What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

I distinctly remember staying up late to watch CU @ Hawaii in the opener after CU had gone like 2-10, so beginning of Macinytre's third year. The power went out, and I was streaming it on my deck with my phone onto my laptop, and CU like fumbled the opening kickoff and Hawaii recovered, and thinking (after all we had been through in the previous decade), that had to be the bottom.

lol.
Yep. Lol.

I think that one kicked off at 11 mountain time for some ungodly reason.

at least the pizza delivery guy didn’t run for 150 yds in that one.

For me rock bottom was the game where Fresno could have easily scored 100 on us.

Honorable mentions: Montana St, Sacramento st, Missouri 58-0 at Folsom, Toledo, and the entire one win season under embree. This year is making a strong case.
Missouri 58-0 was in Columbia, fwiw. I was there. One of only a couple roadies I’ve been to. Left at half time

i've had many feelings that this might be the bottom. but, the fact is there is no bottom. it can and has gotten worse.

many years ago, sitting at a dining room table back east with shirt tail relatives that root for penn state... listening to CU's many many games of not being held scoreless being snapped. on a radio. to someone horrible, and i don't even recall who at this point.

the administration takes us die-hards for granted. they seemingly fail to understand that we do expect some effort on their part to try to win football game. we are not blank check investors in decades of failure.

This season feels better than 2012, but only really because we've lost to P5 and a good G5 team. But tbh, if we had scheduled a decent FBS team, we'd probably get rolled and then it'd feel just like 2012

If RG really wants to embarrass KD, he'd somehow get a game vs Fresno St on the schedule this season. Jeff Tedford and Jake Haener would put 100 on us easy

This season feels better than 2012, but only really because we've lost to P5 and a good G5 team. But tbh, if we had scheduled a decent FBS team, we'd probably get rolled and then it'd feel just like 2012

If RG really wants to embarrass KD, he'd somehow get a game vs Fresno St on the schedule this season. Jeff Tedford and Jake Haener would put 100 on us easy
I'm just glad we aren't playing CSU or UNC this year. Losing to either would be an embarrassment that we may never live down.

Little Women Splash GIF by TrueReal

Rock bottom for me would losing to CSU in 2023 (riding a 13 game losing streak) knowing there isn't another winnable game on the schedule until we play CSU (at CSU) in 2024. Losing in 2024 would be rock bottom, but I won't care by then.

Rock bottom for me would losing to CSU in 2023 (riding a 13 game losing streak) knowing there isn't another winnable game on the schedule until we play CSU (at CSU) in 2024. Losing in 2024 would be rock bottom, but I won't care by then.
You can save time and just not care now. I stopped caring after last season took place with Karl still employed as Head Coach. I always had hope before this. But there really is no hope at the current time.

This is it for me. Let my season tix go for the first time since 1985. Saw the writing on the wall on how bad this would be. All indicators were there and KD is just a horrible coach and I am starting to think a horrible human. His snarky and asshole ways are making this more of a hate thing now. And that is translating to the whole program/AD at this point.

This is it for me. Let my season tix go for the first time since 1985. Saw the writing on the wall on how bad this would be. All indicators were there and KD is just a horrible coach and I am starting to think a horrible human. His snarky and asshole ways are making this more of a hate thing now. And that is translating to the whole program/AD at this point.
I don't think Karl is a bad human being. He was just randomly chosen for a job way above his head.

Thanks, RG!

I don't think Karl is a bad human being. He was just randomly chosen for a job way above his head.

Thanks, RG!
Yep. I believe he's a very hard working guy who has a belief system to be respected. I see him agonizing over the things that aren't working and need to be improved. I even see him willing to make difficult staffing decisions for the good of the program.

The problem isn't the desire, work ethic, character or a lot of other things which have been unfairly attacked.

The problem is that his competency level is "WR Coach" and doesn't have the self-awareness to know that he's not a good Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach. He's like a lot of solid people in our workplaces who should never be more than middle managers. Most are realistic about this, but some make you shake your head because they think they should be President. And we've also seen some of those people attach themselves to someone's coattails and rise to a top job through that - and it's always a disaster.

Rock bottom happens when the football program doesn't exist anymore. We are perilously, perilously close to a point where it basically may as well not exist. Teams ought to look at games against us as having a bye week. I feel like programs that have their **** together could rest their entire starting lineup against and still win by three touchdowns, at least.

And the next game would be worse when the Nubs blow us out in a sea of red at Folsom.

Yep. I believe he's a very hard working guy who has a belief system to be respected. I see him agonizing over the things that aren't working and need to be improved. I even see him willing to make difficult staffing decisions for the good of the program.

The problem isn't the desire, work ethic, character or a lot of other things which have been unfairly attacked.

The problem is that his competency level is "WR Coach" and doesn't have the self-awareness to know that he's not a good Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach. He's like a lot of solid people in our workplaces who should never be more than middle managers. Most are realistic about this, but some make you shake your head because they think they should be President. And we've also seen some of those people attach themselves to someone's coattails and rise to a top job through that - and it's always a disaster.
It's also hard to blame a guy who has been making $400,000 to $500,000 a year for taking a job that pays him 10 times that amount when it is offered, especially at the tail end of his career.

Blame needs to go on those who failed by offering him that contract without giving themselves and out.

It's also hard to blame a guy who has been making $400,000 to $500,000 a year for taking a job that pays him 10 times that amount when it is offered, especially at the tail end of his career.

Blame needs to go on those who failed by offering him that contract without giving themselves and out.

eh. I’ve turned down quite a few lucrative opportunities because I felt I couldn’t execute at the level needed.

A professional, in theory, should understand their skills, their value added, as well as their limitations.

Back