What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner's post-spring power ratings

I'm very confident in Fisher with Moeller and White in that mix (playing a lot of "Buff" linebacker in a quasi nickel base).

I forgot Moeller is still here. He has been here forever it seems.

Moeller and Laguda is a solid starting tandem. Fisher is a star in the making, but not sure if he is ready to start yet. White is a wildcard.

I also like the incoming Freshmen at LB. I just hope they can get up to speed fast enough for the UW game. They will be tested in that game.

If Evan White could come in and contribute that would go a LONG way this season. If I were Mac I would be searching the grad transfer market in the next couple weeks.

Might be a slight dog to UW because we are undefeated but that won't last long. Those teams are too talented and I really don't want to see Darnold carve up our new secondary.
We don't face Darnold until November 11th. At that point, it is a seasoned secondary and the game will have slowed considerably.

I also like the incoming Freshmen at LB. I just hope they can get up to speed fast enough for the UW game. They will be tested in that game.
It's too bad some of them will be forced into action - in 4 years I think we'll be bummed that guys like Landman didn't get another year to develop.

It's too bad some of them will be forced into action - in 4 years I think we'll be bummed that guys like Landman didn't get another year to develop.
I choose to believe that he's so good that he'll declare after his junior year so that extra year doesn't come into play.

We don't face Darnold until November 11th. At that point, it is a seasoned secondary and the game will have slowed considerably.
Maybe, there are still some young guys back there and USC has the guys to expose that. Personally I think it is pretty dumb to think we can hang with USC and UW right now, those are both top 5ish teams that dominated us up front last year on both sides of the ball. We had a good secondary in 2015 and it didn't matter because they couldn't be utilized.

Maybe, there are still some young guys back there and USC has the guys to expose that. Personally I think it is pretty dumb to think we can hang with USC and UW right now, those are both top 5ish teams that dominated us up front last year on both sides of the ball. We had a good secondary in 2015 and it didn't matter because they couldn't be utilized.

A LOT of faith in Eliot and a mostly new defensive coaching staff as well.

Fisher is a RS Sophomore who saw a lot of playing time last year and made the most of it. He's definitely ready to start, and if he can't beat out White and Moeller, I still expect him to play quite a bit.

I think Evan White and Fisher are locked in and solid in our 5 DB look. Evan White is the real deal. They will be ready to ball, even in the opener.
Moeller will be in the Buff Backer position, which may not see a lot of time against CSU. He may play safety in that situation just given his vast experience, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's focused on bulking up for the Buff Backer position, where he's a lightweight.

CSU will test our rush defense, and as Duff points out, that's our biggest question mark. We lost a lot of beef up front.

Franke, Coleman, Jackson, Falo, McCartney, Gamboa, White, Fisher, Moeller, & Oliver have starts or significant big game experience.

Drew Lewis, our two JC DL, and a Corner (whoever wins that battle) will be more telling, as will the DL and OLB depth.

Some new combinations in the D backfield will test communication, in game 1 (it always does).

Not hard to imagine hanging with UW much better at home, early in the season, if you assume that our offense will be better and their defense (that lost about everyone) will take a step or two back.

Not hard to imagine hanging with UW much better at home, early in the season, if you assume that our offense will be better and their defense (that lost about everyone) will take a step or two back.
It just seems a lot easier for them to break in 3 new guys in the secondary when they dominate the line of scrimmage like they do, and let's be honest their recruiting has been lights out the last couple of years so replacing those guys is a little easier. Browning was also hurt at that point last season and despite the hot takes around here that he sucks because people watched that game last year I think he is just as good as Montez. I continue to believe the only way we get to 9 wins if if special teams somehow jumps into the top 20 in the country. The defense is going to step back probably into the 70's or 80's, the offense probably up into the 20's or 30's but if the Buffs can improve special teams with the new coaching is should allow for a big jump compared to last year where it cost us a game and made some games appear closer than they really were.

The defense shouldn't regress all the way to the 70's or 80's. We have guys who can play and MM is a defensive guy. I expect a step back, but falling into the 70's is taking three steps back.
I acknowledge the fact that Javier will have to step up. But even if he's merely adequate, we won't miss much on Defense.

A LOT of faith in Eliot and a mostly new defensive coaching staff as well.
This is going to be really interesting to watch. Was it Leavitt or was it Mac that orchestrated the defense? We should be down a bit just from personnel losses, so it will be a bit hard to measure unless the defense is off the charts good or bad.

This is going to be really interesting to watch. Was it Leavitt or was it Mac that orchestrated the defense? We should be down a bit just from personnel losses, so it will be a bit hard to measure unless the defense is off the charts good or bad.
We shouldn't discount Leavitt's influence. The guy had the players ready to play at a high level every week. He is a proven defensive coach. The buck stops with MM, but Leavitt was a huge part of the defensive resurfence last year.

Actually it is very reasonable to drop into the 70's or 80's next year, especially considering this was sort of a down year for the conference offensively. Here are numbers for points per play last season. Not that crazy to think we could slip to 6-9th in the Pac-12 after losing all the pieces we did.
Washington - 8
Stanford 14
Colorado 22
UCLA 35
USC 39
Utah 41
WSU 51
OSU 82
Arizona 111
Oregon 112
Cal 119
ASU 125

Actually it is very reasonable to drop into the 70's or 80's next year, especially considering this was sort of a down year for the conference offensively. Here are numbers for points per play last season. Not that crazy to think we could slip to 6-9th in the Pac-12 after losing all the pieces we did.
Washington - 8
Stanford 14
Colorado 22
UCLA 35
USC 39
Utah 41
WSU 51
OSU 82
Arizona 111
Oregon 112
Cal 119
ASU 125
Points per play or points per game?

The rush defense is the biggest question on the entire team IMO.
Completely agree. Our pass rush pretty much consisted of Jimmy Gilbert last year. Will be interesting to see who could at least be an adequate replacement here. McCartney will help, if healthy, and playing all season. Does Falo step in that role, or whoever plays the "Buff" position?

The defense isn't likely to rank anywhere close to where it did in 2016. You don't easily replace three 5th year seniors on your DL, 4-year starters at ILB and OLB, and 3 senior DBs -- all of whom either were drafted or signed UFA contracts. The idea this year is for the offense to move up into the top 3 in the Pac-12 while the defense slips from #1 but remains in the top half. And, with that, better special teams in all phases.

Seems like Wilner's ranking of CU is just about right. If the AZ schools and UCLA flame out this season, we could be looking at winning big for awhile.

Tom Fornelli (one of my favorite college football guys) breaks down the Pac 12 SOS rankings... Has CU at #11 in the conference..
Buffaloes
Colorado's schedule is affected by a few things. First, while it will host Washington in late September, it doesn't have to play either Stanford or Oregon. It also gets USC in Boulder. That all matters, but the biggest drain on its SOS is its nonconference schedule. The Buffs will play Colorado State, Texas State and Northern Colorado outside the Pac-12 this season.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-usc-isnt-going-to-catch-any-breaks-in-2017/

I don't see too many people holding up this years schedule as a murderers row.

It's weak. We know this. Still have tough games against UW, USC and UCLA. Plus roadies at WSU and UU. If things don't break well, we could be looking at a 6 win season.

Back