like it will in the B1G. So we now have no recruiting niche nor do we look like a bubble team most years. So we're back to hoping that we catch lightning in a bottle, go on a hot run and can somehow manifest that into some sustained success. All on what will probably be the cheapest basketball budget in the entire conference.

I'm also very concerned about what this means for Tad. Tad has had breadcrumbs that he will retire too early instead of too late. How does he feel about this move? Does he want to completely change his recruiting strategy and everything else associated with this move? Or does he say "I have a multimillion dollar home in Boulder, my kids are out of the house, it's time to start living life and stop caring what 17 year olds and 35 year olds think"?

What does this mean for women's hoops? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not real smart there, but JR is finally getting this train going. Is the move going to help her? Hurt? I don't remember her necessarily hitting SoCal hard, so maybe she's ok recruiting wise. But talent level of the conference - how does that effect us?

And for the record, before any of the typical dumbasses pop in (and you know who you are) - if this move is the right one for football and Deion, it's the right move for the athletic department as a whole. Football is what makes the money - especially here. But there's going to be some collateral damage here. And it's going to hit hoops hard.

Enjoy this season. It should be a fun one - possibly even S16. But it may be our last chance for a bit until Deion gets things rolling and the AD starts printing stupid money off of football and they can finally come back to fix what they broke with basketball.

I'm also very concerned about what this means for Tad. Tad has had breadcrumbs that he will retire too early instead of too late.

If by breadcrumbs you mean Tad has been telling people at the BCC that he was retiring after the 2022 recruiting class graduates then yeah.

For men's hoops, this either forces CU to elevate and it takes things where we've always hoped with support or CU will maintain status quo on support and having a winning season will represent a great year.

It will be harder to finish in the top half of the Big 12. On the other hand, the PAC12 has so little respect that there are often only 2-3 tourney invites, despite the fact that the PAC12 consistently pumps out NBA talent.
I have no idea how this will affect recruiting or Tad's tenure. But all things equal I'd rather be in the best basketball conference in the country and have those teams try to win games in Boulder. Except Kansas, their fans should stay in Kansas.

Being in a much better basketball conference should only be better for the program. But I get it that if the AD doesn't put more emphasis on basketball then it will only make things harder for the program to be successful. It's ridiculous that the B1G gets more respect than the Big 12 especially with the B1G's recent failures in the tournament combined with the fact that 2023 was the first year that the Big 12 regular season champion didn't play in the national championship game since 2018 and has 2 recent titles.

The only thing giving me slight hope

Kelvin Sampson is 67-Houston does have a great history and huge talent pool but who replaces him

Jerome Tang-how quickly does he get poached by a top flight job and who replaces him, K state has good history but less tough talent pool too

West Virginia-who is there coach post Huggins

Think we can compete with BYU, UCF, Oklahoma schools

Kansas, Baylor, Texas will always be a problem but with a good coach could we be in that next tier with Tad? I have outside hope without him think we can go back to the bottom with the wrong hire.

Also I posted this in the recruiting thread and Texas is the answer it’s where we pulled Dre.

We are heavily recruiting a bunch of 24s from Texas. Robert Miller, Doryan Ochuckwya, etc.

@Goose you are right though football has to get relevant so we can make some $$ to support other programs. Need to replace Tad to go out with a bang with great seasons and tourney play to make this seem more attractive to the next coach.

The only thing giving me slight hope

Kelvin Sampson is 67-Houston does have a great history and huge talent pool but who replaces him

Jerome Tang-how quickly does he get poached by a top flight job and who replaces him, K state has good history but less tough talent pool too

West Virginia-who is there coach post Huggins

Think we can compete with BYU, UCF, Oklahoma schools

Kansas, Baylor, Texas will always be a problem but with a good coach could we be in that next tier with Tad? I have outside hope without him think we can go back to the bottom with the wrong hire.

Also I posted this in the recruiting thread and Texas is the answer it’s where we pulled Dre.

We are heavily recruiting a bunch of 24s from Texas. Robert Miller, Doryan Ochuckwya, etc.

@Goose you are right though football has to get relevant so we can make some $$ to support other programs. Need to replace Tad to go out with a bang with great seasons and tourney play to make this seem more attractive to the next coach.
Institutional supports. All of those places you named have it. We don’t right now. Maybe someday but unlikely.

