What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which assistants should CU consider keeping? Your rating.

Kentucky has a top 20 scoring defense this season and Stoops took over playcalling during Eliot's last season.

He is not a good DC.

If the choice is between Stoops and Elliot, give me Stoops!

But if the choice is between Elliot and Coach TBA, who doesn’t know the kids, doesn’t know the system and has to get a year to get his feet under him, definitely give me Elliot.

I have been impressed with his defense this year.

Eliot showed improvement and his last year at Kentucky definitely was not his fault, stoops even admitted it BEFORE this season. I just don’t see a very high ceiling with him, seems like he will always be mediocre.

These kinds of discussions make me really doubt the critical thinking of my fellow Buffs
Yeah, pretty sure any new HC is going to want to bring in his own Assistant Coaches. Or at least I would, then they know where their bread is buttered and commit from the outset on the coach’s vision and culture. But I’ve never been a head coach of a college football team, so who knows.

Since Rick George stated that he wants CU to compete for Pac 12 Championships and National Championships, I’ve been wondering if the AD has the money to compete on such a level. Washington is the standard in the Pac 12.

Their assistant salary pool this year is $5,435,000. CU’s is $3,353,000 which is 62% of Washington’s. To compete with them consistently, I feel that CU should be at least 90% of their salary pool. That would be approximately $4,900,000.

Here is the current salaries with years remaining of current staff:

D.J. EliotDef. Coordinator 1 year$700,000
Darrin ChiaveriniCo-OC/WRs 2 years$500,000
Klayton AdamsCo-OC/OL 2 years$400,000
Gary BernardiTight ends 0 year$311,000
Kurt RoperQuarterbacks 1 year$300,000
ShaDon BrownSafeties 1 year$260,000
Ross ElsLinebackers 1 year$250,000
Ashley AmbroseCornerbacks 1 year$232,000
Kwahn DrakeDefensive line 1 year$200,000
Darian HaganRunning backs 1 year$200,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Keeping some of our assistants would make getting to the 90% of Washington's salary pool easier to achieve because of the amount left on their current contract and the AD wouldn’t have to pay for their respective buyouts. However, I personally would rather let our new HC make the call on all of the assistants regardless of their salary. I know it would make it unlikely that the AD would operate in the black the next year or two, but if RG is serious about competing at a high level, I think it is necessary.

If the choice is between Stoops and Elliot, give me Stoops!

But if the choice is between Elliot and Coach TBA, who doesn’t know the kids, doesn’t know the system and has to get a year to get his feet under him, definitely give me Elliot.

I have been impressed with his defense this year.

The new coach is likely putting in a new system.

I do not get the mentality of so many fans thinking we only needed a change at the top and everything is suddenly okay. Not sure why we fired MM if the staff under him (hired by him) is so good.

I do not get the mentality of so many fans thinking we only needed a change at the top and everything is suddenly okay. Not sure why we fired MM if the staff under him (hired by him) is so good.
What do you call the old “system?”

It is a hypothetical argument because in reality almost all we be gone. I am calling for the removal of:
1. Chev
2. Hagan
3. Adams
4. Brown
5. Ambrose

Keep:
1. Roper
2. Elliot
3. Els
4. Drake

Hardly just change at the top.

It is a hypothetical argument because in reality almost all we be gone. I am calling for the removal of:
1. Chev
2. Hagan
3. Adams
4. Brown
5. Ambrose

Keep:
1. Roper
2. Elliot
3. Els
4. Drake

Hardly just change at the top.

You seem to really like most of the defensive staff for some reason. Glad they will mostly be gone.

You seem to really like most of the defensive staff for some reason. Glad they will mostly be gone.

Like I said, I think that given the situations they were put in this year and the lack of ball control by the offense, I think they did a great job. We just disagree here.

I think about this differently than most-I'm not going to lose sleep over any of them leaving, but here's what I'd say:

Consider keeping Roper, Chev (I'd think these guys would lead the effort to keep the recruits together), and Drake. That's it. Everybody else needs to go.

Like I said, I think that given the situations they were put in this year and the lack of ball control by the offense, I think they did a great job. We just disagree here.
Recency bias. CU has averaged over 29:30 a game in time of possession for the season.

3 = I want him retained
2 = I would not complain if he was retained in some capacity
1 = I would disagree, but wouldn't lose my sh!t if he was retained
0 = I want him gone & would definitely lose my sh!t if he was retained

Kurt Roper (QB/ Interim HC) = 2
Darrin Chiaverini (Co-OC/ RC/ WR) = 2
Klayton Adams (Co-OC/ OL) = 0
Darian Hagan (RB) = 1
Gary Bernardi (TE & H) = 0
DJ Eliot (DC/ OLB) = 1
ShaDon Brown (Secondary/ D Pass Game Coordinator) = 2
Ashley Ambrose (CB) = 1
Ross Els (ILB/ ST) = 1
Kwahn Drake (DL) = 2

Speaking of a new systems, I think that on defense that Mustafa, Antwine and Lang could fit a switch to a 4-3 with Callier and Tchangam as the WDEs (Lang at SDE). Then you have your ILB as Landman with Taylor and Wells as the OLBs.

