What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When do we move on from Tad?

Skidog

I originally thought he was a great hire. His teams suck on the road. How long does he last?

End of next year. Sometimes it’s just time to hear another voice.

What's his contract like and what are we on the hook for?

AD has no money.

I think Tad is an exceptional leader of young men and a very good x's & o's coach.
However, he cannot recruit well at all. I would love to see what he could do with a few 4star players and athletic bigs.
RG is not the problem, but he may need to step in and force some assistant coach hires who can recruit California or Texas. If not, Tad's time is limited as his team's performances have been the past several seasons.

Reactions: Val
I'm not a technical expert on hoops by any means, but i see ths as one of Boyle's failings, not a strength. I feel that I rarely see the Buffs run scripted plays (comparing primarily to Wisconsin and VT).
Agree - as a fairly casual observer the long scoring droughts, dramatically inconsistent play on both ends, and collapses with a significant lead look more like coaching deficiencies than player ability. Just my impression.

I recall a few years back the Buffs had a 2-season problem with inbounding passes. Apparently it was eventually fixed, but seemed weird it kept happening game-after-game for 2 seasons.

Okay. I watched most of last night’s game and it was the first game I’ve watched in a few years, so there’s that caveat up front. Ridicule me appropriately, but here’s my uninformed take.

CU is limited talent-wise. M Wright is talented and Bey has potential. Who is this Siewert guy? Laughably awful. Physically, they either look skinny or doughy. No one is imposing. Offensively, they are erratic and reckless. Pretty much a mess possession to possession. They look like they’re playing a pickup game. Defensively, they play okay in stretches then lose their collective minds.

Neither team last night was any good. A conference game between middling opponents. Awful basketball. It’s little wonder the venue was mostly empty.

Last edited:
They have been very unfortunate with injuries and they are still very young. Ease up. Tad is easily the best coach at CU in 4 decades. He does need to improve. Next year Walton will return, the freshmen will get experience and Bey and Kin will have another year. I really thought this was a Tournament team before the injuries.

However, I will say he needs to perform next year.

Stick close. Not as bad as it looked last night.

They have been very unfortunate with injuries and they are still very young. Ease up. Tad is easily the best coach at CU in 4 decades. He does need to improve. Next year Walton will return, the freshmen will get experience and Bey and Kin will have another year.

At this point I think we need to factor in at least one major injury every year.

I remember worrying he was going Kansas.

because kansas wants HC that:

that can't recruit good players
doesn't engage social media
nonexistent in skill development of talent he brings in
whose teams struggle same issues
broken record about defensive metric/rebounding
seems at a loss for basic understanding of Xs Os of ball coaching
teams play heroic individual effort with almost no sense of system/scheme

or simply put because they want to see if playing pickup basketball works in big12?

that's a pretty low bar

Also are we talking the Tad Boyle of his first five years at CU (4 tourney appearances in 5 years,) or the last five years including this one, and yes I am overlapping years with a single tourney appearance and the last three including this one out of the tourney and mostly in the bottom half of a bad PAC12 conference.

I appreciate Tad a great deal but the trend is going the wrong way and I don't see much happening to turn it around.

As I stated before RG needs to have a serious meeting with him. He has earned a chance to know his job is on the line and to make changes but he also needs a deadline.

uncomfortable with the process of how ceal builds into basketball contracts automatic extensions

initial contract gives coach some security
if they can't perform why automatic extensions

idea that boyle, lappe, and payne all got automatic extensions when couldn't compete in conf never made sense
what is risk of letting a non-competitive coach walk?
why does ceal leave cu in position to have payoff fired coaches with three years of automatic extensions on their contracts?

boyle has ONE winning season of conference games in past five years
yet five automatic extensions

payne received automatic extension midway into 1st season going 5-13 in conf

why can't extensions be to reward actually winning games that matter - in conf

uncomfortable with the process of how ceal builds into basketball contracts automatic extensions

initial contract gives coach some security
if they can't perform why automatic extensions

idea that boyle, lappe, and payne all got automatic extensions when couldn't compete in conf never made sense
what is risk of letting a non-competitive coach walk?
why does ceal leave cu in position to have payoff fired coaches with three years of automatic extensions on their contracts?

boyle has ONE winning season of conference games in past five years
yet five automatic extensions

payne received automatic extension midway into 1st season going 5-13 in conf

why can't extensions be to reward actually winning games that matter - in conf
Point 1, Ceal doesn't do the contracts. The only signatures are the AD (Rick George), The Chancellor (Phil), and the coach. Point 2, The extensions are only automatic if both parties agree, i.e. if Rick decides he doesn't want the extension to happen, he notifies that person in writing.

Looking at the schedule.....I see the Buffs finishing 6-12....splitting this weekend...splitting on Washington trip....splitting at home against USC and UCLA...swept on road against same. Splitting at home against Arizona and ASU....losing at home to Utah(who is improving each week...they had a brutal preseason schedule)---Thoughts?

