What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner's post-spring power ratings

SOS is interesting to look at if we think we are in contention for a playoff spot this year. i do not think that is likely... not impossible, but certainly improbable.

i'd rather take the hopefully easy OOC wins and add them to some good conference wins so that we get a decent bowl game and hopefully recruit well. sustained success matters. we need to get in more game-changers. ongoing over the next few seasons, right now it looks like uw will continue to be good, as will usc. a lot of folks have oregon and stanford staying in that mix too, but there are certainly more question marks with both of them. we could be looking at a relatively open path to a good run over the next few years-- i really think so. i do!

I thought we'd be easiest for sure, but somehow Washington has an OOC schedule against two D-1 teams with three total wins and D-II Montana who's seen better days.

Rutgers (2-10 last year), Fresno State (1-11) and Montana (eighth place in the Big Sky)

I thought we'd be easiest for sure, but somehow Washington has an OOC schedule against two D-1 teams with three total wins and D-II Montana who's seen better days.

Rutgers (2-10 last year), Fresno State (1-11) and Montana (eighth place in the Big Sky)
This is what is so weird about football vs. other sports. They make these agreements years in advance. I checked the 2012 outcomes of all three schools:
Rutgers: 9-4 bowl team
Fresno State: 9-4 bowl team
Montana: 5-6 - so pretty much a body bag game

While they were not trying to schedule a murderer's row here, I'm pretty safe in saying they had no idea it was going to be one of the worst OOC's of any respectable P5 team. Well, outside of the SEC that is.

This is what is so weird about football vs. other sports. They make these agreements years in advance. I checked the 2012 outcomes of all three schools:
Rutgers: 9-4 bowl team
Fresno State: 9-4 bowl team
Montana: 5-6 - so pretty much a body bag game

While they were not trying to schedule a murderer's row here, I'm pretty safe in saying they had no idea it was going to be one of the worst OOC's of any respectable P5 team. Well, outside of the SEC that is.
This is a good point, but the argument is that the "big boy" teams always seem to schedule at least one marquee OOC game a year.

Last year we saw a week one of, LSU v Wisconsin, UCLA v A&M, Georgia v UNC, Bama v USC, Clemson v Auburn.
This year in week one we have, Bama v FSU, Florida v Michigan, LSU v BYU, A&M v UCLA, WVU v VT, Tenn v Georgia Tech.

Ohio State plays OU in week 2, Clemson plays Auburn, USC plays Notre Dame and Texas, so on and so on. Even when scheduling Rutgers in 2012, UW wasn't exactly doing so with the idea that it'd be a good test for them or some kind of premier matchup. Iowa is a huge culprit of this as well.

SOS is interesting to look at if we think we are in contention for a playoff spot this year. i do not think that is likely... not impossible, but certainly improbable.

i'd rather take the hopefully easy OOC wins and add them to some good conference wins so that we get a decent bowl game and hopefully recruit well. sustained success matters. we need to get in more game-changers. ongoing over the next few seasons, right now it looks like uw will continue to be good, as will usc. a lot of folks have oregon and stanford staying in that mix too, but there are certainly more question marks with both of them. we could be looking at a relatively open path to a good run over the next few years-- i really think so. i do!
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like there's too much drain on the program this year to be looking at another P12 south title and Playoff aspirations. in that scenario, I'd much rather have an incredibly easy SOS to keep the momentum building.

This is a good point, but the argument is that the "big boy" teams always seem to schedule at least one marquee OOC game a year.

Last year we saw a week one of, LSU v Wisconsin, UCLA v A&M, Georgia v UNC, Bama v USC, Clemson v Auburn.
This year in week one we have, Bama v FSU, Florida v Michigan, LSU v BYU, A&M v UCLA, WVU v VT, Tenn v Georgia Tech.

Ohio State plays OU in week 2, Clemson plays Auburn, USC plays Notre Dame and Texas, so on and so on. Even when scheduling Rutgers in 2012, UW wasn't exactly doing so with the idea that it'd be a good test for them or some kind of premier matchup. Iowa is a huge culprit of this as well.
Any SEC "marquee OOC matchup" I take with a grain of salt as they only play 8 conference games a year. Guess what 10 of 11 of those games you listed at the top have in common?

Edit - make that SEC & ACC and all 11 games. However, I do give credit to Wisconsin, UCLA, USC, Michigan, WVU, OU, OSU, and Texas (grudingly). You didn't list Oregon vs Nebraska - that one is a credit to both teams and should be interesting as well.

Any SEC "marquee OOC matchup" I take with a grain of salt as they only play 8 conference games a year. Guess what 10 of 11 of those games you listed have in common?
Good point, but it's not like Bama is scheduling Oregon State, Arizona or Cal. Florida scheduled Michigan, LSU scheduled Wisconsin, Auburn scheduled Clemson, etc. So while other P5 conference teams have a 9th conference game against Purdue, Arizona, Rutgers, BC, etc. they are mostly adding a 9th P5 game against elite competition. But what do they have in common?

Back