What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Paul Thurston (Signed to Nebraska)

I'm not calling for heads or even close to being in panic mode with this recruiting class, but I don't want to be making excuses or rationalizing disappointment either.

It's JUNE!!!!, my friend. Thurston hasn't signed a thing. Give Embree et al at least one full season to show potential players what is in store for them if they come to CU, then we can start talking about what the staff has or has not done. Recruiting is just one aspect - albeit hugely important though highly subjective (see: Stewart, Rodney; Bakhtiari, David; Solder, Nate; at the other end, Scott, uhhhh... what was his first name?).

At this point, I'm a heck of lot more interested in what happens in September-November than I am in June. As many have already said, a body of work to point to come December could change a few minds come February.

It's JUNE!!!!, my friend. Thurston hasn't signed a thing. Give Embree et al at least one full season to show potential players what is in store for them if they come to CU, then we can start talking about what the staff has or has not done. Recruiting is just one aspect - albeit hugely important though highly subjective (see: Stewart, Rodney; Bakhtiari, David; Solder, Nate; at the other end, Scott, uhhhh... what was his first name?).

At this point, I'm a heck of lot more interested in what happens in September-November than I am in June. As many have already said, a body of work to point to come December could change a few minds come February.

Read my other post about the impact of win-loss on the current year's recruiting class. It doesn't correlate. The recruiting benefits (or negatives) are offset by a year.

And while I will always say that the season's a hell of a lot more important than the recruiting ranks, they do go hand in glove. When coaches are being honest in spite of their healthy egos, they readily admit that the vast majority of the time who wins is decided by which team had the better players. We need to recruit well in order to have success and this class is very key to that. It's a huge class that will have to play early.

As I said, I'm not in panic mode. It's definitely early. But you can't tell me you wouldn't be feeling a lot different today if we had verbals from Thurston, Callahan and one of our 4* TE prospects in hand. It's fair to be similarly disappointed as we would be excited had it been the other way around.

Not one single player in the class of '12 will have an impact on the field on '11. I get your point, to a degree, but I seriously disagree on what this staff has to sell. CU, right now, is a very mediocre football team, with brand new coaches, including a head coach and an offensive coordinator who have yet to coach a single game in that position. Once they have actually coached a few games and given all of us - recruits, fans, opposing teams - something to base our opinions, on fine.

I'm with the folks who think this one - and the battle over several other prize recruits in this cycle - isn't over yet.

I don't think anyone is trying to say we're declaring the staff a failure. We're simply disappointed. They need to do better. Hell, if Embree were on here, he'd probably agree. Everyone figured with our ace recruiting staff, numerous 4* OL in state, a 4* TE in state, we were good to go on those positions. At least that's what I thought. Then we lose Baylis, we assume it's ok, we'll land another highly rated one. Well, guess what? There is not any highly rated TEs considering us at this point. We are probably going to lose all 4 4* in state linemen. That's ok, there's always out of state. Except the highly rated ones aren't considering us. I'm simply seeing us having trouble getting big time players committed, which is not a position I thought I'd be in when this staff was hired.

Thurston, Callahan, Baylis, and even Kozan I think all favored us at one point. Then they got better offers and not only have they gone elsewhere, we weren't overly closely considered at the end. This wasn't like Ryan Miller picking between us and Notre Dame. Thurston was choosing between Michigan, Oregon, and Nebraska. That doesn't bother you that we went from leading to not even final consideration in the span of 4 months? It certainly bothers me considering one of the main marks about Marshall is that he isn't a great recruiter. Neither is Greg Brown, but we look considerably better in the DB recruiting vs the OL recruiting.

Read my other post about the impact of win-loss on the current year's recruiting class. It doesn't correlate. The recruiting benefits (or negatives) are offset by a year.

And while I will always say that the season's a hell of a lot more important than the recruiting ranks, they do go hand in glove. When coaches are being honest in spite of their healthy egos, they readily admit that the vast majority of the time who wins is decided by which team had the better players. We need to recruit well in order to have success and this class is very key to that. It's a huge class that will have to play early.

As I said, I'm not in panic mode. It's definitely early. But you can't tell me you wouldn't be feeling a lot different today if we had verbals from Thurston, Callahan and one of our 4* TE prospects in hand. It's fair to be similarly disappointed as we would be excited had it been the other way around.

I would agree that winning on the field this year wouldn't matter as much to out of state kids. I think it will be different in the state though. Guys like Callahan, Thurston, Baylis and Miles are going to be neck deep in Buffs articles come the season. If we have success, that's going to hit them right in the face. Also, these guys are going to be playing games their senior year against Norgard, or Henington along with all-star games. There could be a strange bond that brews between players in that sort of relationship. Bottom line is we're what's comfortable. Just like with Nick Kasa. He had visions of going to the National Champion Gators, wanted to be a gator, SEC dreams, blah, blah, blah. When it came down to it, he had a girlfriend, and she was at CU. Or he was a little fish in a big pond over there, where the impact of one of these four in-state guys would be TRUMPETED by those in state and connected to the program.

I don't think we can say CU is less than a 30% chance for Thurston, Baylis, or Callahan right now. If Auburn, Oregon, or Nebraska have sanctions, bad publicity, or coaching departures, they are going to look at the buffs first as their fallback plan.

Right. And I'm betting Embree would also say "Watch us on Saturdays this coming season. That's where the talk stops and the do begins. Judge us on that."

