What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What things can CU do to raise its football prestige?

With everything shifting towards people wanting to stay home on their couch to watch games, I think expanding the stadium would be a poor allocation of money. Instead of that, renovate the stadium to have nicer seats (im sure people would prefer a baseball stadium style seat over the bleachers that shift,) a more streamlined concessions area (takes 5 hours to get anything), and repair the aesthetic (get rid of the rust, update the bathrooms). I think making the stadium nicer would go a long ways. Increasing capacity in a market where less and less people want to go to games would be a problem in my mind.

Creating a large pool of money for assistants would be huge too. We've seen how big of a difference these new assistants have made already, imagine a staff where we had multiple elite recruiters and positions coaches (see Alabama or Oregon, the only way to beat them is to get higher level recruits that are coached well.)

Expanding the overall tailgate experience would be beneficial as well. Average students are not very interested in the Buffs football, this is reflected in the price of a season pass. If you look at UW-Madison, their season tickets are thousands of dollars due to demand- we simply don't have that. If there were a lot of large tailgate parties, students would be more inclined to go I think.

I think we have done about as well as we can with our new HC and facilities. The locker room is top notch and our medical facilities are as nice as they are going to get. They even have a dedicated practice facility.

The same could be said for Seattle. The city is obsessed with the Seahawks, and there is a plétora of outdoor activities to do on a nice Fall day. Also, Seattle like Denver, is a city of transplants with no allegiance to the local Universities. UW still fills their stadium. I am sure it has a lot to do with the recent on the field success, but UW also has an infinitely better tailgate atmosphere due to being on the water.

Washington university is awesome all around. Great area.

People railing against stadium expansion seem to be ignoring the fact that nobody is actually advocating for stadium expansion right now.

*Until he abruptly retires three years in.
Fair, but I'm also very confident that hiring Nick Saban to CU would be the fastest possible route to pretty big time success.

I get what you're saying in your response to RM, but I don't see how you can say hiring one of these guys (as RM suggested) isn't the fastest way to big time success.

Fair, but I'm also very confident that hiring Nick Saban to CU would be the fastest possible route to pretty big time success.

I get what you're saying in your response to RM, but I don't see how you can say hiring one of these guys (as RM suggested) isn't the fastest way to big time success.

Because you are only counting successes. It is a roll of the dice for a non-blueblood.

Maybe have them practice on the Business field and then their march over to the stadium becomes part of the tail gaiting festivities.
As a former member of the GBMB, I am going to say no. Business school doesn't have the storage or changing facilities that Imig has, and the engineering school and business school are often locked on weekends.

Their march to the stadium is already part of the tailgating festivities. They march around Farrand through the tailgating spots directly to the north, loop down past the alumni tailgate area, and into the stadium.

As a former member of the GBMB, I am going to say no. Business school doesn't have the storage or changing facilities that Imig has, and the engineering school and business school are often locked on weekends.

Their march to the stadium is already part of the tailgating festivities. They march around Farrand through the tailgating spots directly to the north, loop down past the alumni tailgate area, and into the stadium.
Figure out the logistics of moving all their **** to one of those fields that morning, not storing it there. I'm certain this can be figured out. Or not, but Farrand is a complete waste of space right now when it comes to tailgaiting.

Figure out the logistics of moving all their **** to one of those fields that morning, not storing it there. I'm certain this can be figured out. Or not, but Farrand is a complete waste of space right now when it comes to tailgaiting.
They have to practice at other locations when there is weather that has made Farrand unusable. It is a HUGE pain in the ass to get all the equipment over to those other areas. It isn't just instruments and uniforms. Before practice you have to have the field painted. Then for practice you need sound systems, scissor lifts, ladders,yard markers, water jugs, etc. Also, during rehearsal, if it starts to rain or snow, they move to the indoor rehearsal spaces only available in Imig.

I understand what you are saying about using Farrand for tailgating, I just know it won't work as easily for the band as you think it would.

Last edited:
Bring in a top-level head coach with a proven track record to show the people of Denver, state of Colorado and nationally that the Buffs take football seriously. Is it feasible? Probably not, but so are the majority of the answers on this discussion thus far.

