What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA OG Gerrad Kough (Signed to Colorado)

I've never said player A or player B weren't any good. I've only said that I wish more of the commtis we're getting had offers from other BCS schools. To me, it would show that other BCS coaches, rather than some random **** over the internet, thought the player was worthy of a scholarship. That's it.

But hey, you win. I'll leave and will quit checking this forum. Apparently, my opinion really grates on you and you've taken it personally.

Go Buffs!

First I want to say WELCOME GERRAD! Walk.........i've read many of your posts and despite the bomb attacks coming in your fox hole (i love this site :thumbsup:) I can understand your frustration. Sounds like you feel that for CU to truly compete "with the big boys" that they need to secure more guys with a higher rating and more offers. The problem is more complicated that I think you are really looking at. I know someone else had pointed it out on another thread.........so many of the offers for those "other guys" are coming from a political stand vs really looking at a talented kid that works for the TEAM'S offense or defense. You have no idea how many recruiters believe so much in your philosophy that offers are being made with just that mind set. Case in point (in my son's situation), OSU........had maybe received a couple of letters from them after the sept 1 timeframe came around. Then not much of nothing. They had a verbal from a high ranked receiver. That receiver then decommited and went to A&M because it was a better fit for him (good kid BTW). Interest then seemed to shift to my kid.......was willing to offer if he went to their camp. Decided to commit to CU instead. They then went and offered another kid that did go to their camp that is about the same. The kid has a higher "ranking" from rivals than mine but has no ranking for ESPN U and i'm not sure for Scout. CU has not offered that kid either. So now would you have felt better if the offer was made and then he came back and committed to CU? Same kid. Hasn't done anything different. Just now has a so called "better offer". The game that is constantly being played is who wants you more............not always who is the better talent. You would be surprised at how many kids remember who believed in them first ..........a good homework assignment would be to see how many of the kids that committed to a school and decommited for a "better offer" regret their decision later and transfer after 2 years.

First I want to say WELCOME GERRAD! Walk.........i've read many of your posts and despite the bomb attacks coming in your fox hole (i love this site :thumbsup:) I can understand your frustration. Sounds like you feel that for CU to truly compete "with the big boys" that they need to secure more guys with a higher rating and more offers. The problem is more complicated that I think you are really looking at. I know someone else had pointed it out on another thread.........so many of the offers for those "other guys" are coming from a political stand vs really looking at a talented kid that works for the TEAM'S offense or defense. You have no idea how many recruiters believe so much in your philosophy that offers are being made with just that mind set. Case in point (in my son's situation), OSU........had maybe received a couple of letters from them after the sept 1 timeframe came around. Then not much of nothing. They had a verbal from a high ranked receiver. That receiver then decommited and went to A&M because it was a better fit for him (good kid BTW). Interest then seemed to shift to my kid.......was willing to offer if he went to their camp. Decided to commit to CU instead. They then went and offered another kid that did go to their camp that is about the same. The kid has a higher "ranking" from rivals than mine but has no ranking for ESPN U and i'm not sure for Scout. CU has not offered that kid either. So now would you have felt better if the offer was made and then he came back and committed to CU? Same kid. Hasn't done anything different. Just now has a so called "better offer". The game that is constantly being played is who wants you more............not always who is the better talent. You would be surprised at how many kids remember who believed in them first ..........a good homework assignment would be to see how many of the kids that committed to a school and decommited for a "better offer" regret their decision later and transfer after 2 years.
This sort of stuff is just awesome. Thanks to nik, BB and valdez for building the site so we can get this sort of insight. And of course, to Moett.

This sort of stuff is just awesome. Thanks to nik, BB and valdez for building the site so we can get this sort of insight. And of course, to Moett.

Yeah..........I've said before I wish that more parents would share their experiences so that fans can get an idea of alot of the stuff that REALLY goes. I have MANY stories.....but need to wait until the LOI is signed........not from CU but others. You guys would be surprise........hoping to start a class soon just to help parents and make them AWARE. But really with all that goes on..not really sure the NCAA will ever be able to truly manage...........In this situation I do believe in having a ranking and rating system as a foundation........but so much more stock is put into it that it drives recruiters alot more than people think. Some of the rankings drive recruiters to think that they have "more time" with a kid than they do. If they are maybe a 3 or a 2 star, they figure most elite schools won't offer until senior year or late summer and direct their attention onto the "blue chip" recruits. So the evaluation may've been high on a 3 or 2 star recruit and they figured they had time to circle around later. Another point is inconsistent information on the internet. If a recruiter is seeing inconsistent results in say someone's 40, that may scare them off, thinking something is wrong with the kid. Or if a kid attends a camp the previous year and doesn't attend it the next year......that data still shows up in google searches. if the data isn't timestamped......may not realize its old and things could've changed. They bypass a kid. Case in point, under armour does a nice job of creating profiles for their camp attendees, with all the bells and whistles. If you have a "bad day", those results are posted for possibly a year or longer.......if you don't attend their camp the next year to "erase" the results, you are stuck with them. Tidbits to think about.

Sackman, what were your expectations for this time in the recruiting year? All 4 and 5*'s when we haven't had a winning season since 2005?

First you ask a question, then try to answer it - and incorrectly I might add.

I'm not going to threadjack a recruits thread. If you want to know what my concerns are, they're not hard to find. I would appreciate it if folks would refrain from making assumptions about my opinions on the state of our recruiting efforts thus far, though.

Thanks for posting Moett88. This sort of insight is really interesting and I look forward to hearing more after Feb!

First you ask a question, then try to answer it - and incorrectly I might add.