Institutional supports. All of those places you named have it. We don’t right now. Maybe someday but unlikely.
Utah, Washington, USC, Wazzu, and Oregon all have more than us right now and we are right there or above them

Damn- glancing through the past 10 recruiting classes (including the incoming one), @Goose appears to be completely right about recruiting. Tad's pulled 9 players from places no longer in conference footprint (AZ and CA), and only 2 from places now in footprint (Guzonjic and Parquet, both from TX). Moreover, a majority of the most highlly-rated recruits have been from AZ and CA.

I think this hurts WBB less given that JR seems to recruit more nationally, but I admit to being a casual fan at best.

What the Big12 means for hoops?

Absolutely Nothing. It’s irrelevant in all of this. There’s no money, no relevance for basketball in any of this.

For me, it means I will get to see the WBB team play in person every season. I didn't attend one Pac 12 away game. I used to attend lots of Big 8 and 12 away games. I can do that from here as long as I am able to drive long distances.

If not Iowa State, I can go to Kansas and Kansas State. JR has made the WBB team relevant and the Big 12 has some excellent WBB's programs.

Sorry Oklahoma won't be there but thrilled that Kim Mulkey is gone. **** Baylor

I respect Goose's opinions on hoops, but I'm. Not currently seeing it the same way.

I see the overall hoops competition improving with the move to the XII. Better opponents means more coverage and that should increase our brand.

Some if the additional money should flow down to the bb team. That can only help.

I don't see the recruiting changing.
  • CO doesn't produce bb recruits -- that doesn't change whether we're in the XII or PAC
  • The Pac appears to be on a track to no longer be considered one of the Big 6. This seemingly would put CU in play for more recruits from CA and WA, especially if UW, Cal and Stanford don't find a B6 landing spot
  • Sanders has shown in football that geography isn't important when you have an effective national strategy. I'm not suggesting Boyle can immediately do that as effectively, but I'd like to think he can learn from his colleague.

Last edited:
TL;DR: We're ****ed.

Longer version - we're REALLY ****ed. We have no recruiting hotbed to pull from. If we're going to go with one geographically, it'd be either Cali or Texas. In the P12, it was Cali which made sense because we have conference games and the footprint and all of that stupid BS. That's out the door with this move. So we're looking at Texas. We are, without a doubt, the least desirable hoops job in the new Big 12. We are in, arguably, the best hoops conference in the nation. And unfortunately, for some reason, the B12 doesn't get the respect that B1G hoops does, so going 7-11 in conference won't get you a tourney invite in the B12 like it will in the B1G. So we now have no recruiting niche nor do we look like a bubble team most years. So we're back to hoping that we catch lightning in a bottle, go on a hot run and can somehow manifest that into some sustained success. All on what will probably be the cheapest basketball budget in the entire conference.

I'm also very concerned about what this means for Tad. Tad has had breadcrumbs that he will retire too early instead of too late. How does he feel about this move? Does he want to completely change his recruiting strategy and everything else associated with this move? Or does he say "I have a multimillion dollar home in Boulder, my kids are out of the house, it's time to start living life and stop caring what 17 year olds and 35 year olds think"?

What does this mean for women's hoops? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not real smart there, but JR is finally getting this train going. Is the move going to help her? Hurt? I don't remember her necessarily hitting SoCal hard, so maybe she's ok recruiting wise. But talent level of the conference - how does that effect us?

And for the record, before any of the typical dumbasses pop in (and you know who you are) - if this move is the right one for football and Deion, it's the right move for the athletic department as a whole. Football is what makes the money - especially here. But there's going to be some collateral damage here. And it's going to hit hoops hard.

Enjoy this season. It should be a fun one - possibly even S16. But it may be our last chance for a bit until Deion gets things rolling and the AD starts printing stupid money off of football and they can finally come back to fix what they broke with basketball.

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

We're going from the worst of the Power 6 basketball leagues to the best.

That's an opportunity to elevate, but the Will has to be there. That's what I question about CU.

I think what CU needs to do is have 3 Associate Athletic Directors. One for football, one for court sports, and one for field sports. The person in RG's position should be a CEO focused on big picture and navigating the politics of university and booster support while managing his AADs (including others in charge of things like licensing & events).

Back