What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

The two biggest football sponsors renew their support at the end this year. They will not if there is not a change (drastic). And then still might not
Everything Alabaster says is logical. I submit we are not in logical times. I fear that we are so far behind the 8 ball in terms of Nil. We probably will not be able to catch up. There is nothing going on, where are you Lance?

do you notice change in demographics for all the sports in tens of recruiting? It’s real. The Administration that opposes sports in general are working overtime.

im telling you, removal is on the table. They are giddy about it.

we have freshmen Walkons amd walkon freshmen getting glossed as saviors.

It is worse than you can imagine.

Did you know that only 3.5% of the operating budget comes from the state. 49th out off of 50 states

Finally. I will gladly be wrong and take everybody’s crap if I am.

I don’t understand how we could be so concerned about breaking our backs due to a $5-8MM settlement with Dorrell, but also be completely fine with shuttering a brand new state of the art facility that cost $156MM lol

That is a massive capex in the heart of campus that doesn’t just go away when you decide to make less money to prove a point

This is complete nonsense. The same administration that paid Hawkins to go away, got involved in the hiring of Embree and then allowed him to be fired after two seasons of ineptitude, hired MacIntyre and gave him an extension only to approve his firing after a 5 win season, approved the fundraising and expenditures it took to build $200m+ of football-specific facilities, go out and hire an SEC defensive coordinator and expand the recruiting infrastructure and then hand out the richest, guaranteed contract in the state to Karl Dorrell.

Again, their incompetence is unmatched, but there is a huge difference between that and this narrative that CU admin is some kind of boogeyman that is actively trying to get rid of the football program altogether.
You didn't read again.

The same neglect that allowed the Athletic department to keep Hawkins extending past when he should have been fired, the same neglect that not only allowed but pushed the Athletic Department hire Embree, someone almost universally acknowledged to not be qualified to be the head coach of a P5 program, the same neglect that provoked Mel Tucker to be willing to listen to offers and leave, the same neglect that again brought us a head coach that nobody else wanted and who lacked the qualifications for this kind of program.

I didn't say that they want to get rid of the program even though they have a level of antagonism towards it. What I did state, and their record shows this as not just possible but likely, is that they would choose a path of neglect, choose a path of corner cutting and restricting the program, to a point that we end up left out of the selection process for which schools will share in the top tier money and which will end up as second class in terms of conference revenues.

Tell me, what in the past decade has our administration done that indicates that we intend to be serious about having a representative football program. What have they done that says they are willing to hold anyone accountable for what we see on the field.

Yes we build the Champions Center and some significant facilities improvements. And since then what? Our program is a joke that gets worse every year and the administration by their actions says they are perfectly happy with that.

You didn't read again.

The same neglect that allowed the Athletic department to keep Hawkins extending past when he should have been fired, the same neglect that not only allowed but pushed the Athletic Department hire Embree, someone almost universally acknowledged to not be qualified to be the head coach of a P5 program, the same neglect that provoked Mel Tucker to be willing to listen to offers and leave, the same neglect that again brought us a head coach that nobody else wanted and who lacked the qualifications for this kind of program.

I didn't say that they want to get rid of the program even though they have a level of antagonism towards it. What I did state, and their record shows this as not just possible but likely, is that they would choose a path of neglect, choose a path of corner cutting and restricting the program, to a point that we end up left out of the selection process for which schools will share in the top tier money and which will end up as second class in terms of conference revenues.

Tell me, what in the past decade has our administration done that indicates that we intend to be serious about having a representative football program. What have they done that says they are willing to hold anyone accountable for what we see on the field.

Yes we build the Champions Center and some significant facilities improvements. And since then what? Our program is a joke that gets worse every year and the administration by their actions says they are perfectly happy with that.
Yes, as I said, the incompetence has been off the charts, and I never once made the claim that CU will be part of whatever the B1G/SEC league becomes. But, once again, there is a huge difference between that and the administration folding the football program completely, which won't happen and was the entire crux of the discussion.

I have figured it out....since it's abundantly clear they hired a coach in KD who lacks the qualifications to run this kind of program....

instead of making the right changes to find people who ARE qualified to run the program...tank the program to the point of rock bottom so it becomes a program KD IS qualified to run? Instead of bringing new qualified people to run the program, bring the program down to KD and RG's level...amirite?

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

My (misguided) 2 cents: The University needs to treat Football as if it is a major, and not an extracurricular activity. This is fundamentally opposite of what CU has always done, and that is a big reason why we have fallen so far behind the field. Football is such a big business, I cannot for the life of me understand why the administration is opposed to this, when we allow A&S majors to emphasize theater (for example).

I want to see the leadership of the University get themselves to the point of acknowledging that Football needs to be treated as an industry that is worth studying on it's own, and supported as a career endeavor. Students still need to be able to take and pass all basic core classes, and be a competent student (of course). But make Football something that people want to come to CU in order learn about and create a career in. Not a nuisance to the academic elites at CU. I am not just talking about athletes, but also SID programs, coaching internships, AD management programs, and of course playing the sport itself. I think it is completely academically justifiable to make this argument in today's environment, and CU's lack of willingness to do so is our biggest hurdle IMO. If we can get someone in a position of power that is willing to support this argument, then we would actually have a chance at being very good again.

My (misguided) 2 cents: The University needs to treat Football as if it is a major, and not an extracurricular activity. This is fundamentally opposite of what CU has always done, and that is a big reason why we have fallen so far behind the field. Football is such a big business, I cannot for the life of me understand why the administration is opposed to this, when we allow A&S majors to emphasize theater (for example).

