What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner: DTV deal likely before football season barring last minute snags

Very happy Dish is on board because that has to mean DirecTV can't afford to hold out much longer!

So I got the canned response from DTV again... no surprise. My response:

I am so tired of this canned answer and the "Until then, the majority of Pac-12 football games featuring the most popular teams with national title implications remain available." College football is more than the national title implications for the fans. Fans, your customers, have loyalties to teams, regardless of the team's national title aspirations. My team has no business in national title discussions therefore each time you respond with that answer (also on your website), it is like you are rubbing my nose in it.

So, tell me, what is the cost per user for adding the network? How much for adding to the sports package? I am paying for plenty of channels that I abhor and never watch. You didn't care that all the customers had to pay something extra to have MTV, TeenNick, TBN or LOGO, for example, on regular programming. You can't tell me for a minute that LOGO or TBN has greater viewership and better value to your company or the customer than a sports package. There is NO WAY. I have many channels I pay for blocked so I don't have to even accidentally see that swill.

From the customer's perspective, your argument fails. And NOW you have direct competition to your claim to have the best sports offering. Hell, you even offered MTN until that conference collapsed. I presume I had to pay for it too... you never asked me if it was okay.

Guess what, I subscribe to DTV for this kind of sports programming. The rest of the things I watch can easily be obtained by basic cable. Why am I paying this premium when you are no longer "The undisputed leader?"

"DIRECTV is the undisputed leader in sports. NO MATTER WHAT TEAMS YOU FOLLOW, no matter where you live, NO ONE HAS YOU COVERED like DIRECTV." Meh.

Todays game will be on Channel 445 on Dish.
Full lineup
This weekend, DISH Networks will offer all six Pac-12 Networks games, through the primary Pac-12 Networks channel (413) and two overflow channels (445, 446). The Saturday football schedule is as follows:
  • Noon PT, Southern Utah at Cal, channel 413
  • Noon PT, Eastern Washington at Washington State, channel 446
  • Noon PT, Sacramento State at Colorado, channel 445
  • 3:30pm PT, Fresno State at Oregon, channel 413
  • 7:30pm PT, Oklahoma State at Arizona, channel 413
  • 7:30pm PT, Duke at Stanford, channel 445

This deal is for the national network on Dish and for the regional networks online.

Customers must have at least the Dish top 120 package to get PAC-12 networks after the free preview. The other option is Dish Multi-Sport Package.

Called DTV this a.m. - told them it's shameful that their hated rival scooped them. I want a free HD DVR and was able to get one lined up if I agree to a 2 year contract. I told her not unless they get Pac 12. She told me that they are sending e-mails to 'higher-ups' - she wanted to make sue it was ok that my name and contact info was included in the e-mail.
Have to think DTV will be forced soon enough plus I'm sure the cost is right there on the table and there won't be much wiggle room to negotiate.

wouldn't we assume that Dish stepping up would put additional pressure on DTV?

Yea there's no doubt that this will put the pressure on DTV.

For DirecTV customers, this may be good news. Securing a carriage deal with Dish ups the ante for the Pac-12, and gives the conference a little bit more leverage in negotiations. Dish is carrying the Pac-12 Network, DirecTV, so why aren't you? If nothing else, it'll push DirecTV customers to keep calling and keep pestering the company to carry the network.

http://www.cougcenter.com/2012/9/8/3302163/pac-12-network-dish-deal-agreement

This deal is for the national network on Dish and for the regional networks online.

Customers must have at least the Dish top 120 package to get PAC-12 networks after the free preview. The other option is Dish Multi-Sport Package.

Thats cool, I can stream my iPod thru my apple tv for the online games...George Jetson, bitches...

I could tell I was only seeing Pac 12 national. So I should now be able to watch regional networks online? I was actually checking this morning to see if Dish had come to an agreement with Big 10, which they did, and saw Pac 12.

Glory, Glory Colorado!

:gobuffs:

I could tell I was only seeing Pac 12 national. So I should now be able to watch regional networks online? I was actually checking this morning to see if Dish had come to an agreement with Big 10, which they did, and saw Pac 12.