You want to be considered a big boy, you had better start ponying up the $'s to coaches and assistant coaches and have plans in place when those coaches go to other programs. No more coaches with "potential!" Bring in the proven winner at a Big Boy conference like Urban or Stoops. People who have won Natty's and recruit at the highest levels. Yes, they would not like the PC police in Boulder or the Regents meddling but if we win. IF you pick the right guy, the wins and recruiting will finally pick up and the money will come, the people will come and the CU brand will be as a top institution where professors want to teach and kids want to be associates with.

That being said, I have no idea about Tucker can coach and we as fans can talk about how the culture is changing but I have been seeiing the same thing since Dan Hawkins showed up over ten years ago and nothing has changed, so why would it now? He can talk about no excuses and recruit at the highest level etc... but until I see W's, I am cautious.

So you would have preferred that we hire Les Miles. He has a proven track record as top level coach with top 10 finishes and a name that is known to most college football fans.

I would much rather at this point have Mel Tucker who is on the front end of his head coaching career instead of the end, who has been paying full attention to the trends and patterns of the 2019 game, who is fully engaged in recruiting top quality players.

Every coaching hire is a risk. I think our hire has a lot more chance of giving us the reward.

I actually strongly disagree hiring a proven, top-level coach is the best way to get really good.

But you still can use them as a cover for the actual guy you hire...Les Miles certainly didn't mind that. He probably gets freeze dried grass from Folsom Field in the mail for life.

They have to practice at other locations when their is weather that has made Farrand unusable. It is a HUGE pain in the ass to get all the equipment over to those other areas. It isn't just instruments and uniforms. Before practice you have to have the field painted. Then for practice you need sound systems, scissor lifts, ladders,yard markers, water jugs, etc. Also, during rehearsal, if it starts to rain or snow, they move to the indoor rehearsal spaces only available in Imig.

I understand what you are saying about using Farrand for tailgating, I just know it won't work as easily for the band as you think it would be.
I completely understand everything you're saying, and I mean no disrespect if any of this comes off as downplaying the GBMB, but getting the resources to make the logistics of moving the band practice 6 times a year feasible should be the easiest task being discussed in this thread about making the game day experience better.

I completely understand everything you're saying, and I mean no disrespect if any of this comes off as downplaying the GBMB, but getting the resources to make the logistics of moving the band practice 6 times a year feasible should be the easiest task being discussed in this thread about making the game day experience better.
Why not tailgate on the business field and make everyone happy? All the folks that park in the parking garage behind the Engineering Center, could easily tailgate on the Business Field.

I admit that I’d enjoy tailgating ON Farrand Field as opposed to right next to it.

Also have the issue of parking cars on the grass. On balance, I like your idea. There is potential at that spot for a beer garden, music, etc.

Why not tailgate on the business field and make everyone happy? All the folks that park in the parking garage behind the Engineering Center, could easily tailgate on the Business Field.
That could also work, but my idea was centered around having a big time, centralized tailgaiting area on campus that would all be right next to the stadium, rather than sporadically in every parking lot across campus. Using Farrand would fit perfectly with the proximity to the parking lots and other grassy areas/Franklin Field being used.

That could also work, but my idea was centered around having a big time, centralized tailgaiting area on campus that would all be right next to the stadium, rather than sporadically in every parking lot across campus. Using Farrand would fit perfectly with the proximity to the parking lots and other grassy areas/Franklin Field being used.
The only parking lots at Farrand are the few spots around the perimeter. I suppose there is a lot behind Wardenburg, but thats about it.

Are you thinking about the quad to the south of the physics and earth sciences buildings? Because that should absolutely be more tailgating.

I admit that I’d enjoy tailgating ON Farrand Field as opposed to right next to it.

Also have the issue of parking cars on the grass. On balance, I like your idea. There is potential at that spot for a beer garden, music, etc.
I think they could say no to cars on the grass, but set up the easy-up tents and provide coolers/grills/food/beer/beverages and charge a premium fee to have a designated/reserved spot like they do on Franklin. Line the entire outside of Farrand with the tents for the reserved spots, and put something in the center like a music booth/games/concessions/bar/etc. The parking area where tailgaiting currently goes on around Farrand would remain the same but that area would be allsome.

The only parking lots at Farrand are the few spots around the perimeter. I suppose there is a lot behind Wardenburg, but thats about it.

Are you thinking about the quad to the south of the physics and earth sciences buildings? Because that should absolutely be more tailgating.
The parking area where Sackygate takes place behind Libby/Baker is where I'm referring to. That's a pretty good tailgaiting area, but it sits right next to an empty Farrand Field.

