What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO QB Cyler Miles (Signed to Washington)

I'm wondering if it's such a good move for UW, frankly. One of these two kids is going to end up sitting on the bench for 2 years and then transferring. Meanwhile, they've tied up a scholarship. The more I study this, the more I'm convinced that you take one quarterback per year. No more. Do that and you'll always have 4-5 quarterbacks on the squad all spread out between RS Freshmen and Seniors. If you bunch up your QB recruiting, you're in for problems down the road.

If miles doesn't work out at QB, I could see him with his speed being a WR.

If miles doesn't work out at QB, I could see him with his speed being a WR.

The question is whether that's where he sees himself. A guy who is that highly rated at QB is likely to transfer somewhere he gets to play the position.

Yes, do you realize that Embree probably told Miles to go find somewhere else and told Dillon that he'd be the only QB we take? Not sure why it's a big deal to lose Miles when we already have a QB commited.

Miles references UW's honesty as a big reason for his commitment, so perhaps they told him straight up - you may end up playing safety. I also highly doubt Embree told Miles to go somewhere else...

Although it seems that Miles wasn't too high on CU at any point in his recruiting process, I still think this one hurts. It's not always about recruiting positions - sometimes you recruit football players and eventually figure a way to get them on the field. Miles very well could end up at some other position, and with his athleticism, he could do very well. Plus, he's going inside the Pac 12...

Good luck to Miles - just not against CU.

Meh. I've never gotten the impression that Miles ever actually WANTED to come to CU. For that reason I'm glad he's going somewhere else. Give me guys that want to bleed black & gold.

Only thing that hurts is that come signing day the Denver news hacks will spout off about how one of the top players in the state "got away".

Good luck to the young fella. Not really the decision I would have made given his options, but it wasn't my decision to make.

You absolutely want 4-5 scholarship QBs on your roster at any one time.

UW currently has 2-3. RS Fresh Nick Montana, RS Soph Keith Price, and incoming true freshman Derrick Brown. This in no way should cause problems down the road. UW is still rebuilding from the Willingham-error and is a couple classes away from being loaded at every position.

If UW's plan is to redshirt one of the QBs, then it makes some sense. Still, whichever QB ends up redshirting is going to be questioning his decision and whether he'll ever see the field. Recruiting two blue chip QB's in one cycle sounds great, but I think it can cause issues down the road. Time will tell, I suppose.

I like what kind of QBs UW will have...athletic QBs are my favorite in the videogame version of CFB but will they pass the ball as good as I do in those games? :thumbsup:

I don't think we play UW in 2013 or 2014 but in 2015, we could be facing Miles. Ouch.

If UW's plan is to redshirt one of the QBs, then it makes some sense. Still, whichever QB ends up redshirting is going to be questioning his decision and whether he'll ever see the field. Recruiting two blue chip QB's in one cycle sounds great, but I think it can cause issues down the road. Time will tell, I suppose.

I disagree. And if a QB can't beat out the competition then they don't deserve to play.

Both QBs should be redshirting this year. I would be shocked if either didn't. You never know with injuries but it would be incredibly tough to come in as a freshman, learn an entire pro-style offense playbook, learn to read defenses and start over more experienced QBs....

Anyway, look at USC last year in taking two of the top QBs. I think the question is whether or not a PSA is afraid of competition. If a PSA doesn't want competition and they just want guarantees of the job, they should go to a school that will do that. Sarkisian has established a competitive program. It doesn't matter who you are on the team. The best players will see the field, whether you're a senior or a true freshman. I personally love it when coaches use that philosophy. I like it even more when top-talent PSAs welcome competition. If a PSA at any position was wavering on a school because they were scared of the competition with the depth in front of them, is that really the type of PSA you would want on your team?

All too quickly a position of supposed depth can be decimated by injuries. Especially at QB, you just never know when your number will be called, but if you are skilled and you have a great work ethic you will probably see the field.

I disagree. And if a QB can't beat out the competition then they don't deserve to play.

Both QBs should be redshirting this year. I would be shocked if either didn't. You never know with injuries but it would be incredibly tough to come in as a freshman, learn an entire pro-style offense playbook, learn to read defenses and start over more experienced QBs....

Anyway, look at USC last year in taking two of the top QBs. I think the question is whether or not a PSA is afraid of competition. If a PSA doesn't want competition and they just want guarantees of the job, they should go to a school that will do that. Sarkisian has established a competitive program. It doesn't matter who you are on the team. The best players will see the field, whether you're a senior or a true freshman. I personally love it when coaches use that philosophy. I like it even more when top-talent PSAs welcome competition. If a PSA at any position was wavering on a school because they were scared of the competition with the depth in front of them, is that really the type of PSA you would want on your team?

All too quickly a position of supposed depth can be decimated by injuries. Especially at QB, you just never know when your number will be called, but if you are skilled and you have a great work ethic you will probably see the field.

I understand all that. I think it was a mistake by USC to take two QB's in the same year, too. Especially with scholarship limitations, they're probably wishing they had that scholly for something else. Just a guess on my part. The competition thing is all well and good, and every player comes in thinking he's going to compete. I'm sure both of UW's QB's will compete as well. But the thing is that one of them will win that competition and one will lose. The one who loses will immediately be faced with the prospect of NEVER playing quarterback in college so long as he stays at UW. That's where the problem comes in.

