What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What things can CU do to raise its football prestige?

Decided to pull a Hokie instead of starting a new thread.

With the current move and the Coach Prime Effect, there may very well be the revenue and the booster excitement to drive fundraising (possibly even attracting a stadium sponsor to invest in the stadium)... making it so CU could finally move on the West Side/ Balch project.

Do you want to see this happen soon or would you wait?

What changes would you like to see to 100 year old Folsom Stadium?

Do you think for CU's prestige (this thread's title) it would make sense to go to 64k+ capacity to have the largest capacity in the Big 12 (unless UDub joins, which is at 70k)?
Right now I'd much rather earmark any extra $$ to a pool for coaching staff raises. The longer we can keep CP, the better.

My suggestion is to do something no other stadium has done, or would ever dream to do.

Every stadium has a facilities issue. It is the bathroom. I say dedicate every existing one to ladies, and build one giant facility for men that begins at section 104 and wraps all the around the horseshoe to 119 and place in it one continuous horseshoe trough, the largest and most unique of its kind in the world.
That's thinking outside the trough!

Everyday that I used to walk past Folsom I tried to picture adding a second tier and closing the horseshoe. I'm no engineer so I don't know if that's possible, but it always looked like there was enough room on the concourse outside the stadium that you could make it work. In addition to having more seats, I would think the additional height and closing in the stadium would increase the field-level noise.

Make those engineers (including my brother) repay the university for having the ugliest building on campus ... and I don't care how much BS they spout that it's somehow a perfectly laid out building plan.

My priorities if there are resources beyond current levels:

1. Fully fund organizational infrastructures for all programs (fb, mbb, wbb, etc by revenue potential priorities).
2. Folsom remodel.
3. Facilities for other sports & events.
4. Adding sports to make the spring lineup more engaging with fans & boosters.

My suggestion is to do something no other stadium has done, or would ever dream to do.

Every stadium has a facilities issue. It is the bathroom. I say dedicate every existing one to the ladies, and build one giant facility for men that begins at section 104 and wraps all the around the horseshoe to 119 and place in it one continuous horseshoe trough, the largest and most unique of its kind in the world.
It still wouldnt be long enough for me :unsure:

Every stadium has a facilities issue. It is the bathroom. I say dedicate every existing one to the ladies, and build one giant facility for men that begins at section 104 and wraps all the around the horseshoe to 119 and place in it one continuous horseshoe trough, the largest and most unique of its kind in the world.
I can see Liver sponsoring that tub because he is a "big d!ck"

15 would be better
that would be better.... me forgot the P12 Championship game.... Because that is not the goal... we should take that week off... you know... kinda let second place in the south enjoy such small pickens....

Obviously, winning a lot of games and doing it consistently over a number of seasons is #1 by a mile.

But with that, what actions need to be taken to get it there?

As I think about it, I think the big thing is having a big time stadium that we fill.

I believe that what RG has been doing with scheduling will pay major dividends with filling Folsom at a higher level. Hell, I looked into traveling back for the Nebraska game and the only options started at $450 a seat. I understand that's a unicorn due to the rivalry and the demand for tix with the Nub fans on top of the appeal of the game to CU fans. But playing schools in the future like KSU, Mizzou, Texas A&M and others also moves that needle in significant ways. Also, when we play a G5 team, making it against an opponent that draws interest (CSU or AFA) moves the needle.

But the next, most vital thing on this: remodeling the west side of the stadium with increased capacity.

CU has got to have a big time stadium that shows recruits and fans that it is among those 25 or so programs that legitimately compete for championships. That also means all the upgrades that we see in the best stadiums. Capacity in the 65k range by enclosing the NW corner and adding a 200 level along with a lot of premium seating and a team store/ restaurant.

The other part of this beyond the stadium is taking the game day experience to the next level. The tailgate area around the IPF is a huge improvement, particularly with bringing in the tents and the rentals. That success has been tremendous. The next level to this, though, is redeveloping the area around Boulder Creek into a tailgating area. We need to move our field sports down there with stadiums & parking for soccer and lacrosse. Pre-game on the creek has got to become a thing and it could become one of the top college game day events on any campus in America.