I want to see the leadership of the University get themselves to the point of acknowledging that Football needs to be treated as an industry that is worth studying on it's own, and supported as a career endeavor. Students still need to be able to take and pass all basic core classes, and be a competent student (of course). But make Football something that people want to come to CU in order learn about and create a career in. Not a nuisance to the academic elites at CU. I am not just talking about athletes, but also SID programs, coaching internships, AD management programs, and of course playing the sport itself. I think it is completely academically justifiable to make this argument in today's environment, and CU's lack of willingness to do so is our biggest hurdle IMO. If we can get someone in a position of power that is willing to support this argument, then we would actually have a chance at being very good again.
Sports have become a significant industry and the lack of the type of programs you discuss is a blindspot across college academia for the most part.

I know things are bad, and there is definitely some indifference from the administration toward football, but the doomsday mentality among message board fans has snowballed into being disconnected from reality
I don’t disagree at all, but we have moved quite a ways past just “bad.” We are “historically bad.” And to be the worst (or second worst) in college football is truly “stunningly bad.”
So, it’s understandable that reactions would become extreme, if not outright hyperbole.

Yes, as I said, the incompetence has been off the charts, and I never once made the claim that CU will be part of whatever the B1G/SEC league becomes. But, once again, there is a huge difference between that and the administration folding the football program completely, which won't happen and was the entire crux of the discussion.
And I said that folding the program is highly unlikely.

The problem is that benign neglect at the wrong time (now) has a strong potential to see the program left out, not only of the B1G/SEC level but depending on which conferences end up as the second level we could easily be left out there as well.

We know that the top two are looking at payouts of roughly $100 million per team per year. Say that the ACC and B12 end up second tier speculation is about $30-40 million per team.

Leave us with the remnants of the PAC minus Oregon, Washington, and the Arizona schools and what we can put together pays us what? $10-15 million per. More than the MWC but certainly not enough to run a top level program at break even.

So it isn't a question of close the program or not, that question won't even be considered. The question is what kind of a program we end up with and our administration isn't helping.

I don’t disagree at all, but we have moved quite a ways past just “bad.” We are “historically bad.” And to be the worst (or second worst) in college football is truly “stunningly bad.”
So, it’s understandable that reactions would become extreme, if not outright hyperbole.
I think the case was closed on how stunningly, historically bad we are when Howell had to go back 65 years to find a P5 program which had started a season as badly as our Buffs.

I think the case was closed on how stunningly, historically bad we are when Howell had to go back 65 years to find a P5 program which had started a season as badly as our Buffs.
Yep. He even had to go back to 1890 to determine we had NEVER started this bad…. 4 losses by 25 points (and, as I recall, that was when it was just 3 losses like that).

I remember when 70 to 3 was rock bottom.

I remember when a goal line reverse was rock bottom.

I remember when 1st and 10 QB sneak was rock bottom.

Damn this is depressing.
I thought this was rock bottom: “… five straight losses in conference play capped off by an embarrassing 35 point comeback loss to a two win Kansas team all but sent the fan base over the edge…”

Last edited:
well, at least we know that there WAS some talent in the program.

rock bottom for me, looking at a transferred player kick ass and quietly rooting for him because he did the right thing to get out of this ****-show.

DB: Mekhi Blackmon, USC

Blackmon transferred to USC from Colorado and has been a presence in the secondary from the start. He ranks third on the team in total tackles (15), leads the team in interceptions (two) and also has a quarterback hurry and a forced fumble.

Riley praised Blackmon after the Trojans' win over Stanford, saying they trust Blackmon in one-on-one situations in games because of his skill level.

"We like him matched up against anybody," Riley said. "The way he's playing and competing, the guys he goes against here in practice are good players, and it's a battle every single day."

well, at least we know that there WAS some talent in the program.

rock bottom for me, looking at a transferred player kick ass and quietly rooting for him because he did the right thing to get out of this ****-show.

DB: Mekhi Blackmon, USC

Blackmon transferred to USC from Colorado and has been a presence in the secondary from the start. He ranks third on the team in total tackles (15), leads the team in interceptions (two) and also has a quarterback hurry and a forced fumble.

Riley praised Blackmon after the Trojans' win over Stanford, saying they trust Blackmon in one-on-one situations in games because of his skill level.

"We like him matched up against anybody," Riley said. "The way he's playing and competing, the guys he goes against here in practice are good players, and it's a battle every single day."

Haven't seen anything new on Gonzo, but he was projected as a 1st round pick in preseason I think.

We legit had the top CB pairing in the Pac 12 and our coach lost them

And to think we also lost Dmitri Stanley, another outstanding team member and good talent is just unconscionable.
But Dorrell really likes this team, lol.
I think Stanley is/was a mediocre player and he was a grad transfer. Even with a competent coaching staff, I think it was 50/50 he was probably going to transfer. He was never a big part of the offense during his time at CU and he had kind of run his course here, IMO. Through 4 games with ISU he has 7 rec for 81 yards and a TD.

I distinctly remember staying up late to watch CU @ Hawaii in the opener after CU had gone like 2-10, so beginning of Macinytre's third year. The power went out, and I was streaming it on my deck with my phone onto my laptop, and CU like fumbled the opening kickoff and Hawaii recovered, and thinking (after all we had been through in the previous decade), that had to be the bottom.

lol.

Back