What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO QB Austin Hinder (Signed to Cal)

Re: '10 CO QB Austin Hinder (Committed to Cal)

He was at the game

According to mapquest, about 3.25 hours each way, and 336 miles round trip.

Nice that he took the time to check out Boulder, I wonder if he was able to come for the weekend and watch any of the other local HS games Friday and Saturday.

According to mapquest, about 3.25 hours each way, and 336 miles round trip.

Nice that he took the time to check out Boulder, I wonder if he was able to come for the weekend and watch any of the other local HS games Friday and Saturday.

:lol:

This team has reached a new low, we are no different than 2006. We will no better off than when Barnett was fired. Although if we act quickly we may be able to salvage the season, keep our current players and maybe even bring a couple of Bluechippers that could start early, after they see they will actaully have a chance with a coaching change.

Miaiva, and J-Fly leaving makes me think it was less the players and all the coach's fault.

This team has reached a new low, we are no different than 2006. We will no better off than when Barnett was fired. Although if we act quickly we may be able to salvage the season, keep our current players and maybe even bring a couple of Bluechippers that could start early, after they see they will actaully have a chance with a coaching change.

Miaiva, and J-Fly leaving makes me think it was less the players and all the coach's fault.

man you sound like a pissed off JimmyBuff. At least he's just depressed about the program (no disrespect though JB - I respect some of your posts and CU support).

Kai and JFly leaving makes you think the players are blaming the coaches? I think Kai moving to fullback has to be questioned, and JFly seems to have wanted to leave for greener pastures. I think they wanted to leave for personal playing reasons - I guess you can say that's coaching. But I don't think that you can then say that all our players are "blaming" the coaches for the field product. Celestine is paying to come back to the team, and he knew what the team is like when he left. All of the other transfers are just players wanting more playing time in the manner they see think they should be utilized. That's fine, and it happens at every program.

I'm really down on the coaching staff after this game, and I'm sure they are also down on themselves. I think Collins and Bandison are targets to be replaced, particularly Collins. However, Hawk and most of his staff have solid resumes.

Calling for a coach's head rarely helps out a recruiting class. If you get a huge name like Saban, sure your recruiting can improve in the middle of the cycle. CU does not have the money or national status to really do this though. Hawk is going to be your coach next year as well as the rest of this season - get used to it.

NO. Thanks though.

I will watch every game, not expecting much, and waiting for the news that anounces our next HC.

It was a pretty shi**y game for him to attend... but I find it interesting that he did at all

I'm still trying to reconcile Hinder being considered one of the top QBs nationally this cycle, even though he didn't make AllState in 3A or win his division last year.

But keeping an open mind: Hinder's stats so far:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school.../steamboat-springs-sailors/football/stats.htm

After 4 games:

47 completions
74 attempts (or 75 if you prefer the Post's stats)
.635 % completion rate (or .62% in the Post.)
2 interceptions

He's not leading 3A in completions, yards, tds, percentage completion, yards per game, but he's in the top 3 or 4 in most categories.

Post stats

Alfred, I'm not disagreeing with you that maybe he's overrated. But you also have to keep in mind the quality of players surrounding him might not be that great. He has the ideal frame for a qb, has been to lots of camps where he's stood out. I think the foundation is there for him to develop into a stud quarterback.

Alfred, I'm not disagreeing with you that maybe he's overrated. But you also have to keep in mind the quality of players surrounding him might not be that great. He has the ideal frame for a qb, has been to lots of camps where he's stood out. I think the foundation is there for him to develop into a stud quarterback.

I don't understand the "quality of players surrounding him" argument. My understanding is that his team is one of the better ones in his league and is at least on par with the talent that other QBs in that league are surrounded with. All things being equal (as they seem to be), shouldn't Hinder put up better numbers than the other QBs if he's a blue chip prospect?

A lot of it is based on projection, based on what the scouts see as raw potential. CU needs a kid to come in and compete right away. We are not at the point where we need raw potential. We need a player.

I'd love to see us get some kid with huge numbers at a top HS in Texas who isn't recruited by UT due to lacking a few inches in height. This formula worked for KU and Mizzou. We need a polished kid, whether from Juco or HS, here in January to compete. Hinder might be great in 3 years or he might be Adam Bledsoe. Scouts are wrong as often as they are right, and I think they are actually wrong at QB more than they are right.

I want the top QB out of Texas not going to UT or OU. Or the next one after that.....

I don't understand the "quality of players surrounding him" argument. My understanding is that his team is one of the better ones in his league and is at least on par with the talent that other QBs in that league are surrounded with. All things being equal (as they seem to be), shouldn't Hinder put up better numbers than the other QBs if he's a blue chip prospect?

I said the quality of players surrounding him might not be that great. I don't know. I haven't watched a Steamboat game since Hinder's soph. year. For all I know the line cant block, the receivers can't get open. I don't know. That may not be the case at all. I'm just saying, give the kid a break. He may not look great now. But I think he has the tools to become a good colligate QB.