Here's what's going to happen at UW - one of the QB's will win (in another 2-3 years). The one that doesn't win will either A) switch positions or B) transfer. Option C would be to stay at QB as the backup, and by that time, there'll be yet another QB in the pipeline who's younger. The prospects for the losing QB to ever play at QB for UW will be next to zero and he will know that.

I'm a proponent of taking only 1 QB every year.

That can get a bit dicey if something funky happens with the depth chart like a freshman wins the job and it results in transfers. I also get the argument that it's the most important position on the field, competition and depth is essential, and you'd rather have two highly rated guys compete with the loser moving on... than risk putting on your bets on 1 guy and maybe choosing the wrong guy.

Jesus. I assume that Kool-Aid is grape flavored.

From the Denver Post:

- Narrowed his choices down to UW, Illinois, and Tennessee. Did seriously consider CU but just felt that those schools were "better fits."
- Gave a silent committment to UW 2 weeks ago.
- Mainly committed to UW because of his relashionship with their coaching staff.
- Isin't concerned that that they already have another QB committ because wherever he chose would have other QB's and he would have to compete for the position anyways, didn't make a difference that one would be in the same class. Makes sense, but he did also say that Dillon's committment soured him on CU a little bit.

Will defer my feelings towards missing out on Miles until after this HS season....have always known he was good, but kind of wanted to see how he looks and leads a team that isn't entirely stacked like they have been the previous few years (not to see this upcoming years Mullen team won't be one of the better teams in the state again, but not as dominant in previous years for sure)...Best of luck on a good HS season and win another one for my Mullen Boys this year!

Will defer my feelings towards missing out on Miles until after this HS season....have always known he was good, but kind of wanted to see how he looks and leads a team that isn't entirely stacked like they have been the previous few years (not to see this upcoming years Mullen team won't be one of the better teams in the state again, but not as dominant in previous years for sure)...Best of luck on a good HS season and win another one for my Mullen Boys this year!
**** Mullen. Ran all over Chaparral last year :bang: but I don't think this is over yet, especially with an LSU offer now and he didn't visit the majority of his top schools.

Washington? Whatever....I'm heading to seattle next friday, I'll see what this is all about....

I'm not deferring any feelings here, his choosing of UW makes him a future enemy of CU today. You're either with us, or you're against us (yes I know only the Sith deal in absolutes)

Good analysis of that situation. Of course, it ignores next year's recruiting class too. Sark will get a good quarterback in the 2013 and 2014 classes. Those guys will also be competing for 2015 at UDub. I didn't think Miles would commit to CU, but I'm really surprised that he committed to Washington. I had him figured for Illinois.

If Cyler gets more than one practice at QB at UW I would be shocked. They are going to be loaded with QB prospects. What does Cyler going against him to stay at the position. The other QBs will either have more time in the program or be higher rated coming in. Nick Montana is much higher profile coming in because of his dad. You aren't likely to change positions on a guy who you have already invested a year or more of time developing for the position and you aren't going to change positions on the guy who gets national headlines because of his name.

So who do you move, the kid who is new to the program, the kid who is the lowest rated recruit of the bunch, the kid who comes from a state that is a lower recruiting priority than the others, and the kid who is probably the best all around natural athlete of the group and most equiped to play a different position.

Cyler may end up playing corner, safety, wide reciever, even running back for the Huskies but despite what the coaches may be telling him now he is unlikely to ever see the field as a QB.

I think Miles can easily be a starter in the Pac-12.

Will he stay committed to UW? Who knows.

UW is starting to get talent again in QB depth, and Derrick Brown was a huge get for this year's incoming class as well which is overlooked by a lot of people. I don't think UW is looking at Miles as anything other than QB. The question is will the competition be more than he wants?

FWIW I'm not sure Montana will finish his career at UW. I have no inside information but if Price holds on to QB1 and with the youngsters coming in he may look for opportunity elsewhere.

All I know is you never know until signing day what is going to happen.

Cyler will get plenty of time to develop as a QB there. Not one practice!

Who cares how high profile Montana was because of his Dad? Does that scare anyone?

Rivals Ratings
Miles (2012) - 5.8 rating
Brown (2011) - 5.7 rating (but offer list did not support this. Rivals rates him very high)
Montana (2010) - 5.7 rating

Things could change down the road on the QB situation. One never knows. I once thought Brock B was a solid commit...

Montana very well may transfer or he may win the QB job. Either way they are starting a Soph. right now at QB who will likely start the next 3 years. That means Miles will have an opportunity to compete for the job as a RS Soph against some stiff competition.

Care level is low. I wish Cyler the best, but he's going to have a tough time seeing time in the next 3 years. Montana's kid is pretty good, Price isn't bad, and he's in the same class as the hometown hero who plays just like Jake Locker (Lindquist). There's going to be a lot of transferring at the QB position in the next couple of years at UW.

Not sure what his long term goals are, but it's a good school in a nice area. He could do a lot worse. Good luck to him.

Back