I feel like the Buff Club puts tailgate activities in the grassy area to the South of Duane and the parking lot South of Benson is also used for a lot of tailgaiting. That's why making Farrand Field a big time place to be like Franklin currently is, would be a great idea, IMO and would really create a centralized pregame area that is very close to the stadium.

My only issue with this is the expense. It would jack up prices pretty significantly for a spot that just had a 200% or so hike this year. I suppose if they could leave the spots around the edge for more traditional tailgating and just add spots on the field, that would work. Actually, that would be pretty damn cool. Like our own version of the Grove, only with the Flatirons as a backdrop.

Ok, I’m on board.

My only issue with this is the expense. It would jack up prices pretty significantly for a spot that just had a 200% or so hike this year. I suppose if they could leave the spots around the edge for more traditional tailgating and just add spots on the field, that would work. Actually, that would be pretty damn cool. Like our own version of the Grove, only with the Flatirons as a backdrop.

Ok, I’m on board.
Exactly. Creating an atmosphere like that should ultimately be the goal

So you would have preferred that we hire Les Miles. He has a proven track record as top level coach with top 10 finishes and a name that is known to most college football fans.

I would much rather at this point have Mel Tucker who is on the front end of his head coaching career instead of the end, who has been paying full attention to the trends and patterns of the 2019 game, who is fully engaged in recruiting top quality players.

Every coaching hire is a risk. I think our hire has a lot more chance of giving us the reward.

Wasn't there a poster named Ron Mexico on the CSU version of netbuffs?

Because you are only counting successes. It is a roll of the dice for a non-blueblood.
See Nick Saban at Michigan State as proof for it being a roll of the dice. They were not BCS contenders year in and year out with arguably the greatest coach we have ever seen.

Also, the AD needs to do some Hispanic outreach. Chicanos and Mexicans in Denver love the Broncos, so why not try to steal some fans? Have some social media posts in Spanish, designate 1 game as the "Hispanic heritage" night, showoff the family friendly atmosphere of gameday for a fraction of the price of a Broncos game.
thumb.aspx

I saw this campaign in lots of Mexican restaurants and Latino shops along with people wearing the shirts on the street. It's such a huge and important market in Colorado that I think it's crazy that CU doesn't make a major push here. An event like you said. Spanish language marketing with advertising on certain radio stations and tv channels with local ads. Restaurants that have bars with tv's that put games on. School programs in Latin communities. This absolutely has to be a thing if CU wants to grow its appeal and reach. I'm glad you brought it up.

The same could be said for Seattle. The city is obsessed with the Seahawks, and there is a plétora of outdoor activities to do on a nice Fall day. Also, Seattle like Denver, is a city of transplants with no allegiance to the local Universities. UW still fills their stadium. I am sure it has a lot to do with the recent on the field success, but UW also has an infinitely better tailgate atmosphere due to being on the water.
The 2 most similar programs to CU in the country based on being in an NFL state and having a university that's a decent drive from the city metroplex while also being peers on the academic front: Washington and Wisconsin. UW maybe even more so due to the population boom being similar with so many transplants, though it's a much larger population.

Anyway, if I'm CU then I'm looking at what those universities are doing well and I'm gonna copy the **** out of it.

Last edited:
But even Meyer and Stoops have some big red flags right now.
I think RG went the right direction with a HC. Find a guy who will build this thing with RG from the foundation up. We need to do this in a way that leaves a legacy so that no matter what fool gets hired as a HC in the future the downside for this program is a couple seasons in the 6 or 7 win range before we can his ass. We can't always be hoping for the quick fix band-aid of a miracle worker HC in order to win at a high level. That was the mistake of the McCartney era -- he made people around CU believe that competitive levels of infrastructure and investment weren't needed in order to be a top program. We must lose that mindset and never repeat those mistakes.

The 2 most similar programs to CU in the country based on being in an NFL state and having a university that's a decent drive from the city metroplex while also being peers on the academic front: Washington and Wisconsin. UW maybe even more so due to the population boom being similar with so many transplants, though it's a much larger population.

Anyway, if I'm CU then I'm looking at what those universities are doing well and I'm gonna copy the **** out of it.

So ... Win?

Back