What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Mine is simple: I want a guy who has performed and succeeded in a "big tent" environment of college football.

I look at Hawkins and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or FCS. His record at Boise State and at UC Davis speaks for itself.

I look at MacIntyre and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or, I think, for a P5 program that would be happy with mediocre results and never having to worry about whether the HC was being an honorable Boy Scout.

I want someone who knows what it takes to win at one of the big time elite programs and has thrived under that fire. If CU is ever going to be one of those programs again, we have to hire someone who brings that culture. That could mean a former elite program HC, a current coordinator at an elite program, or someone who has recently left one of those coordinator jobs and proved himself at a lower level program as a HC.

But we need a big tent guy.

Mine is simple: I want a guy who has performed and succeeded in a "big tent" environment of college football.

I look at Hawkins and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or FCS. His record at Boise State and at UC Davis speaks for itself.

I look at MacIntyre and can say that he's a very good football coach - in the MWC or, I think, for a P5 program that would be happy with mediocre results and never having to worry about whether the HC was being an honorable Boy Scout.

I want someone who knows what it takes to win at one of the big time elite programs and has thrived under that fire. If CU is ever going to be one of those programs again, we have to hire someone who brings that culture. That could mean a former elite program HC, a current coordinator at an elite program, or someone who has recently left one of those coordinator jobs and proved himself at a lower level program as a HC.

But we need a big tent guy.

Miles

Venables maybe? The bottom line for me is we need better coordinators. Look at how hood the defense looked (with comparable talent) with a top flight d coordinator. Get a legit offensive mind who gets ahead of defense, a defensive coordinator that understands how to generate pressure and Mac would be good.

My criteria is Buffs need to come up with more $$ to get top flight assistants. Tough situation right now

Miles - he may not be the best available coach right now, but his intangibles (notoriety - which should positively impact recruiting and hiring a solid staff) will make a huge difference. He's next level for the next 3 years or so, which is what we need right now, IMO.

Miles - he may not be the best available coach right now, but his intangibles (notoriety - which should positively impact recruiting and hiring a solid staff) will make a huge difference. He's next level for the next 3 years or so, which is what we need right now, IMO.
One other thing I really like about the idea of Miles is that he'd be great for booster relations on the fund raising front. RG & Broussard could leverage that into raising the money we need to fix Balch & the west side, build out other facilities, and get the AD endowment to competitive levels.

It's not the main reason you ever hire a coach, but I think it's very important for CU to consider that as a factor right now.

We need a big name that's had P5 success and can hold this recruiting class together. I wish Miles was a bit younger but there is no other coach out there with anything close to his resumé and name recognition that we could get. For all the hate some seem to have for him, he has a NC and SEVEN 10+ win seasons in the SEC. I'd be good with that.

One other thing I really like about the idea of Miles is that he'd be great for booster relations on the fund raising front. RG & Broussard could leverage that into raising the money we need to fix Balch & the west side, build out other facilities, and get the AD endowment to competitive levels.

It's not the main reason you ever hire a coach, but I think it's very important for CU to consider that as a factor right now.
Yet another intangible. Spot on.

A top coordinator at a legitimate top 10-20 school. Also, someone who can come in and recruit well right away (and not the Allbuffs definition of recruiting well).
Case in point -- Mark Stoops changed things at Kentucky because he recruited well. People wondered about the 4* players he started landing and his ability to keep talent home. Former DC at Miami who was hired by UK away from FSU where he'd been their DC. He's not going to win a national championship there because the program just doesn't have that kind of juice, but he's probably the best thing to happen for UK as a coach since Spurrier was there.

I would like a guy who has connections and can build a solid staff. Ideally, he will have spent time at an elite level P5 program but also has head coaching experience.

Miles and Schiano both meet that criteria. Well, so does Bitch Davis, but I think I’d jump off a bridge if we hired him.

Back