What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

eh. I’ve turned down quite a few lucrative opportunities because I felt I couldn’t execute at the level needed.

A professional, in theory, should understand their skills, their value added, as well as their limitations.
I agree with you. When I was still in the corporate world I turned down some jobs that I knew I could do but I didn't want to make the sacrifices in time and stress required.

That said I never had somebody offer me 10 times my current salary to do something that I had done earlier in my career

The hope is that now he has enough integrity to see that he can't do the job and to be willing to negotiate a buyout and leave.

Yep. I believe he's a very hard working guy who has a belief system to be respected. I see him agonizing over the things that aren't working and need to be improved. I even see him willing to make difficult staffing decisions for the good of the program.

The problem isn't the desire, work ethic, character or a lot of other things which have been unfairly attacked.

The problem is that his competency level is "WR Coach" and doesn't have the self-awareness to know that he's not a good Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach. He's like a lot of solid people in our workplaces who should never be more than middle managers. Most are realistic about this, but some make you shake your head because they think they should be President. And we've also seen some of those people attach themselves to someone's coattails and rise to a top job through that - and it's always a disaster.
I do believe that he cares deeply about CU and making a difference in the kids that play for him.

It doesn’t really matter in the big scheme of everything that is going on, but the fact he hasn’t once publicly pointed the finger at himself in 3 years is very telling to me. A great leader will do this when needed and he’s either too stubborn or simply not who he proclaims to be. You don’t have to look much further than the guy down the hall for a great example of this.

Rock bottom is moving back to my beloved Colorado after being gone since 1991 and seeing the program go 0-12.
Thank goodness for MBB, Avalanche, Nuggets, and even the resurgent Broncos.
I don't think you will be thanking goodness to your Broncos this season.

Rock bottom for me is the realization that my excitement around CU football is solely about the idea of replacing the HC and the ensuing coaching search.

It’s like being a Jets or Jags fan in the NFL where you’re most excited for the draft every season.
It’s worse. In the NFL you have the hope of the 1st round pick!! We have kids choosing D2 over the buffs.

kD is the highest integrity guy that can’t recruit worth a ****.
On a positive note There are awesome Colorado High School kids playing and starting this weekend around college football

Going from being an obsessive fan (we were at one time, we're on Allbuffs!) to being indifferent to buffs football is one thing. I kind of think when indifference turns to hate watching in the hopes that they will fire coaches, AD, and chancellor, we have to be nearing rock bottom...right? Which is where my Fandom direction is very close to being.

eh. I’ve turned down quite a few lucrative opportunities because I felt I couldn’t execute at the level needed.

A professional, in theory, should understand their skills, their value added, as well as their limitations.
Likely difference between your career and that of a college football coach; they fail and still make millions. And in the case of this douchebag, he will get every penny of his contract rather than a reduced amount for performance e.g. Sam Pittman buyout clauses.

I guess the fact that I'm so indifferent to it all and hoping they get embarrassed every week just to get change signals that I've reached my rock bottom. One of my buddies was surprised when I lauged at one of UCLA's comically easy TD runs but that's about all you can do is laugh at this point. And for me I still have my overall CFB passion to keep me fully engaged.

I don't think you will be thanking goodness to your Broncos this season.
Already two wins and they have played meh
I would be happy with 9-8 this year and launching towards the next two years making a SB run.
Compared to 0-12, that is bliss

Already two wins and they have played meh
I would be happy with 9-8 this year and launching towards the next two years making a SB run.
Compared to 0-12, that is bliss
I don't think 9 wins is even a remote possibility because 6 of your games are against your division.... Despite the Raiders being 0-3, they are an above average team. You are the worst team in the best division in football IMHO. Obviously this all has to play out and you can make fun of me if you win this week.... but I think reality sets in for the Broncos this weekend.

The Giants fans were all happy until last Monday night. They were dished a huge dose of reality.

My Eagles are in a division where the Commanders and Giants SUCK.... and the Cowpussies are average.

You and I do not see eye to eye on the AFC West. I think that is the toughest division in the NFL.
Chargers are decimated with injuries.
KCC offense is having major problems due to their lack of a deep threat.
Oakland is incredibly overrated and poorly coached.

Your argument made sense in the offseason. After seeing games, it’s very clear that the Broncos D is good enough to win the division. Offense only has more upside with the playcalling and QB getting in sync.

Chargers are decimated with injuries.
KCC offense is having major problems due to their lack of a deep threat.
Oakland is incredibly overrated and poorly coached.

Your argument made sense in the offseason. After seeing games, it’s very clear that the Broncos D is good enough to win the division. Offense only has more upside with the playcalling and QB getting in sync.
Injuries are a major factor in what has transpired so far for the Chargers for sure.... and the loss of Tyreek Hill has hurt the Chiefs so far. All of which helps the Broncos. However, I think over the 17 game season, injuries tend to even out (unless its the QB) and teams pretty much do what they were expected to. I have been able to watch the AFC West because they have been in prime time games.

I reserve my right to agree with you should the Broncos shut down the Raiders AND score enough points to beat them this weekend. I know this board will jump down your throat if you make ANY incorrect observation.

OBTW, if CU were good, I would be less concerned with the NFL.

Injuries are a major factor in what has transpired so far for the Chargers for sure.... and the loss of Tyreek Hill has hurt the Chiefs so far. All of which helps the Broncos. However, I think over the 17 game season, injuries tend to even out (unless its the QB) and teams pretty much do what they were expected to. I have been able to watch the AFC West because they have been in prime time games.

I reserve my right to agree with you should the Broncos shut down the Raiders AND score enough points to beat them this weekend. I know this board will jump down your throat if you make ANY incorrect observation.

OBTW, if CU were good, I would be less concerned with the NFL.
Injuries do not even out in the NFL. Fading injuries to key players is what helps propel teams to magic seasons and what dooms other teams in the same year.

The Broncos are not guaranteed to be great, but there is tremendous upside in a weaker than expected division.

Injuries do not even out in the NFL. Fading injuries to key players is what helps propel teams to magic seasons and what dooms other teams in the same year.

The Broncos are not guaranteed to be great, but there is tremendous upside in a weaker than expected division.
I had the QB caveat. There is no coming back from a long term QB injury (unless you have Nick Foles). Injuries to almost any other position does not have that big of an effect.

My wife and I were discussing this exact issue this morning...... that the NFL is a league of attrition and injuries.......all teams have injury problems so it comes down to what your system is and how deep your roster is.

I had the QB caveat. There is no coming back from a long term QB injury (unless you have Nick Foles). Injuries to almost any other position does not have that big of an effect.

My wife and I were discussing this exact issue this morning...... that the NFL is a league of attrition and injuries.......all teams have injury problems so it comes down to what your system is and how deep your roster is.
Injuries to Keenan Allen, Joey Bosa, and Rayshawn Slater are absolutely having an effect.

I didn’t read this whole thread so this may be posted already. KD not getting fired this season would be rock bottom. As of right now we are one inch above rock bottom.

Going from being an obsessive fan (we were at one time, we're on Allbuffs!) to being indifferent to buffs football is one thing. I kind of think when indifference turns to hate watching in the hopes that they will fire coaches, AD, and chancellor, we have to be nearing rock bottom...right? Which is where my Fandom direction is very close to being.
Not far behind you, I never thought I'd get to that point. Still hoping for big things from the bball program.

Back