What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO C Josh Scott (Signed to Colorado)

At UNC Boyle recruited guys that fit his system and develop them over 4 years. Hard to argue with the results the Bears are having now. Scott seems to fit into this mold. Of course he's only a high school junior so who knows, he may bust out like Burks did his senior year. What I like best he's 6'9" 200lbs, and he's only a junior. He might not be done growing. Be interesting to see how AAU ball goes for him this summer.
:nod:

Kid could be a legit 7 footer before he is through. Or stay 6'9" with another 30 lbs. Is the article, his coach says he has been averaging a 24 - 11 - 4. That's not too shabby. Got a lot of basketball to play between now and college. I'm glad that we are locking him up now.

Did you read the one about Brock Berglund and how he was going to convince all these big time prospects to come to CU? Whoops...

yeah...I agree. But to add on to this, Berglund was going to try to convince solid DI prospects to play for CU. I'm on the fence if we even should have offered Scott, let alone Gordon. I think they can play DI, but Pac 12?...I'm just not convinced. He's here, so I really hope Josh exceeds all my doubt and puts me to shame.

yeah...I agree. But to add on to this, Berglund was going to try to convince solid DI prospects to play for CU. I'm on the fence if we even should have offered Scott, let alone Gordon. I think they can play DI, but Pac 12?...I'm just not convinced. He's here, so I really hope Josh exceeds all my doubt and puts me to shame.
you've been wrong a lot lately so... :smile2:

Josh went for 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots last night in a blowout win. (66-36)

ESPN has now rated and evaluated Scott. Very positive review.

Bottom Line:
Scott's versatility, length and athleticism add credibility to sound fundamentals which make Scott an intriguing prospect. He plays the game with a motor and is active on both ends of the floor. Even at his present skill level, Scott could be a good fit for Coach Tad Boyle's post play.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130252

I hope he turns out to be a good get. From what I hear, he is probably a bit of a project. But then, most freshmen are. The important thing is that Tad is going after and getting the top in state guys. I think he needs to do that. He may have to bite the bullet form time to time but thats OK.

I hope he turns out to be a good get. From what I hear, he is probably a bit of a project. But then, most freshmen are. The important thing is that Tad is going after and getting the top in state guys. I think he needs to do that. He may have to bite the bullet form time to time but thats OK.

why is it important for us to get the top instate guys? CO is not a hotbed for top D1 bball talent, so we need to first build up the program with the best players available from wherever. If CO just happens to have a kid that fits that bill, great, but let's be honest...CO's top player isn't always worthy of a major conference scholarship. I'm hopeful for Scott's improvement, but as said before, I'm still a little confused on the offer at this point - would've been nice to see him over this upcoming summer.

why is it important for us to get the top instate guys? CO is not a hotbed for top D1 bball talent, so we need to first build up the program with the best players available from wherever. If CO just happens to have a kid that fits that bill, great, but let's be honest...CO's top player isn't always worthy of a major conference scholarship. I'm hopeful for Scott's improvement, but as said before, I'm still a little confused on the offer at this point - would've been nice to see him over this upcoming summer.

downer.jpg

I trust Boyle much more than you. Roberson wasn't heavily recruited, look at what he did this year.

I'm thinking Scott has the ability to be one of those kids that just blows up as a senior. Having him already committed could be a big advantage when a bunch of higher profile schools from out of state start nosing around.

CU doesn't always have to get the top in-state guys. If they aren't good enough then let them go. At the same time CU does need to make sure that when an in-state guy is talented enough to be a quality player that he doesn't get away.

How many of us lamented the lack of a point guard for the Buffs last year? How much better would this team have been with Reggie Jackson who came out of the same Colorado Springs league as Scott plays in as does Gordon. If Jackson is good enough to be first team ACC I would imagine he could have helped the Buffs.

downer.jpg

I trust Boyle much more than you. Roberson wasn't heavily recruited, look at what he did this year.

