What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wow. Mizzou LB Michael Sam: "I'm gay."

This for me is the irony of this being news.

Christians will be some of Sam's strongest teammates. They won't condone his homosexuality any more than they condone other teammates who party too much, cheat on their spouses, follow a religion other than Christianity (or are atheist), etc., etc. But a big part of Christianity is caring for and respecting your brothers no matter their sins.

Some of the pro athletes I've associated with spent an inordinate amount of time taking advantage of the groupies chasing them. If coaches cared about a moral high ground related to whom anyone was sleeping with, I think they would last about one week in pro sports.

Some of the pro athletes I've associated with spent an inordinate amount of time taking advantage of the groupies chasing them. If coaches cared about a moral high ground related to whom anyone was sleeping with, I think they would last about one week in pro sports.

Oh great. Now I have to explain to my kid that it's not okay to sleep with everybody and she's gonna **** a football team to spite me.

Oh great. Now I have to explain to my kid that it's not okay to sleep with everybody and she's gonna **** a football team to spite me.

Must. . . .resist. . . . . opportunity. . . . . . to make. . . . .. highly . . . . . innapproriate joke. . . . .. . .about. . . . . . Orr's family (other than daughter. That's not fair game at all)

Not to take this too off topic, but I believe Walter Wink (not our own Whitey) to be a very intelligent theologian. Here's what he has to say. If you are interested in the subject (homosexuality in the bible) I think it's worth 10 minutes to read.

That said, I like the closing paragraph the best:

A bit of a stretch on his interpretation of Romans 1, JMO. I respectfully submit Dr. Wink is a very liberal theologian, and not what would be considered orthodox.

Here's a conundrum: if I would commit a sin punishable by stoning or whatever by working on Sunday, even though the sabbath is saturday, but the church decided it was sunday, and so instead of working on sunday, I go snowboarding, is that ok? Or does driving up 70 count as work?

Must. . . .resist. . . . . opportunity. . . . . . to make. . . . .. highly . . . . . innapproriate joke. . . . .. . .about. . . . . . Orr's family (other than daughter. That's not fair game at all)

I don't have children, so fire away. I was poking fun of logic I've seen exhibited elsewhere.

Nah, she'll just sleep with a football team because she's a slut like her dad.....

Not to take this too off topic, but I believe Walter Wink (not our own Whitey) to be a very intelligent theologian. Here's what he has to say. If you are interested in the subject (homosexuality in the bible) I think it's worth 10 minutes to read.

That said, I like the closing paragraph the best:

Jerk a verse type, context is everything in discerning the messages in the book. Clearly Romans 1 is addressing those who hold the Truth (a Person) in unrighteousness. They once knew and were enlightened. Itching ears get itched. Not hard to figure out who the author is describing here.

[SUP]

18 [/SUP]For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
[SUP]19 [/SUP]Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
[SUP]20 [/SUP]For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[SUP]21 [/SUP]Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[SUP]22 [/SUP]Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
[SUP]23 [/SUP]And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
[SUP]25 [/SUP]Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Look no further than the largest denomination that forbids it's officials to marry.

Plenty of examples to point to in the smaller 501 C3 Corporations who allow marriage.

Sam's dad is pretty upset. He found out when everyone else did. Sounds like he isn't dealing with it very well. He was eating dinner at Denny's (yum) when Michael texted him the "news." He couldn't eat after hearing the news so he went to Applebee's and drank. Denny's? Applebees? :wow:

Sam's dad is pretty upset. He found out when everyone else did. Sounds like he isn't dealing with it very well. He was eating dinner at Denny's (yum) when Michael texted him the "news." He couldn't eat after hearing the news so he went to Applebee's and drank. Denny's? Applebees? :wow:

That's a straight man's restaurant choices.

Not sure why he's talking to the New York Times, though. What goes on in the relationship between myself and my family is a private manner. If I ever had to speak publicly about them, it would be a short and supportive message. Dad really pissed me off in this case. Support your son, asshole. And if you can't, then STFU.

Not sure why he's talking to the New York Times, though. What goes on in the relationship between myself and my family is a private manner. If I ever had to speak publicly about them, it would be a short and supportive message. Dad really pissed me off in this case. Support your son, asshole. And if you can't, then STFU.
1. Dad didn't know.
2. Dad found out via text message at same time as everyone else.
3. Dad reacted poorly and publicly and did not support his child.

Yeaaaaa, I don't think they were all that close or that Sam was surprised by what his dad did.

What dad doesn't realize his son at least might be gay by the time he graduates college? Obviously there is a reason he was never informed.

Dad probably got a phone call from a reporter and didn't really have time to consider his response. Plus, he'd probably had 8 bourbon and cokes at Applebees.

[video=youtube;Olc5C4SXAYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olc5C4SXAYM[/video]

:congrats:

Very strong op-ed.

Most other "news" broadcasts probably went with "We now go live to Asian reporter Tricia Takanawa who is on the scene outside a local Applebee's much like the one where Michael Sam's dad drinks".

Sam's dad is perfectly entitled to be pissed. I'd be pissed too, to just find out my son decided to play football at Mizzou.

Not sure an order of Wonton Tacos and a second Bud Light is going to heal that wound.

His dad is a POS.
I don't think that's fair. He's upset and hurt. Might have been a good idea of his son to, maybe, let dad know a bit sooner rather than spring it on him the same time it hit the press, don't you think?

Back