Point 1, Ceal doesn't do the contracts. The only signatures are the AD (Rick George), The Chancellor (Phil), and the coach. Point 2, The extensions are only automatic if both parties agree, i.e. if Rick decides he doesn't want the extension to happen, he notifies that person in writing.

doesn't negotiate with coach or representatives
isn't principal hiring consulting firms to determine comparative salary bands
or isn't a signor on the paper contract?

question to ask is:
if tad were to be let go, who (realistically)
could the buffs get that could move this program forward
seems to me peeps are in two camps
program dysfunctional before (keep boyle group)
program not improving (replace boyle group)

fair to acknowledge what boyle did to program
but is it fair to acknowledge that boyle hit his limit as recruiter and coach?
yes it could go back to old days
but it also could propel buffs to new glory days too
are we afraid of success, or afraid to try for success?

answer unfortunately probably has more to do with football payoffs than boyle's potential

doesn't negotiate with coach or representatives
isn't principal hiring consulting firms to determine comparative salary bands
or isn't a signor on the paper contract?

question to ask is:
if tad were to be let go, who (realistically)
could the buffs get that could move this program forward
seems to me peeps are in two camps
program dysfunctional before (keep boyle group)
program not improving (replace boyle group)

fair to acknowledge what boyle did to program
but is it fair to acknowledge that boyle hit his limit as recruiter and coach?
yes it could go back to old days
but it also could propel buffs to new glory days too
are we afraid of success, or afraid to try for success?

answer unfortunately probably has more to do with football payoffs than boyle's potential
Why do you type like that?

Looking at the schedule.....I see the Buffs finishing 6-12....splitting this weekend...splitting on Washington trip....splitting at home against USC and UCLA...swept on road against same. Splitting at home against Arizona and ASU....losing at home to Utah(who is improving each week...they had a brutal preseason schedule)---Thoughts?

Unless Gatling or another guard gets hot (not much indication that anyone will aside from 1-2 anomaly games), I don't think anything is guaranteed from here. We always struggle in Pullman and they'll have Franks back. It's probably likely that we'll steal 1 or 2 at home, but we've already beat the only 2 teams that are worse than us (and nearly lost to an atrocious Cal team.) I say 4-14 at best. Tad coaching for his job next year.

Okay. I watched most of last night’s game and it was the first game I’ve watched in a few years, so there’s that caveat up front. Ridicule me appropriately, but here’s my uninformed take.

CU is limited talent-wise. M Wright is talented and Bey has potential. Who is this Siewert guy? Laughably awful. Physically, they either look skinny or doughy. No one is imposing. Offensively, they are erratic and reckless. Pretty much a mess possession to possession. They look like they’re playing a pickup game. Defensively, they play okay in stretches then lose their collective minds.

Neither team last night was any good. A conference game between middling opponents. Awful basketball. It’s little wonder the venue was mostly empty.

Lucas Siewert is a career 42.5% 3 point shooter. The mechanics of his jumper is super simple which makes it unlikely to ever become broken. He’s also 6’10 and used to living in a foreign country. Dudes like that get paid in Europe or China until their late 30s and oftentimes tax-free. Now, factor in the current/future growth of basketball internationally and the stupid amount of money China has been throwing around to boost their pro leagues.

He could be able to retire before he’s 35 essentially for shooting 3’s. Do you feel appropriately ridiculed?

Lucas Siewert is a career 42.5% 3 point shooter. The mechanics of his jumper is super simple which makes it unlikely to ever become broken. He’s also 6’10 and used to living in a foreign country. Dudes like that get paid in Europe or China until their late 30s and oftentimes tax-free. Now, factor in the current/future growth of basketball internationally and the stupid amount of money China has been throwing around to boost their pro leagues.

He could be able to retire before he’s 35 essentially for shooting 3’s. Do you feel appropriately ridiculed?
He was awful.

Tad Boyle is an average coach at best. To argue that he is better than what we had before is a very low bar - Ricardo Patton was the only coach with a winning record over that period of time (last 4 decades). Boyle is probably a little better than Patton.

But I also don't agree that you fire a coach to get a different voice - you need a better goal than that. CU ADs have not focused on MBB as long as I can remember. If you are going to fire Boyle you better develop and commit to a plan that makes CU basketball better. Take a hard look at recruiting and what can the program do to improve recruiting. What can they do to increase fan support? etc. I think it is a bigger task than just replacing the coach.

This team is in a seriously bad spot, but I think tad deserves to coach this team one more year and see what he can do with s healthy team. Who knows where this team would’ve been with a legit 5 in Dallas Walton playing along with Bey And Kin? As much as I think this is a sinking ship, Tad deserves that one more year.

Tad Boyle is an average coach at best. To argue that he is better than what we had before is a very low bar - Ricardo Patton was the only coach with a winning record over that period of time (last 4 decades). Boyle is probably a little better than Patton.

But I also don't agree that you fire a coach to get a different voice - you need a better goal than that. CU ADs have not focused on MBB as long as I can remember. If you are going to fire Boyle you better develop and commit to a plan that makes CU basketball better. Take a hard look at recruiting and what can the program do to improve recruiting. What can they do to increase fan support? etc. I think it is a bigger task than just replacing the coach.

If you are going to put the resources to basketball, why not see what Tad can do with a top four budget. Let me put it this way, he has probably been #10 in resources and on average finished +4 or +5 from that spot nearly every year (this means he finishes around 5th or 6th in conference). So why not see if he can consistently finish top four. He has already proven he can do more with less.

If you are going to put the resources to basketball, why not see what Tad can do with a top four budget. Let me put it this way, he has probably been #10 in resources and on average finished +4 or +5 from that spot nearly every year (this means he finishes around 5th or 6th in conference). So why not see if he can consistently finish top four. He has already proven he can do more with less.

Which would mean giving him 3 more years. Next year, with a big budget, doesn’t equal wins. Plus, we know there’s going to be a major injury or two (that’s just how it is).

Back