Hey, I trust Boyle a lot more than me too, and I trust Coach K more than any other coach. Yet...many Duke fans still question even some of his scholly offers. As long as we don't criticize to the point of tearing down, I think all fans have the right to be critical of the programs we support. Don't get me wrong - I hope the offer turns out great and that Scott does extremely well. But just like when we offered Eckloff, I'm just hesitant to be excited about Scott. I need to see more...pessimistic, sure...debbie downer, definitely. But a mere commitment isn't enough to extract excitement out of me...

And MtnBuff and DBT who I initially responded to - YES, CO does have some great HS talent every other year or so. Jackson, Bouldin, etc. Still, our HS bball needs to develop more before we start to focus on in-state kids. Last year there really wasn't any talent, and the year before that, I thought Pierce Hornung was okay...but nothing to be really excited about.

Whatever though - I think I've been a downer enough on these boards. Scott's been offered, he's committed, so I hope he does well.

Problem with your arguement is that, unless I'm mistaken, Eckloff was offered a scholly by JB, not Boyle.

Problem with your arguement is that, unless I'm mistaken, Eckloff was offered a scholly by JB, not Boyle.

that's not my "argument". I'm stating that just because a kid commits doesn't mean I'm going to get all excited about him, regardless of the coach - Boyle, Bz, Coach K, etc. You are correct though - Trey was a Bz recruit.

How many of us lamented the lack of a point guard for the Buffs last year? How much better would this team have been with Reggie Jackson who came out of the same Colorado Springs league as Scott plays in as does Gordon. If Jackson is good enough to be first team ACC I would imagine he could have helped the Buffs.

I think that kid from Cal with the ponytail would have been a pretty good addition to the Buffs too. That guy is a ****ing baller and didn't get offered, apparently.

I think that kid from Cal with the ponytail would have been a pretty good addition to the Buffs too. That guy is a ****ing baller and didn't get offered, apparently.

Good call. Colorado will never be a hotbed of D1 talent but CU has been hurt in the past by missing out on some quality talent that has been here or failing to recognize guys who could develop into quality talent.

The level of HS basketball in Colorado is behind much of the rest of the country so some players will take longer to develop but we can't afford to miss as often as we have on the talent that is here in state. Tad understands that, he probably could have been convinced to stay in state if the coaches had really gone after him, instead he went to Kansas. I can understand a kid going to a Kansas or another really top flight program but we have seen Colorado kids contribute significantly at schools like Wichita State, BC, Cal, Vandy, etc. Some of these kids should have been kept home.

The biggest mistakes CU made

1. Not getting Matt Bouldin
2. Not getting Reggie Jackson
3. Not getting Nick Fazekas

Jorge Gutierrez (PG) - 1st Team All-Conference in the Pac-10 this year for Cal
Reggie Jackson (SG) - 1st Team All-Congerence in the ACC this year for Boston College

Think they could have helped?

From the recent past:

Matt Bouldin (SG): WCC 1st Team All-Conference 2008, 2009 & 2010 (WCC Player of the Year in 2010) for Gonzaga
Nick Fazekas (PF): WAC player of the year in 2005, 2006 & 2007 (2nd Team All-American in 2007) for Nevada

All these guys are from Colorado. CU didn't do much to try to recruit any of them.

I think the key is Boyle is investing in Colorado hoops. Will these first recruits pan out? maybe, maybe not, but he is showing the state of colorado, if you are talented, CU will make a run at you. I think this would help out a lot in the end, and players like Bouldin/Jackson/Gutierrez would be buffs in the future years.

It is easy to always look at next year/Next game/next posession, but Boyle is not only looking at the immediate future, he is looking at the overall future of CU basketball. Something that I havent seen from Patton and definatly not from Bz.