Glory, Glory Colorado!

:gobuffs:

Not yet. They said it was gonna be a few days before the streaming options were available to dish subscribers.

Dish only has the national feed, but they will offer live games on overflow channels if there's a conflict like today.

Scott is thinking with his brain and we are thinking with our hearts. Hopefully later I will be thinking with my dick.:thumbsup:

"Watching" on gamecast was a real ****ing joy. Watching Sacky st reeling off huge chunks of yardage. Loved it.

Wish I hadn't watched. Don't really care how much football I see now. It's basketball I really want.

Wilner

I’ll admit to being surprised the Pac12Nets reached a deal with DISH before landing DirecTV.
Carriage talks were inching along with DISH — that might be an overstatement, based on what I’ve heard from league sources — and progressing along with DirecTV.
Then, on Aug. 28 (a Tuesday, two days before the first kickoff), negotiations with DTV ground to a halt. Sources have used phrases like “went backwards” and “reached an impasse” to describe the situation.
At that point, the Pac-12 went back to DISH, dangling the opportunity to steal away DTV customers. DISH bought in, and here we are.
A few details on the deal …
* DISH is expected (i.e., no guarantees) to show all football games and the majority of men’s basketball games in HD.
* DISH is only showing Pac-12 National, but in cases of concurrent kickoff/tipoffs, it will provide an overflow channel.
After this weekend — the last big non-conference weekend — there will be only a few instances of the Pac12Nets showing more than one football game at the same time.
The issue will surface again in November during the football/basketball overlap.
* DISH will show the Pac-12 National feed on America’s Top-125 package and above within the league’s six-state footprint and on the Multi-Sport Pack for $9 month outside the footprint.
* The DISH development provides an option for Comcast and Cox customers outside the footprint whose local systems aren’t showing the National feed. (Remember: No National feed means no access to TV Everywhere).
In particular, I’m thinking of subscribers in Washington D.C./Northern Virginia and Chicago.
* The Pac12Nets now have distribution on four of the top-five video providers in the country: Comcast, DISH, Time Warner and Cox. The quartet reaches a combined 53 million homes (approx).
(That doesn’t mean the Pac12Nets are in 53 million homes — that it has 53 million subscribers. It means those providers reach that many.)

I think that people forget that Dish actually picked up the B10 network well before DTV did (I am pretty sure they got more than halfway through the season before DTV caved on that one). When Dish had it, and DTV didn't, they made a big advertising push (especially in B10 country) and picked up a lot of subscribers. The Dish message boards are full of people worried about losing B10 - there's a ton of postings about "the reason they switched and stayed with Dish was because of the B10" and if Dish lets that go now, they're going to feel duped, and leave.

Which leads to where we are currently: I am sure that Dish is going to start advertising hard - and I would just bet that part of the Dish/P12 deal was that the P12 would hold a hard line on DTV, so that Dish could do the ad spend and get the benefit of being the first to carry them.

Or long story short: I think the Dish deal puts some pressure on DTV to come to an agreement, but alleviates the pressure on the P12 to come to an agreement with DTV. So, DTV is going to have to go further to meet the P12's terms, which means that it may be a while. Essentially this was a real life version of prisoner's dilemma, and Dish just won.

For those who have already done the research, are there any important sports pack channels that dish does not get that DTV does? I don't want to make the switch and find out I got duped out of a fox sports regional ,cbs/sec sports channel that I watch. Still can't believe DTV allowed this to happen. At first I did not give a **** but I was so butt hurt at the time that I forgot about basketball dammit!

For those who have already done the research, are there any important sports pack channels that dish does not get that DTV does? I don't want to make the switch and find out I got duped out of a fox sports regional ,cbs/sec sports channel that I watch. Still can't believe DTV allowed this to happen. At first I did not give a **** but I was so butt hurt at the time that I forgot about basketball dammit!
nfl sunday ticket - pretty sure Dish gets everything but that.

Back