What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your main criteria for our next Head Coach?

In my scenario two posts above yours you could in theory get a guy like Bo Pelini to be the DC and maybe an up and comer on offense?
That's the big question, I think. Not so much on the names, but on whether RG is able to come up with $1M-$1.5M for each of the coordinator spots along with $500k or so for a couple other key assistants. Is CU willing and able to go for championships with this round of hiring?

I want a coach with proven success in a major conference; however, I also want somebody with something to prove, who will never be satisfied with beating New Hampshire or CSU, who will never fill the gaping hole in his soul no matter how many points we score against Nebraska or Oregon State. No more mister nice coach. I want a hyper-competitive asshole.

I want a head coach who wants to beat USC, will make beating USC our benchmark, and will burn that into the brains of everybody in the Champions Center. We need someone to hate, and USC fits the bill.

I want a head coach who will run more than 6 or 7 plays a game on offense, will get the other team off balance, and will keep the other team from teeing off on the LOS because they know what whats coming.

I want a head coach who understands the importance of recruiting, especially on the lines. We will never get back to where we were with 2 star projects trying to control the line of scrimmage.

I want a head coach who will play the best players, regardless of seniority. Rick Gamboa, Brent Tonz, Josh Kaiser, should have been riding the pine this year, instead of getting exposed by average athletes and totally destroyed by elite ones. For that matter, they shouldn't have been recruited in the first place, but once you recruit over them, you put them on the bench and keep them there. You don't send the message to your team that being the best player won't get you a job, or that failure doesn't have consequences.

I want a head coach who can talk to big money donors and get them amped up about CU football; our Achilles Heel since the Fairbanks era is that we don't have the kind of big money support that buffers a program from institutional budgetary politics and allows a program to take the long view. Rick George has done a fantastic job of addressing this, but a head coach that can sell the program would be a godsend.

Above all, I want a head coach who knows weakness when he sees it; when he sees it inside the program he will expunge it instead of tolerating it, when he sees it in our opponents he will ruthlessly exploit it, again and again and again without the slightest hint of mercy.

Why would Lupoi leave Saban to come here?
Most coaches have said it wears on you working with Saban. Success is one thing you can’t get anywhere else but if you hate your boss and you want the ability to do your own thing as well as actually get some credit I could see leaving. He could have the number 1 defense in nation and no one will mention his name. It’s all saban. Some guys need that recognition

If it’s Miles (and I hope not), he needs to interview with plan in hand, like Orgeron did at LSU.

Miles + Tupoi as 1.3M DC with no promises, but overtures that he could be next. He’s impressive. Got ahead of himself when he was young, but been flying straight especially under Saban.
Hard pass on Lupoi... he's a walking show-cause penalty

You think we have that kind of money to pay a DC?
We've got $700k into Eliot with $500k into Chiaverini and $400k into Adams right now for our coordinator spots.

That probably has to double if we want to see the types of coordinators that the message board and social media community of fans is suggesting.

Pelini is still getting around $1.5 mil a year from Nebraska. His contract at Youngstown St is only like $215k a year. I would think $500k would get him here no problem. Especially if he thinks he can possibly turn this into a P5 head coaching gig.

We've got $700k into Eliot with $500k into Chiaverini and $400k into Adams right now for our coordinator spots.

That probably has to double if we want to see the types of coordinators that the message board and social media community of fans is suggesting.

just when I think I'm cooling on the idea of Miles, you bring me back in..

just curious, what do you think about Tedford?

And I find it extremely hard to believe that’s even financially possible for us.

just when I think I'm cooling on the idea of Miles, you bring me back in..

just curious, what do you think about Tedford?

Everyone add $100 to their season tickets.

Dude anybody who tells Nub fans to **** themselves should be the head coach here.

So, am I to understand Lil Bo Peep is no longer aligned with these pathetic corn-meth people? Hhaha that's awesome! I vote for this man, if not our new DC, to be the head coach at any B10 'University'. I miss his sideline enthusiasm.

So, am I to understand Lil Bo Peep is no longer aligned with these pathetic corn-meth people? Hhaha that's awesome! I vote for this man, if not our new DC, to be the head coach at any B10 'University'. I miss his sideline enthusiasm.

Petrino and pelini. I love this board.

Pelini is still getting around $1.5 mil a year from Nebraska. His contract at Youngstown St is only like $215k a year. I would think $500k would get him here no problem. Especially if he thinks he can possibly turn this into a P5 head coaching gig.

His last $150k monthly paycheck from the Nubs is January of 2019. After that he is back to DI-AA only salary.

Les Miles gets his monthly check of $125k from LSU thru March of 2023.

we're not going to get dirty on this hire and the staff. and, we don't need to take risks (pellini, petrino, lupoi, etc.) to succeed in the p12. a big reason for this move was to get away from the football factories and academic cesspools. we've done that. we can win and win big- we just need to commit enough top to bottom dollars to build it right.

we're not going to get dirty on this hire and the staff. and, we don't need to take risks (pellini, petrino, lupoi, etc.) to succeed in the p12. a big reason for this move was to get away from the football factories and academic cesspools. we've done that. we can win and win big- we just need to commit enough top to bottom dollars to build it right.

I was also joking with the Pelini reference, and I thought it would be a good reason to resurrect that clip. Its glorious.

As far as your second question, Jon Embree had CU ties-and he won four games in two years. As far as your first, I don't hear much in terms of realistic chatter with regard to his coordinators on here, and we've failed in our search if we're not reaching out to a guy like Jeff Tedford.
If I remember right, Tedford went to Fresno. It’s his alma mater. Not sure he isn’t just as happy as he can be right now, winning at the school he played for. Awfully hard for a guy to walk away from that I would guess.

Gimme

Les Miles w/ OC Helfrich and DC Lake. CU Dream Team.

LOL

If it’s Miles (and I hope not), he needs to interview with plan in hand, like Orgeron did at LSU.

Miles + Tupoi as 1.3M DC with no promises, but overtures that he could be next. He’s impressive. Got ahead of himself when he was young, but been flying straight especially under Saban.

Not sure who "Tupoi" is, but there is no way in hell Tosh Lupoi makes a lateral move to CU.

I heard the coach from UC Davis is a hot name to consider.

Very funky and likes launch it.

Seriously: **** YOU.

That's the big question, I think. Not so much on the names, but on whether RG is able to come up with $1M-$1.5M for each of the coordinator spots along with $500k or so for a couple other key assistants. Is CU willing and able to go for championships with this round of hiring?
I get the impression from RG that he wants championships...I think he'll hit the gas pedal on fundraising to make it happen. I think landing Miles will help open some boosters pockets, sell more tickets and maybe more swag.

If I remember right, Tedford went to Fresno. It’s his alma mater. Not sure he isn’t just as happy as he can be right now, winning at the school he played for. Awfully hard for a guy to walk away from that I would guess.

True, but its hard not to admire the job he's done there. I'm not sure if he'd come, but you gotta make the call.

Really? Cause Leavitt wasnt dirty or taking a risk?

What are examples of football factories and academic cesspools. Is that like Alabama and Vanderbilt? Im not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Back