I think the key is Boyle is investing in Colorado hoops. Will these first recruits pan out? maybe, maybe not, but he is showing the state of colorado, if you are talented, CU will make a run at you. I think this would help out a lot in the end, and players like Bouldin/Jackson/Gutierrez would be buffs in the future years.

It is easy to always look at next year/Next game/next posession, but Boyle is not only looking at the immediate future, he is looking at the overall future of CU basketball. Something that I havent seen from Patton and definatly not from Bz.

And it isn´t as if every player from other states has worked out at CU as well. Recruiting is a risky business. Will a kid develop into a top notch player or will he be overwhelmed and ride the bench for four years taking up a schollie. Will he be to good and leave for the pros after a year or two, will he be a good player then not get the job done in the classroom.

No matter where you recruit there are risk, CU does not have to take the top Colorado kids just because they are from Colorado but CU needs to get the majority of the Colorado kids who are good enough to contribute at CU.

The biggest mistakes CU made

1. Not getting Matt Bouldin
2. Not getting Reggie Jackson
3. Not getting Nick Fazekas

For what it's worth, we did try to recruit Bouldin, but I think when it became very apparent he wasn't coming to CU, we stopped recruiting him.

I'm still dumbfounded by why we didn't recruit Jackson.

As for Fazekas...I never have and still don't think too highly of his game. I know everyone can throw his numbers and accomplishments at me, but I've never been to keen on tall, unathletic, rail-thin, face-the-basket big men that fail to raise their game up against better competition. I think Fazekas maximized his abilities and had a great career, but I completely understand why the staff didn't recruit him. This is especially considering that he was really a project coming out of HS - he developed a lot more while at Nevada.

For what it's worth, we did try to recruit Bouldin, but I think when it became very apparent he wasn't coming to CU, we stopped recruiting him.

I'm still dumbfounded by why we didn't recruit Jackson.

As for Fazekas...I never have and still don't think too highly of his game. I know everyone can throw his numbers and accomplishments at me, but I've never been to keen on tall, unathletic, rail-thin, face-the-basket big men that fail to raise their game up against better competition. I think Fazekas maximized his abilities and had a great career, but I completely understand why the staff didn't recruit him. This is especially considering that he was really a project coming out of HS - he developed a lot more while at Nevada.

He would have helped CU though

Absolutely BLEW UP at an AAU tournament in KC. His team won the tournament and was named the MVP of the tournament and now some Big 10/12 schools are sniffing at him.

Tini jumped the gun a bit here. Waiting on a published report on the tournament. An AAU coach who is a member at Rivals posted this info on the premium board 11 minutes before it made its way over here. 24 hour rule, folks.

As long as it's out...

Josh Scott plays for the Colorado Chaos. What's most impressive is that Wesley Gordon and Chris Thomas play for the Colorado Hawks, so this isn't an all-Colorado team or anything. Here's the link to all the AAU teams that were competing over the 3 days: Jayhawk Invitational. Teams like the Compton Magic were in this thing.

Also, here's the schedule for the Chaos from now through the end of the summer:

Tournament Schedule

May 20-22 – Kansas City Classic – Kansas City, Kansas
May 27-29 – Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions – Chapel Hill, North Carolina
July 6-8 – Adidas Invitational – Indianapolis, Indiana
July 8-11 – Duncanville Great American Shootout – Duncanville, Texas
July 15 – Colorado Invitational Camp – Denver, Colorado
July 22-26 – Adidas Super 64 – Las Vegas, Nevada
July 27-28 – Desert Duel – Phoenix, Arizona

Scott will be playing against some great competition and should really develop as a player from this experience. That Bob Gibbons tourney should have some amazing players.

not sure about Creatini's statement that Scott's team won the tournament. It looks like Dreamvision won it all...Chaos won their pool but that was about it. Dreamvision fielded a great team though (Shabazz Muhammed is the best in my opinion next season), so I'm impressed on the Hawks' and Chaos' showing. I hope Josh has a great summer and validates Boyle's scholarship.

Back