What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

I want a coach with proven success in a major conference; however, I also want somebody with something to prove, who will never be satisfied with beating New Hampshire or CSU, who will never fill the gaping hole in his soul no matter how many points we score against Nebraska or Oregon State. No more mister nice coach. I want a hyper-competitive asshole.

I want a head coach who wants to beat USC, will make beating USC our benchmark, and will burn that into the brains of everybody in the Champions Center. We need someone to hate, and USC fits the bill.

I want a head coach who will run more than 6 or 7 plays a game on offense, will get the other team off balance, and will keep the other team from teeing off on the LOS because they know what whats coming.

I want a head coach who understands the importance of recruiting, especially on the lines. We will never get back to where we were with 2 star projects trying to control the line of scrimmage.

I want a head coach who will play the best players, regardless of seniority. Rick Gamboa, Brent Tonz, Josh Kaiser, should have been riding the pine this year, instead of getting exposed by average athletes and totally destroyed by elite ones. For that matter, they shouldn't have been recruited in the first place, but once you recruit over them, you put them on the bench and keep them there. You don't send the message to your team that being the best player won't get you a job, or that failure doesn't have consequences.

I want a head coach who can talk to big money donors and get them amped up about CU football; our Achilles Heel since the Fairbanks era is that we don't have the kind of big money support that buffers a program from institutional budgetary politics and allows a program to take the long view. Rick George has done a fantastic job of addressing this, but a head coach that can sell the program would be a godsend.

Above all, I want a head coach who knows weakness when he sees it; when he sees it inside the program he will expunge it instead of tolerating it, when he sees it in our opponents he will ruthlessly exploit it, again and again and again without the slightest hint of mercy.

I tenatively state that most if not all of my demands have been met. I decree that beer be freely drunk throughout the realm.

If ahoelsken prefers, he may drink a nice autumnal mead.

Mine is simple: I want a guy who has performed and succeeded in a "big tent" environment of college football.

I look at Hawkins and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or FCS. His record at Boise State and at UC Davis speaks for itself.

I look at MacIntyre and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or, I think, for a P5 program that would be happy with mediocre results and never having to worry about whether the HC was being an honorable Boy Scout.

I want someone who knows what it takes to win at one of the big time elite programs and has thrived under that fire. If CU is ever going to be one of those programs again, we have to hire someone who brings that culture. That could mean a former elite program HC, a current coordinator at an elite program, or someone who has recently left one of those coordinator jobs and proved himself at a lower level program as a HC.

But we need a big tent guy.
Tucker fits my stated criteria.

I really want a head coach that understands the importance of recruiting to CU and assembles a staff with several high effort, good energy recruiters.
Obviously, that’s not enough based on the Embree years, but it should be a big strength for the next HC.
That why I like the idea of
Jimmy Lake or Chip Long.
Tucker hits my top criteria better than any other candidate. Recruiter. I really look forward to seeing the staff he assembles.

Chris Petersen is s boy scout. I happen to think his IQ will continue to have him elevating his program. But maybe not. Above seems to imply that a coach cannot be that way. I suspect that is incorrect.

They say it’s better to be lucky than good. I’ll settle for a coach who knows when he’s got good fortune, and when his luck is running, a good “luck meter”, if you will.

Thus, I think we need a coach who’s name is an anagram of “luck meter”.

Last edited:
They say it’s better to be lucky than good. I’ll settle for a coach who knows when he’s got good fortune, and when his luck is running, a good “luck meter”, if you will.

This, I think we need a coach who’s name is an anagram of “luck meter”.
It's a dangerous game you play: elm re-tuck (for the pun lovers), and for... I'm not really sure, it's just unfortunate, elk rectum.

Back