He might, but he'd also acknowledge that we aren't going to get where we want to go with average recruits. That line of thinking is straight out of the GB book of recruiting imo. There needs to be a blend. Obviously we have to win games and develop talent, but we also need some solid talent to begin with.

Like I said, it's hardly over, nobody is calling them failures, but if we want to get somewhere better than making a bowl game here and there, we need some big time players. I'm not about to email Bohn and call for Marshall's firing or something. It's simply disheartening to look at the recruiting board and realize that we're moving to plans B and C on the OL and at TE.

Kyle via BDC via BZ via RSS is saying the decision was driven by CU's recent abandonment of the J-school.

I get Thurston doesn't want to come to CU, but Nebraska, corn fuskers. That is just unforgivable.

If that's the case, then this can be flipped. The Journalism major still exists and part of the Pac-12 media deal is significant investment from the conference into the media/communications/journalism programs at member institutions in exchange for them generating network content.

Kyle via BDC via BZ via RSS is saying the decision was driven by CU's recent abandonment of the J-school.

What Ringo wrote is that it "might" have hurt CU's chances, just speculation on his part. Im sure it factored into Paul's decision but if he really wanted to come here that badly im sure he would have regardless of the j-school's status. Even without it you can still major in journalism. And if it really is that importaint to him then he should take advantage of the excellent journalism/communications schools at Northwestern or Syracuse not Nebraska.

What Ringo wrote is that it "might" have hurt CU's chances, just speculation on his part. Im sure it factored into Paul's decision but if he really wanted to come here that badly im sure he would have regardless of the j-school's status. Even without it you can still major in journalism. And if it really is that importaint to him then he should take advantage of the excellent journalism/communications schools at Northwestern or Syracuse not Nebraska.

It's pretty simple to sew was happened and why we didn't gain Paul's commitment. Thurston seems to be a family guy, wants the important people in his life to be able to watch him. CU was comfortable, right up the road. We got the early lead on that front but couldn't hold it because of other factors that mattered to him. As recruiting went along and Thurston put his priorities in order, CU sort of faded down the stretch. What we understand or I see as the main recruiting points for Thurston were location, major, and facilities.

While Nebraska is not 20 minutes up the road, it's only about an 7 hr drive. Obviously Paul and the family got comfortable with it taking two trips up there. Not too far, just close enough. Check Nebraska.

The 2nd shoe to drop was Thurston figuring that he probably wants to get into journalism. While CU had the program, they decided to retroactively revert to some sad knock off of the program, tying it's future to another department. Lincoln has a full-fledged program which will benefit Paul. Check Nebraska.

Finally, Paul wants good facilities where he can train at. Nebraska has all-world facilities, probably top 5-10 in country. CU has nice, older facilities. Unfortunately the reality of this is what most of us know, and knew... if you want to compete for the best recruits, you have to compete with the best schools. I don't think CU has to be necessarily the best, but we need to be at least middle of the pack to good. Hell, moving into the Pac 12, WSU, OSU, Cal, UW, SC, Oregon, Arizona and Utah have all made commitments to better facilities for football. CU hasn't made nary a statement of anything except for Bohn/DeStefano putting the onus on fans/students to support the program better if they want anything done. This is stupid thinking. Football is the reason we're going to be making all this money and the AD/admin would be smart to put a plan in place, with drawings & tangible content, in terms of their commitment to the program and new facilities. It doesn't have to break ground tomorrow, it just has to be in the pipes so we can sell it. We don't have that and we can't compete with Nebraska on that front.

Bottom line is I don't think we are out of it for Thurston but it's pretty easy to see why he made the decision he did, based on all the evidence that matters to him being placed on the table. I don't hang this on the coaches as his coaches have never been brought into the mix really. Hard to throw this at the feet of Embree.

i know for a fact that other schools are stressing to o linemen that marshall has never stayed at a school for more than a few years, and that in all likely hood they would have a different o line coach by the time they were graduating.

I think this is an easy objectionable thought if other recruiters are using it. Who goes to a place for a 2nd time in your career unless you love it and plan on being there for good? If i'm Marshall/CU that's how I answer the question. People could say the same thing about Riley at OSU, and it could even be said about Bo Pelini at Nebraska as rumors mount that he's off to Columbus next year. I imagine student athlete recruits get this answered relatively easily, and quickly. The only people that linger on it is bulletin board posters. Just my opinion.

Marshall deserves a stern talking to because he let the J-school go. I expect a line coach to have enough pull with the dean to ensure CU can offer nationally ranked journalism, rap music, general studies, and phys ed degrees.

Marshall deserves a stern talking to because he let the J-school go. I expect a line coach to have enough pull with the dean to ensure CU can offer nationally ranked journalism, rap music, general studies, and phys ed degrees.

It is absolutely inexcusable!

Oh, puh-leaze. I honestly doubt that the loss of the journalism school was the deciding factor. That's just a convenient excuse.

Oh, puh-leaze. I honestly doubt that the loss of the journalism school was the deciding factor. That's just a convenient excuse.

Sacky! You don't understand! The staff had this young man all wrapped up; he was a lifelong CU fan. What other explanation is there? It's the J-School. FACT!

I don't know what the deciding factor was, but DoWork's kid takes the education part very seriously, no reason to think this kid doesn't feel the same way.

Sacky! You don't understand! The staff had this young man all wrapped up; he was a lifelong CU fan. What other explanation is there? It's the J-School. FACT!

I think I've latched onto the real reason. He really is a lifelong CU fan, and he's just ****ing with the nubs and their obnoxious fans. Thurston is allsome!

Back