We don't have to make that schematic change, but I think we have the personnel to be able to do it. Maybe it would even be better because we don't really have a traditional 3-4 NT in 2019 who has shown he can be a plus player as a starter.

Since Rick George stated that he wants CU to compete for Pac 12 Championships and National Championships, I’ve been wondering if the AD has the money to compete on such a level. Washington is the standard in the Pac 12.

Their assistant salary pool this year is $5,435,000. CU’s is $3,353,000 which is 62% of Washington’s. To compete with them consistently, I feel that CU should be at least 90% of their salary pool. That would be approximately $4,900,000.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Keeping some of our assistants would make getting to the 90% of Washington's salary pool easier to achieve because of the amount left on their current contract and the AD wouldn’t have to pay for their respective buyouts. However, I personally would rather let our new HC make the call on all of the assistants regardless of their salary. I know it would make it unlikely that the AD would operate in the black the next year or two, but if RG is serious about competing at a high level, I think it is necessary.

Here's the thing: CU is in position to make a sizable increase to coach pay.

For easy math, let's say that our HC + Assistants is at $6.3M right now.

It's going up significantly, if what I'm hearing is accurate. More than I had thought was possible, actually.

Looking at what would be in the realistic range (and this might surprise some people):

35% increase = total coach salaries of $8.5M
50% increase = total coach salaries of $9.45M
65% increase = total coach salaries of $10.4M

That is a very real look - seriously - at what RG is capable of doing with the new HC and staff as our salary pool. We could very well see CU paying its head coach in the $4M-$5M range and still having the money for a huge increase to the assistant pool.

You do not make the moves that RG is making if the money is not there. He fired him before the season was over. Stated he wanted to play for conference and national titles. Mediocrity would not be the standard. He sent a message and now he needs to get the right guy to build the winner he wants. That also means getting the assistants the new coach wants. That will and should mean most if not all of the current staff will be gone. TIme to cut ties and quit bringing up names of coaches just because they were former Buffs. Go get the best staff you can and build a culture of expectations and winning. That is something that has been missing from CU for decades.

You do not make the moves that RG is making if the money is not there. He fired him before the season was over. Stated he wanted to play for conference and national titles. Mediocrity would not be the standard. He sent a message and now he needs to get the right guy to build the winner he wants. That also means getting the assistants the new coach wants. That will and should mean most if not all of the current staff will be gone. TIme to cut ties and quit bringing up names of coaches just because they were former Buffs. Go get the best staff you can and build a culture of expectations and winning. That is something that has been missing from CU for decades.
Preach

giphy.gif

Here's the thing: CU is in position to make a sizable increase to coach pay.

For easy math, let's say that our HC + Assistants is at $6.3M right now.

It's going up significantly, if what I'm hearing is accurate. More than I had thought was possible, actually.

Looking at what would be in the realistic range (and this might surprise some people):

35% increase = total coach salaries of $8.5M
50% increase = total coach salaries of $9.45M
65% increase = total coach salaries of $10.4M

That is a very real look - seriously - at what RG is capable of doing with the new HC and staff as our salary pool. We could very well see CU paying its head coach in the $4M-$5M range and still having the money for a huge increase to the assistant pool.

Why would anyone rate our current batch of coaches with anything other than a 0 or 1 after reading this?

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CU football is a tens of millions of dollars business. You don't keep a couple guys around an extra year just to save a few hundred thousand dollars. That is the kind of small time thinking that kills programs.

I would agree with @Buffnik that RG both has a plan and has the money in place to execute the plan. If we were in a position of nickel and diming everything I don't believe that RG would be here. He would have no trouble getting a job with the resources needed to succeed.

As I have stated before the decision about the assistants has to be one that the new HC makes. His success rides on that staff and he has to be able to work with them on a level of intensity that doesn't exist in most workplaces.

Drake is a 2/3 and I think he gets kept
Els is s solid 2 and I would want him on any staff
Chiv is a 1/2 can recruit and loves the school. WR and Recruiting would be helpful
Hagan would be good in football administration but not coaching
Roper is a 2 and is a top level college QB coach and has solid contacts throughout the country.
Brown and Ambrose are 1’s that may have a spot or may go
All others are 0

I would say we have a damn good idea about what RG has been up to the last two years or so now, btw.

A big part of me wants to see Chev go just so I don't have to see him called Chiv anymore.

Help us all understand why it is Chev vs Chiv?
His name is spelled Darrin Chiaverini
The “I” is ahead of the “V” and the “E” is after.
Shouldn’t we just call him Chiav?
Is your nickname “The” or just “Og”

Help us all understand why it is Chev vs Chiv?
His name is spelled Darrin Chiaverini
The “I” is ahead of the “V” and the “E” is after.
Shouldn’t we just call him Chiav?
Is your nickname “The” or just “Og”
His twitter handle is: https://twitter.com/CoachChev6

"Chev" is how he abbreviates it as a sound-alike. So I go with that. I don't see why some people insist on abbreviating his last name differently than Darrin does.

Highly unlikely the assistant salary pool increases much if any this year. Too much outward cash flow and a likely increased head coach salary for anyone outside of lake.

Last edited:
Back