What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Paul Thurston (Signed to Nebraska)

A reason to be upset: Losing this kid is one thing. Losing him to the Nubs is another. He must have really been put off by Marshall or something to make such a drastic decision. There is reason to be upset. Going from top 4 to no mention really is a problem.

A bigger reason to be upset: It is becoming increasingly apparent we will need to win with lower rated players first in order to get higher rated players interested in the future. Scary and difficult to do.

A reason to be worried: Will the o-line recruiting impact Dillon's commitment? You recruiting gurus know how this stuff goes, but if I am a blue chip QB, I might want to see a few blue chip bodies in front of me.

This is the number one guy I want us to flip back to us. Really, really wanted this guy wearing the black and gold. We don['t play against the nubs so I don't care much about him going there quite honestly. Can see wating to play in Michigan or at OSU, but have been to Lincoln and Omaha. WOuld NOT want to live there for 5 years of my life. Of course, if you want to be worshiped wherever you go, that isn't a bad choice for the ego.

Hey Beak. Thought we'd lost you after the conference switch. Glad you're still lurking. I really appreciate your recruiting insights.

If only you'd drop the Corn. :wink2:

I usually give up the keyboard from signing day until late JOO-LY.

I've lived out here since 1991 and nobody seems to believe I like CU just a smidge less than the Huskers. Comes with living out here. Never said a bad word about them that I recall on here other than debating stats with Unleash maybe and even then it was all factual. I never did get the whole NU/CU thing anyway. I took the stance that all games were important in the grand scheme.

Both teams heading to different Conferences probably still won't make it any easier it would appear from some posts but I will try to play nice!

Ugh they're going to play him at guard too? What the hell Paul!!! You could have been a first round left tackle, but instead you'd rather play guard for the Corn!?!/!!!

Some husker fans were telling me last night that their OL is the biggest issue they have. Very inconsistent play the last few years and although they thought they were loaded on paper each year, they haven't lived up to it. They blame poor coaching.... Especially in the pass protection area. I know their O-L coach has been at NU for a long time (with a brief LOA during Callahan era), but not sure how true this is.

Some husker fans were telling me last night that their OL is the biggest issue they have. Very inconsistent play the last few years and although they thought they were loaded on paper each year, they haven't lived up to it. They blame poor coaching.... Especially in the pass protection area. I know their O-L coach has been at NU for a long time (with a brief LOA during Callahan era), but not sure how true this is.

Their OL coach is Barney Cotton, who was a longtime Osborne assistant that Pellini was "encouraged" to hire when he was hired. He really shouldn't be coaching anymore.

Their OL coach is Barney Cotton, who was a longtime Osborne assistant that Pellini was "encouraged" to hire when he was hired. He really shouldn't be coaching anymore.

He owes everything he knows about the sport to his longtime mentor Patches O'Houlihan. Cotton knows that with fusker OL coaching it's time to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian.

any chance of doing a jedi mind trick on this guy and making him use his force for good rather than bad?

He owes everything he knows about the sport to his longtime mentor Patches O'Houlihan. Cotton knows that with fusker OL coaching it's time to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian.
You can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an ncaa investigation.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to see Paul Thurston up close and personal last night when A West played Boulder. He's a monster of a kid. A West likes to use him to pull and lead block. He's quick. He will need some coaching at the next level though. He wasn't playing a very good team (BHS), and yet the defenders he was blocking managed to shed his blocks pretty quickly. I think he'll do well in a system that isn't designed around him moving the pile. When he can play as part of a cohesive unit, I think he'll do very well. He's still pretty raw, though.

Most of the kids coming out of HS need a lot of coaching.

Hmmmm... OK, let me put it another way - I don't think he's being given the best coaching right now, and that will put him behind other kids at the college level.

There is a shockingly wide range of coaching quality kids get in HS, even at larger programs.

Also it is sometimes hard to make a kid believe they need coaching when they can dominate just on sheer size and strength. One of the advantages that kids get in states like Texas and Florida is that they more frequently see other kids who can match up to them and they understand the need to get better.

That's the problem with Colorado HS football. Even in some of the elite leagues, most teams have a handful of starters that just shouldn't be out there.

That's the problem with Colorado HS football. Even in some of the elite leagues, most teams have a handful of starters that just shouldn't be out there.

:nod:

And one of the toughest things with the big guys is that they've been told their whole lives not to be bullies. If they're not playing against competition that includes guys of their size and ability, they don't develop the same mean streak. I like Thurston and would love to flip him, but I don't believe that we should be taking more than a few in-state kids a year until we have built the right culture in the program.

Also it is sometimes hard to make a kid believe they need coaching when they can dominate just on sheer size and strength. One of the advantages that kids get in states like Texas and Florida is that they more frequently see other kids who can match up to them and they understand the need to get better.

The example I'd use is that play Ryan Miller had as a DT where he chased down that running back like 60 yards downfield. We all thought that meant he had heart and never gave up on the play and was fast for a big guy.

There is 0% chance that would happen in Texas or Florida. I don't care how good of a DT you are, if a RB gets to the sideline and turns it upfield, he should NEVER get CAUGHT by a DT. End of story.

This thread is pure gold. You guys had some hilarious pre season predictions about the Huskers. Sorry we took your OL. Problem? ;)

Meh. We need O lineman so I hope the kid is good. Sadly the reason in states are jumping ship is because you guys aren't winning games.

Ignore Tini's sour grapes. We would love to have Paul Thurston as part of this clas.

Sirles has been pretty good. With that being said the staff certainly failed miserably at in state recruiting. We were on the top group for nearly every top in-state prospect and completely whiffed

Meh. We need O lineman so I hope the kid is good. Sadly the reason in states are jumping ship is because you guys aren't winning games.
Really?, I thought it was because we ran out of unicorns, thanks for clearing that up Kamel....

Back