I'm not going to threadjack a recruits thread. If you want to know what my concerns are, they're not hard to find. I would appreciate it if folks would refrain from making assumptions about my opinions on the state of our recruiting efforts thus far, though.
So you're not going to answer my question? And why make a comment about recruiting but not say anything about your opinion?

Please drop the side conversation or start a new thread. This thread is for discussing Kough with some leeway for discussing items that relate to him (i.e., OL recruiting, CA recruiting, Marshall's coaching/recruiting style, etc.).

Thank you.

Something interesting that was posted on the Scout board yesterday by Jason Jewell, their Southwest Recruiting Analyst. Jewell saw Kough at ASU's 1-day camp. After watching agility drills, he didn't think much of him (sounds like he's kind of growing into his body and still developing, as we all noticed on his film). However, Jewell went on to say that when they got into the 1-on-1s that Kough didn't lose a single rep and was competitive as hell.

Sounds to me like the kind of player Marshall can mold into a very good player for us. He's got a great track record when you give him a guy who has a big frame and some fight in him as building blocks.

Good info nik, hopefully we're just in early on a maturing young man. I still think it's going to be hard to hang onto him.

Please drop the side conversation or start a new thread. This thread is for discussing Kough with some leeway for discussing items that relate to him (i.e., OL recruiting, CA recruiting, Marshall's coaching/recruiting style, etc.).

Thank you.

Something interesting that was posted on the Scout board yesterday by Jason Jewell, their Southwest Recruiting Analyst. Jewell saw Kough at ASU's 1-day camp. After watching agility drills, he didn't think much of him (sounds like he's kind of growing into his body and still developing, as we all noticed on his film). However, Jewell went on to say that when they got into the 1-on-1s that Kough didn't lose a single rep and was competitive as hell.

Sounds to me like the kind of player Marshall can mold into a very good player for us. He's got a great track record when you give him a guy who has a big frame and some fight in him as building blocks.

I'll take the guy who wins the 1-on-1s over the agility drill dude every time. Thanks for relaying...

Sounds like his commitment is firming up but still not quite there:

"Now that Colorado has offered, it just seems right," he said.
But, what if other big schools coming calling?
"I'm pretty solid (on CU) as of right now," he said.

http://colorado.scout.com/2/1087064.html

Kough was finally rated on Rivals as a 2*. He's at a 5.4, which is just below 3* status. A good senior year should move him up.

First Post. Have you guys gotten the update lately on this kid. Apparently his father just died got to be tough to deal with at his age. Also he won't be playing OL this year instead he'll play TE and DE

Article Link
$Rivals$: http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1243899

Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure this had been discussed.

First, I really feel for the kid. I can't imagine how tough it is right now. I'd have trouble holding it together if I lost my dad now, let alone when I was in high school. One thing I will say is that he can rely on Buff fans and especially the family atmosphere of the football program to be there for him. On the football team, the camaraderie is such a big part of the culture and is probably what Embree is most passionate about.

As far as the shift to TE, I'm ok with it considering it's a running offense at his school. I think this will help develop his athleticism and ability to block in space. Since he wouldn't be counted on to play as a true frosh on the OL, I think we can look at this as a positive experience for him in the long-term development process.

I echo the sentiments. Very tough to lose a parent so young.

On the football side, is it possible that he requested the move because CU wants him as a blocking TE?

BigCate -- not sure what your connections are with this young man. If possible, pass on condolences to him and his family from the folks here on AB. I lost my father about 3 years ago, but I'm not a HS senior so I can't even begin to imagine how tough things are for him right now.

Deepest Condolences to Gerrad and his family. Very sorry to hear this.

About Gerrad playing TE and DE, maybe Coach Embree is recruiting Gerrad to play the DE position currently manned by Will Pericak and Curt Cunningham. Big body that can move. That would take care of one DE position. We would be recruiting a speed rusher at the other end where Childera plays, and a quicker DE/LB to play the "jack"

As someone who lost his father while he was in college, I'm sending serious karma Gerrad's way right now. I can't imagine how hard it would be while in high school.

Couldn't have said it better. Hope coach Marshall and crew are giving him all the support he needs.

This may be a dumb question, but can they? I remember reading about the HS basketball player who commited to Michigan only to be in a bad plane crash in which he lost both of his parents and if my memory is correct they had to petition the NCAA to be allowed to go to the funeral because he hadn't signed a letter of intent.

As someone who lost his father while he was in college, I'm sending serious karma Gerrad's way right now. I can't imagine how hard it would be while in high school.

This may be a dumb question, but can they? I remember reading about the HS basketball player who commited to Michigan only to be in a bad plane crash in which he lost both of his parents and if my memory is correct they had to petition the NCAA to be allowed to go to the funeral because he hadn't signed a letter of intent.

They are limited by NCAA rules in what they can do but they can let him know that they have empathy for him and that his spot with the Buffs is secure even if he has some issues on the field this year due to his family situation. With the pressure at home, taking some off about his future could make a big difference.

Seems like a good kid who will get through it fine but it never hurts to let him know that he isn't forgotten and is still important to them.

They are limited by NCAA rules in what they can do but they can let him know that they have empathy for him and that his spot with the Buffs is secure even if he has some issues on the field this year due to his family situation. With the pressure at home, taking some off about his future could make a big difference.

Seems like a good kid who will get through it fine but it never hurts to let him know that he isn't forgotten and is still important to them.

Great point. Stupidly I didn't think of it from that angle. Knowing our coaching staff and the "family" aspect they're trying to build, I have faith in them on this one.

Total oversite on our part here. Kough is reported as an official visitor this weekend, too.

This weekend should solidify things with Gerrad. I always worry about commits who haven't been to campus.

Back