What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who is your all-time favorite CU running back?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
So many guys I have cheered for that this one is really tough to pick for me.

EB, Rashaan, Purify, Flannigan, Speedy, Vickers, etc. My favorite was Chris Brown, though. I thought he would have won the Heisman if he'd been healthy throughout his last season.

But I'm starting to feel like Lindsay could end up topping the list for me.

EB's got the all-time records: 3,940 rushing yards and 41 rushing TDs.

Lindsay could actually pass that if he has a senior year like Brown did in his last year.

Taz comes into 2017 with 2,301 rushing yards and 22 rushing TDs.

(Also, EB's got the record for total TDs at 42 and Taz comes into 2017 at 24 so that's very much in reach.)

And what really distinguishes him is that he will almost certainly be the first CU player to finish with over 3k rushing and over 1k receiving yards. He comes into the season with 827 receiving yards for his career. Also 94 receptions, so he'll certainly finish with over 100 and probably close to 150... making him also a Top 10 receiver in CU history.

So, Brown is my all-time favorite right now but I have a feeling that by season's end I'll be moving Lindsay into that spot. The stats alone will likely justify it. Then, throw in the personality, the toughness, the way that dude blocks defensive linemen in pass protection and as a lead blocker when the QB scrambles. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Taz when it's all said and done.

*Side note: Adkins needs 825 yards rushing to get to 2k for his CU career. Was surprised when I saw that and how reasonable it is to think he can join that club if he's the primary backup this season.

Last edited:
Chris Brown was such a freakin stud.... and I also loved Speedy. Having to play on those awful teams, and watching him bounce around in the backfield, avoid tackles to scrape out gains wasn't the prettiest thing ever, but it was impressive.

Flannigan. He is not the best we've had, but he's my favorite.

This. Hard to argue that Salaam wasn't the most talented, he had size, speed, power, moves, and a Heisman and 2000 yard season to prove it.

That though doesn't top hearing the stadium announcer repeating "J. . . J. . . .Fulannnigaan." repeatedly after his runs. In the mind's eye that call is what signified that CU football was back in the big time, able to impose ourselves on other teams without them having much they could do about it.

Favorite implies likability. At least one of the more heralded players from the past wasn't the easiest guy to be around in my few interactions.

JJ Flannigan was always my favorite too.

Lindsay is also nearing the top. He runs hard, says all the right things, and has great hair.

Chris Brown. He played for CU while I was in school (that dominating performance in the 62-36 game will forever be etched in my memory), and I later enjoyed following his NFL career (often by drafting him in fantasy football). I think the reason Ralphie IV is my favorite running buffalo is because she was doing her thing while I was in school as well.

I'll have to see where Lindsay is after this season, as he could end up being my all-time favorite for sure.

A favorite was Cullen Bryant. His senior year was when I arrived as a freshman in '72. Definitely BIG man on campus -- 6'!'', 234#'s. Very strong and bruising. I would hurt when he just walked next to me. A second round pick.

Looking him up now, I didn't realize he died in 2009 at 58.

Loved Chris Brown, but Bryant seemed more powerful, especially back then.

Definitely Rashaan for me, my first game at Folsom was 1994 against Okie Lite when he was on his way to 2,000. I was also a Bears fan and his rookie year had some promise. Just seemed like a genuinely kind and good hearted dude.

Bobby Purify's big runs on a couple of counter plays against the Nubs in the 62-36 game stand out in my memory, including one that was called back. Brown was even bigger in that game and obviously had a better career.

Lindsay is climbing the list for a lot of us. I think he was just as much the heart and soul of last year's team as Sefo was. Those two, along with Chido, will stand out in my mind as the guys that brought Buffs football back to relevance.

Marcus Houston and Darrell Scott get dishonorable mentions; both are probably awesome human beings, but failing to live up to the hype is just so disappointing.

I'd say Rashaan, Cortlen, Brown in my time. I liked Purify as well. I liked James Hill and LaMont Warren too. Taz obviously. If I had to pick one, I'd say Rashaan. It's funny because the year he won the Heisman, it was like Burger King or McDonald's promoting Buffalo Wings. I told my teammates, friends, whatever that Rashaan was riding a buffalo with wings the Heisman in his hands in a commercial. They'd ask everyday where there hell it was. I finally had enough and said I made the **** up. Fun though lol.

Roger Yago. Rushed for -5 vs. K-State in 1990. Mostly my fault. In fairness, I went in for knee surgery the next week and had a case of tape holding it together for that game.
At least you were smart enough to use tape and not other methods.

EB.

I will never forget in pre game warmups against Nebraska in Lincoln, 1990, the rest of the team is doing its thing. He just casually trots around the entire stadium. Right past the NU student section, down the NU sideline. CU spots them 12 points before he tears their hearts out with four 4th quarter touchdowns.

EB took **** from no man.

Good that he did, he was coughing up the rock that day. He got it done at winning time though, can't put a price on that. EB definitely up there.

Back