A lot of it is based on projection, based on what the scouts see as raw potential. CU needs a kid to come in and compete right away. We are not at the point where we need raw potential. We need a player.

I'd love to see us get some kid with huge numbers at a top HS in Texas who isn't recruited by UT due to lacking a few inches in height. This formula worked for KU and Mizzou. We need a polished kid, whether from Juco or HS, here in January to compete. Hinder might be great in 3 years or he might be Adam Bledsoe. Scouts are wrong as often as they are right, and I think they are actually wrong at QB more than they are right.

I want the top QB out of Texas not going to UT or OU. Or the next one after that.....

I think we have a true stud in Nick Hirschman. Following his stats the kid looks amazing. Plus he seems to really love Colorado Football.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=75141&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d75141

and his stats:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/STKGsONO902mAct6r_aCMQ/football-fall-09/stats-nick-hirschman.htm

Last edited:

Alfred, I'm not disagreeing with you that maybe he's overrated.

I'm trying not to say he's overrated, or that he's incredible.
I'm just watching his season, and wondering why he isn't blowing up 3A.

I get that he is an incredible Camp QB --- and if he loved CU, I'd love him back. But in the meantime, it's perplexing that he doesn't dominate, even given the guys around him.

I guess, we'll know after he's been at CAL a couple of years.

I might be watching the Glenwood Springs/Steamboat game later this season (know a kid on GS team) ... maybe firsthand you can spot talent, regardless of how the rest of the team looks.

And they are 4-0 so far. Can't do better than undefeated.

I'd love to have Hinder, but I'm very happy with Hirschman.
:nod:

All that post junior season work seems to have really had an effect... can't wait to see the film.

I'd love to have Hinder, but I'm very happy with Hirschman.

I think Hirschman's work with Coach Johnson is starting to really show up, but (I am guessing here) I don't think he's going to be ready to compete for a slot for 2 years. I'm not that patient. Our offense will be in peak form NEXT year and the year after and I want to see someone come in (JC probably) who can push Cody and Tyler for playing time. There's a big jump for most HS kids, but some have done it (Reesing for one).

With that said, most of the HS kids that are ready to play seem to be the kids who've been in a Spread their whole life and step right into it here. I think it's a lot less complex in general and takes advantage of athleticm over knowledge.... Just an observation. We are clearly not going spread anytime soon.... JC me!

As I've said before, I have talked to a CU guy who coached against SS in that conference for a couple years, and he isn't exactly torn up about the fact that Hinder seems to be determined to go out of state....

that's OK, he is no longer the top recruit in CO anymore. IF somehow we can get that guy to commit to CU instead of Notre Dame then we will still get the top HS recruit 4 yrs in a row. But Hack will have to be replaced quickly with a top name coach like Shanny or Tuberville for it to happen.

If Hinder wants to go to Cal, let him.

As I've said before, I have talked to a CU guy who coached against SS in that conference for a couple years, and he isn't exactly torn up about the fact that Hinder seems to be determined to go out of state....
I wouldn't be torn if I were the coach either. It's a great story with Austin going to the same school his grandfather went to. I hope he does well at Cal.

I said the quality of players surrounding him might not be that great. I don't know. I haven't watched a Steamboat game since Hinder's soph. year. For all I know the line cant block, the receivers can't get open. I don't know. That may not be the case at all. I'm just saying, give the kid a break. He may not look great now. But I think he has the tools to become a good colligate QB.

I was pretty solidly in favor of recruiting Hinder hard to CU, so I'm actually in the Hinder camp. Based on his arm strength, build, and mechanics... he is pretty much a prototype for the Kiesau (Tedford) offense. But I have been concerned about why he's a camp all-star and hasn't been like a man amongst boys against his HS competition. And if he's a true blue chip, you'd expect him to dominate even if he was playing 5A. Very confusing prospect.

If we do not bring in a JUCO QB prospect this cycle, I will be disappointed.

Is Hirschman good enough to come in and start as a Freshman? If Barkley can do it at USC, why not Hirschman at CU?

Hinder went with Cal. Seems like a solid commit. I just consider him off the radar.

I think Hirschman is going to turn out to be the best QB recruit under the Hawkins regime. He seems to be willing to put in the work on mechanics in the offseason and is very bright so he can actually learn the playbook better than Cody. I think if he could graduate early and get to CU for spring he might make some noise.

Hinder seems like the type that will either wow everyone and start for 3+ years at Cal or he will be one of those that just won't translate the skills to the field.

I think Hirschman is going to turn out to be the best QB recruit under the Hawkins regime. He seems to be willing to put in the work on mechanics in the offseason and is very bright so he can actually learn the playbook better than Cody. I think if he could graduate early and get to CU for spring he might make some noise.

The question is how good does that make him? I like Hirschman, but I really question the staff in this area of recruiting big time.

Back