With that, the plans for a CU conference center and hotel on the Creek at Broadway could also kick things up in a big way by expanding game day activities that direction.
I think getting off the P12N/CBSS is step one.

everything GIF

Everyday that I used to walk past Folsom I tried to picture adding a second tier and closing the horseshoe. I'm no engineer so I don't know if that's possible, but it always looked like there was enough room on the concourse outside the stadium that you could make it work. In addition to having more seats, I would think the additional height and closing in the stadium would increase the field-level noise.

Make those engineers (including my brother) repay the university for having the ugliest building on campus ... and I don't care how much BS they spout that it's somehow a perfectly laid out building plan.
I made this back in March for another thread. That tiny existing screen looks so small time. Replace that first. Add the seating when we're sure the long term demand will be there as Yak said.

qITkXmL.jpg

If necessary, a little bit of Colorado Ave could pass under the stadium. They put Stout and the light rail right through the Convention Center.
Convention Center Stout.png

I made this back in March for another thread. That tiny existing screen looks so small time. Replace that first. Add the seating when we're sure the long term demand will be there as Yak said.

qITkXmL.jpg

If necessary, a little bit of Colorado Ave could pass under the stadium. They put Stout and the light rail right through the Convention Center.
View attachment 62548
Crazy how a scoreboard that's about as wide as the field can look inadequate.

Kind of like how things have changed with home television sets. In the 80s, you were king of neighborhood watch parties if you had a 40" screen in your living room. Today I question whether a 55" is adequate for my bedroom. 😂

Kind of like how things have changed with home television sets. In the 80s, you were king of neighborhood watch parties if you had a 40" screen in your living room. Today I question whether a 55" is adequate for my bedroom. 😂
It’s not

Nikita has lots of comments on how many inches are adequate in your bedroom. Might want to ask her.

qITkXmL.jpg

View attachment 62548
Did you photoshop a Nintendo switch into a picture of Folsom?

This has been posted before, but the trend in spectator sports is more premium seating rather than more seats.

On a shoe string budget, I’d do it this way:

1) Take the seats between the 30’s and give them seat backs at double the price. You probably lose 10% of your seating capacity in those sections in the process.
2) Then use that revenue stream as your seed money to knock down Balch and the Flatirons Club to create next generation club seating on the West side. You could potentially add more capacity than the Flatirons Club had previously.

My ego would feel better if somehow our stadium capacity was still over 50k when the dust settles, but honestly, if it ultimately delivered more revenue to the program, I don’t really care.

This has been posted before, but the trend in spectator sports is more premium seating rather than more seats.

On a shoe string budget, I’d do it this way:

1) Take the seats between the 30’s and give them seat backs at double the price. You probably lose 10% of your seating capacity in those sections in the process.
2) Then use that revenue stream as your seed money to knock down Balch and the Flatirons Club to create next generation club seating on the West side. You could potentially add more capacity than the Flatirons Club had previously.

My ego would feel better if somehow our stadium capacity was still over 50k when the dust settles, but honestly, if it ultimately delivered more revenue to the program, I don’t really care.
This.

"Pack as many people onto the bleachers as we can" or "sell as many tickets are we can" is no longer the model.

I think there's a recognition that the "competition" isn't another stadium, but rather the couch and big screen at home, with beer 20 feet away, and a bathroom that never has a line.

People are also, well, bigger than they used to be (even in Boulder), and the "personal space" that individuals want/demand has meaningfully increased (even before the pandemic).

People don't tolerate being crowded into the same space that they did in the 50s/60s.

I think it's a 2-part. Yes, reduce capacity in some sections to improve experience and make it really nice at a premium ticket price.

But also add capacity with that NW corner and an upper west level. Affordable seating so our atmosphere doesn't become what I saw at Stanford (chairbacks everywhere and an amazing speaker system that blasted fake crowd noise). Folsom should be able to welcome fans who feel priced out of going to Broncos games. Atmosphere for college games means a large student section, young alums at a discount, families, and fans of all income levels. In fact, you need the cheap seats packed to sell the premium seats because while wealthy ticket buyers may not want to sit on bleachers they also aren't going to pay a premium to go to a football game with a wine & cheese crowd energy level.

Back